Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:ninja: edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Hot take: the first amendment needs to be rewritten but NOT by the people in power right now.

Disagree, but the Klan and neo-Nazi groups should be treated like terrorist groups. You can't hold a March for Al Qaeda, you shouldn't be able to have a Klan rally.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think saying you'll pay the legal fees of someone who punches a protestor is dangerous speech, even if you're lying.

But maybe you disagree?

FREE SPEECH!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Godholio posted:

poo poo on them aaaaall you want. I'm right there with you. But I do not want the government suppressing unpopular or wrong opinions.

And frankly Cole, neither should you.

Fascism isn't an opinion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's a party platform.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You know what else was a party platform?

I'm sure people were saying "yeah maybe we should hear this guy out... free speech and all."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Looks like a significant number of the fascists have fled with their tails between their legs. Buzzfeed crew actually came across some armed left-wingers, too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cugel the Clever posted:

Looks like a significant number of the fascists have fled with their tails between their legs. Buzzfeed crew actually came across some armed left-wingers, too.

Watched a few streams, it was good.

People really need to start wearing uniforms and take a hint from british soccer hooligan brawls. Left is really out of practice protesting and forming lines.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
We have a statement by the Detroit Red Wings and nothing from the President of the United States.

https://twitter.com/DetroitRedWings/status/896398114659217408

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

We have a statement by the Detroit Red Wings and nothing from the President of the United States.

Who had time to make a statement when you're shooting under your handicap on the back nine?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Outlawing Nazis isn't outlawing an unpopular opinion, it's outlawing an inherently violent ideology that's a direct threat to large parts of the population. All the various flavor of white supremacist should be treated like terrorist groups, exactly. When the core pillar of your movement is "non-whites are subhuman and deserve to be gassed", you're lucky all you're getting is a court order to stop your rallies instead of a loving bullet like you deserve.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^My problem isn't that I think their ideology deserves a place at the big boy table, it's that I don't see a way to prohibit that kind of speech (absent accompanying violence or directly inciting violence which IS illegal), without opening a huge can of worms that allows whoever is in power to determine what is and is not ok. That's precisely why the First Amendment was written the way it is. If there's a way to do it, I'm listening. But I don't think there is.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

You know what else was a party platform?

I'm sure people were saying "yeah maybe we should hear this guy out... free speech and all."

That was actually a jab at the GOP.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 12, 2017

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Good on the Wings.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Godholio posted:

It's a party platform.

It's an ideology of hatred and violence that makes American citizens fear for their safety. That should not be tolerated, especially not under the guise of "it's just their opinion you guys".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Godholio posted:

If there's a way to do it, I'm listening. But I don't think there is.

You could declare anyone using the Nazi salute/Heiling Hitler/white supremacist tats as part of a violent gang. It probably won't do much, but anyone caught being disruptive at a rally would get gang related penalties on top of disorderly conduct, probably make them think about it a little more.

I mean poo poo, Juggalos are apparently considered a gang by association, why not do this to Nazi's?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wanna see a compilation vid of nazis getting beat on

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Professor Bling posted:

There are plenty of WW2 documentaries.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm totally down with declaring all of these alt-right hate groups terrorist organizations, because that's what they are. The OED defines terrorism as "the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims" and you're gonna have a hard time arguing that's not exactly what these people are doing.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Bad Poster posted:

There are plenty of WW2 documentaries.

modern nazis

though i will always have a place in my heart for the classics

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's sadly gonna be awhile before right wing terrorists are labeled terrorists. There's a lot of American cultural weight behind "fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them here" as a charitable interpretation. (It's really racism when you stop being charitable)

White guys aren't terrorists even when they're using violence in pursuit of political goals because White. See also: Bundy Chucklefucks and the Malhuer take over. Anti government violence and threats of violence but nope, not terrorism, just good old boys standing up for their rights.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Outlawing non-violent expression of ideas that are "obviously" evil & violent is a great idea... until you remember that a not insignificant number of people in this country believe that BLM, Obama, Vaccinations, Journalism, THE GAYS, and pretty much anything else you might agree with or, at worse, shrug your shoulders at, are OBVIOUSLY evil.

And their guy won the election. So maybe we should pump the brakes on dismantling free speech and assembly, yeah?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Watch. Some guy is going to get labeled as a terrorist for shooting Nazis

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Victor Vermis posted:

Outlawing non-violent expression of ideas that are "obviously" evil & violent is a great idea... until you remember that a not insignificant number of people in this country believe that BLM, Obama, Vaccinations, Journalism, THE GAYS, and pretty much anything else you might agree with or, at worse, shrug your shoulders at, are OBVIOUSLY evil.

