Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Can we at least get game companies to agree where subtitles are located? Sometimes they're in the audio menu, but in other games it's in the gameplay menu, sometimes they just chill in the options.

Yeah, they're subtitles. Who the hell wants to dig around for them? They should just be right there on the pause menu along with the quit, map, and inventory buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

scarycave posted:

I've been trying to Perfect breed Pokemon in Pokemon Moon because I'd like to fight all the spiffy trainers that the game unfortunately decided to stuff in the battle tree, I am slowly being driven insane by the egg hatching animation.

Pokemon games always seem to drop great features from one gen to the next. I think both gen 6 games had spots were you could just hold down right indefinitely and keep walking, which is great for hatching eggs since their hatch "time" is determined by steps taken, but I couldn't find any place like that in gen 7.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the worst cases of platforming in games that are not platformers? This question came to mind when I slipped off that tree branch in Blighttown, you know the one.

Jedi Outcast is a 1st/3rd person shooter that, due to your character having Jedi jumping powers, has a buttload of platforming. Problem is it's no better than you'd expect for early 00s FPS platforming.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Aug 12, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Action Tortoise posted:

:wom:

ngl that's loving badass.

there need to be more beastmaster games

It sounds fun, but the game is a low-budget copy of a copy of a copy of far cry 3, a far superior game. Which is sad because cavemen deserve more.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The Moon Monster posted:

Pokemon games always seem to drop great features from one gen to the next. I think both gen 6 games had spots were you could just hold down right indefinitely and keep walking, which is great for hatching eggs since their hatch "time" is determined by steps taken, but I couldn't find any place like that in gen 7.

gen 7 has a little pit just below the daycare where you can jump on the tauros and spin around forever. No worse than going in straight lines really.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I doubt this would support its own thread, and this is kinda related: has there been a game in a series or franchise that so solidified a fun gaming experience that you can't get into later games?

This thought came up because my brother mentioned Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and it reminded me just how I can't seem to get into later Civ games. I think it was because I played SMAC as a kid, during my brief "I want to be good at video games" phase (I still remember pouring over Velocyrix's SMAC guide), and it ingrained a lot of things I considered fun that later games don't have, or are changed.

Like, whenever I play a new Civ game (did Beyond Earth ever become fun?), all of the non-SMAC things stick out to me and drags the games down. I've got no big-single-resource tiles, no Supply Crawler analogues on them to free up a citizen slot. Can't use them to rush Wonders, either. And what do you mean I can't be lazy and just put forests everywhere, trusting my research will make them 4-5-4s down the line? And you mean I can't just keep putting down base after base without care or worry?

I want to play Civ games, but they all just admit they aren't SMAC and they let me down.

i can't believe i agree with bibs but i feel 100% the same

nothing since has quite ever come together to make such a great, enjoyable experience for me as Alpha Centauri did and whenever I try a new Civ I just end up playing AC again instead

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The best accessories in GTA V, like Franklin's bandana and Trevor's beanie, are only available once the main story is beaten. Why do you have to do me wrong like that, Rockstar? At least two thirds of my enjoyment comes from playing dress up.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i can't believe i agree with bibs but i feel 100% the same

nothing since has quite ever come together to make such a great, enjoyable experience for me as Alpha Centauri did and whenever I try a new Civ I just end up playing AC again instead

For me it's Master of Orion 2. Anything vaguely in that genre feels, at best, okayish.

And AC had/has the best TBS diplomacy to date

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why the gently caress isn't Rogue Galaxy two player?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Caufman posted:

The best accessories in GTA V, like Franklin's bandana and Trevor's beanie, are only available once the main story is beaten. Why do you have to do me wrong like that, Rockstar? At least two thirds of my enjoyment comes from playing dress up.

So much of GTA V's design seems to be "put in a lot of fun things to do, and then make it as hard as possible for the player to do them". I was so pissed after a bunch of missions that promised a payday and gave nothing at the end for no other reason than "gently caress you, that's why".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So much of GTA V's design seems to be "put in a lot of fun things to do, and then make it as hard as possible for the player to do them". I was so pissed after a bunch of missions that promised a payday and gave nothing at the end for no other reason than "gently caress you, that's why".

And it transferred over to GTA:Online where there are a bunch of cars you can't ever get for no reason. Like, not the cheaty invincible cars or mission rewards. But just a handful of cool random cars you can steal and poo poo but for whatever reason they just didn't let them spawn in the online maps. There's also a few cars that have such a low spawn rate in online that the only reliable way to get them is to find someone else who already has one and circle the block in their car until it spawns.

Also no cop cars ever in online which is kind of garbage. GTA:Online would have been a hundred times better if you let players pretend to be the cops.

EDIT: For some reason I feel like playing Fallout 4 again, and here's what really drags the game down for me. It's not the lovely forced character or bad writing or anything. Not even the buggy quests or boring skills that make you ridiculously over powered no matter what.

