Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

thatguy posted:

Progress is a hologram.

Star Citizen: Progress is a hologram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Percelus posted:

no cockpit can hold this commando

or any commando, in star citizen a :airquote: space game :airquote:

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

That whole thing is so loving cute, adorable, badass and cool... I might just buy that loving game. Jeez. That's how you're supposed to create a loving game.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

MinorInconvenience posted:

That whole thing is so loving cute, adorable, badass and cool... I might just buy that loving game. Jeez. That's how you're supposed to create a loving game.

It's a good game if you like harrowing experiences of psychosis broken up by light environmental puzzles and pretty delightful rhythmic combat. I'm glad I bought it, finished it in a few sittings and will likely go back for another run in a few months. I hope this is the first of a series.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this is awesome

I'm gonna buy hellblade

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol didn't realize 3lateral was in serbia

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Hellblade owns

Play it with headphones. Regular use of binaural techniques to really make you

dare I say it

immersed

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
roberts release the loving report already

just delay it until 2018, you know you want to bud

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I remember poison taco and how he wrote this...

which got a few :reddit: golds and made me think that both him and the community were slowly opening their eyes. But then I checked his post history and found a post with 11 (!!) golds titled "we are not idiots" and welp, he is, and they are.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I wonder what the reviews of 3.0 will be like :allears:

Hellblade is already out and getting really nice reviews:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

MinorInconvenience posted:

It's almost a walking simulator. It's pretty much a once and done game, with no replay value.

The way it represents the experience is really fantastic. It's a wonderfully well done experience. The visions/delusions she has are so well crafted that they gave me goosebumps on multiple occasions.

The visions are almost like holograms. I wonder if they spent weeks harping on about their ability to make visual effects in a video game.

Actually getting into comparing SC's hologram teleconference with a guy sitting at a desk, with Hellblade's implementation of psychiatric visions, would just be embarrassing.

The whole thing with the video editor person ending up playing the main character is also adorable as gently caress.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"Marketing has no say on schedule report" - some idiot community manager at CIG

Sure buddy, I bet right now CIG isn't desperately trying to create spin to make themselves look less like gigantic fuckheads on the day NMS got a content patch that pretty much had more content than all of 2.x patch cycle.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

serious lack of cute animals here

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mr.Tophat posted:

Hellblade owns

Play it with headphones. Regular use of binaural techniques to really make you

dare I say it

immersed

Oh, yeah. The game uses binaural audio. You need headphones for the full effect. I can't think of any other game that has ever used binaural audio. It lends a really chilling effect to the voices in her head.

The sound design in that game is top notch.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Come on CIG, how hard is it to add 14 to a number?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I watched WTFo's streams of Hellblade, and he completely missed 85% of the combat mechanics. He got told multiple times about kicks/guardbreaks, and he just said it didn't work. All his fights were awful and boring, and it looked like he was just spamming the light attack button every fight. Then when he had to face enemies with shields, he got totally owned, repeatedly. "Use kick, Saurus.", he is told. "It doesn't work.", he replies.

The combat controls are on the pause screen. He never even bothered to investigate this "kick" thing people kept telling him about.

All other streams of Hellblade combat I've ever watched, it looked fun. His looked like miserable slogs. He just kept mashing the one button.

After failing repeatedly, he said the combat portions were the worst part of the game. He then turned down the combat difficulty to easy, and still just barely beat a guy blocking with a shield.

I'm not sure he ever figured out that there are 2 attack strengths. I know he never figured out the loving button press for kick/guardbreak. And he was miles away from ever touching the combat combo system.

The combat is the worst part of the game though. *barely beats a shield equiped cannon fodder enemy on easy mode*

It's almost like tons of Star Marine ruins you for actual gameplay.

XK fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 12, 2017

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

After 12,000+ hours of Star Marine I can see how actual gameplay would be confusing as hell for poor WTFo

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Gosh she is really loveable

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I just bought this game called Slime Rancher, it's pretty fun and relaxing i recommend it commandos

Hamled
Sep 11, 2003

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Assuming the greatest optimism- even 3.0 has no significance as a milestone. They're already misusing the nomenclature as it should be 0.3, so what is release? 10.0? Even that they would stretch out with 3.0.1, 3.1.1, 3.1.12, whatever the gently caress they want since they don't respect any kind of system anyway and aren't capable of actually making the progress that warrants an increase in version number

Chris Roberts disrespects the very institution of computer programming, in every possible way

Version numbers are themselves disrespecting the institution of computer programming. The only correct way to describe the version history of a software artifact is through a tree that uses content-based addressing.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

XK posted:

I watched WTFo's streams of Hellblade, and he completely missed 85% of the combat mechanics. He got told multiple times about kicks/guardbreaks, and he just said it didn't work. All his fights were awful and boring, and it looked like he was just spamming the light attack button every fight. Then when he had to face enemies with shields, he got totally owned, repeatedly. "Use kick, Saurus.", he is told. "It doesn't work.", he replies.

