Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

There's been a spate of gang shootings in Copenhagen recently, so the government is going to let the military do police work now, instead of dropping the useless border patrol that takes up 10% of the police budget.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

There's been a spat of gang shootings in Copenhagen recently, so the government is going to let the military do police work now, instead of dropping the useless border patrol that takes up 10% of the police budget.
This is like two levels of dumb. Why not pull the police back to Copenhagen and have the military guard the borders, if you want the borders guarded and more policing?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That'd make way too much sense, sorry

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is like two levels of dumb. Why not pull the police back to Copenhagen and have the military guard the borders, if you want the borders guarded and more policing?

My memory might be playing a trick on me here but as I remember it the Schengen exception that allows for the temporary border controls requires that they are manned by personal falling under the police.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

My memory might be playing a trick on me here but as I remember it the Schengen exception that allows for the temporary border controls requires that they are manned by personal falling under the police.
Another reason to do what I suggested then. Besides, do we even fall under those exceptions now?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

MiddleOne posted:

Wouldn't Austria be hella non-compliant, then?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Groda posted:

Wouldn't Austria be hella non-compliant, then?

It was a drat long time since I last read that treaty.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're talking about the same people who wanted to ban burqas and established a burqa commission only to find out that nobody actually wore it. But really, military should only be deployed during invasions.

On the other hand, maybe having soldiers confiscate jewelry from refugees will drive the point home for some people. Probably not.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, you Danes are still doing that thing, huh?

This is what happens when it's legal to buy booze in gas stations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why not simply sink Denmark into the sea? Seems like that would be better for everyone

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Zzulu posted:

Why not simply sink Denmark into the sea? Seems like that would be better for everyone

no denmark is a our bulwark against atlantic and continental foes

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zzulu posted:

Listen, give it some time. Whole world is working on it, we're drilling new oil wells as fast as we can.

Wild Horses posted:

no denmark is a our bulwark against atlantic and continental foes

Why have a bulwark when we can have a moat instead?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Allowing an enemy fleet to just waltz into östersjön just will not do. You need to be a sort of picket fence :sweden:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Listen, give it some time. Whole world is working on it, we're drilling new oil wells as fast as we can.
Not enough water in the world to drown us.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

Allowing an enemy fleet to just waltz into östersjön just will not do. You need to be a sort of picket fence :sweden:
Enemy fleets already have a port in Östersjön. :colbert:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zzulu posted:

You have a strong argument and I must concede. If chalky water shat us into existence, it can surely reclaim us.

*lights a candle for Stig Helmer*

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Actually, a flooded Denmark is a terrible idea. Then they'll all come up here to live on our mountain. And there isn't room.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Actually, a flooded Denmark is a terrible idea. Then they'll all come up here to live on our mountain. And there isn't room.
It's actually an excellent idea. It'd reduce Denmark to being basically the Island of Jutland, meaning we'd centralize the population in one area - turning the country into a proper cosmopolitan city state no longer beholden to rural and suburban fascists.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'd think the danes would honor their cultural heritage and go pillage the continent.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

I'd think the danes would honor their cultural heritage and go pillage the continent.

Vikings 2.0 let's all go loot Gotland again. Actually they would probably just stay and spend all their loot on the massive amounts of bars and restaurants that island has now. Or become Game Devs.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
So, the right is pushing the "antifa is at fault" angle pretty hard, and most of the media seems pretty content to at the very least play into the "they're both bad" narrative. The former's interest is obvious; the nazis are cowards and antifa is effectively keeping them from gathering enough momentum to set upon their favorite type of targets i.e defenseless ones. I am curious about the agenda of the media though. If everything was on the level I'd expect condemnation of antifa from a pacifist perspective, or even an anti-vigilantism one, but it seems more muddled than that. Are we seeing this narrative forming because capital are afraid that an effective citizen-based response to the rise of the hard-right will galvanize the left, or am I being paranoid?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Narrative forming? Hasn't antifa violence always been portrayed as being as-bad if not worse than far right violence?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you portray antifa as bad you avoid antagonizing the borderline fascist media base, who gets to go on thinking it's just a few bad apples on the nazi side. Aka, it's ok to blame all ills on the jews refugees as long as you're not openly flying a nazi cross.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Narrative forming? Hasn't antifa violence always been portrayed as being as-bad if not worse than far right violence?

Any form of political violence in a democracy ( like the whole of Western Europe) is per default bad.
Saying one side is more bad is missing the point.
In a democracy you have numerous nonviolent ways of having influence on politics. In general, those who does political violence are people who either doesn't understand or have the patience of the democratic process.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Biomute posted:

Are we seeing this narrative forming because capital are afraid that an effective citizen-based response to the rise of the hard-right will galvanize the left, or am I being paranoid?

A = "Antifa are leftists"
B = "Antifa are bad"
A + B = "The Left is bad"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

In a democracy ( like the whole of Western Europe) is per default bad.
EHL ehm aye oh.

