Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hickman Image sale on Comixology right now. Which is his better work? Manhattan Projects or East of West?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

East of West, though Manhattan Projects is fun, too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just picked up a new series called Lark's Killer yesterday, it was pretty cool for an intro issue setting the story as a city girl teleported to a Dungeons n dragons-type world, with a cool dragon as the narrator.

Finished the year's run of Tank Girl too, the first 3 issues of her fighting nazis in ww2 were great, this last issue was mostly a conclusion so only worth getting if you got the others.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mr Hootington posted:

Hickman Image sale on Comixology right now. Which is his better work? Manhattan Projects or East of West?

manhattan projects imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

East of West, though Manhattan Projects is fun, too.

East of West is great but I'm waiting for him to be done before I get any more. It's very slow.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What about The Black Monday Murders? That sounds interesting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

It is, but it's still a work in progress so you'll get a few issues then be dying at the wait for next month!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BMM's great, but it could be frustrating. It dumps a lot on you and I honestly don't think it expects you to keep up. Getting over your head in satanistic finance details is the charm!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

East of West is the classic kind of Hickman storytelling you find in other things he's written. Manhattan Projects is him doing something completely different on purpose. East of West has the long term storytelling you find in his FF and Avengers runs where Manhattan Projects is intentionally written with no plan at all and is just about indulging crazy ideas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unbelievably good world building though.

Who does the art on Manhattan Projects? I got Pax Romana and I reaaly don't like Hickman's art style it turns out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Unbelievably good world building though.

Who does the art on Manhattan Projects? I got Pax Romana and I reaaly don't like Hickman's art style it turns out.

Nick Pitarra does pretty much all of the art on MP I believe. I know for sure on the main series, not sure if he did that last mini too but I think he did.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hickman hasn't drawn a comic in a long time, but I seem to remember he is with his next series.

Just read Redlands and it's great. Jordie Bellaire's first writing job, I think?
Going by the character sketches in the back, it's kinda funny that Image is publishing two comics about lady witch cops.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well there's the basic eternal story molds. Tragedy, comedy, and lady witch cops.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

i'd probably pick black monday murders as my favourite of the three you mentioned, on an enjoyment-per-issue basis. the basic premise gave me a chuckle (and i'm not particularly anti-capitalist or anti-financier), there's some good character drama, it works well as a horror, and the art, colours and layout combine are incredibly striking. there's one scene in particular in a police interrogation cell which has stuck with me. they're all worthwhile reads, though east of west has been irritating the poo poo out of me for quite some time now because of how meandering things are and how needlessly opaque aspects of the setting feel. i'm sure it'll all come together eventually, and the art's good, though, so i persevere. manhattan projects does not finish, and probably never will, and it's not serious, but it's fun and goofy (in a kind of gross, mars attacks! kind of way).

of his other indie projects transhuman and nightly news are probably the best-reputed. i liked red mass for mars a lot, too, even though many did not (probably because the last issue was delayed into absurdity which really broke up the flow), albeit its themes could be accused of being sophomoric philosophy (superheroes undermine the utopian promise of equality and fraternity!). the only one i've read i did not really care for was red wing, which was very unsatisfying (though maybe i was missing something in the story).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've decided to go with the East of West trades that are currently available and added the rest to my humongous wish list. I will wait for another trade or two for Black Monday Murders since it seems right up my alley.

Has anyone read the various zombie comic series '68? It looks intertesting, but if the story is junk i will avoid.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Manhattan Projects is thoroughly enjoyable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

X-O posted:

Nick Pitarra does pretty much all of the art on MP I believe. I know for sure on the main series, not sure if he did that last mini too but I think he did.
Could have sworn that someone else did at least parts of the issues set in Oppenheimer's psyche. The faces don't look like Pitarra's work. But there's no other name on the cover and there's no other credit on Image's website. (edit: got smart and Googled reviews rather than going off grainy pictures and the Image website, and yeah, those issues were done by Ryan Browne - is that the God Hates Astronauts guy? Interesting. I thought that was a pretty good read.)

But Pitarra did do The Sun Beyond The Stars as well as everything else. Speaking of, is Hickman still planning on doing more with the universe? I thought the original plan was a series of minis breaking off and following other plotlines and ending with then they all fell into a sun and died is not really a good way to go.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Hickman more or less said he'd do them when he felt like he had a good story, so it might be over, but there's nothing scheduled, either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Speaking of, is Hickman still planning on doing more with the universe?

