Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
NASA is one of the few applications of HoloLens that makes tons of sense, they're already using it on the ISS I'm pretty sure. Since they have tons of people on the ground but only a few astronauts in space, its easier to just design programs and have the astronauts put on the hololens and follow the on-screen instructions than it is to fully train the astronauts on everything. The hololens can actually highlight elements like "turn the red screw" and have a part glow, so its pretty fantastic for that kinda stuff.

And yeah, I'd imagine that NASA and the military are both pretty heavy into VR training. The military had VR training back in the 90s even when it was super lovely.

Still, practical applications are few and far between for now. The resolution limits and the strain of wearing an HMD is going to take some improvement before people want to work all day in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I know VR is awesome for games already, but does anyone have any experience with how it's being used outside of gaming? Like, for scientific, artistic and CAD purposes. I'd love to know some of the ways it's being utilised.

If doctors can find a use for Kinect of all things, I can only imagine how useful VR must be.

E: I've played a couple of flatscreen games in Bigscreen but it was only for a giggle, really. I just wanted to see it on a cinema screen. Would never consider serious flatscreen play in VR.
VR isn't super practical for design but its actually getting a lot of use for visualization since its fairly trivial to bring CAD files in. Dassault is actually moving towards native VR support in Solidworks and Autodesk mentions it from time to time but its hard to know exactly how seriously they're taking it.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Stick100 posted:

But I've never tried VorpX and just got BigScreen so maybe once I try them I'll use a VR headset to play flat-screen games. Do you have any suggestions on how to best use BigScreen with flatscreen games? Could you talk a bit about VorpX, I've never tried it and can't quite understand how it helps.

I use VorpX for any game that supports either Z buffer or Geometric 3D. New Vegas is a perfect example. It gives me amazing geometric 3D; to me the addition of 3D is worth it and makes it far more immersive in my headset over a flat 2D monitor. The extra immersion of 3D plus positional and rotational tracking makes it impossible for me to play New Vegas any other way except in my headset.

For Big Screen I use it along with Reshade and Depth 3D to get Z buffer 3D. A perfect example of a game that works well in Z buffer 3D in Big Screen using Depth 3D is Prey. Even though it's a virtual screen, a giant 3D virtual screen is just much more immersive for me than playing it on a monitor.

Even games that I can't get working in 3D like Battlegrounds are great in Big Screen because I can setup a multiplayer VLAN room and get other people who also own the game to join in and play it with me. We can all have our own personal virtual screens and even project all of our screens on a giant cinema wall split screen style. With the new streaming engine it works perfectly and it really feels like a LAN party where that I am actually with all of these people in the same room. Also even a 2D virtual screen is pretty immersive simply due to the sensory deprivation of having a headset on; yes I am one of those people who used to stare really close to my monitor as a kid so I wouldn't see the outside environment.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 12, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

iceaim posted:

I use VorpX for any game that supports either Z buffer or Geometric 3D. New Vegas is a perfect example. It gives me amazing geometric 3D; to me the addition of 3D is worth it and makes it far more immersive in my headset over a flat 2D monitor. The extra immersion of 3D plus positional and rotational tracking makes it impossible for me to play New Vegas any other way except in my headset.

For Big Screen I use it along with Reshade and Depth 3D to get Z buffer 3D. A perfect example of a game that works well in Z buffer 3D in Big Screen using Depth 3D is Prey. Even though it's a virtual screen, a giant 3D virtual screen is just much more immersive for me than playing it on a monitor.

Even games that I can't get working in 3D like Battlegrounds are great in Big Screen because I can setup a multiplayer VLAN room and get other people who also own the game to join in and play it with me. We can all have our own personal virtual screens and even project all of our screens on a giant cinema wall split screen style. With the new streaming engine it works perfectly and it really feels like a LAN party where that I am actually with all of these people in the same room. Also even a 2D virtual screen is pretty immersive simply due to the sensory deprivation of having a headset on; yes I am one of those people who used to stare really close to my monitor as a kid so I wouldn't see the outside environment.

3D is cool and all but with all my testing with VorpX and one other tech (forget the name) I could never get either of them to control accurately and give me the feeling of immersion that I get from proper VR games. It always felt like I was controlling a mouse with my head instead of actually being in the game world.

And that's ignoring all the issues you run into with controls and visuals on games that weren't designed for 3D or VR.

