Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No Mods No Masters posted:

We're all waiting on Gamescom in about 2 weeks, Gwent is supposed to have a big showing of their longer-term plans. Touissant characters are supposed to be added to Nilfgaard eventually but who knows the timeline.

I guess it'd make sense not to add a sixth faction, but Touissant is so distinct and its own thing, it's kinda unfair to have them sequestered to smelly ole nilfgaard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I guess it'd make sense not to add a sixth faction, but Touissant is so distinct and its own thing, it's kinda unfair to have them sequestered to smelly ole nilfgaard

What's weird is they've actually claimed they are working on more factions. With that in mind it strikes me as an especially dumpy decision. Who knows maybe they'll rethink it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What other faction could they possibly use if they still want to draw all their characters from the games/books? The only thing I can think of is separating the Wild Hunt from Monsters and making it it's own faction. Well there's also Toussaint but they've said it's going to be part of Nilfgaard. The only other option is making their own lore and characters for something like Zerrikania.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've heard people speculate Zerrikania and Ofir. It seems questionable to me as well, but a lot of their plans for gwent seem questionable. Hopefully gamescom brings a few answers.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 12, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

One of the promo maps had a spot on the map for "Witchers," but I've heard they may just be a subfaction/keyword. Don't really know enough about the Witcher setting to speculate otherwise. What's the deal with Toussaint again?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Duckbag posted:

One of the promo maps had a spot on the map for "Witchers," but I've heard they may just be a subfaction/keyword. Don't really know enough about the Witcher setting to speculate otherwise. What's the deal with Toussaint again?

It's The Witcher's version of Southern France/Tuscany, with all the pompous knights and weird fairy tales. It's also the setting for the Award Winning DLC Blood and Wine for the Best Game of 2015 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

OK, cool. I've spent the last decade wandering around the swamp in Witcher 1, so I'm a little behind.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

What other faction could they possibly use if they still want to draw all their characters from the games/books? The only thing I can think of is separating the Wild Hunt from Monsters and making it it's own faction. Well there's also Toussaint but they've said it's going to be part of Nilfgaard. The only other option is making their own lore and characters for something like Zerrikania.

NR could be split into nr and redania, with the former drawing from novigrad and the latter gaining the Bad Boys of Temeria

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i guess you could split monsters up into beasts and freaks, freaks being less harmful and more sapient monsters like dopperlings, succubui, witchers, sorceresses.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I just started playing this and I notice how most people seem to be pretty gracious and do that 'good game' thing whether they win or lose. However, I just beat this one player and instead of going to the after-match screen as usual it hung on the game board for a while, and then I finally got this message: "A problem has occurred with the opponent's client that prevents the game from continuing. Ending the game"

Is this what a ragequit looks like? :D

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Drunk in Space posted:

Is this what a ragequit looks like? :D

Could just be they have lovely Internet; Gwent is really sensitive to loss of connection. Then again, might be a rage-ALT+F4. Were you running a Dagon deck? :v:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Just a Foltest deck with some infantry spam. I think it's still early days for me to know what kind of deck I should be running, what works well etc. My opponent was running monsters, though (most players seem to be in my experience so far).

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
If there was a silver unit that put a "do nothing" spell in your hand, what would its point value have to be to be balanced? Its a bit like a spy but not quite. In some cases the spell would be entirely useless, in other cases it would be stupidly good. I can't come up with any number that I can defend really well.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

If there was a silver unit that put a "do nothing" spell in your hand, what would its point value have to be to be balanced? Its a bit like a spy but not quite. In some cases the spell would be entirely useless, in other cases it would be stupidly good. I can't come up with any number that I can defend really well.

They don't do this for a reason. Octvist is probably closest and your opponent gets several turns to shut it down. The spies are all minimum ten for your opponent and most people still run them because card advantage is crazy strong in Gwent. Yeah the card you draw with Cantarella is usually better than a blank card, but it's not usually worth giving ten to your opponent. The power is in having that extra card at all.

