Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Game isn't deaf friendly, unistawin

Sure, but that's not a problem unique to Doomfist. There are a lot of important callouts without visual stimuli- genji blade, tracer blinks, gravitron, sombra reappearance, etc.

Hell, it's not even unique to competitive games in general. Basically any team based game isn't deaf friendly, simply by virtue of the fact that communication is so vital to these types of games.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
doomfist is making 3v3 mode a lot more fun

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the fact that three people had to switch to counter you before you gave up should tell us something

That im willing to play around an Orisa but an Orisa backed up by two very unfriendly DPS is more effort than its worth? We had to switch to Winston, tracer and genji to reliably kill the Cree, is he OP?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Redundant posted:

I'm glad that's settled then.

Now you're just trying to hurt my feelings.

I tend to not bother with "mains" so "ruthlessly exploiting" isn't exactly my style but I see your point. I just mean that game sense and aim will still win the day 9 out of 10 times so the player will be the limiting factor, not the hero. I've played a wide range of heroes from pretty bad ones to very good ones and (once I get used to them) I settle out really close to the same SR because I eventually hit Elo Hello a point where mechanically I get out performed. When I play "stronger" heroes I just reach that rank slightly faster.

Aim and gamesense will obviously always be a huge factor in someone's overall skill but all things being equal if a given character is vastly more powerful than a comparable character (say, Doomfist and Tracer for example) then I would expect foregoing the older one for the newer, OP model to have a noticeable impact on one's play and consequently one's rank. Like, if Doomfist lets you secure 5-10 more kills per match on average than Tracer with your overall play remaining the same, I can't see how that wouldnt influence your ability to climb. Or if he's more survivable, or both, whatever.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the fact that three people had to switch to counter you before you gave up should tell us something

It's actually a pretty good thing that Overwatch isn't so rock-paper-scissory that it's full of single-swap hard counters. It isn't a single Soldier or McCree's job to render Pharah completely shut down 100% of the time either, or a single Reaper's job to kill all Winstons forever.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Doomfist is healthy and good for the game:

https://gfycat.com/PositivePastGiantschnauzer

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

latency and hit box bugs that rarely apply are not the same as a hero being mechanically broken.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 12, 2017

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
gamesense: I sense a head, I click it

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

That im willing to play around an Orisa but an Orisa backed up by two very unfriendly DPS is more effort than its worth? We had to switch to Winston, tracer and genji to reliably kill the Cree, is he OP?

I forgot you were a bit further up there in terms of SR for a moment and was about to ask what the heck kind of games you were finding down here in casual land with McCrees able to dominate to that extent.

He's practically useless down here at 2k, and while I feel like I could comfortably play in plat I've already ground out just over a hundred matches for around 500 SR to hit gold for the first time and I really don't have another hundred in this season.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Doomfist is healthy and good for the game:

https://gfycat.com/PositivePastGiantschnauzer

I was expecting the hanzo to die

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"overpowered" and "bad for the game" are not necessarily the same thing

An excellent point. For example, Doomfist may be overpowered, but his design in general is exactly what the game needs.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
doomfist is good for the game because it makes maining sombra even cooler for me

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Doomfist to get dumpstered so everybody playing Genji can go back to never feeling threatened. Can't have the golden boy of overwatch feel bad ever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
don't really see how doomfist specifically counters genji, who has the mobility to disengage from doomfist and avoid being in places where he can easily be punched better than other characters

also genji's not oppressive now or before doomfist came out

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
doomfist is good at oneshotting tracer before she can rewind and revert the dmg, hes good at oneshotting genji when he tries to rely on his deflect to escape

genji is still pretty oppressive on console at the diamond level and a good doomfist crushes him

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Genji's mobility lets him avoid Doomfist, but if Doomfist is hanging out around his team that makes it vastly harder for Genji to do his job, so Doomfist is a counter in that sense.

Just like Winston and Reaper--Winston's defense and mobility makes it easy to avoid being killed, but that doesn't help Winston get his job done.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Those last two posts sum up exactly why Doomfist is a good counter to Genji. I know full well Winston is a good deterrent for Genji but more often than not the enemy Genji won't swap. Instead someone else will swap to Reaper and make it their life mission to kill Winston. In my experience this works every time which then allows Genji to go back to doing whatever Jr e wants whenever he wants and it's frustrating.

Doomfist having the capability to force Genji to swap or be an easy kill is like 50% of why I play Doomfist.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

don't really see how doomfist specifically counters genji, who has the mobility to disengage from doomfist and avoid being in places where he can easily be punched better than other characters

also genji's not oppressive now or before doomfist came out

Doomfist's punch isn't affected by Genji's deflect and if Genji tries it he's cruisin' for a bruisin'.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that doesn't matter vs. a genji who has ever played against a doomfist

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Doomfist seems to have the same dynamic with Tracer and Genji that Roadhog did back when he was an actual character and not a tangible declaration of your intent to sandbag, which is to say that he isn't a hard counter per se but that he creates a zone of space in which fragile flankers have to proceed more cautiously than usual because if they don't they can wind up getting obliterated.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Tracers shouldn't die to doomfist unless they have no idea he's there

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Tracers shouldn't die to doomfist unless they have no idea he's there

I mean I'm a certified bad but I've still gotten used to keeping track of where a Tracer is going to pop back out once they use recall. You could say the same about how Tracer/Hog used to work as well, that there's no way a Tracer should be getting killed by the big lumbering fatman and his hook but it happened quite a bit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

doomfist trashes genji and I love it. being able to punch that idiot through the deflect feels so good

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

In my not-actually-good-at-Overwatch experience, the trick to dealing with a charging Doomfist as Genji is to learn to reflexively dash straight upward instead of deflecting when you see the fist charging in front of you. If dash is on cooldown, you're kind of just dead by default.

