Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

Nobody actually cares about or watches MST3K

My man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Escobarbarian posted:

I wish the best thing I'd ever done in my career was a 30 minute short about wrestling

To be fair it's pretty good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's pretty amazing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

PriorMarcus posted:

So Dirk Gently is basically one of the best shows in recent years - certainly with one of the strongest starts - and no one is talking about it?

Is it because it's written by genuinely great writer but internet marmite Max Landis? Because I'm fairly sure most people dislike him because they wish they were him.

i wish i were a person so notably obnoxious that someone wrote a script parodying me as a human being and my work, and that said script was so popular around hollywood that it made an annual list of the hottest scripts in hollywood

ORC COP ORC COP COP ORC ORC COP CORK OP ORP COCK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Landis' wrestling short didn't tell me anything new since WWF was my jam in the late 90s, but it's put together so goddamn well and is very entertaining.

Some of his scripts have been great and some have been bad. American Ultra was very good, Victor Frankenstein was just like... whatever man

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

My man.

I mean he's right. Explains the popularity of the kickstarter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I mean he's right. Explains the popularity of the kickstarter.
They had 48,270 backers.

For comparison, Zach Braff's loving debacle in 2013 had 46,520 backers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The MST3K revival was actually quite good and I'll be sad if it's a one and done, everyone seemed to be having a blast making it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DC Murderverse posted:

i wish i were a person so notably obnoxious that someone wrote a script parodying me as a human being and my work, and that said script was so popular around hollywood that it made an annual list of the hottest scripts in hollywood

ORC COP ORC COP COP ORC ORC COP CORK OP ORP COCK

the full trailer for orc cop movie dropped around comic con and it actually looks not terrible, to the surprise of everybody who ever heard about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

Chronicle was good, American Ultra was ok, Dirk Gently was amazing, Max Landis....is good at something?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Max Landis AND the Suicide Squad director? What could go wrong?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I really want to get some justification on the whole people wish they were Landis thing. Is it because he's a nerdy skinny white dude and that's relatable to a bunch of people here? Because in the spectrum of celebrity and writers who the gently caress wishes they were Max Landis? That's some lazy dreaming.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 12, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bring back old gbs posted:

the full trailer for orc cop movie dropped around comic con and it actually looks not terrible, to the surprise of everybody who ever heard about it.

Can you post the one that "looks not terrible" because this can't be it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chronicle was good, American Ultra was ok, Dirk Gently was amazing, Max Landis....is good at something?

Dialogue, I think, mostly. Even Victor Frankenstein had some clever lines.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

I like how schlocky it looks.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

X-O posted:

Yeah this doesn't look "not terrible" at all, it looks good

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Sinner is pretty great and is doing a solid job of passing the time until Mr Robot is back

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Well you'll have to settle for one for two.

Hey you have no idea what kind of haircut I have.

Aphrodite posted:

Those jokes don't work because those are probably both genuine improvements.

Extremely rude.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I really want to get some justification on the whole people wish they were Landis thing. Is it because he's a nerdy skinny white dude and that's relatable to a bunch of people here? Because in the spectrum of celebrity and writers who the gently caress wishes they were Max Landis? That's some lazy dreaming.

on the other hand, he can get literally any dumbass idea for a movie funded simply based on his name, and get paid a poo poo-ton of money himself in the process.

if I wake up one day and go "there should be a buddy cop movie with orcs," even if I write that script I have basically jack poo poo I can do with it. if Max Landis has that shower thought, he just types it out in Final Draft and calls some people and suddenly he's a couple mil richer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
this is in spite of him being a giant obnoxious rear end in a top hat and his father being best known as Vic Morrow's killer nowadays.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL that Netflix spent $90 million on a movie that won't get them any new subscribers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
that said, Landis isn't actually a bad writer (Chronicle and American Ultra both loving owned) and David Ayer has a surprisingly solid batting average as a director (Suicide Squad was rear end, but End of Watch and Fury are both great and Sabotage is alright)

Bright will probably actually be really good

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After Harry potter throwing them around willy nilly I like the idea of a magic wand being a singular fuckoff dangerous object. "Nuclear weapon that grants wishes" is a legit cool description. gently caress tha haterzzz

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

LOL that Netflix spent $90 million on a movie that won't get them any new subscribers.
At least they've got Scorcese's new mob movie with De Niro and Harvey Keitel to outweigh Orc Cop.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Irishman is going to have extensive use of the CGI aging/de-aging stuff. I know it's gotten better since X-Men 3 but I don't think I'll get over it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that said, Landis isn't actually a bad writer (Chronicle and American Ultra both loving owned) and David Ayer has a surprisingly solid batting average as a director (Suicide Squad was rear end, but End of Watch and Fury are both great and Sabotage is alright)

And Suicide Squad wasn't entirely Ayer's fault, either. It was gutted and the final edit was done by a company that edits movie trailers.

