Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Anyway, I have been playing some Neo Geo Color games. It seems like it was an interesting system. Like the missing link between the Gameboy and the Gameboy color.

I just picked up a copy of Densha de Go 2 for the NGPC. It's extremely impressive. It misses very little, and it's a much, much better port than I expected. I'd recommend it for Densha de Go fans looking for a fix on the go. But it's got serious palette issues in that it's a very hard game to actually see on the NGPC's non-backlit screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

BigRed0427 posted:

Same, If it's an actually good 2D Sonic. I got no problems with that.

Anyway, I have been playing some Neo Geo Color games. It seems like it was an interesting system. Like the missing link between the Gameboy and the Gameboy color.

The NGPC is one of those handheld I've always wanted but I just can't see myself playing without a backlight. Being able to play good fighting games on a handheld is a rarity. Dat joystick. :gizz:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The NGPC probably has the brighest non-backlit LCD of that era, so it's not really that bad to play even on regular lights. It's not as dim as the GBC/GBA is at least.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://mondotees.com/products/sonic-mania-original-video-game-soundtrack-lp

mondo still has a few copies of the vinyl soundtrack, if anyone wants it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm really excited for this. I'll buy it, then buy it again when/if they release it physically.

I especially like the erasure of 4 on the elevator. What a let down that game was.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Speaking of handhelds, I'm playing Gameboy Batman tonight. Way different from the NES version, but I'm liking it. How in the hell was Sunsoft so good at getting awesome sound out of these old systems?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I backed that kickstarter to get an N64 controller. That's the first thing I've ever backed. What's the over under on that actually coming out?

The company is a small outfit that ran a kickstarter previously for an NES controller that was released to good reviews. So at least they've got an OK track record. I just hope the build quality is good.

meat police fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 11, 2017

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm really excited for this. I'll buy it, then buy it again when/if they release it physically.

I especially like the erasure of 4 on the elevator. What a let down that game was.

if you like weird plastic things, there's this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Quiet Feet posted:

Speaking of handhelds, I'm playing Gameboy Batman tonight. Way different from the NES version, but I'm liking it. How in the hell was Sunsoft so good at getting awesome sound out of these old systems?

I had that game back in the day and loved it. Definitely a good early Game Boy game.

edit

Hold on, when did Wisdom Tree start reproducing their old games again?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549719931/noahs-ark-for-nes-and-sega-genesis-0

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 11, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

if you like weird plastic things, there's this.

Nah, I want an actual cart.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

In Training posted:

I still can't believe no one's ever done something with that mechanic now that every piece of junk data you could possibly ever want to look up and turn into a monster or animal or summon or whatever can be downloaded in 4 seconds

There is the DS wardriving game that uses SSIDs to generate furniture for your house. Iirc that is the whole game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's a couple kids games that involve scanning barcodes, but I think In Training was talking about somebody reverse engineering it. Not clear though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cassette tapes weren't that bad if you knew how to deal with them. People used bad equipment and the absolute cheapest blank media a lot of the time.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Cassette tapes weren't that bad if you knew how to deal with them. People used bad equipment and the absolute cheapest blank media a lot of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

Netherworld in Fortitude Valley got a Ceitipede cabinet. Trackball games are great.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TOOT BOOT posted:

Letting them fester in the car all summer probably didn't help either.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RZA Encryption posted:

You'd think they would've had a physical card for the Switch release, but nope.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

You'd think they would've had a physical card for the Switch release, but nope.

Switch doesn't surprise me that much given the headaches many companies are having with Nintendo in that regard, but I'm surprised they didn't on PS4, given that even before Limited Run Games was a thing, Shovel Knight and Retro City Rampage had releases, and the RCR dev has said that Sony is pretty accommodating for doing disc runs, even in fairly low quantities like 2000-ish.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a couple kids games that involve scanning barcodes, but I think In Training was talking about somebody reverse engineering it. Not clear though.

I remember the commercials for those barcode scanning things. Cool idea but the game part always looked like some Tiger electronic wrist band rear end poo poo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RZA Encryption posted:

Isn't all of Sonic Mania just digital? I could have sworn even the fancy collector's edition is just a code.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Isn't all of Sonic Mania just digital? I could have sworn even the fancy collector's edition is just a code.

Yeah, all current releases of the game are digital-only, with the CE's just including a download code.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I finally finally finally picked up a copy of Sunset Riders for SNES... for 45 bucks at a brick and mortar GameStop :stare:

It's legit and in very good shape. I'd still never buy retro from their website, but this was great

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Bury me with my money...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Bury me with my money...

http://burymewithmymoney.com/

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I was trying to google this but having a difficult time--do you need to worry about burn-in on PVM's? I figure you don't, but since you do with arcade monitors I figured it's at least worth checking.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Marry me with my buddy.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Agrias120 posted:

I was trying to google this but having a difficult time--do you need to worry about burn-in on PVM's? I figure you don't, but since you do with arcade monitors I figured it's at least worth checking.