This probably doesn't work for some reason or another against Doomfists that know what they are doing, but it's done well enough for me thus far. Wasting a dash is still pretty bad, but that's what you get for letting doomfist get near you in the first place.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Just played with a guy who's only mic actions were:
"No mercy well we lose."
"Oh we got a Junkrat great."
"Watch the Torb and Sym get in chat and talk poo poo after this."
"They're behind us you guys know that right?"
"What the gently caress I said they were behind us you guys are trash."
*Dude says his call outs are bad (what call outs?!?)* "Man gently caress you my call outs are good."

Also want to point out Reaper is incredibly strong against Doomfist.

Edit: I'm playing in diamond right now (and losing because it's weird to solo que vs. play with friends who understand how each other plays) and the meta is sorta dive but not really. The common team comp I'm seeing is:

Mercy, Zarya, Reaper, Winston/Dva, Zen/Lucio, and Pharah to round out the group. It's really loving painful to play Doomfist in this which basically forces a swap.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 12, 2017

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Thanks Blizz for my "13 sound barriers provided" card after a game with 5 gold medals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bumper Stickup posted:

Just played with a guy who's only mic actions were:

Mercy, Zarya, Reaper, Winston/Dva, Zen/Lucio, and Pharah to round out the group. It's really loving painful to play Doomfist in this which basically forces a swap.

Even better are the people who start the game on mic and then as soon as things don't go as planned they begin relentlessly trash talking but in chat because they're too much of a pussy to say it on mic.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bolivar posted:

Thanks Blizz for my "13 sound barriers provided" card after a game with 5 gold medals.

so what they're literally meaningless

Ginette Reno posted:

Even better are the people who start the game on mic and then as soon as things don't go as planned they begin relentlessly trash talking but in chat because they're too much of a pussy to say it on mic.

hey man I can't swear around my mom

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

My team got ran so hard 2 members tilted. There needs to be something so if you pick up [some number higher than 5] unique reports in a game then it should auto kick you in Comp and treat you like you left.

Edit: This was meant for the whining thread but is this a bad idea?

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 13, 2017

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

That's a really bad idea for a bunch of reasons. It's incredibly ripe for abuse. Coordinate reports to kick the enemy team with a 6 stack. It still won't fix toxicity either, because you're still probably going to take a loss for going down to a 5v6, or the enemy team won't see the toxicity and won't report.

If someone is tilting hard over mic or chat, just mute them and carry on.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 13, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also it means you might be discouraged from reporting someone for eg racism because it could kick that player and make you lose the match.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Why slurs aren't auto-kicks is beyond me

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Because forcing a loss onto 5 people for one person's lovely behaviour is also not good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
When was the last time Blizzard even rolled out a banwave for actual hackers? Those used to be a semi-regular occurrence and you'd see posts about it all over Reddit and all the video game news sites but I can't remember the last time that happened.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

berenzen posted:

Because forcing a loss onto 5 people for one person's lovely behaviour is also not good.

because people become more creative than the shorthand so you can't nail them otherwise.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I think they just need to tighten up Doomfists hitbox on his rocket punch and he would probably be fine, that thing feels like it is about 4 times the size of his actual model so when you combine that with a bit of lag it feels like you are getting punched around corners which sucks

McCree owns again now though with improved flash and the ult buff from a patch or so ago and he is great against Doomfist, so go play some cowboy

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure that Doomfist's rocket punch just makes him become a projectile, using his body damage box as a base. The thing is, projectiles as a whole have more forgiving hitboxes to account for things like RTT. I'm pretty sure it's coded into every projectile in the game, to the point where you basically have to change around the base projectile object in order to change the hitbox for his punch. They did that once, and it hosed basically every projectile class in the game before they reverted because the hitboxes had a much harder time connecting hero damage boxes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Doomfist's punch needs a clearer warning sound, so it's less of a "you got punched with no warning, ya dead now" and more something you can avoid. The hitbox also could be a bit smaller or clearer, as it often feels like you're outside of it's range when it hits.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

How much more does the exceptionally loud HNGN-VWEEEEEE sound need to be? It's one of the loudest callouts in the game aside from some ults. The hit box could use work maybe, but every other projectile hitbox is funky. Maybe reduce the vertical tolerance a bit, but it's not that hard to deal with, just don't engage doomfist in small rooms unless there's lots of corners to LOS him when he fists up.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 14, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

berenzen posted:

I'm pretty sure that Doomfist's rocket punch just makes him become a projectile, using his body damage box as a base. The thing is, projectiles as a whole have more forgiving hitboxes to account for things like RTT. I'm pretty sure it's coded into every projectile in the game, to the point where you basically have to change around the base projectile object in order to change the hitbox for his punch. They did that once, and it hosed basically every projectile class in the game before they reverted because the hitboxes had a much harder time connecting hero damage boxes.

Having rocket punched over a Junkrat beartrap, I can say this is not entirely the case, since you get stuck in it instead of destroying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

berenzen posted:

How much more does the exceptionally loud HNGN-VWEEEEEE sound need to be? It's one of the loudest callouts in the game aside from some ults. The hit box could use work maybe, but every other projectile hitbox is funky. Maybe reduce the vertical tolerance a bit, but it's not that hard to deal with, just don't engage doomfist in small rooms unless there's lots of corners to LOS him when he fists up.

I actually think its too loud. It sounds next to you no matter what.