Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Today must be opposite day because, having played most versions of Tetris, that is actually the worst version.

Except maybe BPS's first one on the Famicom, that one was pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Is there some kind of detailed ranking of Terriers I should know about?

E: Also, is there some kind of detailed ranking of Tetrises I should know about?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

E: Also, is there some kind of detailed ranking of Tetrises I should know about?

1. TGM3
2. TGM2
3. TGM

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zamujasa posted:

You could've at least picked a better game to test with. :colbert:

:stare:

I guess maybe it isn't all that great if you don't have any friends.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
until puyo puyo tetris came out tetris battle gaiden was the only fun tetris

it's still the most fun tetris

E: tgm is the coolest tetris but you get that better by watching people who are extremely good play instead of playing yourself

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 12, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sir Tonk posted:

:stare:

I guess maybe it isn't all that great if you don't have any friends.
It has been the #1 crowd pleaser at every party I've hosted

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Tetris Battle Gaiden is a fine game if you're playing with other people. Not good, but not terrible. Single player it's absolutely garbage, as is every "shared queue" game.

mycophobia posted:

1. TGM3
2. TGM2
3. TGM

Yep.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
played through Monster in my Pocket for the first time. Not a bad little game, but not top tier konami either. Ultimately reminded me of a less good Rescue Rangers, which played with it's sense of scale more

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

1. Game Boy Tetris/Nintendo NES Tetris
2. Tetris Plus
3. Bastard Tetris

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Everyone forgets about Tetrisphere smh

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Zamujasa posted:

Tetris Battle Gaiden is a fine game if you're playing with other people. Not good, but not terrible. Single player it's absolutely garbage, as is every "shared queue" game.

You think TGM multiplayer modes are better than Battle Gaiden's? Did you hit up GameFAQs on how to play before you came to this conclusion?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheManWithNoName posted:

tetris in name only, much like Attack. though i did learn from the latest sdgq that it has a really good soundtrack

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

tetrisphere owns but yeah it's really not actually tetris

which is good because it's better

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

absolutely anything posted:

tetrisphere owns but yeah it's really not actually tetris

which is good because it's better

you dont know anything

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

mycophobia posted:

you dont know anything

they're correct, actually

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
1) tetris
2) columns
3) dr mario?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Puyo, Tetris, Money Idol Exchanger

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The best Tetris game is actually Wario's Woods

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dr Mario doesn't belong on good game lists

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
I just finished Donkey Kong Country 2.

Now I need to 102% it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I just finished Donkey Kong Country 2.

Now I need to 102% it.

Have fun! A few of those DK coins are hidden in really odd places, but none of them are particularly unfair if you're used to poking around in video games.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I never really played Dragons Lair properly, but the graphics on the gbc version are excellent and enjoyable.

Still a bad game.

This post literally made me play this just now lol

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Mak0rz posted:

The best Tetris game is actually Wario's Woods

Yes, this. But for things that are actually proper Tetris I recall liking Tetris DX some, way more than the OG gameboy release at least. I think we can all agree that Tetris World sucks the most, followed by Magical Tetris Challenge on the N64.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ubisoft's recent Tetris game for PS4 was pretty loving bad.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Mak0rz posted:

Have fun! A few of those DK coins are hidden in really odd places, but none of them are particularly unfair if you're used to poking around in video games.

I'm using the Nintendo Power guide hehe.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We were checking out NES romhacks today. Most were garbage, but we discovered Metroid Incursion Plus which was really cool. It's a custom map layout, and custom art set. The art set is really cool, especially for the environments. There are no visually floating platforms, everything has some scaffolding or something else holding it up. It also has a map accessible from the pause menu which is really useful.

It looks like the author went on to make another popular rom hack called Metroid Rogue Dawn, which we'll have to check out later.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

2DCAT posted:

This post literally made me play this just now lol

For shame. Someone has replaced the one and two player buttons incorrectly on that cabinet.

I can't do that with many arcade cabinets, but it's really easy with Dragon's Lair.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I just picked up two acclaim dual turbo wireless controllers in the box off of ebay for $13.50 :dance: . I seriously thought deals were dead but I got really lucky considering they are 60 bucks everywhere else without the box. Too bad they aren't six buttons. They are IR so I hope they don't suck but I really don't care because I got them for dirt cheap.

Also, is it possible to put a Bluetooth transmitter in the Genesis headphone jack and use Bluetooth headphones while gaming? I would suspect there would be a latency problem.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Wizgot posted:

Also, is it possible to put a Bluetooth transmitter in the Genesis headphone jack and use Bluetooth headphones while gaming? I would suspect there would be a latency problem.

Depends on both the type of devices and your sensitivity to it. My Bluetooth headphones seem to work alright when watching video on PC, so a game might not be too bad either.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm using the Nintendo Power guide hehe.

Ok good because I just remembered the Kannon's Klaim coin and mostly rescind my statement

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Random Stranger posted:

For shame. Someone has replaced the one and two player buttons incorrectly on that cabinet.

I can't do that with many arcade cabinets, but it's really easy with Dragon's Lair.

Really curious how you do this 'incorrectly"? Just because they are a different color/brand?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The New Tetris had a really good line clearing sound effect and making the world wonders was fun.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Kelp Plankton posted:

MODS!?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nice.

I just got an X-Arcade with 2 sets of sticks and buttons and called it a day myself.

Yeah. From what I saw getting the parts and wiring the thing together is the easy part. The hard part is getting a good housing for it. I wanted the button layout to resemble more of a Neo-Geo Cabinet and Couldn't find anything big enough. This was until one guy on Youtube showed one using whats called a project box. It's still not big enough for what I wan't but I think it's a good starting place. Lets hope I don't gently caress up.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Kelp Plankton posted:

Trolling isn't allowed here Sir.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I played some of the Metroid Rogue Dawn rom hack last night. Far more technically impressive than Incursion Plus, which was already impressive. The early level design was a little more convoluted than in Incursion Plus, though.

I had originally written romhacks as usually falling into half assed sprite swaps. These two have shown me that people can put serious effort and craft into rom hacks. Does anyone know of any other high quality ones I've missed?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

dr. mario didn't get good until dr. luigi introduced the L shaped pill mode that makes playing the game not a tedious pain in the rear end

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Chainclaw posted:

I played some of the Metroid Rogue Dawn rom hack last night. Far more technically impressive than Incursion Plus, which was already impressive. The early level design was a little more convoluted than in Incursion Plus, though.

I had originally written romhacks as usually falling into half assed sprite swaps. These two have shown me that people can put serious effort and craft into rom hacks. Does anyone know of any other high quality ones I've missed?

I would be remiss if I didn't recommend Super Mario 3Mix. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2068/

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone know if the gray guncon with the yellow RCA plug will work on a PS2 slim? I'm thinking not, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

absolutely anything posted:

dr. mario didn't get good until dr. luigi introduced the L shaped pill mode that makes playing the game not a tedious pain in the rear end

Flash mode, introduced in Dr. Mario 64, is a great twist. It's a versus mode where you race to eliminate the randomly selected flashing viruses (one of each color,) so your focus is on clearing a path to them as fast as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WN1_30CcxU

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 13, 2017

• Locked thread