It's that the world is just so loving flat and dead. I don't mean that in a literal "Look at this wasteland!" way either. I mean, they didn't think to really design anything but zones and quests for you to go and kill everyone. The prime example of this problem I can think of is the race track. While I was exploring this game I heard that poo poo way off because the game actually has really good sound design and I was kind of blown away. Did they really have a race track hidden somewhere in the world? I thought maybe they'd have a cool side quest, or pointless gimmick betting system in there for flavor. But nope. The second you get close to it every guy watching the race, all of the racers and even the loving announcer immediately turn hostile and you're left with no real option but to kill them. You can't even build your own robot race track settlement over it.

And the whole game is like that. Just a bunch of neat looking set pieces that do nothing but give you a shooting gallery to shoot dudes in when the novelty of shooting everyone's face off kind of wears thin after the thousandth face you shoot off because that's the only thing there is to do in the game unless you enjoy wandering around a settlement trying to spot which places the geometry actually lets you build on.

Also I'm still annoyed that Bethesda seems to be doing all they can to remove and reduce the unarmed skills between Skyrim, which doesn't have it at all, and Fallout 4 which has a very small selection of fist weapons and only like two or three unique ones at that.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Aug 12, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thee are other reasons (bugginess, the player base, the repetition, among others) why I haven't picked up Friday The 13th The Game, but it's a no-sell because, due to rights issues, they can't add Freddy Vs Jason's Jason into the game. Hell, I don't remember the 2009 Jason being the bad parts of that one...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

gen 7 has a little pit just below the daycare where you can jump on the tauros and spin around forever. No worse than going in straight lines really.

If this requires you to do more than hold down a single direction it's significantly worse.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I did think that was funny, though. Frustrating the first play through, but if you do a speedy run with a guide that will help you make the best investments, you will become a millionaire by the second act.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

If this requires you to do more than hold down a single direction it's significantly worse.

not really. you just twidle your thumb. Going in one direction is nice yeah, but eventually you have to turn around and if you're not paying attention you'll hit something eventually and then not be moving for a bit, which is poor efficiency

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mazerunner posted:

not really. you just twidle your thumb. Going in one direction is nice yeah, but eventually you have to turn around and if you're not paying attention you'll hit something eventually and then not be moving for a bit, which is poor efficiency

No, what they are talking about is an actual loop that you can keep holding the same direction for. As in you could wedge the stick to the side and set down the console if you wished. Which is a lot easier than having to run in a tiny circle by spinning the stick or whatever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the worst cases of platforming in games that are not platformers? This question came to mind when I slipped off that tree branch in Blighttown, you know the one.

Max Payne

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah. That's why I just like plopping all the eggs in the hotspring and just let them hatch by the next day.
On the plus side though, I do like they have a route outside the daycare with a dancing lady who says she pretty much stands there all day to cheer people hatching their eggs on as they run back and forth.

Think its kind of cute when games have people try to react to the weird things that players do.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Alhazred posted:

Max Payne

gently caress you for reminding me of that stupid maze with a crying baby soundtrack.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Alhazred posted:

Max Payne

Olaf The Stout posted:

It sounds fun, but the game is a low-budget copy of a copy of a copy of far cry 3, a far superior game. Which is sad because cavemen deserve more.

i haven't played an ubisoft game in so long, but they look like they have an assembly line approach to their games. like regardless of genre they'll all have the same mechanics and the only difference will be if it's either in first or third person and if there will be guns (and drones).

the racing games are the only ones that stand out to me because they're racing games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

gently caress you for reminding me of that stupid maze with a crying baby soundtrack.

Discovering the shortcut in that level that skips most of it turned that game from "once is enough" to "replay this 6 times"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Moon Monster posted:

yeah good thing they added a way to hatch eggs without pressing ANY directions huh

For content: I just started a new file on REmake and I think I'm going to have to go back to the original tank controls. The updated controls are nice....but only for one room. Since the first game relies so heavily on dramatic camera angles, running through a door at the top of the screen will often result in you walking out of the doorway towards the screen in another room. The updated controls deal with this by keeping your speed constant if you hold the stick down - so in the case above you'd hold "up" to run to the next room, and continuing to hold up will move your character towards the screen/"down" in the next room. It's very fluid...unless you happen to stop to examine something, at which point the controls instantly reset in relation to the room and my brain does a little flip trying to readjust on the fly. The tank controls suck, but at least they suck consistently.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Musing on older games again since beating finally Gutsman's level in the original Megaman (with liberal use of savestates, OG Megaman is a slippery slidey fucker) it's kind of interesting that the games that succeeded from Nes and before were basically the only games on the system that were in any way actually playable. It's like if the first printing press was a really poorly engineered mess and all the books before Gutenberg made his press work just fell apart in the readers hands. Then afterwards it finally clicked and the range was able to expand beyond the binary "I can play it. I can figure out how to wrestle the controls to somehow do some of what I expect them to do" and "Almost unplayable mess"

Edit: Actually it kind of feels like the NES versions were all prototypes, then the SNES happened and they were like "This is what we were going for in the first place! Finally we can do it like we wanted!" Hell, a lot of the SNES library were remakes/reimaginings, like Super Castlevania 4 and Super Metroid.

