Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.

It's fine. They're going to flip the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Glass is actually IR opaque. However, visible light will still get through, and heat the objects inside.

What are lenses for night vision goggles made of?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Glass, since those work off maximizing ambient light.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Glass, since those work off maximizing ambient light.

Light amplification googles generally collect near IR as well as visible light.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Light amplification googles generally collect near IR as well as visible light.

the non-smartass answer is "probably ruby or some poo poo"

also the "IR doesn't pass through" thing is not reliably true when you're talking about optical glass. i mean most of my lenses even have an IR focus mark in case you're shooting IR.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Fun fact: glass is also largely UV-opaque, so you shouldn't sunburn if there's glass in the way!
Glass only blocks most of UVB. It doesn't block UVA, which is what tanning beds use, so it'll still gently caress you up.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

If the cheapest house shape to build is a square, I hate to think how much this one cost:

Looks weirdly normal on the inside though.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 12, 2017

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

It's fine. They're going to flip the house.

I appreciate you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

If the cheapest house shape to build is a square, I hate to think how much this one cost:

Looks like it's designed to trap ghosts or something.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fun fact: glass is also largely UV-opaque, so you shouldn't sunburn if there's glass in the way!

I thought this was true too but apparently not entirely, only blocks the bit that makes you burn, not the bit that gives you cancer. Makes sense otherwise houseplants would die.

Glass is actually IR opaque. However, visible light will still get through, and heat the objects inside.

This I did not know. I've done some digging and based on this https://edavies.me.uk/2014/08/ir-myth/ it looks like maybe proper IR what where most of the heat is doesn't get through glass but "near IR" which is what most remote controls use gets through better. So the stuff heating the room is part visible part invisible but what I thought of as IR is indeed blocked.

Thanks for updating my knowledge, everyone.

SoundMonkey posted:

also the "IR doesn't pass through" thing is not reliably true when you're talking about optical glass. i mean most of my lenses even have an IR focus mark in case you're shooting IR.

I'm glad I bought optical glass for my projector window then, or my remote wouldn't work so well. Though it seems like there's a big difference between the IR you're talking about for regular cameras vs FLIR cameras. But I'm out of my depth on that, my knowledge is from the geohydrology side rather than the physics.

Youth Decay posted:

If the cheapest house shape to build is a square, I hate to think how much this one cost

What's the chance it was designed that way rather than added on by some crazy carpenter?

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 12, 2017

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Youth Decay posted:

I appreciate how well the mailbox matches the house. I think it looks so normal because they've done well finishing and decorating it. There are a bunch of weird changes in the floors and ceilings but that's never the first thing I notice.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm glad I bought optical glass for my projector window then, or my remote wouldn't work so well. Though it seems like there's a big difference between the IR you're talking about for regular cameras vs FLIR cameras. But I'm out of my depth on that, my knowledge is from the geohydrology side rather than the physics.

yeah my projector window at work cost way the gently caress too much money, so we probably both accidentally discovered this

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

gently caress all y'all I love this house

I want a house that is built to look like gollum's cave complete with basement grotto

Same except basement guano

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

yeah my projector window at work cost way the gently caress too much money, so we probably both accidentally discovered this

I haven't fitted it yet so there's still plenty of time to find out I done hosed up.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

the non-smartass answer is "probably ruby or some poo poo"

It's not even reliably true for window panes. In the 70's they started treating the glass to reduce the amount of UV and IR light that would pass through them. This improves the insulating qualities of the window but messes with things using IR. A common example is people buying security cameras with built in IR illuminators. They put the camera inside and aim it at the window. Only to look at the video and learn they have a big massive bright spot from the treatments in the glass.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Youth Decay posted:

This looks like when you take your CAD model and bend it round a bit.

Which I guess is like a digital Gehry or something.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Serious answer the night scopes in most military equipment have germanium crystal lenses. I was a 94A and had to work on the Bradley's night sight.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Youth Decay posted:

Insurance adjuster :catstare: triggered by the failing skylight infrastructure. The framing or wrap over the framing between panels is screwed-up. Wonder how many times it's leaked over the past few years months.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Feynman posted:

They gave out dark glasses that you could watch it with. Dark glasses! Twenty miles away, you couldn’t see a drat thing through dark glasses. So I figured the only thing that could really hurt your eyes (bright light can never hurt your eyes) is ultraviolet light. I got behind a truck windshield, because the ultraviolet can’t go through glass, so that would be safe, and so I could see the drat thing.
Time comes, and this tremendous flash out there is so bright that I duck, and I see this purple splotch on the floor of the truck. I said, “That’s not it. That’s an after-image.” So I look back up, and I see this white light changing into yellow and then into orange. Clouds form and disappear again – from the compression and expansion of the shock wave.
Finally, a big ball of orange, the center that was so bright, becomes a ball of orange that starts to rise and billow a little bit and get a little black around the edges, and then you see it’s a big ball of smoke with flashes on the inside, with the heat of the fire going outwards.
All this took about one minute. It was a series from bright to dark, and I had seen it. I am about the only guy who actually looked at the drat thing – the first Trinity test. Everybody else had dark glasses, and the people at six miles couldn’t see it because they were all told to lie on the floor. I’m probably the only guy who saw it with the human eye.
Finally, after about a minute and a half, there’s suddenly a tremendous noise – BANG, and then a rumble, like thunder – and that’s what convinced me. Nobody had said a word during this whole thing. We were all just watching quietly. But this sound released everybody – released me particularly because the solidity of the sound at that distance meant that it had really worked.
The man standing next to me said, “What’s that?”
“That was the Bomb.”

