Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

WINTER'S LONGER THAN YOU THINK DAD. LONGER THAN YOU THINK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

The holes probably spray some kind of organic accelerant when the dragon breathes fire or something like that

This is the most likely answer for those that cannot give up their tactical realism. Prb like snakes when they spit venom but burney fire stuff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're obviously under evolved snorkels since dragons were originally amphibious lizards like their reptilian cousins the frog.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Groovelord Neato posted:

WINTER'S LONGER THAN YOU THINK DAD. LONGER THAN YOU THINK.

Boys, it's an eternity in there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I should have let the technicians put me under for seasons 5 and 6.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Constant posted:

this is gonna kill the NK

i mean what the gently caress can he do against it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

The holes probably spray some kind of organic accelerant when the dragon breathes fire or something like that
but only when you gently caress em

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The community's having a lot of fun mocking Euron's omnipotence and it's really satisfying because he was a stupidly powerful Mary Sue in the books too, the show just exaggerates it to the point of parody (the same way they did with Ramsay).

Euron has basically done nothing in the books yet beside goad his brother.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Vakal posted:

he did allegedly walk the ruins of Valyria, which usually kills people.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

he did allegedly walk the ruins of Valyria, which usually kills people.

I thought that was the stone men who killed people?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Who wants to bet the spooky ruins of Valyria that kill everybody is just toxic gas?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Valyrian gas is left over radioactive waste from thousands of years ago when a nuclear war happened and everything in the show is mutants or lost technology. Wrap it up.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

I thought that was the stone men who killed people?

That's the show version of Valyria.

Book version is an island with a fuckton of active volcanoes and "TEH DOoo000oOOMmmMM" that still lingers.

Every ship that sails too close to Valyria's Smoking Sea gets rekt or dissapears. A Lannister dude went to poke his nose around there carrying his Valyrian sword and never came back. One of Tywin's youngest brothers went searching for the Valyrian sword and also dissappeared. Tyrion, Jorah and some notappearingintheshow sail too close to Valyria and their ship gets hit by a hurricane or the maelstrom and end up floating adrift till a bunch of pirates capture them and sell them as slaves.

In the book the Stone Men live in a place called The Sorrows, which is a sunken city that got hit by the fantasy plague or sth, and is covered in mist so boats get lost and end up sailing in circles. Or magic. It's just a sp00py place.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 12, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Valyria was built on a volcanic mountain range. The deaths could be explained by continuing volcanic activity, including bizarre and unexpected currents and shoals and toxic gas eruptions.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Yeah Valyria isn't that interesting of a place because most of it's spookiness can be explained as "it was built around 14 loving volcanoes and fault line what do you expect??"

The Sorrows on the other hand I was super dissapointed that they scrapped it's spookiness in the show.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Arglebargle III posted:

Valyria was built on a volcanic mountain range. The deaths could be explained by continuing volcanic activity, including bizarre and unexpected currents and shoals and toxic gas eruptions.

oh word?

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
In the books there aren't there supposed to be like demons and poo poo still wandering valyria?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kromlech posted:

In the books there aren't there supposed to be like demons and poo poo still wandering valyria?

Those are folklore tales from the common people and sailors. Not confirmed since no one has ever gone and returned, and the only guy that allegedly did would totally make poo poo up to make it sound more epic.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If the ground under your feet can collapse into a pit of burning farts at any moment that sounds pretty haunted to me.

Isn't The Sorrows just some kind of wetland system of the Rhoyne? It's literally just a swamp.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Isn't The Sorrows just some kind of wetland system of the Rhoyne? It's literally just a swamp.

It has the thing where Tyrion's boat passes a sunken statue and goes under a bridge and then a few minutes later comes across the same sunken statue and bridge. Theoretically the river is straightforward and doesn't have loops or bends, and they didn't change directions (since after that they end up coming out at their intended location instead of going back to the begining of the Rhoyne). So there's definitely some mystical poo poo going on.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tyrion was originally supposed to meet a god in the Sorrows but GRRM ended up scrapping it to keep religion/magic in the series more ambiguous.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, he was supposed to meet the Shrouded Lord, who I think appears to him as his uncle Gerion, or something?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

Yeah, he was supposed to meet the Shrouded Lord, who I think appears to him as his uncle Gerion, or something?

This sounds cool, who is the shrouded lord?

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Going by "The Lord's Kiss," it's a condom.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GobiasIndustries posted:

This sounds cool, who is the shrouded lord?

A mystical being said to rule The Sorrows, giving people greyscale with a kiss. There's a few different tales Tyrion hears about who he is and where he came from.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
What? No, of course I wasn't making out with the stone men again! This stone herpes must have come from some mystical being. It was wearing, uhh, a shroud.

