Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, just had a solo game where I placed 6th, and when I killed #9 I was elated because I thought, "finally, I will get some optics better than a holo!" Only optics the dude had was a drat holo, and then I mistimed my boost and died a foot from the second to last circle.

Is there a PUBG emote in the vein of :darksouls: or :xcom: yet? There probably should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

fknlo posted:

This is the thing that is supposed to be fixed by the power setting change. I did that and it went away for two days and was back tonight.

Good luck with that (genuinely). Troubleshooting intermittent PC issues is incredibly frustrating, especially when you think you've got it fixed and it comes back a few days later. It's what drove me to pretty much exclusively console gaming for the last few years. Until PUBG brought me back..

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I gave 1pp a try tonight with a squad of encouraging goons and we ended up scoring a dinner on our first run. Couldn't' recreate that afterwards, but I am definitely warming to the idea. Movement feels faster which is kind of exciting.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Tgent posted:

Has anyone else had an issue where bits of level geometry float in the sky? Saw it for the first time last night, bunch of doors and guard rails floating above military island. Something wrong with my computer? Or just battlegrounds being buggy?

I've seen it. Had an entire village of houses floating out in the water between the two land masses.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Chard posted:

I gave 1pp a try tonight with a squad of encouraging goons and we ended up scoring a dinner on our first run. Couldn't' recreate that afterwards, but I am definitely warming to the idea. Movement feels faster which is kind of exciting.

I like it a lot in squads and duos but solo seems like a total crapshoot. In 3pp I have gotten really good about knowing what I did wrong, but in 1pp you can be as careful and smart as possible and still die to some rear end in a top hat who got circle lucky and sat in a room for forty minutes. Sure, it can happen in 3pp also, but you generally have more tools to avoid that sort of thing.

Or I just have really lovely luck. :shrug:

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

got my first solo win in FPP. guessing where the final circle will be seems like an insanely strong strategy

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Antares posted:

got my first solo win in FPP. guessing where the final circle will be seems like an insanely strong strategy

You know what's even better? Already being in the final circle 2+ collapses out

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Winning two games in a row with two kills contributed is awesome, thanks for the carry discord goons

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

punch drunk posted:

What monitor is this? Do ultrawides actually give you a larger FOV?

using a LG 34UC88, zero light bleed and IPS

only 60 hz though, 75 hz with freesync

the extra horizontal info is very nice :)

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

You know what's even better? Already being in the final circle 2+ collapses out

yeah i wasn't far off, basically just proned in a 100m circle of grass and shot people as they walked into me. i'm sure someone has won with like 0 kills but winning with 4 feels plenty cheap.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

DarkDobe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TPiO_qr7Fo

Never mind that on mic I was promising to murder her with my bare hands.

I know its a page back but that sure was a loving obnoxious way of presenting that video and I don't know why you thought that'd be entertaining.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DarkDobe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TPiO_qr7Fo

Never mind that on mic I was promising to murder her with my bare hands.

DrNutt posted:

lmao wow. Glad I paid 30 bucks for a free to play game.

e: I've already got my 30 dollars of enjoyment out of it for sure, I just think that's a ridiculously scummy business model is all.

e2: I went ahead and made some art, ya'll. https://youtu.be/jznZDDH5MUk

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

for shame.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

DrNutt posted:

lmao wow. Glad I paid 30 bucks for a free to play game.

e: I've already got my 30 dollars of enjoyment out of it for sure, I just think that's a ridiculously scummy business model is all.

e2: I went ahead and made some art, ya'll. https://youtu.be/jznZDDH5MUk

it's just cosmetics, how is it scummy? It's a way for people to have fun playing dress up and a way for the company to make a ton of extra money, but for anyone who doesn't want to pay that... they're at no disadvantage at all.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

FPP mode is way way way better for final circles. I can actually strafe around out in the open without worrying about every dickhead on the map third personing me. Final 2 is way more exciting because of this.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Jerkface posted:

FPP mode is way way way better for final circles. I can actually strafe around out in the open without worrying about every dickhead on the map third personing me. Final 2 is way more exciting because of this.

I definitely excel in the latter stages of first person. I've won twice solo with 7 and 5 kills, it's so much loving fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Taffer posted:

it's just cosmetics, how is it scummy? It's a way for people to have fun playing dress up and a way for the company to make a ton of extra money, but for anyone who doesn't want to pay that... they're at no disadvantage at all.

cuz they said none until the game was done and i should be able to customize my character with all options for free. even dumpster mmo apb let me do that. it was half the fun of the game.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The game has sold a bajillion copies and gatcha boxes are lovely systems that teach young people to gamble. They could easily just have released the outfits for $2.50 and made money all the same instead of implementing a youth poisoning system favored by lovely mobile games that creates a disgusting after market for virtual doodads.

Definitely sour on the pay loot boxes for a game that costs money already so its not like a f2p argument exists. They picked the #1 scummy way to do it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jerkface posted:

The game has sold a bajillion copies and gatcha boxes are lovely systems that teach young people to gamble. They could easily just have released the outfits for $2.50 and made money all the same instead of implementing a youth poisoning system favored by lovely mobile games that creates a disgusting after market for virtual doodads.