I'm sure as long as he's alive, he wouldn't definitively say he's quit something. The final issues of SHIELD will come out one day!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm sure as long as he's alive, he wouldn't definitively say he's quit something. The final issues of SHIELD will come out one day!
I own the sweet HC of the first six. Thanks for reminding me :(

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

According to his twitter, everytime someone asks him where those issues are, they get delayed by another month. Right now we're looking for a release date of sometime in December 2031.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Marshal Radisic posted:

According to his twitter, everytime someone asks him where those issues are, they get delayed by another month. Right now we're looking for a release date of sometime in December 2031.

Aren't they literally done? Like all Marvel has to do is actually print the issues?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How to promote indie comics.
https://twitter.com/automeru/status/897582702236401664

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A hustler's never looking to not hustle.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
When does more Motor Crush come out?
That was a hell of a cliffhanger

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

havok9 posted:

I think it's a 4 issue mini "for now". If it sells well it'll keep going

Old post, but speaking of which...

https://twitter.com/gregpak/status/899059318821015552

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

We did it BSS!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yay!! :neckbeard:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Got the latest Motor Girl, man this is a pretty good series. I reread the last few issues afterward too, it seems really like it's really heartfelt from the author.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've been "off" Image since my last rant in this thread, or maybe another one, about their inconsistent publishing schedule. I've decided I'll catch them up quarterly or so since a lot of issues obviously don't come out monthly. Here are my sizzling hot takes since around early May or so!

Crosswind: This shouldn't work at all. It's freaky friday with a suburban mom and a mafia hit man, and now I've told you that you've probably already identified all the major story beats that are going to occur. But somehow it works. It's not great comics, but it's surprisingly effective comics.

Plastic: This actually worked for me, and I'm not even sure why. The addition of the female character to work with Edwyn is both banal and effective; I think what makes his character work is that he's just as horrified at his actions (as viewed through a proxy) as he should be, instead of glorying in them.

Kill or be Killed: Both facile and compelling, the "just like you" narrator turned me off as a lazy gimmick at first. But the action he describes, and how, kind of makes up for that. I still don't care about the character, or his demon, but I am curious as to what convoluted situation ends up either getting his just desserts, or his undeserved redemption.

Deadly Class: I'd lost interest in this mostly after the first class "graduated" and the status quo seemed pretty set for the future. But then they sling-shotted a burrito into a stranger's living room and I'm drawn back in.

Drifter (now ended): That sure was a happy ending! Drifter was a ballsy, classic sci-fi premise told using an artful comic book perspective, and they weren't afraid to bull it out to the end. I admire the ambition it took to tell this story the way they did.

Green Valley (now ended?): That sure was a happy ending! Not being sarcastic this time! Landis had some narrative tricks going on, but if feels like the whole series was leading up to the "And now... YOU ARE ANCHORED!" line. In a good way. I still hate him.

Rock Candy Mountain: Visually this comic was a hard sell, but the words I always love to read. By about the 2nd or 3rd issue I didn't care any more and just wanted more of that word candy. Great hobo (not tramp) adventures with the devil and the supernatural and just normal old corruption.

Shirtless Bear-Fighter!: As brazen as this concept is on its face, they went that much further with the actual implementation. It's like a Mel Brooks movie, it's so busy firing jokes and extensions of the completely untenable original premise that you don't even care that the premise is untenable. And not in a twee, monkey-poop-lol internet kind of way, they are seriously digging in and doing the spade work on the character that reminds me of the frenetic energy of the original Chew! comic.

Buuuuuut, I didn't like everything. I'm sorry guys, I know some of these are your favourite comics, and I'm not even going to do much to explain myself, but just keep firing hot takes that satisfy my inner Comic Book Guy, but probably are completely wrong to you.

NEW Youngblood: This is a colouring book, as written by a child who has been frozen in a cryonic chamber since 1992. And that child had brain damage.

Sacred Creatures: A Neil Gaiman story with the numbers filed off mixed with whatever juice that makes normally sane people think the Wicked+Divine is actually good (owwww ooff W+D is good), this plodding drek of a "sane man thrust into a magical universe" will hopefully not be the the last thing that KLAUS JANSON does.