Yes; I've seen listings for PVMs with burn-in, and both of my small PVMs have it in the corner from their uses in some kind of broadcast or editing environment. I think any CRT, no matter how high a specification it's manufactured to, will eventually burn-in if the same phosphors are left on for too long.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Every crt can have burn in. You won't have to worry about it unless you're leaving the same game on attract mode for a year.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The ones that have had a full service at a TV station are fun because their burn in is normally the lower-third for their news or channel logo.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm mostly just being overly paranoid about leaving a game paused for 30mins or so without turning the TV off.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I love the internet

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yes; I've seen listings for PVMs with burn-in, and both of my small PVMs have it in the corner from their uses in some kind of broadcast or editing environment. I think any CRT, no matter how high a specification it's manufactured to, will eventually burn-in if the same phosphors are left on for too long.

Agrias120 posted:

Yeah it's highly unlikely that an retro gamer will ever cause burn-in, but you'd be smart to closely inspect any potential BVM/PVM that you're considering buying. I've gotten a few over the years with timecodes burned in from being used for production work or as security screens.

You can see the text in the lower part of this BVM I've been using to test consoles with, it's super annoying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Agrias120 posted:

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm mostly just being overly paranoid about leaving a game paused for 30mins or so without turning the TV off.

With a high quality CRT, it's usually a matter of having the same image (or general shape) onscreen for days to months at a time. Of course if you keep playing the same game a ton and the ui is always in the same place you can build up that burnin over a few years.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
So right after work I headed over to take in Day 1 of Phoenix's Game On Expo and for a small con it was a heck of a treat. There were some incredible finds from the vendors there!

I put together a quick 'n dirty imgur album of some of the really cool poo poo. Overall I was hoping to somehow snag a Standalone R.O.B. even if it wasn't working. Unfortunately the only way into a R.O.B. was to drop $300-400 on a CIB NES Deluxe Set.

Though I did snag a copy of Super Mario All Stars+World that somehow got separated from the SNES it was packed with. Then a special Saturn 3-pack of Daytona, VF2, and Virtua Cop for only $15! That vendor had like 10 copies, which was wild to me.

Two things that stuck out to me at least.

(1) I HAD NO IDEA A DBZ ARCADE GAME EXISTED

(2) Some vendor somehow was slinging a complete Saturn Panzer Dragoon set.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 12, 2017

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

ProjektorBoy posted:

So right after work I headed over to take in Day 1 of Phoenix's Game On Expo and for a small con it was a heck of a treat. There were some incredible finds from the vendors there!

I put together a quick 'n dirty imgur album of some of the really cool poo poo. Overall I was hoping to somehow snag a Standalone R.O.B. even if it wasn't working. Unfortunately the only way into a R.O.B. was to drop $300-400 on a CIB NES Deluxe Set.

Though I did snag a copy of Super Mario All Stars+World that somehow got separated from the SNES it was packed with. Then a special Saturn 3-pack of Daytona, VF2, and Virtua Cop for only $15! That vendor had like 10 copies, which was wild to me.

Two things that stuck out to me at least.

(1) I HAD NO IDEA A DBZ ARCADE GAME EXISTED

(2) Some vendor somehow was slinging a complete Saturn Panzer Dragoon set.

Why were those CDXs only $150?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So right now. I'm gonna attempt to build a arcade stick to play NeoGeo games on, using the Raspberry Pi. I just ordered all the parts I need for it. Let's hope I don't gently caress up.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

RodShaft posted:

Was going to say the same. If functional go back and buy for me, kthx.

Also that Saturn 3 pack is that price new on eBay still, wonder who found the warehouse full of them and when.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

No idea. Didn't ask. Either they didn't know the proper value or the vendor had been holding on to them for too long.

I'll be back a couple more times this weekend. I can ask about the condition if they're still available. They seem really cool to have!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigRed0427 posted:

So right now. I'm gonna attempt to build a arcade stick to play NeoGeo games on, using the Raspberry Pi. I just ordered all the parts I need for it. Let's hope I don't gently caress up.

Nice.

I just got an X-Arcade with 2 sets of sticks and buttons and called it a day myself.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sir Tonk posted:

You can see the text in the lower part of this BVM I've been using to test consoles with, it's super annoying.

You could've at least picked a better game to test with. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You'd best watch what you say about the best version of Tetris

• Locked thread