Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

legacy trip report: casting cruel bargain out of your death's shadow deck is good, clean family fun

Ha that's great. What's your list look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have iok instead of thoughtseize in mine. I also need to buy a fourth shores.
I'm not sure how I feel about sanity. It's nice to combo out with sometimes but the other times I'd rather just use breaking.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I have iok instead of thoughtseize in mine. I also need to buy a fourth shores.
I'm not sure how I feel about sanity. It's nice to combo out with sometimes but the other times I'd rather just use breaking.

I only managed to resolve it in one game last week but that game was over very quickly once it hit play (and I curved into it no less). I'm a little higher on it right now while there are fewer Abrupt Decays and Maelstrom Pulses running around, because without those there's very little enchantment hate being played in the format. Remember that it doesn't need to see the cards being milled in order to count them, so if you have a Crab in play, then play a fetch and crack it for your third mana source to cast Sanity, then Sanity will still count the cards from the Crab triggers.

You are right about one thing though, the deck feels weirdly light on mill spells with Fraying Sanity in there. I almost cut the Snapcasters for Mind Funerals!

E: Also with little to no enchantment removal in the format I feel that now is the right time to bust out my Enchantress list and lose my rear end.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 10, 2017

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Maybe I'll change jace to mind funeral. I got to flashback archive trap once so it will never happen again.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ha that's great. What's your list look like?

it's mostly this list with a couple of changes. 3 death's shadow and 3 gurmag's, since gurmag's are awesome and comically easy to turn on. one fewer thoughtseize main for a fatal push. basic island for the breeding pool with some bounce in the side.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
1. When I'm bored late night and trying to fall asleep I'll sometime peruse sites for weird decklists, and lol at this Sneak & Show Lite deck in Modern.

2. Overheard someone at my last FNM talking about people calling for a ban on Fatal Push in Legacy, because "it hits everything". I don't know if that's entirely true but has anyone else heard people sharing this sentiment, and do you agree/disagree?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 12, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fatal Push hits most things, but not quite everything, and also lol at the idea of banning a 1 mana removal spell when bolt and plow have existed literally forever

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the person at your store is a big dingus. first it does not hit everything, namely: anything reanimator puts into play, TNN, Gurmag Angler, Marit Lage, the SnS monsters, Jace the Mind Sculptor. second, having many ways to kill a Deathrite Shaman, particularly before your opponent gets to untap with it, is Cool and Good because it is a hosed up magic card. third, there aren't any archetypes that it's keeping down with the exception of maaaaaybe zoo, a deck that has not been viable in half a decade

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

void snare hits everything. maro please emergency ban it, for the health of the format

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I thought it was a stretch but I don't play Legacy so I wanted to ask people who do!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Counterpoint: Black is pretty much already the best color at this point in terms of everything that isn't cantrips or counters. The only thing it was bad at was removal. Everything cost 2 mana or was extremely narrow at 1 mana. Did it really need a 1 mana removal spell that hits essentially every creature in the format?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It was kind of weird for the creature-killing color to be third-best at killing creatures. Black's power level has slowly been going up and up though, in modern even more than legacy. I don't know what wizards could do about it short of some really hamfisted bans or creeping up the other colors a bunch.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Counterpoint: Black is pretty much already the best color at this point in terms of everything that isn't cantrips or counters. The only thing it was bad at was removal. Everything cost 2 mana or was extremely narrow at 1 mana. Did it really need a 1 mana removal spell that hits essentially every creature in the format?

Wizards has said in the past that they don't playtest the impact of new sets on Eternal formats so I'll bet it was as much a surprise to them as it was for us.

Wasn't there a newly-printed card a couple years ago that was tearing it up in Modern and everyone was up in arms and Wizards basically said "lol we never playtested it outside of Standard, why would we?"

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Wizards has said in the past that they don't playtest the impact of new sets on Eternal formats so I'll bet it was as much a surprise to them as it was for us.

Wasn't there a newly-printed card a couple years ago that was tearing it up in Modern and everyone was up in arms and Wizards basically said "lol we never playtested it outside of Standard, why would we?"

Wasn't that Treasure Cruise / DTT?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

Yes. Fatal push is good.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Tasigur performed pretty well out of the gate too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Are you actually arguing that black is better than blue in Legacy? Even if that's the case, how does that make Fatal Push banworthy?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

Are you actually arguing that black is better than blue in Legacy? Even if that's the case, how does that make Fatal Push banworthy?

I mean, is it not? It's close if not. Either way it's a mistake to not be playing both colors.

Of course it's not banworthy, but wtf did the color with 1 mana 5/5s, Thoughtseize, Hymn, Cabal Therapy, Dark Ritual, Deathrite, Abrupt Decay, and both 3 mana Lilis need a 1 mana spell that kills almost everything with no downside?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I mean, is it not? It's close if not. Either way it's a mistake to not be playing both colors.

I can think of decent decks that are blue but not black, but not the other way around. I don't play Leg much, though

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Elyv posted:

I can think of decent decks that are blue but not black, but not the other way around. I don't play Leg much, though
RB Reanimator, Loam variants, and Elves off the top of my head. Maverick is extremely meta-dependent. Dead Guy Ale if you're willing to expand your definition of decent.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

All I'm coming up with is assorted Show and Tell decks. Non-Deathrite delver decks are super dead. X-blade decks all seem to splash black now. Elves technically has black and no blue but I'm not counting that. Just Loam, reanimator and that terrible turbo-Depths deck come to mind.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mef989 posted:

Wasn't that Treasure Cruise / DTT?

