Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Junk posted:

the john k couch gag sequence was so awful
not only did i not know he made a couch gag, i didn't know he still worked as a cartoonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
John K is still alive?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone legit still watch the Simpsons?

Like do you sit there on your couch or whatever you sit on to watch tv and go 'oh man! This episode might the return to form! It might take this poo poo show to heights higher than even the golden age! I hope Bart does something funny'?

Because if so I think you should check yourself into a nearby clinic

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

facebook jihad posted:

Like do you sit there on your couch or whatever you sit on to watch tv and go 'oh man! This episode might the return to form! It might take this poo poo show to heights higher than even the golden age! I hope Bart does something funny'?

I do!

It's OK sometimes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

facebook jihad posted:

I was up until a couple years ago or so. I never had any hope it would return to the old heights, but it was kind of a comfort food and I found I could get a few chuckles per episode, even if just in a lame "dad joke" sort of way. I think I hit a streak of exceptionally cringey episodes a season or two back, though, and threw in the towel.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

I watch once or twice per year. Just to see where the bottom is.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I haven't regularly watched any new episodes since like season 10 or 11. I'll only check out the occasional new one if there's some buzz like the Lego one or the Futurama crossover.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Junk posted:

the john k couch gag sequence was so awful

That's because he's actually an awful person

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

54 40 or gently caress posted:

That's because he's actually an awful person
does he still creep on barely legal women

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I remember one episode had "Quieten Tarantino Presents Itchy and Scratchy" that was just the most shallow joke you could possibly make about Pulp Fiction and Tarantino films and now the entire show feels like that one bad gag.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

I remember one episode had "Quieten Tarantino Presents Itchy and Scratchy" that was just the most shallow joke you could possibly make about Pulp Fiction and Tarantino films and now the entire show feels like that one bad gag.
there was more to it than that. the itchy & scratchy bit was a Reservoir Dogs reference, and Tarantino makes an appearance at the end to decry cartoon violence before he gets violently decapitated. granted, it's not the greatest joke

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

get that OUT of my face posted:

does he still creep on barely legal women

Most likely. Especially those he's mentoring

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Most likely. Especially those he's mentoring

Wait, who?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

John Kriscfalusi, creator of Ren and Stimpy. Notorious rear end in a top hat and noted creep

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

John Kriscfalusi, creator of Ren and Stimpy. Notorious rear end in a top hat and noted creep

Even on the DVD's of Ren and Stimpy, a long-time fan of the show was a girl that sounded early 20's was invited to talk on the commentaries. John was trying to flirt with her the whole time. Imagine...one of your beloved shows from when you were a kid, and the creator just wants to bang you.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You're right, just imagine :kimchi:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

(E: can't remember if it's been posted yet) Bloodhound Gang wrote a song that's entirely Ralph-related quotes back in the day.

"Ralph Wiggum"

Found it years ago from a YTMND that matches clips with the song (starts loud): http://ralphwiggum.ytmnd.com/

Fanart youtube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DQIprqgTGQ

Backweb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 13, 2017

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

Even on the DVD's of Ren and Stimpy, a long-time fan of the show was a girl that sounded early 20's was invited to talk on the commentaries. John was trying to flirt with her the whole time. Imagine...one of your beloved shows from when you were a kid, and the creator just wants to bang you.

That's astounding

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

one of my favorite front page articles is bobservo writing a "where are they now?" column about early '90s icons. one of the profiles was about John K.:

quote:

The most disturbing thing about his blog is that it actually delivers interesting historical information, but it must be filtered through John K’s rose-tinted laser-guided Nostalgia Vision and his thinly-veiled flirtations with one of his female animators who is in her 20s, who he may or may not be loving (John K. please confirm this). Just do a CTRL+F for “Katie” and you will find such preceding words as “Goddess,” “cute girl artist” and “the only person to know more about Huckleberry Hound than me.”
:stonk:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Wicker Man posted:

I know, it actually kind of ruined the show for me until I remembered he sucked so bad at his job that they fired his rear end after season 1. Like he is such a cretin on those commentary tracks that my husband and I just looked at one another in disgust and turned it off.

one of my favorite front page articles is bobservo writing a "where are they now?" column about early '90s icons. one of the profiles was about John K.:

:stonk:

John K, who is so incredibly pretentious about animation, also has a megaboner for Ralph Bakshi whose claim to fame is literally tracing poo poo.

E: :laffo: yes, that write up on him is pro-tier

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 13, 2017

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
When Futurama debuted and was way better than the Simpsons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I'd accuse you of ruining Ren and Stimpy for me, if John K hadn't already ruined them with that loving Spike TV revival.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

PostNouveau posted:

I'd accuse you of ruining Ren and Stimpy for me, if John K hadn't already ruined them with that loving Spike TV revival.

gently caress my life that was so bad. I was 14 and so excited for it. I don't even think I finished the first episode. Lol Spike had some real animated stinkers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Backweb posted:

(E: can't remember if it's been posted yet) Bloodhound Gang wrote a song that's entirely Ralph-related quotes back in the day.

