Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Survival is more fun when you're leveled up. Not being able to save makes it so you aren't able to save scum. Honestly I think save scumming really dampens the effect of it feeling like you're clawing tooth and nail to survive. Disabling fast travel is also valid as it creates more encounters. Although having to slog long distances repeatedly to the same place over and over again is stupid. So is losing 2 hours of careful gameplay to a single stupid mistake.

In my opinion being able to make more settlements and any of the many mods that allow you to travel between settlements alleviates this. This makes survival mode actually fun and corrects some frightfully frustrating things caused by vanilla mechanics.

Survival mode is a different beast and maybe it is for masochists. But all that pain really does pay off when your character is totally badass.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Ping ponging between the Commonwealth and Nukaworld just to report to the raider settlement quest giver in survival mode was NOT fun.

Stank of a rush job.

After you take your first settlement you can make him move to the commenwealth.

You still have to go back and forth for the leaders that give radiant quests.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Floppychop posted:

After you take your first settlement you can make him move to the commenwealth.

He only moves after you make the requisite 3 or so back and forth trips.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fwiw it's a pain in the dick even when you have fast travel enabled.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oh yeah for sure. It's an awful way to (almost) end the dlc, before the climactic event. Disastrous pacing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The big thing I like about Survival is having the crutches that I inevitably fall back on removed. Combat winds up being a lot more memorable since I'm trying whatever weird strategies I can to stack the odds in my favor since I can't just immediately revive myself at the start if I die. I wind up using a lot more of the tools at my disposal and start moving through encounters methodically to limit the danger I'm in, which also makes things like power armor a lot more intense because the contrast between the on foot combat and armored combat is more clearly defined.

You also don't really get a sense of how many little interesting things are scattered around the world when you rely heavily on fast travel and you only ever really explore the vicinity of a few key locations. It's a cool feeling learning the map and locations of little unmarked encounters by heart and being able to navigate without even pulling up your pip boy. I still wish the loot was a little less randomized so looting felt a bit less homogeneous from area to area, but nothing's perfect.

Survival is more about the journey than the destination, more about the exploration and decision making than completing objectives. While it's pretty heavily flawed, as everything Bethesda touches is, the lack of saving and fast travel are pretty key to the experience they're trying to convey and I think they got it more right than wrong.

gently caress infection that slowly kills you while you scramble to find antibiotics or a doctor, that poo poo sucks.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've got my survival settings tweaked to 2x/2x damage, 75% thirst/hunger rate, companions auto heal (though I run solo), auto saves on level up and on zone transitions. For travel I have one of those immersive fast travel mods that takes me from settlement to settlement, and I have salvage beacons for returning loot.

My playthrough that I'm currently on is really fun. I'm running around desperately trying to get the scrap to build a huge settlement at the drive in, setting off on multi game day expeditions and only returning when I get a power armor frame.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Game of the Year edition announced. Spend $99 and you can get a pip boy with it.

Still not expecting a price drop on the DLC anytime soon.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Has anyone found out what chinese factory they source that to so you can just get it directly from there?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
the lack of fast travel is so that you actually have a reason to bother with the stupid vertibird crap.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Game of the Year edition announced. Spend $99 and you can get a pip boy with it.

Still not expecting a price drop on the DLC anytime soon.

Is this a plastic thing you shove an IPhone into? Or do it actually Do Stuff?

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
What does your heart tell you?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Guiness13 posted:

What does your heart tell you?

My heart tells me it's a magical thing that can play music, send email, and point the way to the nearest pot dealer. My common sense, however, tells me it's a cheap piece of poo poo.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Well, you got there in the end. That's what counts.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gynovore posted:

My heart tells me it's a magical thing that can play music, send email, and point the way to the nearest pot dealer. My common sense, however, tells me it's a cheap piece of poo poo.

Not for 99 dollars in any universe

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Is this a plastic thing you shove an IPhone into? Or do it actually Do Stuff?

You shove a phone in there (hopefully it fits!) and use the app. There's also a bluetooth one that was $200 I think lmao.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Skeezy posted:

You shove a phone in there (hopefully it fits!) and use the app. There's also a bluetooth one that was $200 I think lmao.

Are these the same Pipboys that were considered a disappointing, fragile piece of crap at launch?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Are these the same Pipboys that were considered a disappointing, fragile piece of crap at launch?

Yes, and I'm still a bit confused as to what people expected from poo poo and tat in a game collector's edition. They're all pretty much cheap crap and never worth the extra money.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Magmarashi posted:

pretty much cheap crap and never worth the extra money.

Hello new thread title. :haw:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Hello, I'm new to the thread and about to ask something that is probably obvious.

Now that the survival mode has been in for ages and maybe not some sort of beta feature I decided to finally try it because I was sad that Fallout 4 dropped the hunger/thirst/fatigue mechanics that New Vegas put in.