Imagine playing your hypothetical silver round one. Unlike the spy, it's not negative tempo, so it doesn't keep you from winning the round. Then your blank card becomes a way to bleed them of a useful card round two or, if you empty pass, a way to secure last play round three. With Octvist, Ciri, or a spy in the mix as well, you could go down two cards to win round one and still get last play round three. Even if your silver was just a blank spell that gave you a blank spell, it could still break the game. There's a reason there's only one spy per faction and all the other draw is symmetrical.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Duckbag posted:

They don't do this for a reason. Octvist is probably closest and your opponent gets several turns to shut it down. The spies are all minimum ten for your opponent and most people still run them because card advantage is crazy strong in Gwent. Yeah the card you draw with Cantarella is usually better than a blank card, but it's not usually worth giving ten to your opponent. The power is in having that extra card at all.

Imagine playing your hypothetical silver round one. Unlike the spy, it's not negative tempo, so it doesn't keep you from winning the round. Then your blank card becomes a way to bleed them of a useful card round two or, if you empty pass, a way to secure last play round three. With Octvist, Ciri, or a spy in the mix as well, you could go down two cards to win round one and still get last play round three. Even if your silver was just a blank spell that gave you a blank spell, it could still break the game. There's a reason there's only one spy per faction and all the other draw is symmetrical.

Well what if it was disloyal? That would make it the same as a spy, minus the deck thinning and the compensation of the power you draw against the disloyal value. I mean spies already get you 8-12 power on average from the card you draw. The real question is would it break the game if you could run two silver spies. Which I think it might, since silver spies are stupidly good. Which leads me to ask, how are they ever going to print any more cards along the lines of the current silver spies without some kind of new deck building restriction. CA being worth what it is, any silver on the same power level as silver spies would be autoinclude a lot of the time.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Well, there are huge tempo costs to playing spies. I've had games where I drew Cantarella late and lost because of it. Playing last isn't always that valuable and spies can't guarantee that (especially sinc your opponent likely runs one too). Having a second spy would increase your deck thinning, help pull combo pieces and tech cards, and probably give you last play, so it would be crazy good a lot of the time, but you'd have to have enough power in the rest of your deck and consciously play around the huge tempo losses. Certain decks -- like Dashgaard -- could become insane powerhouses, but a lot of other ones wouldn't benefit nearly as much or be actively harmed by it (plenty of people don't run spies).

It would probably really bad for game balance and deck diversity.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 14, 2017

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I never noticed Johnny said DISCARD something from your hand and replace it with a copy of same color from your opponent. That'd probably be pretty funny with cerys / olgierd / morkvargh, but I don't have those cards :v:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Captainicus posted:

I never noticed Johnny said DISCARD something from your hand and replace it with a copy of same color from your opponent. That'd probably be pretty funny with cerys / olgierd / morkvargh, but I don't have those cards :v:

It's pretty fun with Ciri:Dash, too as you can get a fifth gold out of it. Plus it protects her from getting shut down by first round shackles. If you've got a solid draw/tutor engine like Stephan+Albrich you can even play her again the same round you discarded her. Main downside is sometimes the gold you pull is bullshit like Saskia, Cahir (if you aren't Nilfgaard), or some other deck specific card you can't really use. It's pretty great against Monsters, Northern Realms, or Skellige, but Scoia'tael and Nilfgaard are bigger gambles because their golds tend to be more situational.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like the factions are pretty good as is, since they seem to encapsulate all the possible means of approaching the game's strategy. You'd start to get redundant otherwise.

The only idea I can come up with for a unique faction hook would be a faction that benefits from facing overwhelming odds. Like Touissant knights who have maybe base 8, but get plus 10 if the other player is leading by 20 or some poo poo. You could wing it to have a single unit greatly powered up facing what would normally be a winning hand, something that serves to reverse high number players. But even that sounds kinda similar to what other decks can do, particularly Scorch decks that can eliminate strong cards and stack their side with numerous weaker ones (Scoiatael!!!)

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Underwear posted:

10, disloyal.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm level 9 in this now and I gotta say: there is no better feeling than beating ranked players in casual who then don't GG you, especially if they forfeit after the first round.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I basically don't notice if I get a gg or not. The bonus is a pittance. Having people first round forfeit because their gimmick deck didn't pan out is why I mostly play ranked now

Anyway, funny story, I built the Dashgaard deck posted a few days ago and my very first match was against Emhyr mill with the shackles Avelach trick. I was decked out half way through round 2, lol. That's what I get for testing it in casual first. Hardly anyone is running mill in ranked (and I've seen first hand why).

