Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Speaking of, let's see how the Doomsday Clock is doing these days.

The doomsday clock got extremely dumb after the Cold War ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I've wondered, doomsday happens, what do they do? Have someone quickly change it before the bombs hit? Is it now hooked to a monitor system to automatically update? Or do they just say gently caress it and pound tequila?

Lawrence Krauss is kept in a nuclear fallout shelter at all times, and will solemnly turn the clock to midnight if humanity destroys itself.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 12, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mustached Demon posted:

Air drop hella weed on NK duh.

Actually marijuana is legal in North Korea and is regularly smoked by the population from what I understand

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What, why? There are still stockpiles of ready-to-fire nuclear weapons across the planet.

Bogatyr posted:

Maybe it's his "art of the deal" in action... I am interested to see how not being a credible spokesman is an advantageous position...
https://twitter.com/barbarastarrcnn/status/896152426977280000

As an American citizen, I really appreciate the shell game being played against us concerning the use of our military. It's exciting.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/896184823735361538

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jesus loving hell venezuela guam and nk. nice nice i always wanted to die

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Can someone please translate that bit after 'I wish...' it's breaking my brain

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Welcome friend to your natural state

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think there was a bit of Iran, too.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Spoiler alert on the Monday press conference

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/896183677864091648

I can think of no reason this is not a great idea at this exact moment.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

n3wt posted:

GAH I only read the highlight. :pwn: ow

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I believe that there are some parts of Africa and South America that would not be targeted in a world wide nuclear holocaust so the human race may survive , maybe.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

farraday posted:

I think I am changing my opinion on whether Evil Competent or Evil Incompetent does more damage towards "incompetent" again.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

farraday posted:

Let's alienate the country that holds most of the national debt right before congress takes on the subject of national debt.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I found The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in a used bookstore recently, and reading it has given me some perspective on Trump.

No question that Trump is dangerous - but he's dangerous because he's reckless and stupid. If he had half the cleverness or rhetorical gifts of Hitler, we'd really be screwed. It took a World War and millions of deaths for Hitler to be deposed. Most likely, Trump's going to go down because of shady business dealings and disreputable ties to Russia. I just hope it happens before we all die in a rain of nuclear hellfire.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And then it got less dumb.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

n3wt posted:

Let's alienate the country that holds most of the national debt right before congress takes on the subject of national debt.

The United States holds by far the majority of the national debt.

Of course he's alienated them too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's not that it was any less needed as much as their time adjustments started to feel sort of all over the place.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/896186292836368384
https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/896186637654384640
:stare:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

n3wt posted:

"I wish they had me for the last eight years instead of Obama. I would have been better than the last three presidents actually, but that time has passed. I'm here now though, so you'll be taken care of."

Except his dementia-addled brain produces his usual word haze instead.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Uh India-Pakistan anyone?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

It's not that it was any less needed as much as their time adjustments started to feel sort of all over the place.

I like to think of it as a handy barometer for gauging the irrationality of those controlling the weapons! A stupid scale.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Speaking of, let's see how the Doomsday Clock is doing these days.

That was back in January. Can't imagine Trump's actions since then have improved things.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/kzzawz/we-asked-a-doomsday-clock-scientist-about-trumps-fire-and-fury-threat

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't really mean the concept of having a clock got dumb, I mean post 1991 they lost focus and have changed what the clock is supposed to measure several times and during the cold war you can look at the rises and falls and clearly match them to specific real world rise and fall in tension but in the modern day like, the odds of the world ending during obama was apparently higher than during the cuban missile crisis and electing trump only moved it by 30 seconds and they talk about stuff like it measuring killer robots and stuff now.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Serfer posted:

The United States holds by far the majority of the national debt.

Of course he's alienated them too.

Good to know. Just went and read Wikipedia. So China can't utterly screw the economy by dumping that, but could always find other ways wrt import/export.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Wasn't the "trade crackdown" supposed to be announced last Friday or w/e?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This too-
List of nations with nuclear weapons.

I'm not trying to be an alarmitst, but the US & NK are not the only players in this game by fart. <-----leaving that typo. :v:

True.
VVVVVVVV

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 12, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't really mean the concept of having a clock got dumb, I mean post 1991 they lost focus and have changed what the clock is supposed to measure several times and during the cold war you can look at the rises and falls and clearly match them to specific real world rise and fall in tension but in the modern day like, the odds of the world ending during obama was apparently higher than during the cuban missile crisis and electing trump only moved it by 30 seconds and they talk about stuff like it measuring killer robots and stuff now.

Yeah, it's this. Someone can create another clock to measure Doomsday by Climate Change or Killer Robots or Apathy Because of Gizmos if they want, but the Doomsday Clock was a reliable source of measuring danger of nuclear annihilation until they got bored and weighted with a bunch of stuff that makes it seem a bit random.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

n3wt posted:

Good to know. Just went and read Wikipedia. So China can't utterly screw the economy by dumping that, but could always find other ways wrt import/export.

Its OK you guys still have NAFTA with Canada and Mexico!

Oh right the negotiations for that start on Monday too.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

What in the gently caress is wrong with his brain? Yeah people are going to rush to visit nuke target Island.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The Doomsday Clock measures how close humanity is to imminently self-destructing. It just used to be that the only means we had for that was nuclear weapons, but now climate change has helpfully given us more ways to suicide.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

boner confessor posted:

sort of but not really

two of america's ten biggest metro areas are in texas. no MSA based in vermont or new hampshire cracks the top 100

Boston MSA has Rockingham County and Strafford County, NH

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

No such thing as bad publicity!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I found The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in a used bookstore recently

loving spoilers are getting out of hand.

Arglebargle III posted:

The rhetorical trick of "I support diversity in the abstract I just want all policies that increase diversity ended immediately," won't work nearly as well in a movement with concrete demands as it does in a white paper.
:roflolmao: Concrete Demands :roflolmao: Are you familiar with these geniuses?

Even in the mocking manboobz translation there's not a single concrete ask. Cerno's no better-he's been living off what his family lawyer demanded for years.

e:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Boston MSA has Rockingham County and Strafford County, NH

To clarify: my original post was regarding the relative economic & political strength of those regions, not whether big cities exist.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is anyone really freaking out about this North Korea thing? We've had tens of thousands of nukes pointed at us for decades.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Is anyone really freaking out about this North Korea thing? We've had tens of thousands of nukes pointed at us for decades.

It's really more a 'Trump and North Korea' thing people are worried about, though there's no real way to know for sure where the protist taking over Donny's brain will ultimately take him.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

And tourism has never been better!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Office Pig posted:

It's really more a 'Trump and North Korea' thing people are worried about, though there's no real way to know for sure where the protist taking over Donny's brain will ultimately take him.

Do you mean prion?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you mean prion?

I do actually, thanks.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, the situation's not THAT bad (fear of nuclear holocaust,) but that doesn't mean it's good. It's just one more needle on the trumpstack. Not everybody keeps up with facts like we newsnerds. As if the majority of people who mostly get news from a single source needed another thing to worry about right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Kale posted:

It's where he gets to announce his insanely bad policy decisions when twitter isn't even enough of a spectacle. Being on TV or a rally with all eyes on him is the only thing he loves more than his daily twitter shits.

AKA when he needs way way way more than multiples of 140 characters.

• Locked thread