And their guy won the election. So maybe we should pump the brakes on dismantling free speech and assembly, yeah?

no

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Godholio posted:

^My problem isn't that I think their ideology deserves a place at the big boy table, it's that I don't see a way to prohibit that kind of speech (absent accompanying violence or directly inciting violence which IS illegal), without opening a huge can of worms that allows whoever is in power to determine what is and is not ok. That's precisely why the First Amendment was written the way it is. If there's a way to do it, I'm listening. But I don't think there is.

This is something I'm super worried about, too. I do agree that Nazism is one of those things that becomes an existential threat if you don't keep it stamped out, but I'm not sure how to justify it in a way that doesn't erode the protections for anybody not in power. There are definitely ways to explain the distinction (anybody who believes in trying to keep down/remove anybody else over things about themselves that they can't control is bad), but the degree to which social justice concepts have been repurposed by racists to weaponize against, like, BLM shows how hard this can backfire.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
things have to get worse before they get better

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Third World Reggin posted:

things have to get worse before they get better

if this means i get to shoot nazis i'm strangely okay with it

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Professor Bling posted:

It's been how many decades since the last time the national guard started dropping bodies on college campuses? Too many by the looks of it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

My family generations skipped WW2. Grandfather was Korea and great grandfather was WW1. I'd happily fill in the family void of not getting to kill nazis

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

It's been how many decades since the last time the national guard started dropping bodies on college campuses? Too many by the looks of it.

Natty guard being on the correct side for killing people on college campuses would be a nicè change

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reverand maynard posted:

My family generations skipped WW2. Grandfather was Korea and great grandfather was WW1. I'd happily fill in the family void of not getting to kill nazis

same, actually

Also, glad I'm out so that the Korean War doesn't become a family business

but mainly I want to kill Nazis

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The two bundy events were definitely key red flags that led to this being normalized and acceptable. Both events were cheered on by the right (including Members of the US legislative branch!) and received restrained response from the federal government, likely to avoid fanning the flames, but really resulting in an emboldened far right/militia movement. Then we have the inept prosecution after the fact.

It's crazy and scary to see how people throwing up sieg heils and wearing Adolf hitler quotes on their shirts is met with such a muted response.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FastestGunAlive posted:

The two bundy events were definitely key red flags that led to this being normalized and acceptable. Both events were cheered on by the right (including Members of the US legislative branch!) and received restrained response from the federal government, likely to avoid fanning the flames, but really resulting in an emboldened far right/militia movement. Then we have the inept prosecution after the fact.

It's crazy and scary to see how people throwing up sieg heils and wearing Adolf hitler quotes on their shirts is met with such a muted response.

Hot take: if those people couldn't vote democrats would still have a majority and probably the presidency.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Imagine a boot stomping on a neo-Nazis face...forever. I'd pay good money to watch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
On the one hand, I dislike the idea of banning political speech you disagree with. It shouldn't be illegal to be a white supremacist.

....on the other hand, there are white nationalists and Klanners on the streets of Charlottesville. Time for the National Guard to reenact Kent State. Killing Klanners and Nazis ain't hatred, it's a goddamn civic duty.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Professor Bling posted:

Best I got.

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/896426417864359936

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/896427987037552640

edit: might have been multiple vehicles

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 12, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Iron Rose posted:

On the one hand, I dislike the idea of banning political speech you disagree with. It shouldn't be illegal to be a white supremacist.

....on the other hand, there are white nationalists and Klanners on the streets of Charlottesville. Time for the National Guard to reenact Kent State. Killing Klanners and Nazis ain't hatred, it's a goddamn civic duty.

Don't need the national guard for that. If theres a rally in the area get some buddies and brawl. Pepe's and Red Hats fold under actual confrontation.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FAUXTON posted:

If their sudden fall from comfort drives them into opioids and they leave this mortal coil as another barf-covered OD in the bathroom as their family is waiting with cake and presents in the kitchen that would be okay too pariah or not.

Haha that's some Shakespeare level diss. Then it peters out sorta

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Hot Karl Marx posted:

edit: might have been multiple vehicles

That looks bad. V. Bad

https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/896429257865482241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think people don't have enough free time. We work and work and stress and the time not working is %110 taken up by other work or just plain decompressing in any way possible the minimum amount required to head back into it, or less. Who has time to research poo poo that doesn't directly affect you RIGHT NOW? No wonder falling back on tribalism and superstition and whatever feels right is just how it goes; if nothing else it's a real time saver.

• Locked thread