Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Harvick's points may be somewhat relevant, but Junior drew attention in ways Harvick only did when he was in position to kick somebody's rear end after a race or after getting suspended from Cup races as a result of actions in a lower series race well before Kyle Busch did it.

The fact that the remaining tenured big names in the sport (Harvick, Johnson, Busches, Kenseth (if he even has a ride next year), Kahne) don't have the star power or name recognition of a Gordon (retired), Stewart (retired), or Dale Jr. (retiring), or even Danica (nearly unemployed) is a commentary on some combination of a) NASCAR stifling personalities to the point where everyone was boring, then let the Boys Have At It, only to try to return to their family-friendly utopia and/or b) the biggest names in the sport right now not finding a way to make themselves interesting or relatable in spite of Brian France's bipolarity. A couple drivers have been able to shake that, but they're largely disliked due taking more of a heel route (Kyle, Kes).

The Fan Council every now and then asks what we think of certain drivers and the reply I wind up giving most of them is "boring as gently caress". The flaw in Harvick's angle is NASCAR's LeBron is someone people got tired of because he was a robot who found a way to game NASCAR's unbeatable playoff system five years in a row and seven of 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

VikingSkull posted:

NASCAR died when they closed Rockingham :bahgawd:

this and the Atlanta re-do are crimes against humanity

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

SwampYankee posted:

The whole "people should/do only root for the most talented athletes/teams" sentiment that Harvick is using is kinda wrong and dumb anyway. Most sports fans I know root for their home team regardless of whether or not they're winning games and championships, and aren't gonna switch to another team when theirs starts losing.

As a New England native, I can very safely say that "fans" that migrate from hot team to hot team are not the kind of people you really want following anything, and unless someone/team is completely dominating, they are the ones to lose interest the fastest anyway.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

Slickdrac posted:

As a New England native, I can very safely say that "fans" that migrate from hot team to hot team are not the kind of people you really want following anything, and unless someone/team is completely dominating, they are the ones to lose interest the fastest anyway.

I'm in Southeast MA, and I can't picture any of the Patriots or Red Sox fans I know cheering for anyone else or not watching games because they weren't playing well, but they definitely aren't the casual fans you're talking about.

The big problem isn't casual fans leaving because of Jr not running well, it's that NASCAR spent too much time changing the sport trying to keep those casual fans around while their original fanbase started walking away because of all the changes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwampYankee posted:

I'm in Southeast MA, and I can't picture any of the Patriots or Red Sox fans I know cheering for anyone else or not watching games because they weren't playing well, but they definitely aren't the casual fans you're talking about.
god loving boston sportsfans should be fed to sharks. WE AINT NO CASUAL FANS HOW DAHR YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

NASCAR will never really have a lot of star personalities like it did in the 70s/80s/90s again because the sport has priced itself out of that.

It thrived when the guys driving the cars were a lot like the guys sitting in the stands watching the races.

Now, the gulf between driver and fan is so loving wide and you almost have to come from money to make it so it's just not the same.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Elitist Bitch posted:

I also had no idea Harvick was racist.

He's from California so its practically a guarantee.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are there any states that aren't racist

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Are there any states that aren't racist

No.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
NASCAR has had problems with race for a while now.

Adding stages helped a bit, but overall it should still do more to improve races.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Clean air has been about 36-0 every season for a long time now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

NASCAR will never really have a lot of star personalities like it did in the 70s/80s/90s again because the sport has priced itself out of that.

It thrived when the guys driving the cars were a lot like the guys sitting in the stands watching the races.

Now, the gulf between driver and fan is so loving wide and you almost have to come from money to make it so it's just not the same.

Accurate.

I keep thinking of the top drivers of the 90's. Martin, Gordon, Dale Sr., Wallace, Labonte, Mayfield, Kyle Petty (IN THE BEGINNING OF HIS CAREER), Marlin, Elliott Jarrett, Burton, and the Labonte Brothers.

All of those guys just seemed like they had more of a conncection to the fans of that era and the sport in general. A lot of them were 2nd gen with family that ran during the bootlegging days. To paraphrase from Talladega Nights "They all had a little bit of "cowboy"" in them.

Christ, who didn't LOVE any of those guys? Remember getting excited about buying the Terry Labonte cornflakes car or stuff of that nature.

Let's go to the 2000's....Johnson, Harvick, Busch Bros., Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, Dale Jr., Carl Edwards, Kahne, Kenseth...

I mean GREAT dirvers, but outside of Stewart and Jr? You're not getting the same level of 'cowboy".

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

Cygni posted:

god loving boston sportsfans should be fed to sharks. WE AINT NO CASUAL FANS HOW DAHR YOU

I don't disagree with that. I've always been a race fan, never got into stick and ball sports. Most people around here look at me like I've got two heads when I tell them I don't care much about the Red Sox or the Pats.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

There's an idot that calls into the local cleveland sports talk stations to pretty much poo poo on every team we have while saying -insert boston team here- is going to win the -insert title here-

This reaction/attitude is puzzling to me because generally when living/visting another city? I generally don't care, or will in fact enjoy watching said citie's teams play. I wouldn't call into WLW and go "DA REDS SUCK! YOU GUYS DON'T GOT PLAYERS LIKE WE DO! WOO! GO TRIBE!". I don't get this. No one is poking back at boston and going "gently caress you. You guys suck. Good luck at winning anything" in any market but New York.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
the New York-Boston rivalry is the greatest rivalry in sports

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
oh yeah and both of us will unite to talk poo poo about every other market, and rightfully so

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

the New York-Boston rivalry is the greatest rivalry in sports

OSU-UM is solid as hell.

