Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ryanbomber posted:

When you only have 1 stack, so failure doesn't cause you to lose any stacks.

Oh yeah good point.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Opening with two patients will always get you a result at least as good as opening with two hasty touches as long as you can afford it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

UHD posted:

Random question: why would I ever use Patient Touch?

It gives you two stacks if you succeed, so it's potentially the most efficient ability in terms of both IQ stacks per CP and per durability. You only want to use it when you have zero or one stack and you know you can spare the CP or durability if you fail. If you have more than one stack the risk isn't worth it on average.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

UHD posted:

Random question: why would I ever use Patient Touch?

Often. First stack won't cost you anything, and a success will put you up at 3. Patient touch again, and a success puts you up at 5, while a loss takes you down to 2. (1/2, rounded up.) Still not terrible.

It's from there on upwards that failures are bad, because 1) you start to run out of durability to recover and 2) you're already 2/5ths of the way through a Steady Hand.

I figure two Patient Touches are pretty much de rigeur, three or more depending on how much of a gambler you are.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Often. First stack won't cost you anything, and a success will put you up at 3. Patient touch again, and a success puts you up at 5, while a loss takes you down to 2. (1/2, rounded up.) Still not terrible.

It's from there on upwards that failures are bad, because 1) you start to run out of durability to recover and 2) you're already 2/5ths of the way through a Steady Hand.

I figure two Patient Touches are pretty much de rigeur, three or more depending on how much of a gambler you are.

In theory, this is entirely true, and something that will probably be good to remember when we get 3-star crafts.

In practice, people already have completely consistent crafting patterns for every craft added, 2-stars included, that completely omit Patient touch to go all in on Manip2 and spamming Prudent. Like I'm not even exaggerating here - crafting is a solved problem at the moment, as long as you have the raw stats to start 2-star recipes, and will remain so until theoretical 3-star recipes spike difficulty and quality requirements. Thanks to cunning potions you can even slack on CP melds a fair bit. I haven't used anything but prudent in months.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've played about ~100 matches of Feast and about ~150 frontlines this expansion and completely forgot we could equip pvp traits, haha..ha...

Extended stun resistance ftw

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meiteron posted:

In theory, this is entirely true, and something that will probably be good to remember when we get 3-star crafts.

In practice, people already have completely consistent crafting patterns for every craft added, 2-stars included, that completely omit Patient touch to go all in on Manip2 and spamming Prudent. Like I'm not even exaggerating here - crafting is a solved problem at the moment, as long as you have the raw stats to start 2-star recipes, and will remain so until theoretical 3-star recipes spike difficulty and quality requirements. Thanks to cunning potions you can even slack on CP melds a fair bit. I haven't used anything but prudent in months.

It's actually kind of silly how easy crafting is now compared to two years ago. Not that I'm complaining.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I have Ast, Mch, Drk, and Rdm at 70 which gives me one of each 'flavor' of combat class except for melee.

So basically I need to know which of the 4 melee jobs has the coolest glamours.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
MNK consistently has some of the best glamour options patch in and patch out.

So... time to level a Samurai! =D

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Samurai is also really fun to play.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's only one drg set in the game that's good without being a recolor of other melee sets

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
SAM has the lamest AF3 of the melee dps classes though

luckily both the level 69 striking and ala mhigan striking sets are real good

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 12, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Saint Freak posted:

I have Ast, Mch, Drk, and Rdm at 70 which gives me one of each 'flavor' of combat class except for melee.

So basically I need to know which of the 4 melee jobs has the coolest glamours.

Monk.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

you can call fat girls that

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
would have had it last week (5% wipes!!!!) but we did it

time to slam our heads against exdeath

e: i barely look at glamours other than my own but lol @ the amount of shisui/faire whatever havers in this screenshot

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 12, 2017

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

lol if u don't glamour on season

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Copycatgirls

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

I can't imagine not using legacy controls, but I wish pressing left or right actually moved you in a straight line rather than a wide arc around the camera.

Just hold the right mouse button, it'll lock the camera so it doesn't spin unless you tell it to.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

He pulled with Shield Lob into Provoke. Might unsub.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's odd to feel this way but I kind of like that period with the game where you're utterly burnt out and people playing like poo poo was just a minor nuisance before but when someone plays no worse than before and it just makes you wanna log out and not play anymore because the patience for it is utterly gone.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I'm surprised that the level of play seems to take a nosedive at this point into an expansion. I would think by now that there would be fewer new and bad players still committed to playing the game. I've been working on levelling my Drg in HW and SB dungeons this week and not one DPS or Tank player has used their AoE skills. Dungeon grinding is getting painfully slow and tedious.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Krabboss posted:

I'm surprised that the level of play seems to take a nosedive at this point into an expansion. I would think by now that there would be fewer new and bad players still committed to playing the game. I've been working on levelling my Drg in HW and SB dungeons this week and not one DPS or Tank player has used their AoE skills. Dungeon grinding is getting painfully slow and tedious.

