Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
having already sewn up the accessories market by making everything require a dongle, tim now sets his sights on increasing repair incident sales by making a phone you can't use if you firmly grip it in your hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm sure they noticed case sales were below target, so the optimal solution is to make the phone impossible to use without a case

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they are going to put touchid on the watch so you have buy both

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

yes, but shaggar seemed to think it was supposed to be a clickwheel dongle

or maybe i misunderstood him idfk

i was talking about the clearly fake on screen media controls

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jony ive should stick with making metal slabs and stop trying to steer software design

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Bobby Digital posted:

there’s something about casey’s voice that is super aggravating to me. besides his opinions i mean

he always asks himself questions as if it were real-time follow up from the listeners and increasingly gets annoyed at the questions from the hypothetical listeners but he's really only asking himself why he's an idiot about various things.

Hypercritical is my favorite podcast of all time, John Siracusa is my spirit animal, and anything that dilutes his stream of thought is a bummer but if he has to pair with anyone, I think Marco is a good contrast. maybe Gruber, but he always sounds so detached in his podcast. even as a one-off I'd pay good money for 2 hours of Siracusa and Thurrott at a table together. Casey is harmless, but unfortunately (for him) he is utterly replaceable by editing.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Scott Forstall posted:

he always asks himself questions as if it were real-time follow up from the listeners and increasingly gets annoyed at the questions from the hypothetical listeners but he's really only asking himself why he's an idiot about various things.

lol

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
What the gently caress fixes "Failed , Unable to complete Touch ID setup.Please go back and try again." on a Steve edition

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Millstone posted:

What the gently caress fixes "Failed , Unable to complete Touch ID setup.Please go back and try again." on a Steve edition

Try drying your hands off first

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

works4me

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Scott Forstall posted:

Hypercritical is my favorite podcast of all time, John Siracusa is my spirit animal, and anything that dilutes his stream of thought is a bummer but if he has to pair with anyone, I think Marco is a good contrast. maybe Gruber, but he always sounds so detached in his podcast. even as a one-off I'd pay good money for 2 hours of Siracusa and Thurrott at a table together. Casey is harmless, but unfortunately (for him) he is utterly replaceable by editing.

have you listened to reconcilable differences? it’s siracusa and merlin mann bullshitting. pretty good most episodes

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

Lol. I’m listening to a Q&A episode of ATP and Casey Liss recommended we all listen to Ben Shapiro’s podcast.

i heard this while biking to work and skipped past any rationalisation because if i wanted to listen to a homunculus embarass himself i'd listen to the ben shapiro show

incidentally said bike has about 4 working gears, is rusty as poo poo and has tyres patched together with poundland puncture repair kits. it's rather strange listening to marco try to rationalise spending thousands of dollars on a bike that he's too much of a pussy to ride up hills

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Millstone posted:

a juice enema should fix that right up

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Millstone posted:

a new Touch ID sensor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
upgrade ur hands op

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

i heard this while biking to work and skipped past any rationalisation because if i wanted to listen to a homunculus embarass himself i'd listen to the ben shapiro show

incidentally said bike has about 4 working gears, is rusty as poo poo and has tyres patched together with poundland puncture repair kits. it's rather strange listening to marco try to rationalise spending thousands of dollars on a bike that he's too much of a pussy to ride up hills

Marco mixes Siracusa's whininess with Casey's mushy weak opinions in the worst way. hearing him gripe endlessly about how his $10k Mac Pro wasn't a good machine for writing podcast apps and editing podcasts was loving terrible.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sometimes people inside apple appreciate Marco pointing out things that are bad because it gets more traction on getting things fixed than internal pressure. but he's such a whiney bitch that all of that goodwill goes down the tubes when he writes some stupid screed that gets picked up by every lovely clickbait site that apple is doomed because whatever dumb thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Doc Block posted:

$10k Mac Pro wasn't a good machine

this is right tho.