Playing multiplayer games in a virtual lan sounds pretty cool but I think I'd rather use my normal monitor in the long run for 2D games. Hmmm, I wonder if you could do some kind of hybrid approach, play on your own monitor than put on an HMD to look around the lan at other people's machines?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Thanks for the replies, it makes sense that it wouldn't be considered as a powerhouse for design applications yet. I'm excited to see the potential applications it'll have outside of gaming, that sort of stuff is always fascinating to me.

I got my third sensor today after using a two sensor setup for the better part of the year, and while it doesn't sound amazing on its own - a third sensor, whoop de doo - there's no denying that not having to worry about blindspots is an awesome feeling. It's actually surprising how the little bugbear of occasionally losing a hand can detract from the overall enjoyment of a game - Pavlov feels like a much better experience now I don't have to think about how I should be holding my gun when rotated a specific way. I also didn't realise the sensor came with a 16ft(!) extension cable, something my dinky playspace doesn't quite need but hell that's really nice anyway.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Songbearer posted:

Thanks for the replies, it makes sense that it wouldn't be considered as a powerhouse for design applications yet. I'm excited to see the potential applications it'll have outside of gaming, that sort of stuff is always fascinating to me.

I got my third sensor today after using a two sensor setup for the better part of the year, and while it doesn't sound amazing on its own - a third sensor, whoop de doo - there's no denying that not having to worry about blindspots is an awesome feeling. It's actually surprising how the little bugbear of occasionally losing a hand can detract from the overall enjoyment of a game - Pavlov feels like a much better experience now I don't have to think about how I should be holding my gun when rotated a specific way. I also didn't realise the sensor came with a 16ft(!) extension cable, something my dinky playspace doesn't quite need but hell that's really nice anyway.

Sounds basically me. Almost perfect, but extremely odd corners and angles do blink out but that's a great review if adding the 3rd.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

You look dorky playing any arcade game let alone anything at home.

Speak for yourself, nerd.

Shaocaholica posted:

That sounds like it's not ready for the masses but I like the idea.

Play roms in a 80s/90s living room on a CRT.

Someone has already been working on this exact thing for years now (no idea when its going to be released):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU86_q6s65c

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tom Guycot posted:

Speak for yourself, nerd.

One of the few pictures that hits me hard with nostalgia, and was ultra-lame 15 years ago. Nerd.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just picked up a S8 and lastest(?) Gear VR. I guess the S8 resolution is as good as it gets today for a commercial HMD. Still kind of meh for watching movies. It's like less than 720p(maybe even closer to 480p) res on a virtual screen. It's better than a tiny laptop screen on a lap tray on a plane. Still playing around with it.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I had soooo much trouble with Subnautica in VR so that's surprising. Last I checked it was much better but still pretty uncomfortable.

It is amazingly immersive though. That game scares me nearly as much as RE7 when its night time and you're deep underwater and you just hear something.

I stopped feeling sick in Subnautica when I stopped looking in directions I wasn't traveling.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Just picked up a S8 and lastest(?) Gear VR. I guess the S8 resolution is as good as it gets today for a commercial HMD. Still kind of meh for watching movies. It's like less than 720p(maybe even closer to 480p) res on a virtual screen. It's better than a tiny laptop screen on a lap tray on a plane. Still playing around with it.

I think I said this before, but I would honestly pay like $4-500 for a headset that had a super hi-res screen just for watching movies. If it included a few built-in "rooms" like an I-max screen, a theater, a home theater etc etc and had an apparent resolution of 720-1080p, could hook it up to a bluray player so the processing wouldn't be on the headset, I think that would be awesome.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

How does it compare to the rift/vive?

Also re: future of VR, a great talk by the CTO of leap motion about what's going on 'behind closes doors'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_hm6aqr8D8

He gets a bit future-crazy towards the end but it's interesting to hear that gen 2 looks like it will have a split between 'perfect form factor (sunglasses) with lovely graphics' and 'much better graphics but still immensely cumbersome'.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Gay Bean posted:

I stopped feeling sick in Subnautica when I stopped looking in directions I wasn't traveling.

It was more interface problems and performance problems. You have to pick up and craft tons of stuff and doing so in VR is pretty uncomfortable. Its better now but still not great and it used to be way worse.

Course the game used to also break so you couldn't do anything if you opened the main menu in VR, so I couldn't even properly save. Now they fixed that lol.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

iceaim posted:

I actually went in the other direction with running New Vegas in a gimmicky way and play it on my GPD Win, a handheld gaming PC.