Incidentally, has anyone noticed this tendency of fairly well ranked Monster players running these horribly bloated 30+ card decks? I can't believe it's a specific counter to mill (though Lord knows it works for that) because only a few of us run it. Is it just that playing monsters is basically easy mode at lower levels and these people never had to learn proper deck building, or is there something I'm missing?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Mill is a feast-or-famine deck; it's basically an auto-win against any self-thinning deck and an auto-lose against anything that has little or no thinning (e.g. Monsters). Its success completely depends on what's popular in the meta.

No idea why Monsters would run a 30+ card deck; they have fewer thinning options than any other faction, and Mill isn't anywhere near prevalent enough to cripple your deck in every other matchup to counter it. You sure it wasn't growing to ~30 cards after a couple Nekker Warriors? They aren't common these days, but used to be used regularly on Nekkers in Consume, and there's still a couple Dagon Foglet decks that use 'em for massive third round foglet swarms. Otherwise it sounds like players who don't understand deck building, or someone's made some sort of crazy meme Monsters deck. Which archetype were they running?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I've seen it multiple times with dagon and at least five times with consume and actually had to stop running mill because I kept losing to decks that were otherwise complete bullshit. I have no clue why. Maybe my losing streak just dropped my mmr enough to play really lovely decks. Anyway, I think monsters are just too strong in the meta to make mill viable.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Are those beginner decks on gwentify still ok? I kind of want to build a beginner nilf deck, as they were my favorite W3 faction. Anyone?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Just had a look, the Nilfgaard one isn't that bad, and would be an ok starting point. It is quite weak to scorch and resets, though. I don't know how popular those are with other beginners, though nilfgaard starts with Peter Saar so you would have a weakness to other nilfgaard players.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Are those beginner decks on gwentify still ok? I kind of want to build a beginner nilf deck, as they were my favorite W3 faction. Anyone?

The first few I saw either looked like complete poo poo or weren't really "starters" (lol at trying to make Ciri: dash work at level one), but there are probably a few good ones if you look. The big problem is Nilfgaard has probably the worst starter deck because it's all built around Emhyr and bouncing deploy effects. Emhyr is one of the worst leaders and almost unplayable at higher levels without a very specialized gimmick. At lower levels, he's more competitive, but the card pool they start you with was over nerfed two patches ago and is full of mediocre or borderline trash cards like black infantry arbalest.

The more competitive Nilfgaard builds like reveal, spies, and tempo all take a bunch of cards you won't have, so your best bets are either muddling through with a mediocre Emhyr or Calveit until you have more cards (I did this. It worked fine.) or starting with a different faction until you have more cards. Don't scrap all your extra cards to make a deck that will get you to level ten slightly faster but will be utterly uncompetitive afterward. It's a waste. Just learning how to play the cards you have is enough to get you there.

My best advice is to take advantage of Nilfgaard's strong utility cards and try to control the flow of the game. Rot tosser is a loving super star at low levels, but it takes a little while to figure out when to use it (it's often smart to save one for round 3 so you can hit their big guys unopposed). Vicovaro medics can really hurt skellige discard decks by pulling Queens guards or other ressurection targets. Emisarries give you solid deck thinning even if you aren't running spy tech. Combat engineers for resilience, Nauzicaa standard barriers for weather clear, and that sort of thing give Nilfgaard way better options for bronze control than any other faction and that's something you can exploit at low levels.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That's all super great advice, thanks. Could you suggest a starting deck for Nilf, or should I just use the starter included?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
any goons want to play some matches

add me: NomadicNinja

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Firstborn posted:

That's all super great advice, thanks. Could you suggest a starting deck for Nilf, or should I just use the starter included?

The basic starter will get you through the tutorials and work fine for a little while after that. Then you can start getting a feel for what you like and don't like. You'll want to swap out the arbalests and spear dudes pretty quickly though. A lot will depend on what cards you pull in your first few packs, but the basic spy kit of three rot tossers, three emisarries, and three impera brigades is a really strong addition, or you can get alchemists and daerlan foot soldiers.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

General Morden posted:

any goons want to play some matches

add me: NomadicNinja

How will that work.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RatHat posted:

The Cybergwent factions, of course.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Seedge posted:

How will that work.

add through the GoG client

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Firstborn posted:

Be warned that Nilfgaard is largely regarded as the weakest faction for a couple months running now. They are fun as hell to play though, and have a devoted fanbase though.