Combat has locked animations. So if you're mashing the attacks and then remember to hit the melee, it will feel like the melee button isn't registering. Still, you should probably be able to figure that out after messing up a few times.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
I guess the new format to the schedule update is that there wont be one.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

I guess the new format to the schedule update is that there wont be one.

As per the earlier request it will be entirely released on mobiglass. Which is delayed.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Also wasn't the stated reason for cancelling studio updates to not distract the devs? The burndown segment was basically all dev interviews.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Keeping the devs happy or the game on track is secondary to Chris's vanity

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, what happened to the delay schedule?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tokamak posted:

Combat has locked animations. So if you're mashing the attacks and then remember to hit the melee, it will feel like the melee button isn't registering. Still, you should probably be able to figure that out after messing up a few times.

He said in that stream that he's never played Dark Souls, yet he kept saying the combat was like Dark Souls, while completely failing to grasp Hellblade's simpler combat system.

I'd love to watch WTFo play a souls game.

"The fighting is horrible. It's the worst part of the game."

He also said that cinematic stuff was his favorite part of games. He's right on board for crobbler's poo poo.

WTFo would probably love The Order: 1886.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chris's vanity probably comes from Restoration Hardware as well.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

trucutru posted:

So, what happened to the delay schedule?

It's 8:45 pm on the west coast. Is there anything? They said they were doing Burn Down instead of other stuff, yet they still did a render to texture AtV yesterday.

Burn Down is an excuse to stop other content, but where's the Burn Down?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6t1vvu/i_will_be_taking_a_tour_of_cig_today_and/

Wow riveting stuff...

Who would have thought he would be all excited to visit and then have nothing to say.. except 'ALL YOUR FEARS ARE FOR NOUGHT BELIEVE IN THE CHRIS !!!'

It's almost like a plant just in time for the latest bad news, almost.

Hamled
Sep 11, 2003

Weekly StarCitizen UI update:

They're slowly approaching a piece of UI that could actually have any kind of value in-game. This one features the commodity selling interface for Port Olisar. You can clearly see several distinct types of commodities, organized into a few categories. So lets break down the UI pieces and what they might say about the game (from right to left):

1) 3D visualization of your cargo hold: This is a complete waste of screen space, there's doesn't appear to be anything meaningful you learn from this besides exactly which of the indistinguishable crates would be missing when you next entered your ship's cargo bay. The only reason that a normal (non-CR) person would want this in the game is if you actually had to lay out your ship's cargo hold manually to optimize load/unload times. Ugh, just the thought of that is depressing. Also, there's a spot showing load/unload times, both of which are negative for some reason.

2) Amount to Sell: The most glaring flaw here is that we're showing 8 units selected to be sold (this matches the 8 red crates in the 3D visualization), but the Accepted Commodities panel clearly shows that we possess only 3 Magnetic Waveguides (the commodity currently selected for sale). In addition, the min/max bar is at approximately 60%, which implies that this player could actually attempt to sell 13 or 14 Magnetic Waveguides. Also, the total sale price of 2,376 indicates a price per unit of 297 aUEC (is that different from UEC?) which does not match the value shown Per SCU in the Accepted Commodities panel. Finally, the unload time listed here both doesn't match the number on the 3D visualization panel and is not listed as minutes and seconds like any normal person would want.

3) Accepted Commodities: The biggest thing here is that all of the commodities show the same numbers for Per SCU and Total Value. The number of units indicated by those values is 25, however none of the individual commodities have a quantity of 25 listed. Also, the names for these are laughably generic including "Mineral" and "Alloy", "Metal" and "Non-Metal", but I think that's par for the course in SC lore. At least the different categories of commodity are color-coded and sorted.

4) Sell From Location: This panel is actually the most internally correct of the whole screen. All of the SCU numbers add up as well as the Value and Total Value numbers. And most of the SCU numbers match the total for that category as shown in the Accepted Commodities screen (except for Ore, which shows 17 in Accepted Commodities and 25 in Sell From Location -- maybe there's a subset of Ore commodities that can't be sold in Port Olisar).

Where things fall apart though is the percentage of commodity cargo and the associated chart. The percentages for everything except Ore pretty closely match the SCU numbers, which would imply a total commodities cargo of 100 SCU. But the listing clearly shows only 59 SCU. And again the Ore category is off -- showing 65% of all cargo with just 25 units (implying total commodities of 38 or 39). And lastly, the color-coded chart just under "Commodity Cargo 59 SCU" mostly seems to match the percentages listed, but at first blush I think the smaller numbers are showing some padding because that grey part does not look like it's only 4% of the whole bar.

All in all it looks like the graphic designers who are in charge of making these UI mockups for the weekly AtV bullshit videos are actually putting some more diligence into their work. They might even be collaborating occasionally with the game designers to get some clues as to what content might show up in the UI they're making. I fully expect that by the end of August we'll be seeing UI mockups that genuinely give the impression there's a game behind them.

Edit:
This cat made me think of Star Citizen for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKl557objKc

Hamled fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 12, 2017

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

XK posted:

The combat controls are on the pause screen. He never even bothered to investigate this "kick" thing people kept telling him about.