Oh yeah, duh. Those were banned so quickly that I honestly forgot about them free DTT.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

All I'm coming up with is assorted Show and Tell decks. Non-Deathrite delver decks are super dead. X-blade decks all seem to splash black now. Elves technically has black and no blue but I'm not counting that. Just Loam, reanimator and that terrible turbo-Depths deck come to mind.
For blue but not black you pretty much have S&T (other than their uncastable Griselbrands), RUG/UR Delver, and the shambling corpse of Miracles.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

RUG, and the shambling corpse of Miracles.

I think halfway playable was implied.

Derp, don't know how I missed that one.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Miracles is still good

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Aston posted:

Miracles is still good

it's bad, buried under millions of Stoneforge Mystics as God and Richard Garfield intended

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Voyager I posted:

I've seen it be used to some cute effect in company shells, and it's definitely cool, though I think it remains to be seen if it's really consistently good. Being able to Ghost Quarter or Horizon Canopy every turn is potentially very powerful in fair matchups and Azusa can make it downright broken, but it means you're diluting the shell with more three mana cards that do very little by themselves and the Ghost Quarter grind just isn't fast enough against unfair decks unless you get the literal perfect draw.

FWIW I think I like the singleton Excavator in a Knight of the Reliquary deck more than I like going deep enough to run Azusa.

I think the Azusa is a bit much but it feels just good enough that it might be correct. Even something weak like Turn 1 bird, Turn 2 Azusa + 2 more lands is reasonably powerful and if you can get it out with Tireless Tracker or Courser of Kruphix or KotR then it's going to make up for the card you cast. I don't fully like any of the decks I've seen but the basic plan of aggressive creatures, high synergy and a powerful finisher with KotR makes it look pretty good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Aston posted:

Miracles is still good

No. Miracles is dead. I am sad I can't play it anymore.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No. Miracles is dead. I am sad I can't play it anymore.

It's extremely dead.

It's ok though, you can play against Deathrite and True-Name forever.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Without the crutch of Countertop holding it back, Miracles has finally achieved its true form.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Idk portent miracles is a very powerful deck w a lot of good matchup

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin
just started getting back into mtg. played a lot around revised and stopped around 97. my understanding of the game is very old. here's a deck. is this just garbage or could i still have fun with it?

4 Royal Assassin
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Fork
4 Reverberate
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Go for the Throat
4 Dash Hopes
4 Dark Ritual
2 Diabolic Tutor
4 Icy Manipulator
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
10 Swamp
10 Mountain

seems good to me, but nobody seems to play with that old icy/royal combo. also if there are any good resources for someone like my trying to play catch-up, they would be appreciated. i know nothing of meta game or any actual competitive strats. please be polite.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Halo posted:

just started getting back into mtg. played a lot around revised and stopped around 97. my understanding of the game is very old. here's a deck. is this just garbage or could i still have fun with it?

4 Royal Assassin
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Fork
4 Reverberate
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Go for the Throat
4 Dash Hopes
4 Dark Ritual
2 Diabolic Tutor
4 Icy Manipulator
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
10 Swamp
10 Mountain

seems good to me, but nobody seems to play with that old icy/royal combo. also if there are any good resources for someone like my trying to play catch-up, they would be appreciated. i know nothing of meta game or any actual competitive strats. please be polite.

You could probably have fun playing it against your pals at home, but if you took it to a competitive event at a local game store or something you would have a lot less fun, to say these least.

Are you familiar with the different formats (Standard, Modern, Legacy, kitchen table etc.)? Do you know which one you'd like to play?

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

C-Euro posted:

You could probably have fun playing it against your pals at home, but if you took it to a competitive event at a local game store or something you would have a lot less fun, to say these least.

Are you familiar with the different formats (Standard, Modern, Legacy, kitchen table etc.)? Do you know which one you'd like to play?

yeah I know about the formats and I'm into Legacy but I guess you have to be rich to be good at it. i'll probably end up in modern but I have a bunch of Legacy cards too so i'm not sure. there's a lot of data out there now and it's hard to sift through it all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Halo posted:

yeah I know about the formats and I'm into Legacy but I guess you have to be rich to be good at it. i'll probably end up in modern but I have a bunch of Legacy cards too so i'm not sure. there's a lot of data out there now and it's hard to sift through it all.

What sort of cards from "Revised to '97" do you have? Some cards from that era are stupidly expensive and could help bankroll yourself into a proper deck or two.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

C-Euro posted:

What sort of cards from "Revised to '97" do you have? Some cards from that era are stupidly expensive and could help bankroll yourself into a proper deck or two.

my most valuable card is a beta icy manipulator but i'm probably not selling that one since i've had it forever, and is partially why i wanted to build a deck around it but it seems like it's not so valuable anymore in terms of game play. i don't have anything cool like dual lands.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Halo posted:

my most valuable card is a beta icy manipulator but i'm probably not selling that one since i've had it forever, and is partially why i wanted to build a deck around it but it seems like it's not so valuable anymore in terms of game play. i don't have anything cool like dual lands.

It's not really, but if you enjoy preventing your opponents from playing Magic (no kinkshaming here) then there are prison or Pox decks out there in Modern and Legacy for doing exactly that.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

It's not really, but if you enjoy preventing your opponents from playing Magic (no kinkshaming here) then there are prison or Pox decks out there in Modern and Legacy for doing exactly that.

I really enjoy that. Its what miracles excelled at doing before the banning. One of my favorite sayings about magic is "Fun in magic is zero-sum. Therefore the objective of any game of magic is to take as much of that fun for yourself and throw the rest away, leaving your opponent with nothing."

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

You might have more fun looking into Old School/94 as a format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Aston posted:

You might have more fun looking into Old School/94 as a format.

Icy Manipulator is actually good in that format.