Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The teammate combos were the best part of Arkham Knight for me and I wish they had more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I liked the Batmobile when I first got it, but by the end I was shuddering at the sight of the thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Just Offscreen posted:

gently caress

Why does everyone hate this port? I've never played it but nothing in that video looked particularly bad to me? Was it just that there was already a Cave Story port for 3DS with the classic graphics, or what?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

food court bailiff posted:

Why does everyone hate this port? I've never played it but nothing in that video looked particularly bad to me? Was it just that there was already a Cave Story port for 3DS with the classic graphics, or what?

It looks 1000% worse than the original, which is also available in 3D on the 3DS.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

It's going from good spritework to bad 3d modeling, and the visual design of the levels is just... worse for some reason. Like, what's up with egg corridor? Compare this (video quality is really lovely but it's the only one I could find) to this

For on-topic content, I kinda like how Cave story has so much easily missable weird stuff, like a bunch of hidden weapons and the REALLY contrived stuff you need to do for the true ending. Sure, you basically NEED a guide for most of it, but it gives you a good reason to do a second playthrough. Stuff like the machine gun are a little bit too much of a beginner's trap, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zinkraptor posted:

It's going from good spritework to bad 3d modeling, and the visual design of the levels is just... worse for some reason. Like, what's up with egg corridor? Compare this (video quality is really lovely but it's the only one I could find) to this

I mean the 3d one is strangely dark and moody for some reason, but the original looks like utterly forgettable indie bit art.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Zinkraptor posted:

Stuff like the machine gun are a little bit too much of a beginner's trap, though.

Isn't the machine gun the one with the ridiculous recoil at Level 2 that speedrunners use to fly through the game?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Double Punctuation posted:

Isn't the machine gun the one with the ridiculous recoil at Level 2 that speedrunners use to fly through the game?

Yeah, it's this weird thing of the machine gun not being great in your first play, making the Polar Star a better choice. Then turning I to the best once you get really good at the game because you don't have to worry about damage.

It's like the level 2 sword being way better at taking out bosses than the level 3 since the damage per second is super bazonkers.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Zinkraptor posted:

Ding ding ding ding.

Morpheus posted:

I mean the 3d one is strangely dark and moody for some reason, but the original looks like utterly forgettable indie bit art.

The original Cave Story came out in 2004, before indie really became a thing or a set "style."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Morpheus posted:

Cave Story's art is only forgettable now because the market is oversaturated with indie pixel art games. Cave Story preceded most of those games by the better part of a decade.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
When Big Smoke tosses the bat away I'd swear he busts CJ's family photo, there's a little tinkle of glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7CuJKjIWYA

67 and still making love has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Aug 9, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Chrono Trigger came up in the negative thread earlier and it reminded me of one of my favorite things (in a game full of favorite things): one of Aela's combo techs with Crono is basically the Fastball Special. I think it's called Falcon Throw. Anyway, since Aela is a cavewoman, she doesn't bother with fancy poo poo, she just picks up Crono and hurls him at the enemy.

And the best part is that while Crono is in mid flight she stands there and does a little jig. :3:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RyokoTK posted:

Chrono Trigger came up in the negative thread earlier and it reminded me of one of my favorite things (in a game full of favorite things): one of Aela's combo techs with Crono is basically the Fastball Special. I think it's called Falcon Throw. Anyway, since Aela is a cavewoman, she doesn't bother with fancy poo poo, she just picks up Crono and hurls him at the enemy.

And the best part is that while Crono is in mid flight she stands there and does a little jig. :3:

Suikoden 4 & 5 have a combo attack where one character grabs the other by their ankles and just start swinging them around in circles before throwing them at the enemies. Considering the combo attacks got really lazy in 4 and 5, it's an unexpected bit of charm that 4 was severely lacking.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

RyokoTK posted:

Who the gently caress is Aela?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ayla, sorry. Pretty sure you knew what I meant though.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
More Arkham Knight: If you are careful, you can make Batman peep between his thumb and finger when he's talking to people on his Wrist Phone.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
In Path of Exile's later stages, there are humanoid enemies who scream at you (with a huge toothy mouth) as their primary attack.

Sometimes- like 10% of the time- they wipe their mouths on the back of their forearms afterward. It's such a tiny little action and it doesn't matter, but it's a lot of effort to put in considering they tend to exist for approximately 0.8 seconds before being slaughtered by accident in one of the player's screen-clearing main attacks.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Splatoon 2 has three types of play - Multiplayer, Single Player and a co-op Horde mode. All three have unique assets which don't appear in the others. Nintendo bothered to make tonnes of assets for both Single + Co-Op that are not shared at all. It's entire levels, enemies (with unique sound an animation), textures and items. Each mode probably has more total assets than a lot of other games.

It's such a huge effort that they really didn't have to do, but I appreciate it a lot.

well why not has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Aug 10, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

samu3lk posted:

More Arkham Knight: If you are careful, you can make Batman peep between his thumb and finger when he's talking to people on his Wrist Phone.

I'M CRUSHING YOUR HEEEEEEAD!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The android designs in Cradle are awesome. They're really crude mannequin-like things, but instead of eyes they have little screens showing actual video of eyes. Like this guy-

The face is completely frozen, like a mask, he emotes solely through the eyes. It's a really effective piece of design. It works so well at leapfrogging the uncanny valley that I hope the idea gets re-used in a better game. Cradle has fantastic environment design but not much else.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I enjoy shmups in theory but in practice the way that most of them are built around one-hit kills and limited lives and memorizing patterns ruins a lot of them for me, so I really enjoy Sine Mora's system: You don't have any health or lives and instead you just have a timer that is constantly counting down and taking damage chips away at your time. It's quite forgiving while at the same time letting people who care about score attacks and no-hit runs still do their thing, and it adds a strategic layer since sometimes it's actually better in the long run to just take a hit and keep playing aggressively instead of spending more time dodging and getting back into position.