Definitely sour on the pay loot boxes for a game that costs money already so its not like a f2p argument exists. They picked the #1 scummy way to do it.

brendan gotta go bahamas

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jerkface posted:

Because they want to continue to work on the game for 5-10 years, develop it into an eSport and continue to provide free servers, maybe even with custom games for everyone.

Yes they sold a lot of copies, at an relatively low price point, but if they don't have a way to continually monetize the game, it would not be profitable to continue to develop the game and provide the services they do. Now I would agree that the Blizzard model of microtransactions is much more user friendly (no keys) but we will have to see how theirs works out, especially how the crate price to key price turns out in the finished game.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Jerkface posted:

You think it's bad now, just wait until weapon skins inevitably come out

I can't wait to get a kar98k dragonlore, possibly unironically

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

Because they want to continue to work on the game for 5-10 years, develop it into an eSport and continue to provide free servers, maybe even with custom games for everyone.

they probably made enough money just selling the game to cover that much development.

30 bucks isn't low, that should be the highest for a multiplayer only game.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Groovelord Neato posted:

they probably made enough money just selling the game to cover that much development.

30 bucks isn't low, that should be the highest for a multiplayer only game.

It's not about covering the costs - it's about the fact that they need economic incentives to do so, otherwise it would be very hard to justify the decision to their investors.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Based on Steamspy I'd put the overall earnings for the game at about $197 million based on sales, not factoring in the untold money from their marketplace cut, or any bonus for selling in areas that overprice or cuts from places that underprice or have their own cuts. Only gonna factor for the 30% cut that Valve takes. Comes out to about $138 million give or take.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Running servers for a ridiculous amount of players isn't cheap, though

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shima Honnou posted:

Based on Steamspy I'd put the overall earnings for the game at about $197 million based on sales, not factoring in the untold money from their marketplace cut, or any bonus for selling in areas that overprice or cuts from places that underprice or have their own cuts. Only gonna factor for the 30% cut that Valve takes. Comes out to about $138 million give or take.

Bear in mind GTA V's marketing budget was like 137m

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shima Honnou posted:

Epic also takes 5% of gross revenue for UE4 license. It does, however, have to be expensive to run the servers for a game with 5 million active players. As well as pay a team of community managers to enforce ridiculously bad rules and keep streamers happy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Does Blue Hole actually pay their community managers? I thought most devs get theirs for free by just picking fanatics from their forums or whatever. Sorta like how SA does mods except the community managers actually want to do it for some reason.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

They really need to make the boxes dropped by dead players more visible. In 3rd person it's laughably easy to spot them but in 1st person even some knee high grass can make them impossible to find.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Shima Honnou posted:

Does Blue Hole actually pay their community managers? I thought most devs get theirs for free by just picking fanatics from their forums or whatever. Sorta like how SA does mods except the community managers actually want to do it for some reason.
Community manager is typically a paid position (at least if you want a remotely decent one), though one that may be recruited from the community in some cases. The bulk of forum moderation tends to be volunteer, but you still need people on your payroll to keep things running more or less smoothly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

underage at the vape shop posted:

Bear in mind GTA V's marketing budget was like 137m

Seriously doubt PUBG had a marketing budget over 1 million, the game spread through word of mouth and streams. Just a guess though really, I have no data to back this up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Seriously doubt PUBG had a marketing budget over 1 million, the game spread through word of mouth and streams. Just a guess though really, I have no data to back this up.

Me neither, but I had absolutely no idea what it was at all until people I game with starting asking if I had it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

their estimated income was gta's marketing budget alone is what i mean. they have more peak players than gta v now too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm happy they are doing locked crates rather than selling it for $60. Battlefields and call of duty's barely have single player and will sell expansions plus crate style unlocks you can buy.

You can also sell your crates for money for keys if you want, do you can still get all the same stuff for free, just slower.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
who the hell is buying skirts for 150$

also please keep doing so

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Motherfucker posted:

I know its a page back but that sure was a loving obnoxious way of presenting that video and I don't know why you thought that'd be entertaining.

Nobody can force you to watch things on the internet, friend. Just click the thumbs down if it upsets you so much.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

You realize you can go in that big green building at Mylta Power right? It's much faster looting than the warehouses and sheds.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Dyz posted:

You realize you can go in that big green building at Mylta Power right? It's much faster looting than the warehouses and sheds.

Regarding the giant green building: Is there a best place to look?
I usually go to the substation as it is far easier to see/kill anyone approaching, and I have a quick route down to clear it (usually landing on the open roof).

When I do go to the big rear end power plant, I'm not certain where the best places to check are? There's what - the turbine floor, a floor above that, a second level and the roof?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Is there anyplace that gives details about the effects of the boost bar?

Like from 60 to 90 boost how much HP will I heal in a tick, how often does it tick, how fast does the bar decay, how much faster will I move?

I haven't been able to find any exact numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dyz posted:

I have improved a ton since I made that video. It wasn't meant to be anything more than a throwaway joke based on the nature of the game and my poor choices.

• Locked thread