"Ralph Wiggum"

Found it years ago from a YTMND that matches clips with the song (starts loud): http://ralphwiggum.ytmnd.com/

Fanart youtube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DQIprqgTGQ
it's a shame that song consists partially of Retard Ralph quotes

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't John K try to say "they told me to make it as raunchy as possible, so I did!" regarding the Adult Party Cartoon? When they obviously meant something like Adult Swim material, not homoerotic gay fantasies or whatever it was.

John K also condemns any animation where the characters aren't breaking model every few frames with a new expression, regardless of the writing or content.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gently caress my life that was so bad. I was 14 and so excited for it. I don't even think I finished the first episode. Lol Spike had some real animated stinkers.

You know something must be embarrassing if even all of us as teens thought it was too edgelordy.

It's still fine to enjoy R&S since John K. actually had surprisingly little to do with all the good poo poo. Bob Camp was responsible for most of the good content.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 13, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John K being a creep is sad, but even the tame-ish Nickelodeon seasons paint the picture pretty clearly.

It's not nearly as bad as Doug Tennappel, beloved creator of Earthworm Jim and brilliant comic book author, is actually a racist MRA homophobe. Like Everything about Earthworm Jim suggests that you are funny, smart, and talented, Doug, why you gotta be the worst kind of person?

I'm glad Matt Groening never came out as a scumbag.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Ralph Bakshi's stuff is cool. Give me rotoscoping over Flash motion tweening any day

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's still fine to enjoy R&S since John K. actually had surprisingly little to do with all the good poo poo.

He was heavily involved with seasons 1 and 2 and those are noticeably better than the ones from after he was fired, so I'll give him that. But you can only imagine how much stuff Nickelodeon had to shoot down if that was what they allowed.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Ralph Bakshi's stuff is cool. Give me rotoscoping over Flash motion tweening any day

I watched that Flight of Dragons movie with John Ritter voice acting as a kid a couple times, it sucked a loving nutsack.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I don't dislike it, it's just that as someone noted above, John K would piss himself over reusing any facial expressions while he was fawning over Bakshis rotoscoping. Ironic.
American Pop is a decent film though.

Bust Rodd posted:

John K being a creep is sad, but even the tame-ish Nickelodeon seasons paint the picture pretty clearly.

It's not nearly as bad as Doug Tennappel, beloved creator of Earthworm Jim and brilliant comic book author, is actually a racist MRA homophobe. Like Everything about Earthworm Jim suggests that you are funny, smart, and talented, Doug, why you gotta be the worst kind of person?

I'm glad Matt Groening never came out as a scumbag.

I recall learning this and it was crappy indeed. Sometimes I just don't bother looking into the personal opinions of people I admire for that exact reason.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 13, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that article implies that he really hates Animaniacs, is there any reason why?

Bust Rodd posted:

i think The Neverhood is a better expression of TenNapel's creative spark, but i feel you

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

that article implies that he really hates Animaniacs, is there any reason why?

It was pretty much the opposite of Ren and Stimpy- well-written, well-animated and critically acclaimed, so you can see how that would be annoying to him. Also it's Spielberg so maybe something something Jews???

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cool new Polack jokes posted:

It was pretty much the opposite of Ren and Stimpy- well-written, well-animated and critically acclaimed, so you can see how that would be annoying to him. Also it's Spielberg so maybe something something Jews???
god i hope the latter isn't true

tbh i wasn't much of a Ren & Stimpy guy as a kid. any episode that didn't have the John K screen after the title was going to be way too heavy on gross-out stuff. the first two seasons had the right combination of grossness and charm. even then i liked Rocko more

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nothing will ever top this guest director:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SgweHRbtVk

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you want to hear all the ren and stimpy drama first hand theres nothing better than this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GrlpSr9YqU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
A friend told me long ago that ren and stimpy was based on john K's homosexual relationship with an old boyfriend, I had no idea he was straight. Interesting.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I never 'got' Ren and Stimpy and thought/think it was/is gross. I guess it was groundbreaking for a kids show but I was more of a Doug kid personally

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

facebook jihad posted:

I never 'got' Ren and Stimpy and thought/think it was/is gross. I guess it was groundbreaking for a kids show but I was more of a Doug kid personally

Well, at the time this was the appeal to me, it was just so weird and gross and we didn't have the internet back then to fulfill our weird and gross quota, sooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I really like stupid, cruel gross-out humor and ugly animation and all the other things that Ren and Stimpy stands for, but I never saw it when I was a kid so it just seems like boring tryhard garbage to me. The takes are loving weak and wimpy yet dragged out and it boggles my mind that John K is always going on about how much he admires old cartoons with insanely twisty, satisfying split-second reactions from its characters, because when he does it it looks like he's drawing squished spiders one-handed. It's not that I FUCKIN HATE!!!!!!!!!!! ren and stimpy but even if you enjoy weird and gross poo poo it gets real stupid and annoying.