It kinda makes sense in that the people who are good at/want to play those roles would have already gotten them to 70 at this point, so everyone you get on dungeons is working on their off classes. Being really bad though, that's just like the human condition or something.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

shouldn't you be generally good at the game if you've got like 3 classes at level 70 though? like you should know the general rule of thumb for when to aoe, how combos work, and that using ogcd skills is a Good thing.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
If the whole of someone's gameplay is run dungeons, cap times, maybe do the 24 mans when they come out, then there's not really anything in the game to indicate if you're doing well or not other then "we cleared." Not a whole lot of people are going to bother to look up rotations. This is the part of the thread where we now discuss the pros and cons of adding an official in game parser.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Parse my rear end

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
this parser says your rear end is in the bottom percentile

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Girls only!
Actual girls: 0

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

the game should absolutely have a parser built in tbqh. also permanent bans for underperformers.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Krabboss posted:

the game should absolutely have a parser built in tbqh. also permanent bans for underperformers.

I'd settle for "being bad" being a valid votekick reason

I know "difference in playstyles" is essentially this but it needs to be more explicit.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think I finally got gud

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
At least the basic rotations that I've seen in the game look self-explanatory, though I'm wondering how to effectively use the post-50 SAM Kenki gauge skills, because there is a LOT of them.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I think an interesting middle ground to the parser problem would be to put in a self only parser with a reference for how you are doing vs some arbitrary number.

If you are below 50% of median dps for your class for more than a week you get permanently unsubbed and your character deleted

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krabboss posted:

Thursday night I tried to get through the final trial and it took 7 groups to finally complete it. One of them didn't even have the dps to clear the add/meteor phase. It was an incredibly frustrating experience watching these people that knew the mechanics but physically couldn't perform them. Picking up the expansion a month late was terrible timing on my part.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Colgate posted:

At least the basic rotations that I've seen in the game look self-explanatory, though I'm wondering how to effectively use the post-50 SAM Kenki gauge skills, because there is a LOT of them.

I'm no SAM expert, but I think this is broadly correct:

First, kenki spenders offer superior DPS than your finishers, so you always want to hagakure to convert your Sen into kenki. That said, Kaiten'ing a finisher is the best bang for you kenki buck (this goes for all three of them).

So whenever you have 3 sen , you hagakure if available, if not, you kaiten your finisher. Always save enough kenki to be able to do this. Guren is the next most efficient spender, but it is on a 2 minute cooldown. Beyond that, you just weave in the ogcd Shinten or Kyuten, depending on whether you are aoeing or not. Since kenki doesn't degrade, it's usually a good idea to keep some saved to use on movement skills.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Colgate posted:

In a nutshell:

If Guren is off CD, use Guren (you have all your buffs up, right?). If it won't be off CD for a while, try to avoid having more than ~35 kenki without spending it.

Hold onto just enough kenki to use Kaiten any time you expect to use Higabana or Megatsu soon.

If neither of the above are true, use Shinten whenever possible.

The charge and backstep are handy for maintaining uptime while avoiding AoEs, but their use depends on the fight so the best times to use them will vary.

The Third Eye bonus hit whose name I can never remember is more kenki-efficient than Shinten, so try to use it whenever unavoidable damage is coming out in place of a Shinten.

If you can hit at least two targets, use Kyoten instead of Shinten. It's part of why Sam is such a goddamn buzzsaw in the middle of a trash pack.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like to glamor

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Use Meikyo on cooldown to get an extra Midare out, don't use it to get buffs up. Ideally you put up Yukikaze then Meikyo->Gekko->Kasha->Kaiten->Midare->Gekko/Kasha (depending on which buff has more time), but make sure Shiten and Jinpu aren't going to fall off during all that.

Most of the time I end up doing something like Midare->Meikyo->Gekko->Kasha->Yuki->Kaiten->Midare->Whichever combo has the shorter buff time left which is less optimal but harder to gently caress up

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

One thing I haven't decided on is whether or not using Meikyo to put up buffs during a trash pull is a good idea or if it should just be used for Even More AOE. Since trash pulls don't really matter anyway it isn't that big of a deal either way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thundarr posted:

One thing I haven't decided on is whether or not using Meikyo to put up buffs during a trash pull is a good idea or if it should just be used for Even More AOE. Since trash pulls don't really matter anyway it isn't that big of a deal either way though.

I read somewhere to do Meikyo->Jinpu->Oka->Mangetsu->Kaitan->Tenka so that's what I've been doing. It works well enough that I haven't bothered trying other stuff