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Serious answer the night scopes in most military equipment have germanium crystal lenses. I was a 94A and had to work on the Bradley's night sight.

High end IR lenses in the near and far IR are generally germanium or Zinc Selenide, but holy gently caress are optical purity germanium crystals loving expensive. Near IR and visible can get away we certain kinds of borosilicate glass, or fused quartz, lots of options there. The crappy 'night vision' lenses for security cameras use borosilicate, it's the same poo poo they make pyrex dishes out of.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

High end IR lenses in the near and far IR are generally germanium or Zinc Selenide, but holy gently caress are optical purity germanium crystals loving expensive. Near IR and visible can get away we certain kinds of borosilicate glass, or fused quartz, lots of options there. The crappy 'night vision' lenses for security cameras use borosilicate, it's the same poo poo they make pyrex dishes out of.
Crappy construction for sure: Pyrex labware is still borosilicate, but the dishes are now tempered soda-lime glass after pyrex sold the name to someone. No longer freezer-to-oven safe. Of course, in places that aren't so brand conscious, pyrex is still borosilicate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Crappy construction for sure: Pyrex labware is still borosilicate, but the dishes are now tempered soda-lime glass after pyrex sold the name to someone. No longer freezer-to-oven safe. Of course, in places that aren't so brand conscious, pyrex is still borosilicate.

I got home drunk and hungy one night and instead of cooking pasta in my brownish glass pot I made it in a brownish glass bowl instead and surprisingly enough everything wen't perfectly fine until I poured the finished macaroni out of the bowl into a colander and the bowl shattered into a million loving fragments. The upside is I can't make the same mistake twice no matter how drunk I am because it was my only brown glass bowl big enough to cook pasta in.

If I'd poured slower, the macaroni would probably have been a lot less crunchy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

another reason why there are some people (not me no never.)who horde old pyrex stuff, as its awesome and the new poo poo is rather.. poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why not just use earthenware (or is it stoneware?) instead?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why not just use earthenware (or is it stoneware?) instead?

the surface texture of old pyrex is smooth, so its not abrasive to say glasstop ranges or anything as well as the insides so its much easier to clean and totally dishwasher with a steam clean setting safe. it handles rapid cooling and heating really really well and wont do the whole exploding thing.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

I said to myself, "Oh man, that's right out of 1985 in the PNW" and lo, it's in Tacoma and was built in 1986. That interior is hitting a direct wire to my childhood.

I love this house with absolutely zero irony and would happily live in it as soon as I changed the countertops and got those hosed up skylights fixed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The old Pyrex was less sensitive to rapid temperature shifts but more sensitive to knocks though iirc, which is why they changed it. But even the old ones definitely couldn't be used on the stovetop, not a surprise that didn't end well!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've had vintage pyrex explode in the cabinets, days after last use.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I assume they installed them upside down for the traction?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're thinking of thermal cameras. The lenses are typically made out of germanium, which is opaque to visible light but transparent to IR. There are a few other materials they use as well, but the principle is the same.

Edit: beaten.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 13, 2017

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

How many bruised knees/hips do these homeowners get from this toilet situation?

Bonus from the same house. I'm the water stains on the carpet

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was in a rental house last week, which had a hanging light fixture whose top was somewhere around 5'10" above the floor, positioned in front of a couch such that when you were sitting on the couch, you wouldn't really see it, but you'd absolutely hit your head on the damned thing when you stood up. It got me three times over the course of a week.

Bonus: the fixture was loving broken! :shepface:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

I'm the tacks holding the sides of the curtain to that window.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I was in a rental house last week, which had a hanging light fixture whose top was somewhere around 5'10" above the floor, positioned in front of a couch such that when you were sitting on the couch, you wouldn't really see it, but you'd absolutely hit your head on the damned thing when you stood up. It got me three times over the course of a week.

Bonus: the fixture was loving broken! :shepface:

Wouldn't bother me, I'm only 5'4".

Now what WOULD bother me is this carpeting. I have poor depth perception and might actually die on these stairs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao that handrail

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah, but guys can prop their butt on the counter when peeing and relax.

Why wouldn't you just make the cabinet narrower and move the sink and mirror over a foot or two when building that?

quote:

It feels like this should be in a boat or RV.

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao that handrail

Yo, I know you like handrails, so your handrail has a handrail...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

I think that might be the kind of carpet where it's dark or light depending on the angle of the fibres. You can sorta see footprints there and there's streaks elsewhere that suggest vacuuming.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Wouldn't bother me, I'm only 5'4".

Now what WOULD bother me is this carpeting. I have poor depth perception and might actually die on these stairs.

I love things like this from this thread...where the idea is totally hosed up but the execution is actually okay.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I love things like this from this thread...where the idea is totally hosed up but the execution is actually okay.

You did a stupid thing with all your skill and good workmanship, you just never stopped to think if you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just some good ol'-fashioned whole-assing.