I really want to play New Vegas in VR but I'm not sure I'd do it without positionally tracked controllers, something which is sadly pretty unlikely to ever happen.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

3D is cool and all but with all my testing with VorpX and one other tech (forget the name) I could never get either of them to control accurately and give me the feeling of immersion that I get from proper VR games. It always felt like I was controlling a mouse with my head instead of actually being in the game world

You clearly never tried VorpX's new DirectVR feature with games that support it like New Vegas because it feels nothing like controlling a mouse with your head. With the DirectVR feature, head movements feel identical to native VR games with 1:1 rotational and positional tracking. You have to do the DirectVR scan once you enter the game world. Before the DirectVR scan, New Vegas looked awful and indeed felt like I was controlling a mouse with my head.

For games that don't support good head tracking, I find that a large 3D virtual screen that completely fills your vision and normal mouse look with your mouse is the next best thing and still quite immersive; about as good as playing a game in stereoscopic 3D on a 3Dtv.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I didn't have time during the week, but here's my mini review of Rez Infinite.

First of all, FEAR IS THE MIND KILLER.

Second, I hope the original Rez team have access to VR hardware and have gotten to see their masterpiece, because I guarantee the moment they see Infinite, even in the original stages they will weep tears of joy.

You could tell when the original team conceived of it all the way back on the god drat Dreamcast that a fully-immersive experience was their goal. I'm glad to say it's been fully realized in Rez Infinite. I've only just completed Areas 1-5 and have yet to touch Area X, but I hear that's an even more amazing spectacle. For me though, Areas 1-5 have a special place in my heart, having first played them on Dreamcast, then on PS2, through emulation on my PC, and even emulated through Oculus Bigscreen.

Although the Oculus Bigscreen hack was a decent one, make no mistake. Rez in full VR is an utter sight to behold. The level and graphic design is an almost perfect foil for the all the shortcomings of 1st gen VR like the screen door effect and fuzzy text. The best way to put it is, better than any other VR game I've played so far, Rez makes you forget you're wearing a headset the best. It's totally immersive and amazing. By far my favorite VR title to date.

Shortcomings would be: 1) the game is still short, and one would want to commit to bettering their score percentages to find any decent replay value; 2) the game is much, much easier with VR controls than it ever was using a controller. Wii owners who have played Resident Evil 4 on Wii and PS2 will know what I mean, as it's roughly the same difficulty delta between those two ports; 3) SteamVR on Oculus is still a buggy piece of poo poo. Yes yes, "you should have bought it on the Oculus Store", but whatever.

Buy this game people. Videos don't do it justice, and just like people in this thread are saying "monitor-users don't get VR because they haven't experienced it yet", you don't get Rez Infinite because you haven't experienced it yet.

I look forward to trying out Area X later today.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint to that: never played Rez before and picked it up because everyone was going nuts over it.

It's good, the music and visuals are crazy. It makes me a little motion sick and if you hate electronica you're probably not gonna like this game.

Also, pretty sure even if you buy it on Steam you're playing the oculus version - it shows up in oculus home (which all external apps that use the oculus sdk do after you run them once). Agreed, it's buggy - seems like every time I start the game it resets about 15 minutes in then is fine.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

bobfather posted:

I didn't have time during the week, but here's my mini review of Rez Infinite.

Second, I hope the original Rez team have access to VR hardware and have gotten to see their masterpiece, because I guarantee the moment they see Infinite, even in the original stages they will weep tears of joy.

You could tell when the original team conceived of it all the way back on the god drat Dreamcast that a fully-immersive experience was their goal. I'm glad to say it's been fully realized in Rez Infinite. I've only just completed Areas 1-5 and have yet to touch Area X, but I hear that's an even more amazing spectacle. For me though, Areas 1-5 have a special place in my heart, having first played them on Dreamcast, then on PS2, through emulation on my PC, and even emulated through Oculus Bigscreen.

Although the Oculus Bigscreen hack was a decent one, make no mistake. Rez in full VR is an utter sight to behold. The level and graphic design is an almost perfect foil for the all the shortcomings of 1st gen VR like the screen door effect and fuzzy text. The best way to put it is, better than any other VR game I've played so far, Rez makes you forget you're wearing a headset the best. It's totally immersive and amazing. By far my favorite VR title to date.

Shortcomings would be: 1) the game is still short, and one would want to commit to bettering their score percentages to find any decent replay value; 2) the game is much, much easier with VR controls than it ever was using a controller. Wii owners who have played Resident Evil 4 on Wii and PS2 will know what I mean, as it's roughly the same difficulty delta between those two ports; 3) SteamVR on Oculus is still a buggy piece of poo poo. Yes yes, "you should have bought it on the Oculus Store", but whatever.