Not that Ayer's original version would have been some masterpiece, but it certainly would have been better.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

esperterra posted:

And Suicide Squad wasn't entirely Ayer's fault, either. It was gutted and the final edit was done by a company that edits movie trailers.

Not that Ayer's original version would have been some masterpiece, but it certainly would have been better.

I've been happy to assume that the movie got reshot and re-edited after the internet went nuts for the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer but this is the first I've heard that take. You got a source?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DivisionPost posted:

I've been happy to assume that the movie got reshot and re-edited after the internet went nuts for the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer but this is the first I've heard that take. You got a source?

Yeah, there were a lot of reshoots, as well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

That's the Academy AwardTM-winning movie Suicide Squad.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's the Academy AwardTM-winning movie Suicide Squad.

What movie deserved the Makeup and Hairstyling award more?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Guy Mann posted:

What movie deserved the Makeup and Hairstyling award more?

Star Trek Beyond.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Killer Croc makeup was really good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

I'd like to see some corroboration for "the ratings sucked".

PriorMarcus likes to make sweeping statements without corroboration (as evidenced in the Doctor Who threads). Pay little attention to him. Netflix's viewership is one of the most closely guarded secrets in the world, next to the United States' nuclear launch codes, the formula for Coca-Cola and the location of Walt Disney's frozen corpse.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Timby posted:

the formula for Coca-Cola and the location of Walt Disney's frozen corpse.

I think you just solved two mysteries right there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

PriorMarcus likes to make sweeping statements without corroboration (as evidenced in the Doctor Who threads). Pay little attention to him. Netflix's viewership is one of the most closely guarded secrets in the world, next to the United States' nuclear launch codes, the formula for Coca-Cola and the location of Walt Disney's frozen corpse.

Some other guy the other day was like "too bad about that copy pasta show that sucked and got cancelled" and it turns out it has already been renewed for three more seasons.

Folks we gotta fight against fake news.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

After Harry potter throwing them around willy nilly I like the idea of a magic wand being a singular fuckoff dangerous object. "Nuclear weapon that grants wishes" is a legit cool description. gently caress tha haterzzz

Yeah, that movie actually looks like it'll be legit fun to watch. I never would have expected it to be straight to Netflix from the trailer.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

I really wish I could find a video of the Birthday Boys sketch about the two guys who know the recipe for Coca Cola right now.

zoux posted:

Some other guy the other day was like "too bad about that copy pasta show that sucked and got cancelled" and it turns out it has already been renewed for three more seasons.

Folks we gotta fight against fake news.

I said that nobody watched Channel Zero compared to Westworld after somebody posted a comic criticizing Westworld made by the guy who wrote the story the first season was based on, its finale was less than half a million compared to Westworld having over 2 million viewers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

I really wish I could find a video of the Birthday Boys sketch about the two guys who know the recipe for Coca Cola right now.

https://youtu.be/UPF4zaGfisI

The Birthday Boys was so great you guys

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah you can't really lay "Suicide Squad was bad" at Ayers' feet, he did what he could. His other movies are fantastic. Bright might be okay!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

yeah you can't really lay "Suicide Squad was bad" at Ayers' feet, he did what he could. His other movies are fantastic. Bright might be okay!

He also had a movie called Street Kings with Keanu Reeves and a bunch of other names (Forest Whittaker, Hugh Laurie, Chris Evans) which was some crazy Cannon-esque nonsense that sits alongside Sabotage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

magiccarpet posted:

The Sinner is pretty great and is doing a solid job of passing the time until Mr Robot is back

Had me at Jessica Biel. It's loving sick.

I must have been living under a rock, i didn't know she's married to Justin Timberlake.

• Locked thread