i don't mean that as yospos snark, i mean the trash can pro was a bad design that worked for no one and should never have made it to market. it was a ridiculous waste of time and resources.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why apple is committed to following that up with an imac pro is beyond me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

infernal machines posted:

this is right tho.

i don't mean that as yospos snark, i mean the trash can pro was a bad design that worked for no one and should never have made it to market. it was a ridiculous waste of time and resources.

can't innovate my rear end

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

why apple is committed to following that up with an imac pro is beyond me

they realized at a point that there a small fraction of their market that will just buy the most expensive thing every time so they're making small run machines to sell for big money to those people

it's basically the imac edition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

at that point why not just make a black anodized imac with the top configurable spec as the only sku, and charge an extra $5k for it?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
they apparently had the imac pro in the works before the people at the top finally realized that no one liked the 2013 Mac Pro and that it + FCP X had cost them a ton of goodwill and a huge chunk of the pro market.

hopefully the new Mac Pro will be good, including having an nVidia GPU and not using that stupid module design some people were proposing.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
here's the feedback loop:

Mac pros never get updated
people buy fewer of them because they are never updated
company doesn't want to invest money in updating them because few people buy them

now throw in the trash can pro (which all the engineers knew was a stupid idea from the beginning), which is more expensive and less configurable. people choose to go with new high end iMacs instead because it's less than half the price, equally non-configurable, has been updated more recently, plus comes with a nice screen. so the company sees that what people want is iMacs, not Mac pros.

ergo, iMac pro.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Doc Block posted:

they apparently had the imac pro in the works before the people at the top finally realized that no one liked the 2013 Mac Pro and that it + FCP X had cost them a ton of goodwill and a huge chunk of the pro market.

hopefully the new Mac Pro will be good, including having an nVidia GPU and not using that stupid module design some people were proposing.

all they need to do is re-use the old tower mac pro design and put newer components in it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

akadajet posted:

all they need to do is re-use the old tower mac pro design and put newer components in it.

well where's the courage in that?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

realizing Steve is deader than poo poo and getting a regular 7 or 7+

:wrong:

he's still alive in our hearts and his spirit lives on with the best phone on the market, the iphone se

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Millstone posted:

a fundamental redesign of the entire touchid component to have even basic functionality which it lacks in all current and previous iterations

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Doc Block posted:

it will not. there is a 0% chance of this happening.

The Management posted:

here's the feedback loop:

Mac pros never get updated
people buy fewer of them because they are never updated
company doesn't want to invest money in updating them because few people buy them

now throw in the trash can pro (which all the engineers knew was a stupid idea from the beginning), which is more expensive and less configurable. people choose to go with new high end iMacs instead because it's less than half the price, equally non-configurable, has been updated more recently, plus comes with a nice screen. so the company sees that what people want is iMacs, not Mac pros.

ergo, iMac pro.

i can understand how it happens, but it's so incredibly obvious, you have to assume the product group actively dislikes their customers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

well where's the courage in that?

call it the "steve edition"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

give us the mac mini pro timb

it can just be an intel NUC with an aluminum housing around it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm kinda curious what Apple uses internally. i assume they issue MacBooks pro and have build servers or something. what would those servers run on?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm kinda curious what Apple uses internally. i assume they issue MacBooks pro and have build servers or something. what would those servers run on?

deception, mostly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

idiots

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mishaq posted:

be careful what you wish for, the QC on the NUCs has gotten worse with every successive generation

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

it will not. there is a 0% chance of this happening.

i can understand how it happens, but it's so incredibly obvious, you have to assume the product group actively dislikes their customers

I think when Steve passed a bunch of their leadership deceived themselves into thinking they were part of the magic. Steve can tell people what they're going to like, so why can't we?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

mishaq posted:

still using the last quad-core mini over here, so i'd be into this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

go pro or go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess the desktop team is full of nice lads and ladies who mean well but all upper management cares about is iPhones and laptops because they make more money

• Locked thread