Buy this game people. Videos don't do it justice, and just like people in this thread are saying "monitor-users don't get VR because they haven't experienced it yet", you don't get Rez Infinite because you haven't experienced it yet.

I look forward to trying out Area X later today.

Never played rez before and now I've don't 1-3 and x and it's such an intense and great experience!! Did you notice that by default the game is easier in vr? In the vr settings it has an advanced mode that makes it harder.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FormatAmerica posted:

Counterpoint to that: never played Rez before and picked it up because everyone was going nuts over it.

It's good, the music and visuals are crazy. It makes me a little motion sick and if you hate electronica you're probably not gonna like this game.

Also, pretty sure even if you buy it on Steam you're playing the oculus version - it shows up in oculus home (which all external apps that use the oculus sdk do after you run them once). Agreed, it's buggy - seems like every time I start the game it resets about 15 minutes in then is fine.

Nah home just sees oculus apps now outside home and adds them for you.

Regardless if it's oculus specific or not mind you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think if home sees a program calling the Oculus api, it adds it to your library.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bobfather posted:

SteamVR on Oculus is still a buggy piece of poo poo. Yes yes, "you should have bought it on the Oculus Store", but whatever.

You can choose to launch it without steam vr when you launch it in steam. There's no requirement to use steam vr if you have a rift for this particular game.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I saw in one of the Oculus reviews of Rez a complaint about medium to far-distant objects looking flat. I definitely noticed something like that in Thumper - the bosses in particular just look like a billboard floating in space, which cuts down the impact significantly. So if Rez, as another non-dedicated VR game, is going to be much the same, I may just pass, sadly.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
^ ^ ^ ^ You're garbage ^ ^ ^ ^

rage-saq posted:

SteamVR mostly piggybacks off Oculus Home for Rifts, and you have to duplicate getting it setup in steamVR and then its just kind of annoying. The optimal way to get it all setup is to use a few tools, which I've listed below.

saqs handy list of max VR sperging/tuning, listed in the order you will probably want to use them

1: Deskscene
Have your Oculus Guardian walls displayed in VR and see your sensors field of view and where they intersect, helps with optimizing sensor placement/orientation. Your sensors have a maximum range of about 8ft so you will want to make sure you have multiple angles of coverage if you go further than that.
https://www.wearvr.com/apps/desk-scene-check-your-camera-bounds

2: Guardian Boundry Editor
Now that your sensor positions are optimized, make your boundry walls straight and clean! Back them up / restore them after tuning them incrementally and precisely instead of running the fully integrated setup that only lets you start all the way over. Very useful!
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6iezwq/guardian_boundary_editor_customizestraighten_your/

3: ChaperoneTweak
Once your Guardian Boundries are optimized you will want to get the Chaperone boundries setup in a similar fashion. I am not a fan of the SteamVR setup with a rift. This gives you yet another virtual room to see your Chaperone walls and defined floor space. Use the controllers to move around the chaperone walls so they overlap your guardian boundries and maximize your floor space.
https://github.com/Xavr0k/ChaperoneTweak

4: Advanced OpenVR Settings plugin
A handy set of general VR tools in a steamVR plugin, lots of options. My most frequently used feature is supersampling adjustment, which you can now do without an application restart. I also like to enable the center floor marker and disable my chaperone walls since the guardian walls are already on anyways. Sometimes the steamVR floor gets goofed up and this lets you do a floor fix very easily.
https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases

5: Oculus Tray Tool
A number of oculus specific tweaks along with monitors and a profile that lets you change supersampling/ASW per application. Lots of SteamVR games don't have a native Oculus runtime and so they do not support a native Oculus feature called Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) and some games do not deal well with being forced to run at 45fps, so the thing to do is disable ASW. The Oculus Tray Tool can automate this for you so you don't have to think about it after you set it up. Note that per-profile supersampling controls for SteamVR games will not work because the game isn't detected until after SteamVR is running, and once an application is running you cannot change the supersampling level with the Oculus software. Just use Advanced OpenVR settings to control your supersampling for SteamVR games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/

Quoting this so I can search for my own posts in the future

mellowjournalism posted:

fwiw my glasses were too big for the Rift so I just got these (http://www.zennioptical.com/450021-metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinge.html) for $10

Also just wanted to say I copied you and bought these terrible harry potter glasses and am super happy, I payed the $5 for antiglare for some reason and with shipping it's still only a $20 pair of glasses that work great. My other two pairs of glasses are $400 each so I'm happy to not have to smash them into my headset.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
What do you guys do about the heat the headset puts out / how hot & sweaty your face gets using the rift? Thing needs ventilation, desperately