The Divided States of Hysteria: Speaking of once-respected creators hopefully not dying on a terrible project, I'm convinced this comic is the syphilitic death coma of Howard Chaykin where he has an extended day dream that he makes a comic so edgy, so "with it" with the modern memes and the twitters and so on, that all the young millennials bow down to him and tell him that he wasn't all that racist and misogynist after all, he was just "telling it like it is".

Eternal Empire: There might an interesting story here, but it's hidden by the "other Luna brother" and his deviant-art 1 hour sketch video quality illustration, and some incredibly crappy dialogue. I had hopes for the world building initially, but they were washed away by the following meet-cute-and-on-fire issues.

Mage: The Hero Rejaculated: I've always been convinced that all of Wagner's output other than Sandman was self-indulgent self-insert wankery (Mage, Grendel), and check this out, the new one is just as flaccid and as directionless as the previous Mage entries. An older, more experienced Matt Kevin watches a disrespectful new hero handle things his own way, managing to somehow combine "get off my lawn" and "kids and their gadgets these days" (while highlighting the very modern gadget, the personal cassette tape player) into one sizzling 17 page missive that of course has god-hero Matt Kevin beating up the bad guys with a street post he ripped from the ground. Because he is super tough and strong.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I also got a couple issues of Big Rock Candy Mtn (love the song) and agree it's a fun story and characters, art's good enough too (but I love non-traditional art and layouts the most. The new Grrl Scouts run is good for that)

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Is anyone reading Paklis? Because it's been out for almost four months now and I rather like it (I like nearly all sci-fi and all anthologies, so it's a given), but I've seen exactly zero mention or discussion, either here or elsewhere.

Is it just not that popular? Or has Dustin Weaver said something terrible in the past that makes people not want to support/talk about him that I don't know about because I'm new to comics? :ohdear: I keep hearing about that kind of thing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
what a loving nothing issue of the dying and the dead, after such a long hiatus.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Parasol Prophet posted:

Is anyone reading Paklis? Because it's been out for almost four months now and I rather like it (I like nearly all sci-fi and all anthologies, so it's a given), but I've seen exactly zero mention or discussion, either here or elsewhere.

Is it just not that popular? Or has Dustin Weaver said something terrible in the past that makes people not want to support/talk about him that I don't know about because I'm new to comics? :ohdear: I keep hearing about that kind of thing.

That's just indie comics. Even popular books only sell a fraction of what big 2 books sell.

I haven't picked that one up. Is it an anthology book? I love that poo poo.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh, cool. I figured that was probably it (in addition to being kind of a weird genre/setup), but there was a small part of me that was worrying "What if I'm unwittingly supporting an Industry Dickbag??" because I'm just anxious like that.

It is an anthology! There are I think two ongoing stories right now (Amnia Cycle and Sagittarius A*), with the rest of each issue so far being a one-off-- except for 3, which is just the ongoings (so it's cheaper).

And it's good, by my standards at least. There's not much in the way of a straightforward plot in anything, and it took a few reads of the one-offs before they started making sense, but that kind of stuff is actually right up my alley. I spent some time just rereading the story in issue 2, going from confused to fascinated. Even Amnia Cycle has kind of an open, stream-of-consciousness feel with the sketchy art and the fact that it was apparently written a page at a time, at least starting off.

It's just surreal and weird and hard to describe. I know that kind of thing is definitely not everyone's jam, but it's a fun time and I look forward to it every month.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
I've been enjoying it, but the most recent one sold out at my local store.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Really enjoyed that first issue of Hi-Fi Fight Club. Now I'm really hoping for it to get upgraded to an ongoing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Does Invincible from Image comics exist its own universe or does it share it with other Image heroes? Curious as it is apparently ending at issuse 144 and a completely self-contained western superhero comic that ran 14 years with a true ending is intriguing to me.

Edit: I know there are spinoffs like The Astonshing Wolfman, but I mean more if it crosses with Savage Dragon or Witchblade. Personally, prefer if it didn't and I'm curious if it does.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 28, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Savage Dragon definitely shows up in Invincible for the original Guardians funeral. I think he cameos during some world-at-war events where they cut to splash pages from around the globe and he's part of one team in one place doing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Other Image heroes like Savage Dragon, Spawn, Youngblood. Witchblade, and others have definitely appeared in Invincible at times. Never in big ways though. That being said I stopped reading the series around the halfway mark so that might have changed after.