Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

god I want to play so bad. gently caress you computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
IMP POLL: Do ya'll play kb/m or controller. I use controller 95% of the time but occasionally I'll use my Mouse for equipping potions and stuff.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Controller.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Played Witcher 3 entirely on a controller because I'm a filthy console player

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Controller. It's a matter of mindfulness.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

controller is comfier

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Played Witcher 3 entirely on a controller because I'm a filthy console player

:hai:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the brawls on the controller, because it's basically the very, very easy version of the satisfying counter attack from Bloodborne over and over again, with your opponent never landing a blow as you repeatedly punch him in the face while a small crowd cheers.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Controllers are almost always preferable for third person games IMHO

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Controllers are almost always preferable for third person games IMHO

Especially brawler games

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

m+kb is better for fps and rts games and worse for everything else

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013
Does anybody play with the music set to 0?

I turned the music off for my second playthrough and it's nice to hear just the wind in the trees or the bustle of Novigrad and so on. Cutscenes feel very odd without soundtrack though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I haven't played the game in over a month and I still have the Toussaint song stuck in my head.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

One Man Trash posted:

Does anybody play with the music set to 0?

I turned the music off for my second playthrough and it's nice to hear just the wind in the trees or the bustle of Novigrad and so on. Cutscenes feel very odd without soundtrack though.

theres some good combat music in this game but i get what you mean, especially with some nice headsets on walking around a huge forest and hearing the wind howl through the trees and poo poo is nice
but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQ2ECQTCis epic theme for mjaor monsters in velen

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I go back and forth because even though the music is good it feels kind of repetitive

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I go back and forth because even though the music is good it feels kind of repetitive

I know what you mean but I feel like that has as much to do with the fact that I put dozens of hours into this awesome game, so the music was going to get repetitive eventually no matter what

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Controller, my PC isn't that good so I was locked at 30 FPS and it's less noticable with a controller, IMO.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I know what you mean but I feel like that has as much to do with the fact that I put dozens of hours into this awesome game, so the music was going to get repetitive eventually no matter what

Yeah, like the sad Velen violins got tiresome because I kept going back to Crow's nest to sell armor and the Skellige music grating on me is my own fault for finding all the ?s, but it does a decent job of mostly being subtle enough that 100s of hours later, you don't want to murder the person who wrote it.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, like the sad Velen violins got tiresome because I kept going back to Crow's nest to sell armor and the Skellige music grating on me is my own fault for finding all the ?s, but it does a decent job of mostly being subtle enough that 100s of hours later, you don't want to murder the person who wrote it.

The Velen music is probably the one I got most tired of, and also the one that randomly pops into my head the most. The soundtrack is really good.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I play with KB+M, but that's only because I don't actually have a controller for my PC. :shobon: I really oughta get one, one of these days...
(Also yeah, definitely seconding the quality of the soundtrack)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i play with kb+m even though i have a controller. never really thought of using my controller - seems it'd be annoying to go through the inventory, crafting menus etc without a mouse.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
My computer's kinda bad, so it's easier to ignore the 30 FPS limit when I'm using a controller. The camera moves around more slowly, so it feels cinematic rather than limiting. Works much better for me

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I'm going to be sad when I'm finished with this game, it is just so drat good. Story, writing, characters are all captivating, in some parts the dialogue has had me laughing out loud. Combat is fun and the game looks fantastic. Only thing I can find fault in is Gwent but they give you the option to completely ignore that without any negative impacts so it's a non-issue

Gonna try to beat the main quest today and then move on to the DLC after a short break

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I played on controller. it just seems to work better for third person games

god damnit my video card is on back order until next month. I won't be playing witcher 3 for a while again :(

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

just beat the main story, what an awesome game.

running around deserted kaer morhen now feeling really sad. on to the DLC

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

every couple of pages a new person starts the DLC for the first time and i am always extremely jealous.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

every couple of pages a new person starts the DLC for the first time and i am always extremely jealous.

as someone who finished the dlc like a week ago..same

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's a game that makes people who finished it come back to the thread just to vicariously relive the experience of playing it for the first time through other people's posts.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Palpek posted:

It's a game that makes people who finished it come back to the thread just to vicariously relive the experience of playing it for the first time through other people's posts.

Absolutely. It's crazy to me how much this game has stuck with me. Every few days I get the urge to start a new game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I've had feelings before where I've wished I could remove all memory of a book or film from my head so I could experience it for the first time again but this is the first and only game I've thought that about. Especially now that I've read the books and things like Regis's resurrection would be so much more meaningful than "oh I guess Geralt knew this guy at some point."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremely steampunk posted:

just beat the main story, what an awesome game.

running around deserted kaer morhen now feeling really sad. on to the DLC

the game world feels so lonely after you're finished, it made me too melancholy to clear up the remaining points of interest and stuff. B&W kind of helps with that but I wish there was some way to hang out with Geralt's buds in the wild

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the game world feels so lonely after you're finished, it made me too melancholy to clear up the remaining points of interest and stuff. B&W kind of helps with that but I wish there was some way to hang out with Geralt's buds in the wild

Yeah, I tried to clear the POI about halfway through B&W's Main Quest, so the very last thing I did was the actual epilogue, then buying a few things for New Game +

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

witcher, its your old friend zoltan! how about we play some gwent?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Gwent is so much better than dice poker it's silly.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i wish this game had dice poker tho, for old time's sakes

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i need to stop reading this thread cause its making me really want to play but i cannot

also i cant get into gwent, but i buy all the cards that innkeepers have so maybe i need to give it another shot

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
That bullshit with the Kikimore Queen almost made me skip straight to the second game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

That bullshit with the Kikimore Queen almost made me skip straight to the second game.
the game gets worse from there, chapters 2 and 3 are the highlight. 4 is a nice change of pace though at least

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

http://i.imgur.com/cg2ag8l.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

i feel like im not supposed to have seen this.

• Locked thread