Anyway tear off my lips and slap on some ointment again. My insurance covers this right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

It has the thing where Tyrion's boat passes a sunken statue and goes under a bridge and then a few minutes later comes across the same sunken statue and bridge.

What's more likely:

a) Tyrone passed a pair of statues and bridges that looked very similar? (Wasn't he drunk off his fucken gourd at the time?)

b) Tyrone accidentally took a channel around an island instead of the main channel and ended up going in a circle?

c) There's a god who hangs out in a swamp and gives people herpes, and he likes to give travelers wicked bad deja vu?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

esperterra posted:

Tyrion made him laugh, which is why he didn't get greyscale but JonCon did.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ague Proof posted:

Tyrion made him laugh, which is why he didn't get greyscale but JonCon did.

Right! gently caress, I wish he had kept that part of the chapter.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

What's more likely:

a) Tyrone passed a pair of statues and bridges that looked very similar? (Wasn't he drunk off his fucken gourd at the time?)

b) Tyrone accidentally took a channel around an island instead of the main channel and ended up going in a circle?

c) There's a god who hangs out in a swamp and gives people herpes, and he likes to give travelers wicked bad deja vu?

c)

Cause a) and b) can only be plausible if there were no other witnesses. JonCon, Fakegon and the rest of the crew saw the bridge pop up twice. The first time they were quite and went unnoticed by the Stone Men, the 2nd time they were arguing and not paying attention and the stone men attacked them.

I mean, why does c) sound the least likely in the universe of dragons, zombies and ice demons?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sounds like it would be really easy to ambush them if they accidentally went in a circle.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Vakal posted:

Euron is probably the worst instance of GRRM deploying "tell, don't show" - everyone talks about how creepy and scary this guy is but he doesn't actually do a whole lot. The preview chapter from the book that wont come out does finally put some teeth to his characterization but its still pretty small potatoes.

I enjoy stupid redneck rockstar show Euron. Why not, the show is totally ludicrous at this point.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mike N Eich posted:

Euron is probably the worst instance of GRRM deploying "tell, don't show" - everyone talks about how creepy and scary this guy is but he doesn't actually do a whole lot. The preview chapter from the book that wont come out does finally put some teeth to his characterization but its still pretty small potatoes.

I enjoy stupid redneck rockstar show Euron. Why not, the show is totally ludicrous at this point.

I'd argue that Euron will be just fine in the book when there is no 20 year pause between reading AFFC and Winds of Winter.

In the show he doesn't come across as dangerous at all. He does what he says and is pretty good at it. Sure, he wants to rule, but everyone wants to rule. If they want him to come across as Ramsay level evil he needs to rape Yara, which they can't do because they went to that well to often already.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I did it I accidentally spoiled someone on the johnny targaeryien thing. They had worked out their own theory involving Jon and Danny being siblings and I didn't realize they were coming out of left field with that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Next year on HBO, Rhaegar Targaryen crowns Lyanna Stark queen of love and beauty at the Harrenhal tournament in an epic six-part miniseries. We'll sell you the jousting and romance, but mostly it will be horses making GBS threads onto the dirt.

But it's an ASOIAF property and HBO, so you rubes will totally watch it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

We, the decision makers at HBO, have many more GoT stories to tell like:

The adventures of a maester on a quest to find the best recipe for pie crust in the Seven Kingdoms. However, when he soon finds his quest folly he decides to dedicate his life to making the perfect pie crust and open a tavern. One day, a mysterious group of children stop for a bite and the maester, nearing death, sees in one of the children a predilection for all things pie and gives him an opportunity that the child won't soon forget: his tavern, and his quest for the ultimate pie crust. Coming in 2019 it's Game of Pies.

We know you idiots want to see a TV show about Robert's Rebellion but you dumb fucks are gonna have to wait until we get really desperate for viewers.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
They'll never do Roberts rebellion because they've already cast young and old versions of folks and there are too many overlapping characters they'd have to recast.

If we're lucky we will get live versions of GRRMs targaryen poo poo

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They'll never do Roberts rebellion because they've already cast young and old versions of folks and there are too many overlapping characters they'd have to recast.

If we're lucky we will get live versions of GRRMs targaryen poo poo

A miniseries of old Westeros ending with Aegon's conquest would be very cool.

It will never happen.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
If they're gonna do a spinoff it should be the Nights King romance and him getting taken down by Brandon and Joramun, go big or go home.

And Iwan Rheon should play the Nights King just to gently caress with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As if they won't do a lower budget spinoff, so the only magic they need to pay for is the poo poo that doesn't involve CGI wolves or dragons or skellingtons.

But I want a spinoff set in Asshai by the shadow ...

• Locked thread