Inferior posted:

The android designs in Cradle are awesome. They're really crude mannequin-like things, but instead of eyes they have little screens showing actual video of eyes. Like this guy-

The face is completely frozen, like a mask, he emotes solely through the eyes. It's a really effective piece of design. It works so well at leapfrogging the uncanny valley that I hope the idea gets re-used in a better game. Cradle has fantastic environment design but not much else.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I love how sometimes the magic items in Diablo are just a gently caress you to the player. Oh you found a good sword and its magic? Lets run to Cain and pay a hundred gold coins to get it identified! Whoops, -10 Dexterity - 5 Strength, your sword now has a value of 1 gold coin, get back to grinding!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The first Diablo is very much a roguelike with a save game feature. It's a genre well-known for its complete disregard for the player's time and feelings.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Inferior posted:

I waited so long for Cradle after the first trailer. When it came out, I played the poo poo out of it, hoping for a good game to be there somewhere. I even had the trailer saved to my Dropbox, and would watch it occasionally.

:smith:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

The first Diablo is very much a roguelike with a save game feature. It's a genre well-known for its complete disregard for the player's time and feelings.

And boy is that save game feature fun! I forgot that there were no corpse runs in the first one. You just load your savegame. Oh you didn't manually save in the last two hours? Well sucks to be you, autosave is some far off future technology!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

I got a kick out of the fact there were late-game items you couldn't buy because gold was an inventory item and you couldn't carry enough stacks to actually buy it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got a kick out of the fact there were late-game items you couldn't buy because gold was an inventory item and you couldn't carry enough stacks to actually buy it.

Holy lol. I never played Diablo long enough for that to happen.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I just started playing Witcher 3. Jesus, all the things are magical. I don't care about anything but Gwent and exploring Novigrad at the moment. A gnome (?) stopped me in the street in the middle of Witch Hunter district, asking me if I wanted magical items he's pilfered off of people burned at the stake. Then the witch hunter cops came and I lied to them about what he was doing, and found him around the corner. He thought I was cool for not ratting him out.

It almost makes up for how I sacrificed an entire town to save a group of kids and caused the death of the Baron's wife. Se la vie.

What a game, now I get why it was called "GotY, every year"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

P.N.T.M. posted:

Se la vie

Walla!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

P.N.T.M. posted:

I just started playing Witcher 3. Jesus, all the things are magical. I don't care about anything but Gwent and exploring Novigrad at the moment. A gnome (?) stopped me in the street in the middle of Witch Hunter district, asking me if I wanted magical items he's pilfered off of people burned at the stake. Then the witch hunter cops came and I lied to them about what he was doing, and found him around the corner. He thought I was cool for not ratting him out.

It almost makes up for how I sacrificed an entire town to save a group of kids and caused the death of the Baron's wife. Se la vie.

What a game, now I get why it was called "GotY, every year"

The Horse Demon was a better person than they were. They got what they deserved :colbert:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Just started West of Loathing, and they got me laughing before I even started a new game:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gwent is really worth the effort to learn imo. It's not very complicated and there's a couple of very neat quests that revolve around tournaments.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Ayla, sorry. Pretty sure you knew what I meant though.

So she's named after the cavewoman in Jean M. Auel's books?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

So she's named after the cavewoman in Jean M. Auel's books?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I know that Slash/flea/etc etc were, in Japan, something like Mustard, Ketchup, Soy Sauce.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

The Horse Demon was a better person than they were. They got what they deserved :colbert:

That's also a small/huge thing about the game. There's so little importance placed on morality that you have to read into the situation to find any good/evil. And yet there's always more truth. Does anything matter? Will hunting down monsters fix any of it? Is any Gwent faction better than Northern Realms? Time will tell.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

P.N.T.M. posted:

That's also a small/huge thing about the game. There's so little importance placed on morality that you have to read into the situation to find any good/evil. And yet there's always more truth. Does anything matter? Will hunting down monsters fix any of it? Is any Gwent faction better than Northern Realms? Time will tell.

Nilfgaard is indistinguishable from the Northern Realms once you get a proper deck, but with nice leader bonus that negates the opponent's bonus.
You can finish everything Gwent before going to Kaer Morhen, with the only obstacle being that loving half-elf in the Passiflora.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Maybe. Maybe not.

I know that Slash/flea/etc etc were, in Japan, something like Mustard, Ketchup, Soy Sauce.
It's generally accepted that Ayla was named after the character in Clan of the Cave Bear, yeah. One Japanese translation featured "Ayla" right there in the title.

And yeah, Ozzie was Vinegar, Slash was Soy Sauce, and Flea was Mayonnaise (and a flamboyant gay man)--but the weird thing looking back (to this translator, anyway) is that Soy Sauce and Mayonnaise were both spelled without the final character, so it was more like Soy Sau and Mayonnai. :iiam:

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Gwent is really worth the effort to learn imo. It's not very complicated and there's a couple of very neat quests that revolve around tournaments.

Also once you learn it it's fun and you'll play it for like 4 hours collecting as many cards from around the world as you can to have even more fun playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Edit: Nevermind. This would be a massive derail.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Aug 12, 2017