VikingSkull posted:

oh yeah and both of us will unite to talk poo poo about every other market, and rightfully so

I've grown to respect the Yankees organization lately. I don't know why that is. Might help that Steinbrenner was a bad rear end owner, and his grandson is gonna field an indy team in the near future (even camped out at Mid Ohio).

Ugh. Can't believe they found another gem in Aaron Judge though...drat, what a beast.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Steimbrenner was an owner who wanted to make sure he kept winning, even if it meant paying bookies for dirt on his players

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bobby Labonte was boring as hell

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm mad as hell

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also fastest falloff from champion to meh midfielder ever. Kinda like your Avatar's son.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Our excitement about Darlington throwbacks every year proves the problem isn't the racing product, the chase, the loose-leaf rulebook, or driver personalities.

It's the vehicle graphics.

Ban CMYK vinyl printing and require everything to be done with paint or spot-color decals and NASCAR will be great again with a return to clean blocks of solid color. Gradients and photorealism are what's really killing the sport.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/PJJones98/status/896050742716276736

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

His penmanship looks like that of an eight year old.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mine is much much worse

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
no really yall should go back to arguing about how driver personalities are the problem and stages make it better while you still fall asleep 25 minutes into a race that will inevitable by won by either a JGR car or Jimmie Johnson

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

My mind's eye has some intern at ARCA calling Mr. A.J. Foyt as to whether or not he knows anything about PJ Jones.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

mine is much much worse

my handwriting is so bad that i switched to writing with my left hand so that i could read my own handwriting while taking notes in class, which was a temporary improvement until i got more practice at it and now it sucks equally with both hands

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

As a racing fan?

I do miss the 90's. That's cliched as hell to say, but I really fell in love with NASCAR at that time, and fell out of it by the time the 2nd term of the Bush administration came up.

It was a lot more fun to follow back when it was on TNN, TBS, CBS, ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. It felt kinda "obscure" to everyone I grew up around and kinda thought of as a "hillbilliy" sport. It also felt like venues like "Martinsville", "Daytona" , "Rockingham", "Darlington", "Bristol" felt like a bigger deal at the time.

I think the first time I had a feeling it was going to get too big was...of all things? When Christian Fittipaldi was running races for Petty. It was such a bizarre thing and didn't sit well with me for some reason. It for some reason was beginning to feel more like a "fad" as that sort of thing began to happen more and more.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

FuzzySkinner posted:

As a racing fan?

I do miss the 90's. That's cliched as hell to say, but I really fell in love with NASCAR at that time, and fell out of it by the time the 2nd term of the Bush administration came up.

It was a lot more fun to follow back when it was on TNN, TBS, CBS, ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. It felt kinda "obscure" to everyone I grew up around and kinda thought of as a "hillbilliy" sport. It also felt like venues like "Martinsville", "Daytona" , "Rockingham", "Darlington", "Bristol" felt like a bigger deal at the time.

I think the first time I had a feeling it was going to get too big was...of all things? When Christian Fittipaldi was running races for Petty. It was such a bizarre thing and didn't sit well with me for some reason. It for some reason was beginning to feel more like a "fad" as that sort of thing began to happen more and more.

Exactly the way I feel.

You posted my feelings way more eloquently than I ever could have.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

My mind's eye has some intern at ARCA calling Mr. A.J. Foyt as to whether or not he knows anything about PJ Jones.

Mr. Foyt have your ever driven a race car professionally?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Exactly the way I feel.

You posted my feelings way more eloquently than I ever could have.

It's weird re: Fittipaldi because my feelings about say, Scott Pruett, Robby Gordon, Tony Stewart, etc were of shrugged shoulders. They all seemed to "fit" the cup scene. (Pruett did Trans Am, IMSA back in the day. Gordon actually did NASCAR first, as well as Trans Am. Stewart had been doing NASCAR as long as he had been doing IndyCar).

But Fittipaldi just seemed like a bizarre cash grab for some reason. I started noticing more glaring shifts from how races were covered, how sponsors were using drivers (Kasey Kahne, All State), venues being hosed with (No more labor day Darlington, the death of rockingham). Hell even the "NEXTEL CUP" felt just...weird. As for Fittipaldi? By 2008 you had guys like Dario, Allmendinger, Villeneuve, Carpentier and Montoya trying to make the field not at Indianapolis, but at Daytona. Some of them in good, sponsored rides too. I just remember shaking my head and wondering why they weren't giving some young guy in the dev. ranks a shot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

YO THAT WAS A GOOD FUCKIN RACE

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
bubba wallace whupped they rear end

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That was a good race(TM).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bubba needs a cup ride.

bad.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Bubba needs a cup ride.

bad.

He will probably get a bad Cup ride, yes

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Bubba is the driver we needed this weekend.

Also, Kyle: :laugh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

thread_title.txt

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bubba rules

• Locked thread