I'd highly recommend watching a couple videos by MegaMogwai who is seen as the Nilfgaard master of Gwent, and is pretty entertaining to watch. He even won a recent tournament and plays Nilfgaard so well that one of his opponents banned him from playing the faction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUU_fyhg3U8 This is sort of the best deck spy Nilfgaard has to offer, it's not a top tier deck by any means, but it'll give you an idea of the kind of cards you're planning on getting eventually and watching Mogwai play can be educational as he places more thought into where to put his Rot Tossers than most people put into an entire game. Impera Brigades, Emissaries and Rot Tossers form the core bronzes of this deck, everything else just builds on that.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
https://playgwent.com/en/news/6711/ranked-play-season-ending-august-27th-a-message-from-pawel-burza

They're planning to add some sort of new ladder system for everyone who ends this season above 4.2k mmr.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Finally hit Rank 20 with a Dashgaard deck, then lost several games in a row. Figured gently caress it, I ain't a top 350ish player anyway so I'm probably not making it to 21, might as well have some fun. Switched to a Fringilla gambit deck and kept playing ranked...and it turns out folks don't really expect to see that deck on the ranked ladder, I guess, or else they've been playing ranked so long that they've forgotten how to beat lovely meme decks. 100% win rate after five games and I'm already back up to 4300 MMR. I'm sure my luck will turn sooner rather than later, but man, making GM with a lovely meme deck would be hilarious...

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I stopped playing Gwent a bit after the patch after bear meta due to lack of time. I've been meaning to get back into the thick of things. What are the decks that are circulating on ladder these days? And what are the fun decks to play

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Knowlue posted:

I stopped playing Gwent a bit after the patch after bear meta due to lack of time. I've been meaning to get back into the thick of things. What are the decks that are circulating on ladder these days? And what are the fun decks to play

The Gwentlemen Meta Snapshot (http://gwentlemen.com/snapshot/) is still a reasonable overview, if a little outdated; some of the tier 2 decks like Foltest are rarely seen anymore. Dagon swarm decks are still the most consistent at the top end of the meta, and you'll see a lot of Bran as well (usually either QG or no-QG tempo decks, both with Longships; Axemen still pop up occasionally, but aren't as popular). Henselt tempo + Reaver Hunters (often with Kights-Elect or sometimes machines), Spelldorfs, ST Control, Eredin, and Consume seem to be the most popular of the remainder, and the occasional hapless NG player like me bumbling along with Dashgaard or sometimes Emhyr Mill.

Fun to play is pretty personal. I love playing NG decks, even if they aren't the easiest to win with. Some folks just love laying down the power with their solitare NR or Dagon decks, though. At the moment I'm amusing myself by trying to climb from 20 to 21 with a Fringilla meme deck. It's actually working remarkably well, considering; unlike in casual, ladder players don't seem to expect the meme and don't keep pressing R1 once they're 20+ points ahead. Even had a Mill opponent draw me my Fringilla with his Albrich, which I figured would have given the bamboozle away for sure, but instead he passed next turn (and thanks to his earlier milling, my Letho was like 175 points next round... :v: )

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I just searched for that deck and it looks like dumb fun so I'll have to give it a go.

I'm starting to feel like less of a big man now that I'm a bit higher in rank (19) and most of my opponents are packing netdecks just like mine, but I'm still doing well with Dashgaard. SK QG feels like the hardest matchup but luckily it doesn't seem that popular. I'm seeing mostly NR (several different flavors), consume, and a few dwarf decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
I feel so dirty. After playing nothing but fun, cheesy scoia'tel and nilfgaard decks on ranked, I finally caved. I started running pure discard skellige without queensguards and am on a 10+ match winning streak and just hit 4k after hitting a wall at 3.8k for the last few weeks.

Also started saving all my ore last week, I'm up to 800 now. I'm gonna have soooo many packs to open after the patch.