Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DorianGravy posted:

I imagine that the Game of Thrones solar system is full of big gas giants which frequently change the planet's orbital path. Whenever the planet gets tugged into a super-eccentric orbit, you get such long winters. (And yes, I know that Earth's seasons are primarily caused by tilt, but high eccentricity will also have a seasonal effect.)

By the way, does the Game of Thrones planet have a name?

But only Westeros has winter. It's magic? I can't imagine a not-boring way for the show to explain it, so it's magic related to the creation of the white walkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

business hammocks posted:

But only Westeros has winter.

Just wait for Snowball GRRth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AngryBooch posted:

Honestly an O'Neill cylinder or Dyson sphere is easier for me to wrap my head around as an explanation for the weird long rear end seasons than contemplating the actual geometry of the planet's Milankovitch cycles.

business hammocks posted:

And it's only Westeros that has long seasons. Nobody in Bravos seems worried about changing seasons.

I hate when people say "its magic" to explain a plot hole, but this isn't a plot hole. Its the setting; its magic. The seasons don't need an explanation beyond dragons and white walkers.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah GoT takes place in a Dyson Sphere, I said while filing my unemployment papers and eating a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope the only explanation is a smash cut to Sam talking to Gilly saying, "and that's why our winters are so long! Isn't that interesting?" And then they make dinner together.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There is more to local climate than simply latitude. Maybe Essos enjoys the benefits of a nice jet stream that keep its climate warm year round.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DorianGravy posted:

Yes, it's called Star TrekTM

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its actually called Tahiti, because its a magical place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DorianGravy posted:

Middle Earth 2: Electric Boogaloo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
maybe winter has never come to Braavos because the white walkers have never gotten past the wall

maybe winter only exists at all because of the white walkers

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Mide posted:

So Qyburn is Hand of the Queen now yes? You think that with his level of curiosity and competency, he would have looked further into the rumors of the Night King and White Army. It also aligns with his favorite hobby. So it seems a bit frustrating that no one in Kings Landing believes or cares about the impending attack of the army of the dead.

What sucks is I think Cersei and co. are going to buy the farm this season, and will not have a moment of "ohhhhh poo poo, the white walkers are real??"

Honestly from here on out, any major death is going to be a bummer if we don't get to see that character react to the white walkers.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Cersei would marry the Night King in a heartbeat

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What sucks is I think Cersei and co. are going to buy the farm this season, and will not have a moment of "ohhhhh poo poo, the white walkers are real??"

Honestly from here on out, any major death is going to be a bummer if we don't get to see that character react to the white walkers.

Yep. Bunch of the deaths up to this point are going to feel this way retroactively, too.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mister Perky posted:

Yep. Bunch of the deaths up to this point are going to feel this way retroactively, too.

Yeah a bummer we will never get to see if Meryn Trant was into little zombie girls. Imagine how much he could have smack them

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah a bummer we will never get to see if Meryn Trant was into little zombie girls. Imagine how much he could have smack them

This, but with Robert Baratheon and titties.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

swickles posted:

There is more to local climate than simply latitude. Maybe Essos enjoys the benefits of a nice jet stream that keep its climate warm year round.
The narrow sea between the two continents makes any explanation, from jet streams to ocean currents, unable to explain the climate differences. If Westeros is freezing and Essos balmy, a west-to-east wind regime would come into effect, cooling the westernmost parts of Essos. In conclusion, only magic/malfunctioning space station climate controls can explain it.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Cersei would rock the White Walker look. She would also cause a White Walker civil war, saving the world.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah GoT takes place in a Dyson Sphere, I said while filing my unemployment papers and eating a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos

Send us some, they canceled them here.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In conclusion, only magic/malfunctioning space station climate controls can explain it.

The real explanation is that the world was created by an idiot manchild with no understanding of basic science or measurements (700 foot wall lmao)

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Supernatural things happening in my fantasy stories pisses me the hell of

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I was pretty sure that some of the other areas across the Narrow Sea had something similar to winter, maybe. It with snow but I'm feel like they have their own Nights King / white walker lore as well.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

She wishes.

We all saw the Night King mirin' Jon at Hardhome.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Night King is going to climb the tallest mountain in Westoros and raise his arms. Dead people across the land will rise up. Cersei will have to kill her undead kids.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Night King is going to climb the tallest mountain in Westoros and raise his arms. Dead people across the land will rise up. Cersei will have to kill her undead kids.
She'd probably have a hard time killing Joffrey, since he'd be a lot more pleasant than he used to be.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
White Walkers win and the massive horde of reanimated Freys that Arya poisoned end up making the difference in the decisive battle.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Perky posted:

White Walkers win and the massive horde of reanimated Freys that Arya poisoned end up making the difference in the decisive battle.

I find it hard to believe that even undead Freys can be of use to anyone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

No matter how vile they are I will always think their little hats are so cute.

I wish we got to see Walder sport one before the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I was pretty sure that some of the other areas across the Narrow Sea had something similar to winter, maybe. It with snow but I'm feel like they have their own Nights King / white walker lore as well.

I don't think they ever said anything about winter.

They have lore about Azor Ahai fighting the big bads (implied to be the night's king) but there's very few details. My interpretation was that they were always talking about the same Westeros white walker plot, not their own localized white walkers.

Like Azor Ahai was born in Essos or hung around there for awhile and then went to Westeros to kick rear end. (:ssh: LIKE DANNY)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Children of the Forrest and the Others are a Westeros thing only, like kangaroos are an exclusively Australian thing. Essos has its own weird poo poo, like dragons, Valyrians, warlocks, etc.

The threat of Westeros being wiped out is more than enough IMO, that's like half of the world. Thousands of years of culture and history.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Honestly, having all the previous battles of GOT serve only as fuel for the Night's King's army would be fantastically poetic.

But I don't see how that would end with anything other than white walker victory. I guess Dragons are still OP?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Send us some, they canceled them here.

What.

Seriously? Cool Ranch is like a default flavour. Where do you live?

e:

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yi Ti has The Five Forts, which is kind of like their version of The Wall, but afaik they only have to deal with raiders from the east, and the magical history of the place has fallen into myth by now.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 12, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

esperterra posted:

What.

Seriously? Cool Ranch is like a default flavour. Where do you live?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh lord.

That would be like renaming ketchup chips Canada Chips or some poo poo.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Imagine id a whole country was dumb enough to use "Freedom Fries" lmao

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What country can't use the word Ranch?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

This is how they're packaged in Finland. They try to sell them as some kinda "premium" american chip. :laugh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Imagine id a whole country was dumb enough to use "Freedom Fries" lmao

I'm pretty sure almost no one in the land of the free actually sold freedom fries.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm pretty sure almost no one in the land of the free actually sold freedom fries.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

they're called cool original in the uk

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Alhazred posted:

bullet stoppers (well, obsidian arrowhead stoppers, but you know what I mean)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

This is pretty cool although I don't know if it's 100% accurate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1zsvHusfPQ

• Locked thread