Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Crushed an interview yesterday, they got back to me today to say it went well too, so I'll hope the other candidates are dogshit trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fritz posted:

didnt you just start there a couple months ago
If I remember correctly they're working at a startup (strike 1) on microservices (not always a strike, but strike 2) implemented in such a way that Mongo (strike 3) isn't the dumbest thing in it (umpire sets himself on fire).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i had my FINAL INTERVIEW with the director of engineering at $company today

it seemed to go quite well and he said prospects are very good, i'll get a final decision probably on tuesday

aaaaaag the waiting

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

aaaaaag the waiting

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

i had my FINAL INTERVIEW with the director of engineering at $company today

it seemed to go quite well and he said prospects are very good, i'll get a final decision probably on tuesday

aaaaaag the waiting

gl god bless get figgies

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

gl god bless get figgies

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
l30 get the figgies

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Isn’t this what the future was supposed to be

the paperless office, telecommuting, making a deece five figgies in your basement

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Isn’t this what the future was supposed to be

the paperless office, telecommuting, making a deece five figgies in your basement

no; it's supposed to be that but with six figgies.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also everybody I'm applying to is talking about double my current salary or more, 6 figgies (usd, not 6 gbp figgies) here I come

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

gonadic io posted:

Also everybody I'm applying to is talking about double my current salary or more, 6 figgies (usd, not 6 gbp figgies) here I come

sounds like you were wasting your time being underpaid.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Management posted:

sounds like you were wasting your time being underpaid.

Let me tell you about my stock options

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gonadic io posted:

gently caress yes get it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

gonadic io posted:

time to stack paper and spoil the alien cats

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

gonadic io posted:

i can't seem to break out of the high fives. maybe next year.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I mean I'm a little concerned that my 2 years of scala is going to tie me to it forever unless I want a huge pay cut back to a junior role

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Can anyone tell me what this means "You can purchase X shares of common stock from the company at an exercise price per share with a vesting schedule determined by the Board. " I understand the individual words I think but together I have no idea. For what it's worth, it's a private company. It looks like I should be asking what the price per share is? Anything else?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

huhu posted:

Can anyone tell me what this means "You can purchase X shares of common stock from the company at an exercise price per share with a vesting schedule determined by the Board. " I understand the individual words I think but together I have no idea. For what it's worth, it's a private company. It looks like I should be asking what the price per share is? Anything else?

your shares are worth $0

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

your shares are worth $0

Worth $0 or cost $0? I was asking the HR lady and she said they company pays out $$ every so often to those with shares. I've never actually been offered shares before so I have 0 idea what I'm doing.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

gonadic io posted:

I mean I'm a little concerned that my 2 years of scala is going to tie me to it forever unless I want a huge pay cut back to a junior role
basically i don't believe this at all v:shobon:v

i spent the first 8 years of my career doing hardware in languages that hardly exist outside that domain, i've never gone back to a 'junior' role. gray forums poster csammis did a similar distance jump from HLL's to embedded.

i can't really speak to the UK market, but there are ways to switch languages/stacks/domains without a complete setback like that. it takes a fair bit of storytelling and/or nepotism, (csammis had github hobby projects, i had a ME brother at the startup where i was first called a firmware engineer) but once you're into the 3~5 year range and a solid midlevel there are general engineering/employee skills outside of one language that should be valued anywhere. your work on bringing arduino to rust environments is proof enough you can work outside of scala, buffing up that story might be enough for certain employers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the usual scam with a private company is that employee stock cannot be sold unless the company is sold or goes public. even if that occurs, often the sale is structured in such a way that the employee stock is not actually sold

if they're paying out dividends are they doing it in place of a 401k match?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

the usual scam with a private company is that employee stock cannot be sold unless the company is sold or goes public. even if that occurs, often the sale is structured in such a way that the employee stock is not actually sold

if they're paying out dividends are they doing it in place of a 401k match?

Their benefits page lists equity and 401K match. The HR lady said she got a pretty nice dividend 4 months into working there.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

huhu posted:

it means that they give you the option to buy X many shares of stock at a given price, regardless of what the market price is. that X is divided over a period of years, which is the vesting schedule. a fraction of it vests every few months or every year or so.

basically they say you can buy stock at regular intervals, if you choose to. and if the stock value is above your option price, you make the difference between the price you pay and the price you can sell it at.

now, at a private company all of this is all theoretical because the price of the stock is effectively zero until there is a market in which you can sell your shares. I.e. on IPO or purchase of the company they might actually be worth something.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

basically agreeing with what JawnV6 said. Also scala is a smarty pants language and most people are just kind of impressed / curious about it.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
i' m going from a scala job to a java job, and i'm kind of nervous about it because i've haven't programmed in java professionally

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

a very small horse posted:

i' m going from a scala job to a java job, and i'm kind of nervous about it because i've haven't programmed in java professionally

you'll be fine, but boy howdy are you gonna hate java

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you'll be fine, but boy howdy are you gonna hate java

yeah, that's what i'm nervous about

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Imagine scala without any of the good things, or the bad things, or any of the things.

