Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Macaluso posted:

This is the important question. Also is there Hyper Sonic

I guess you're joking, but they pretty much said Hyper Sonic/Super Emeralds won't be in Mania in the SDCC panel. They said maybe in the future if there's enough feedback for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Something I've genuinely always wondered about but what's with Sonic 2's ending? As a kid and to this day I still don't understand why it's grayscale and in a tiny box floating in a white void.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One thing I do have to say The guitar in Lava Reef act 2 sounds astounding.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Something I've genuinely always wondered about but what's with Sonic 2's ending? As a kid and to this day I still don't understand why it's grayscale and in a tiny box floating in a white void.

Probably saving on storage size. grayscale means one pallet applies to all the sprite panels, and the smaller size means that they need to store fewer tiles.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the fact they didn't give the game an actual loving ending is enough of a reason to be mad, the almost lazy forces tie in is just a pointless cherry on the cake.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stairmaster posted:

the fact they didn't give the game an actual loving ending is enough of a reason to be mad, the almost lazy forces tie in is just a pointless cherry on the cake.

Most classic games just had sonic point at you and that's it. It's why I was so baffled originally.

Sonic 1 Sonic runs into green hill and points at you
Sonic 2 Sonic lands on the Tornado then jumps back off it to point at you
Sonic 3 + K has the Tornado catch the master emerald and sonic and he jumps/flys at you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That's patently wrong because they're all proceeded by you wrecking robotniks poo poo and returning home.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stairmaster posted:

That's patently wrong because they're all proceeded by you wrecking robotniks poo poo and returning home.

I haven't seen the final boss or anything but I assume you wreck robotniks poo poo in mania too. It's just you do a fingerpoint/pose somewhere else.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I haven't seen the final boss or anything but I assume you wreck robotniks poo poo in mania too. It's just you do a fingerpoint/pose somewhere else.

Yes, it's a goddamn sonic game, you rather decidedly wreck Robotnik's poo poo And the Hard Boiled Heavy's leader's poo poo in a tag-team battle. In the bad ending it's sonic, tails, and knuckles watching as the chain on the little planet breaks but it doesn't actually go anywhere. In the good ending it's tails and knuckles watching as the little planet shimmers and disappears leaving behind a cloud of sparkles that looks like sonic's face, which winks at them

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hm, pathetic, giving in to spoilers this early? Hah.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'll happily read story spoilers because it is literally the least important part of a good Sonic game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yes, I'm definitely talking about the sonic videogame cartoon hedgehog story, not the people here who know with full detail what each zone is, what happens after you beat the game, and those who got so mad at the delay they spoiled the game and got madder.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
like for 70% of you the delay doesnt matter because it still releases on schedule for consoles, i think its just bizarre as all hell

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ventana posted:

I guess you're joking, but they pretty much said Hyper Sonic/Super Emeralds won't be in Mania in the SDCC panel. They said maybe in the future if there's enough feedback for it

I wasn't joking :confused: I genuinely didn't know

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I wasn't joking :confused: I genuinely didn't know

They asked at a con if the super emeralds would ever be returning and their response was that they were really only created so that people would have a thing to collect in the locked on sonic 3 and weren't strictly canon.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

They also referenced "a certain famous anime" in which characters kept becoming stronger and stronger and stronger with each new transformation and that they felt it would be wise to avoid that.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

ArfJason posted:

Yes, I'm definitely talking about the sonic videogame cartoon hedgehog story, not the people here who know with full detail what each zone is, what happens after you beat the game, and those who got so mad at the delay they spoiled the game and got madder.
Sorry dude your post came after a full page of people bitching about the ending in spoiler tags, thought you were referencing that.

Personally i don't really care if i have the zones spoiled that much, but i'm not going to watch a full playthrough before i even touch the thing myself. The level design, stage gimmiks, music remixes etc. are what really matter to me, not what tilesets they're bring back.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
If you guys could be so kind to use spoiler tags when you console peeps discuss the Mania of Sonic, much thanks.

I never got Sonic1 on Steam as I own 5 copies of the bloody game already but now I get to try all those cool mods for it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think sonic forces is gonna be bad

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dont care as long as the modern sections are good

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

can we talk about more important things like cybershells patreon

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Stairmaster posted:

Knuckles tier looking very tempting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Do I need to do anything for the free Sonic 1 for the PC Mania delay? Hasn't shown up in my steamlist yet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxyclean posted:

Do I need to do anything for the free Sonic 1 for the PC Mania delay? Hasn't shown up in my steamlist yet.

You don't get it in your account till the 15th.

edit: at least, that's what I read. Could be wrong.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 12, 2017

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Stairmaster posted:

I'm donating when I get paid this month, cybers hell owns

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Kurieg posted:

They asked at a con if the super emeralds would ever be returning and their response was that they were really only created so that people would have a thing to collect in the locked on sonic 3 and weren't strictly canon.

They can say they're not canon all they like but I know in my heart that the super emeralds are real, they are strong, and they are my friends.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Oh great, now Cybershells got my money! drat you autism!

quote:

Do I need to do anything for the free Sonic 1 for the PC Mania delay? Hasn't shown up in my steam list yet.

My copy just appeared today, the genesis/Megadrive collection updated (a whopping 1.5 kb) and there was Sonic the Hedgehog 1.

I downloaded that Sonic Megamix mod that was created by Stealth in the early 2000s and holy poo poo balls! It's amazing! Seriously, Sonic Mania is ok to be delayed now that I can try this mod created by the same guy.

I guess for every 50 furries the Sonic franchise creates, you get 1 amazing programmer!

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 12, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

CJacobs posted:

You don't get it in your account till the 15th.

edit: at least, that's what I read. Could be wrong.

I've got it already, didn't have before. You just have to check on it's Steam store page or Genesis Collection library.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't give a poo poo about Sonic spoilers either but I'd rather see stuff playing the game. I'm tired of learning everything about a game before it's loving even out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

i dont care as long as the modern sections are good

bad news,

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Augus posted:

bad news,

yes?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they're not gonna be good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
how are they bad?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
twenty bucks are riding on that purchase, i think it's a good question, can you please answer how the sections are bad?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sonic was never good so even the best Sonic game would be bad.:smug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
i also don't get why people are saying Forces will be lovely. When in all likelihood it's going to be a solid game from what we have seen of it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Forces looks worse than Generations, better than Lost World, just solidly okay to me. I'll get it and probably enjoy it but the gameplay footage we've seen has some issues; it's looked a little off to me and no matter how good it is I don't think I could ever get as pumped for it as with Mania.

I will very sincerely make my own OC and give him a name and draw fanart of him because literally one of my greatest life regrets is that I never made a Sonic fancharacter when I was 10.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I just want more daytime unleashed

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I hope that Forces is really good but honestly, at worst, I expect it to be just decent. It won't reach the same level of hype and optimism that I got with Mania, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think the modem sections will be good, the classic sections will be okay but will look bad next to mania, and the oc sections look dreadful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the sections will be good because Sonic is good. Sonic Forces will be good. Sonic Mania will be good.

Sonic is good.