Cool, just beat Cutman, too. Got through most of his level without savestates too. Guess I'm getting the hang of the controls, but it's likely because there was less platforming than Gutsman's level. It overall felt easier.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Aug 12, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

No, what they are talking about is an actual loop that you can keep holding the same direction for. As in you could wedge the stick to the side and set down the console if you wished. Which is a lot easier than having to run in a tiny circle by spinning the stick or whatever.

I cannot think of a single location in any of the games where you could do that. The best routes were long straightaways but you still had to turn around eventually.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mazerunner posted:

I cannot think of a single location in any of the games where you could do that. The best routes were long straightaways but you still had to turn around eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBKhPHrLa0Y&t=159s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just run around in a circle. Here, look, it's really easy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That Tusk-Magby is amazing

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Moon Monster posted:

Spinning on Tauros was the fastest I've seen an egg hatch across all of the gens. You don't even need to spin the stick fast, just enough to keep Tauros rotating. It's not as "easy" as wedging the stick to one side, but it's fast as hell, especially with the hatch speed boosters.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Crazy idea but maybe they could just make the game fun enough to play that people wouldn't prefer to run around in circles to avoid actually playing to level up their characters :thunk:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Guy Mann posted:

Crazy idea but maybe they could just make the game fun enough to play that people wouldn't prefer to run around in circles to avoid actually playing to level up their characters :thunk:

Crazy idea but maybe you should understand the mechanics being discussed even a little bit before shitposting about them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Crazy idea but maybe you should understand the mechanics being discussed even a little bit before shitposting about them.

Guy Mann not posting like an unremarkable nincompoop truly is a crazy idea.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

No, he's right. Eggs in pokemon game are really dumb and garbage and always have been. It's never been fun running up and down in front of the daycare to hatch an egg. Sure you could play the game normally and just wait for the egg to hatch over the course of gameplay, but if you're hatching something that's reasonably rare at all then you'll probably finish the game before it hatches because step counts are bullshit. Then by the end it hatches and it's got poo poo IVs because IVs are a dumb idea too. The one time I managed to hatch a shiny beldum, it was complete garbage. I haven't played pokemon since.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I got out of the pokemon game just when shiny Pokemon started to be a thing, and all of the RNG behind it must be infuriating. I replayed some of the GBA games recently (god bless fast forward) and my team just consisted of the pokemon I remembered and thought looked cool.

That being said the entire idea behind a super rare version of your dude is incredibly appealing, especially when they have different sprites or something. I just wish I could pick my starter and take him to a mountain and have him be hit by a meteorite or something, then he just turns into a shiny version. Make it so you have to grind something but not all of this bullshit breeding/hatching/looking at EV's or whatever.

The first game's director said something to the effect of "I made this game to remind myself what it was like to catch different bugs as a kid" and I don't think any game past gold /silver captures that, but to be fair I didn't play past those so :shrug:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Penpal posted:

I got out of the pokemon game just when shiny Pokemon started to be a thing, and all of the RNG behind it must be infuriating. I replayed some of the GBA games recently

Shinies were a thing before the GBA.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Penpal posted:

I got out of the pokemon game just when shiny Pokemon started to be a thing,

Shinies were in Pokemon from Gen 1. In fact that was the only gen where they were better than normal Pokemon (stat wise)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, I'm definitely talking a little bit out of my rear end, because I never went "hard" into the pokemon games. Maybe I glanced through a gamefaqs walkthrough or read a wikia to figure some of the new mechanics out, but my last "best" pokemon memory was casually playing Fire Red on my GBA Micro. Even when I had the OG Blue cart I didn't even have the guts to take out my stickers in the back of the Nintendo Power players guide, except for my starters to put on my lunchbox or something.

If the Moon or Sun have player guides, they better have 700+ or whatever tiny stickers for you to peel out of the back and fill in. If they don't, they done goofed

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

Then by the end it hatches and it's got poo poo IVs because IVs are a dumb idea too.

Seriously. I don't understand how anyone enjoys finally catching/hatching something only to learn that it has really bad stats. And this on top of the nature thing too.
Eggs should just be for teaching Pokemon moves.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can see why you wouldn't want to get stuck with an underpowered Pokemon in a game designed to be beaten with basically any team. Oh wait, no I can't.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I don't know. I just remember hearing that having "perfect IV's" helps with the battle frontier/tree stuff. But I am pretty garbage at the game so you know maybe if I stopped doing that would help more?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
IVs don't matter at all unless you're going to be playing competitive Pokémon or the completely optional Battle Tower stuff, which is designed for people who are crazy enough to play competitive Pokémon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I played one of the more recent ones and I didn't realise my ghost sword needed to touch a rock to evolve until I thought it was a hold item, pressed the wrong thing and saw it could be used on my rad sword buddy.

I'm not a fan of the new act bosses in PoE. The ones that don't properly enter the arena are annoying to hit, the ones that do are mediocre to ok or kind bad. One of them has an attack I don't understand how to avoid unless I luck out and the boss launches it way away from me.

Cool set pieces though, I've gotta give them that.