Also, punching nazis is never bad. Hope this helps.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Any form of political violence in a democracy ( like the whole of Western Europe) is per default bad.
In a democracy you have numerous nonviolent ways of having influence on politics. In general, those who does political violence are people who either doesn't understand or have the patience of the democratic process.
I feel this is appropriate:

MLK jr. posted:

First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Cardiac posted:

Most democratic countries have a police and a military though, and we use them for political means all the time. I don't think you can really frame antifa as being non-democratic. They're pro-punching violent nazis in the face, but that's more vigilantism surely?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If you're going to have any meaningful discussion on this the both of you need to stop conflating the American Antifa chapters with our Scandinavian Antifa chapters. Decide on which on you're actually discussing because while they might share a name and some ideals they are in fact not the same.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What is the difference apart from their location and the situation? Things are worse in the US now, but they've been pretty bad here at times too. I kinda figured they were interchangeable as far as discussions regarding their opposition and legitimacy were concerned, but I'd love to learn more.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 14, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You don't consider differences in location and situation important for a political organization? Like where do I even begin :negative:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Antifa, as far as I understand, is a loose-knit umbrella term for a bunch of different organizations and individuals, with widely differing views aside from the fact that they oppose facism. Last I heard, that was true for both Norway and Internationally. If the entire point of the label is to have a general term and banner discussing them in general should be totally fine.

What distinction between Scandinavian antifa and American antifa that we have missed is it you find important enough to get upset about? All we've said so far is that they dislike nazis and are willing to use violence to oppose them if needed, and I did not realize that was up for debate.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Because they are not the same. Their members do not act under any common sort of organizational framework (except in the loosest sense ). They do not oppose the same groups and organizations. They do not operate under the same historical and societal baggage. They do not have the same contemporary political situation. That they are based on the same principles and operate under the same brand does not imply that they are interchangeable.

In the current US political climate there are too many legitimate reasons to count for an organization like Antifa to exist both in the justice system, in government and on the streets. I would not say the same for Sweden or Norway. We are not there yet.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Because they are not the same. Their members do not act under any common sort of organizational framework (except in the loosest sense ). They do not oppose the same groups and organizations. They do not operate under the same historical and societal baggage. They do not have the same contemporary political situation. That they are based on the same principles and operate under the same brand does not imply that they are interchangeable.

In the current US political climate there are too many legitimate reasons to count for an organization like Antifa to exist both in the justice system, in government and on the streets. I would not say the same for Sweden or Norway. We are not there yet.
OK. Which part of this is relevant to the mainstream view of antifa?

e: You added the second paragraph after I had loaded the page but before I quoted it. I see your point, though I disagree. Waiting for things to get to the point they are in the US does not seem prudent.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 14, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Because Cardiac made this argument.

quote:

If he'd made that argument in any of the USpol threads I'd be right there with you. However, within the context of Scandinavian politics that is a valid argument. The political situation in the US has deteriorated in the last 2 years to a situation where it might as well be considered alien to ours.

EDIT:

quote:

e: You added the second paragraph after I had loaded the page but before I quoted it. I see your point, though I disagree. Waiting for things to get to the point they are in the US does not seem prudent.

Agreed, but I don't see political violence as helpful in stopping us from getting there.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 14, 2017

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MiddleOne posted:

We are not there yet.

Benjamin? Or if your memory is bad, how about Utøya? These people should not be given an inch. Conditions in the US have given them the numbers and the equipment to act more boldly than the scumfucks we've got here, but you better believe they're looking to imitate. Their own words is that they have to rely on impromptu illegal marches here precisely because they are afraid of antifa. That is a far preferable situation to allowing them to gather and organize unopposed.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Even then, the police are far more likely to arrest counter-demonstrators than the actual Nazis as seen here a couple of weeks ago.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah the brown shirt wannabes tried to show up here and we just followed them around. Making fun of them in foreign languages. Also, shitloads of residents called the 5-0 complaining that they made them feel unsafe, and asking what they were doing about it. The 5-0 loves that as you can imagine.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah the brown shirt wannabes tried to show up here and we just followed them around. Making fun of them in foreign languages.

Yeah, no. Anti-fascists in Norway used violence against nazis: http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/vi-ofret-mye-i-kampen-mot-nynazistene/61482196
Mainly because just making fun of people that are trying to bomb you isn't a survivable strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ours hadn't gotten around to bombing, they were outsiders pretending to be concerned citizens, and were going to start patrolling "problematic" areas that just happened to coincide with where most non-native swedes lived. It lasted all of about a week.

TBQH I was legit concerned for their safety because it's one thing to assault a brown person and slip away in the dead of night, and quite another to do it where they live, in the open. Had they put a hand on someone I really don't know if the locals would have left much to pick up.