All other streams of Hellblade combat I've ever watched, it looked fun. His looked like miserable slogs. He just kept mashing the one button.

After failing repeatedly, he said the combat portions were the worst part of the game. He then turned down the combat difficulty to easy, and still just barely beat a guy blocking with a shield.

I'm not sure he ever figured out that there are 2 attack strengths. I know he never figured out the loving button press for kick/guardbreak. And he was miles away from ever touching the combat combo system.

The combat is the worst part of the game though. *barely beats a shield equiped cannon fodder enemy on easy mode*

It's almost like tons of Star Marine ruins you for actual gameplay.

He might just be a giant colossal idiot.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tokamak posted:

I learned this lesson hard on Dark Souls. Hit that attack button one time more than you need, then "Oh poo poo" try to dodge, sorry, your press of the attack button is buffered/animation in progress.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

lazorexplosion posted:

He might just be a giant colossal idiot.

I really wanted to scream at him in chat so bad that I had to keep reminding myself I was watching a recording of a past event.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I had literally only watched 15 minutes of others playing Hellblade, that's all I knew about the game, and I was still infuriated about him missing major game mechanics.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

XK posted:

I really wanted to scream at him in chat so bad that I had to keep reminding myself I was watching a recording of a past event.

Imagine how much more frustrating it must have been to watch him live. It's bad enough to watch someone who has no idea what they're doing try to play a game, but to be able to tell them what they're doing wrong and be ignored in real time? Holy poo poo, I don't even know what I'd do

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hamled posted:

Weekly StarCitizen UI update:

They're slowly approaching a piece of UI that could actually have any kind of value in-game. This one features the commodity selling interface for Port Olisar. You can clearly see several distinct types of commodities, organized into a few categories. So lets break down the UI pieces and what they might say about the game (from right to left):

1) 3D visualization of your cargo hold: This is a complete waste of screen space, there's doesn't appear to be anything meaningful you learn from this besides exactly which of the indistinguishable crates would be missing when you next entered your ship's cargo bay. The only reason that a normal (non-CR) person would want this in the game is if you actually had to lay out your ship's cargo hold manually to optimize load/unload times. Ugh, just the thought of that is depressing. Also, there's a spot showing load/unload times, both of which are negative for some reason.

2) Amount to Sell: The most glaring flaw here is that we're showing 8 units selected to be sold (this matches the 8 red crates in the 3D visualization), but the Accepted Commodities panel clearly shows that we possess only 3 Magnetic Waveguides (the commodity currently selected for sale). In addition, the min/max bar is at approximately 60%, which implies that this player could actually attempt to sell 13 or 14 Magnetic Waveguides. Also, the total sale price of 2,376 indicates a price per unit of 297 aUEC (is that different from UEC?) which does not match the value shown Per SCU in the Accepted Commodities panel. Finally, the unload time listed here both doesn't match the number on the 3D visualization panel and is not listed as minutes and seconds like any normal person would want.

3) Accepted Commodities: The biggest thing here is that all of the commodities show the same numbers for Per SCU and Total Value. The number of units indicated by those values is 25, however none of the individual commodities have a quantity of 25 listed. Also, the names for these are laughably generic including "Mineral" and "Alloy", "Metal" and "Non-Metal", but I think that's par for the course in SC lore. At least the different categories of commodity are color-coded and sorted.

4) Sell From Location: This panel is actually the most internally correct of the whole screen. All of the SCU numbers add up as well as the Value and Total Value numbers. And most of the SCU numbers match the total for that category as shown in the Accepted Commodities screen (except for Ore, which shows 17 in Accepted Commodities and 25 in Sell From Location -- maybe there's a subset of Ore commodities that can't be sold in Port Olisar).

Where things fall apart though is the percentage of commodity cargo and the associated chart. The percentages for everything except Ore pretty closely match the SCU numbers, which would imply a total commodities cargo of 100 SCU. But the listing clearly shows only 59 SCU. And again the Ore category is off -- showing 65% of all cargo with just 25 units (implying total commodities of 38 or 39). And lastly, the color-coded chart just under "Commodity Cargo 59 SCU" mostly seems to match the percentages listed, but at first blush I think the smaller numbers are showing some padding because that grey part does not look like it's only 4% of the whole bar.

All in all it looks like the graphic designers who are in charge of making these UI mockups for the weekly AtV bullshit videos are actually putting some more diligence into their work. They might even be collaborating occasionally with the game designers to get some clues as to what content might show up in the UI they're making. I fully expect that by the end of August we'll be seeing UI mockups that genuinely give the impression there's a game behind them.

Edit:
This cat made me think of Star Citizen for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKl557objKc

You've thought about this more than Chris Roberts.

Also, it's all fake, as you've already discerned.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lol at whoever at CIG is stuck spending their whole friday night making up excuses and choosing random things to shuffle around on the schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Lol at whoever at CIG is stuck spending their whole friday night making up excuses and choosing random things to shuffle around on the schedule

You'd think that all they'd need to do is look at the JIRA board to discern the status of each open ticket