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Reduce your face fat.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ammanas posted:

What do you guys do about the heat the headset puts out / how hot & sweaty your face gets using the rift? Thing needs ventilation, desperately

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

The more expensive ones aren't worth it because the red and blue covers don't stick to the Velcro correctly

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

vivenchill comes out soon and is apparently very effective surprisingly. I've got one ordered I'll post a review

also, I didn't think there was any way Area X in Rez could live up to the hype. I was so wrong. as a big fan of the original game and a vr cheerleader, wow. amazing. wow. amazing.. wow.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Area X is amazing, but the slight extra camera movement it adds to the manual steering made me pretty motionsick by the end.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

bobfather posted:

KILLER.

KILLER.

I've never played Rez until this version, but when California Soul started kicking in during the last segment I was in awe. I love that song and it's used so well.

E: Went back and completed Area 5 properly, can't wait to get an afternoon free to play the mode that has all the areas in one go. Played a little of Area X and holy poo poo I hope some designers won medals for that because the artwork is phenomenal, and I'm only a few minutes in.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 13, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I wish there was a tag on Steam / Oculus Home for what kind of locomotion a game has so its easy to skip the stuff that has teleportation or armswinger or whatever garbage inferior mechanism they have.
It seems the devs who are putting work into a good free locomotion are might make that need irrelevant.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The matchmaking in EA is some loving good poo poo. The vast majority of my games have been insanely good.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

I wish there was a tag on Steam / Oculus Home for what kind of locomotion a game has so its easy to skip the stuff that has teleportation or armswinger or whatever garbage inferior mechanism they have.
It seems the devs who are putting work into a good free locomotion are might make that need irrelevant.

Free locomotion (if you mean stick/trackpad) is still not considered main stream. The main method of movement for single player games is going to be teleport for a while. When people complain devs tend to add free locomotion.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Beat 1-5 and X on Rez Infinite this afternoon. It was good, but easy. I had high expectations from hearing Giantbomb gush over it so much, and I thought it was very interesting but not a masterpiece or anything.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

Free locomotion (if you mean stick/trackpad) is still not considered main stream. The main method of movement for single player games is going to be teleport for a while. When people complain devs tend to add free locomotion.

Teleportation is a hack for hack games that are bad and it's dying off from larger game dev releases. Developers have figured this out which is why you see a lot of games coming out now that use it along with upcoming bigger VR games like Fallout4 VR, DOOM VFR and From Other Suns.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah that's not actually happening. Teleport is cool and good.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

rage-saq posted:

Teleportation is a hack for hack games that are bad and it's dying off from larger game dev releases. Developers have figured this out which is why you see a lot of games coming out now that use it along with upcoming bigger VR games like Fallout4 VR, DOOM VFR and From Other Suns.

I literally can't parse this. Teleportation is a bad hack that is dying off from large games, which is why you see a lot of games using it including large titles such as Fallout and DOOM? What?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Like the games that you like, don't get weirdly personally slighted by mechanics that you don't

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Teleportation really sucks and pulls me right out of whatever game that uses it, unless it's done well or fits for some reason. Budget Cuts inexplicably managed to have a great implementation where it's a projectile that isn't spammable and requires you to move your head, but most games do it the laziest way possible with instant movement and direct pointing.

It sucks bad. It's just the most comfortable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I don't care what a game uses to do anything if the game is good.

Basically I only like good games :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Rastor posted:

I literally can't parse this. Teleportation is a bad hack that is dying off from large games, which is why you see a lot of games using it including large titles such as Fallout and DOOM? What?

It's smart for big time single player games to have a teleportation option (Fallout 4, DOOM) because of the amount of new players that will flock to it and need a baby's-first-VR experience that is comfortable, but will ALSO have real locomotion that will be how most everyone eventually plays anyways.
Multiplayer games can't support both modes, but more on that later.
It's rather telling that the big first-gen VR FPS titles that are still played with regularity (raw data, as sunshine) eventually got real Onward style locomotion.
The only notable VR FPS title to not get real locomotion added in later is Rec Room, and that's because their entire premise is based on it and it would render the existing games largely broken to try to support both styles.
I know I'm being overly acerbic on the topic of teleportation locomotion (it's garbage) but I don't really see it as anything but an easy-to-implement-crutch that bad devs use to get something out the door quickly. It's bad for FPS games and 25 years of FPS titles bear this out. It's like making a console controller FPS game in an age where everyone on your platform already has a mouse+kb, it's largely missing what is good about the platform in the first place.