Java the language is the most mundane language ever, it has none of the features that you currently depend on.
It's not even like you get better libraries moving from scala to java, although you do get to escape from all the lovely scala ones.
Tell me it's at least java 8.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

huhu posted:

Worth $0 or cost $0? I was asking the HR lady and she said they company pays out $$ every so often to those with shares. I've never actually been offered shares before so I have 0 idea what I'm doing.

whether you are offered shares or options, if it's not public stock, its actual value is likely somewhere in the vicinity of $0. there are a lot of reasons for this. some innocuous, some less so.

• par value

in the united states, your privately held company can get in some very deep poo poo with the irs and sec if you give employees stock or options that are deliberately undervalued.

as a result, the "par" value of private shares or strike price on private options will always be higher than any reasonable estimate in order to avoid getting into hot water.

the company's value has to grow very considerably after you receive the options package for them to be worth more than $0, even on paper

• ownership structure

private firms, particularly startups, usually hand out multiple classes of stock. the highest tier is investors -- they have protections and entitlements that everyone else lacks. the next tier will be founders. last is employees.

it is very possible for a private company to "exit," make the founders fabulously wealthy, and pay out employees little or nothing, because the proceeds were consumed by the entitlements granted to investors.

• lockouts

so your company exits and goes public. guess what: you don't get to sell.

the stock sold in the IPO will either be "primary" (i.e. new stock, whose proceeds go into the company's accounts) or they will be investor/founder shares. your shares, as an employee, will not be on offer.

you'll have a lockout for some period, until the IPO cools off. often the public price when your lockout expires will be so much lower, your options are underwater and worth $0.

• dilution

this one is both simple and innocuous. if you're employee #3, you might own 1% of the company at the beginning, but as funding rounds B through G execute, you end up owning 0.01%. each new funding round means new shares being issued, and there's no guarantee your stock/option grants will keep up with the rate of dilution!

as a result, the company exits, you get paid, but it's $5k for five years of work, not $500k like you hoped.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 12, 2017

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

gonadic io posted:

Imagine scala without any of the good things, or the bad things, or any of the things.

Java the language is the most mundane language ever, it has none of the features that you currently depend on.
It's not even like you get better libraries moving from scala to java, although you do get to escape from all the lovely scala ones.
Tell me it's at least java 8.

yep, java 8. I quite like scala, cats and stuff makes me feel clever .

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you don't want to read my giant block of text, just think of this in terms of incentives

if your options package was worth more than cash, why would the company give away options? it would just be cheaper for them to give you cash instead.

startup options are almost never worth anything at all

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whether you are offered shares or options, if it's not public stock, its actual value is likely somewhere in the vicinity of $0. there are a lot of reasons for this. some innocuous, some less so.

• par value

in the united states, your privately held company can get in some very deep poo poo with the irs and sec if you give employees stock or options that are deliberately undervalued.

as a result, the "par" value of private shares or strike price on private options will always be higher than any reasonable estimate in order to avoid getting into hot water.

the company's value has to grow very considerably after you receive the options package for them to be worth more than $0, even on paper

• ownership structure

private firms, particularly startups, usually hand out multiple classes of stock. the highest tier is investors -- they have protections and entitlements that everyone else lacks. the next tier will be founders. last is employees.

it is very possible for a private company to "exit," make the founders fabulously wealthy, and pay out employees little or nothing, because the proceeds were consumed by the entitlements granted to investors.

• lockouts

so your company exits and goes public. guess what: you don't get to sell.

the stock sold in the IPO will either be "primary" (i.e. new stock, whose proceeds go into the company's accounts) or they will be investor/founder shares. your shares, as an employee, will not be on offer.

you'll have a lockout for some period, until the IPO cools off. often the public price when your lockout expires will be so much lower, your options are underwater and worth $0.

• dilution

this one is both simple and innocuous. if you're employee #3, you might own 1% of the company at the beginning, but as funding rounds B through G execute, you end up owning 0.01%. each new funding round means new shares being issued, and there's no guarantee your stock/option grants will keep up with the rate of dilution!

as a result, the company exits, you get paid, but it's $5k for five years of work, not $500k like you hoped.

a good and informative nbsd post

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

no one has ever programmed in java professionally

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

huhu posted:

Their benefits page lists equity and 401K match. The HR lady said she got a pretty nice dividend 4 months into working there.
You need more details on these supposed "dividends" -- are they tied to actual ownership amount? Does this mean she has not only vested her options, but bought and carries the actual shares?

If these are genuine real dividends that company pays out to shareholders with corporate assets, then it is a very strong signal that they have no intention of raising more funds. But in that case you shouldn't expect the company to grow, meaning the present value of the options would be nothing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Management posted:

no one has ever programmed in java professionally

oh gently caress off

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Management posted:

no one has ever programmed professionally

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
programming isnt a profession

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I sell services as a service. Lol it's pretty good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jesus, I am currently right this instance interviewing a guy, and he keeps complaining about upper management at his old jobs.

Jesus, that guy was awful. How do you politely end an interview call that says "Thanks but no thanks?"

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

ratbert90 posted:

Jesus, I am currently right this instance interviewing a guy, and he keeps complaining about upper management at his old jobs.

Jesus, that guy was awful. How do you politely end an interview call that says "Thanks but no thanks?"

we have decided not to move forward at this time in your follow up email.

• Locked thread