Having dabbled for a few hours I like the look of everything except the save restriction because I keep dying abruptly and losing big chunks of progress because I couldn't find a drat sleeping bag in time. Frankly, it pisses me off because this is almost giving me the game I wanted, then shoving a middle finger in my face and telling me settle with the less interesting vanilla game or to put up with replaying the same 20+ minute section over and over.

Long story short, is there a mod or something that let's me save the drat game and keep the other survival features? Because that would be nice. Apologies for being a filthy casual.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yes

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I use a mod called "Rulebreaker", which lets you tweak Survival a dozen ways. In particular, you can turn fast travel back on.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Gynovore posted:

I use a mod called "Rulebreaker", which lets you tweak Survival a dozen ways. In particular, you can turn fast travel back on.

Cheers I'll look it up.

I avoid fast travel the vast majority of the time, I prefer to wander. I just resent repeating the same chunk of game because I couldn't find a save point.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ugleb posted:

Cheers I'll look it up.

I avoid fast travel the vast majority of the time, I prefer to wander. I just resent repeating the same chunk of game because I couldn't find a save point.

I like Survival, but not letting the player save at will was an amazingly stupid idea. We're talking "land war in Asia" levels of stupid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The lack of regular save is one reason i haven't tried Survival, given how crash happy the game has been for me.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'm on my phone so I can't find/link it, but there is a very good Nexus mod that gives you an auto save item that you can bind to a key and use as often as you'd like.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12262/

Sleep or Save lets you save without sleeping at a mattress, and if you combine it with this camping mod you're good to go:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12511

The settlements don't work with Sim Settlements, but you can use it for just camping to lay down a bedroll as needed without being a straight autosave.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm surprised nobody has done a mod to just place more beds or mattresses around. Maybe there is one and I can't find it but it would be a good idea. Generally I like that mechanic but since the world wasn't built with it in mind you can sometimes find yourself in a long stretch without anywhere to save.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Mattress saving isn't that bad, they're in way more places than you think. You actually have a reason to return to the Combat Zone sometimes, its kinda neat.

The fast travel limit is much worse, as is the 'areas take two months to respawn' which basically means a lot of walking through empty areas just to dump loot or turn in quests.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Mattress saving isn't that bad, they're in way more places than you think. You actually have a reason to return to the Combat Zone sometimes, its kinda neat.

The fast travel limit is much worse, as is the 'areas take two months to respawn' which basically means a lot of walking through empty areas just to dump loot or turn in quests.

The Rulebreaker mod appears to let you alter respawn rates.

I now have mine set to autosave every 10mins and on area transitions which feels like a good balance.

Not sure yet if I should tweak the incoming/dealt damage or not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How would War of the Commonwealth interact with that? I presume its respawn rates would trump Survival modes.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I loved every second of my unmodded survival playthrough (after I crafted armor so I didn't instantly die from molotov cocktails, that part is rough). Did everything, including all DLCs and all possible faction endings. Highly recommended if you want an immersive Fallout 4 experience.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh, I had a weird moment with the Boston Library yesterday. I walked in the back entrance, and exploring the whole library found...no mutants! While I was exploring, I approached the regular entrance (the one with lion statues) and suddenly super mutants started pouring in in waves. I has some heavy duty heavy weapons to unload on them, and was backed up by companions thanks to a multiple companion mod, but they just kept coming. For about two and a half minutes super mutants of all stripes and power levels streamed in and stormed up the stairs only to die under a hail of gunfire. The floor was caked in mutant gore and corpses by the end.

It was out of nowhere but thrilling as all get out. And it just made me wish there was some kind of actual horde or "Orcs Muties Must Die" mode in the game so I could do it all over again.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder if any of the mods you had, or if something else broke the scripting on the mission there. Once you do get to the barricades at the end there's a period where you need to fend off several waves of Super Mutants who were trying to attack some scavengers recovering data.

Was it the first time you were in the library for that play through?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It was, and I regularly run War of the Commonwealth and Super Mutant Redux, so those might have interacted with it.

But still, more set-pieces like that, especially planned, would be awesome. I wonder if there's a mod that gives you an interior area to defend and just pours mutants or ghouls at you. If I had had some warning, I might have actually had the chance to use some of land mines, which are otherwise just vendor fodder to me.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 14, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
i agree real effort for their setpieces would have been good

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

i agree real effort for their setpieces would have been good

Lawl

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Why is everything so bland? Why voice the main character when he is the most boring person imaginable? Why do all my companions get mad when i pick anything other than the goody two shoes line? Why do the radio stations have so few songs? Why is Preston Garvey making me the boss of the minutemen after knowing me for thirty seconds? Why tie everything in to my son who I personally do not give a poo poo about?

The engine is really good. Combat is pretty good, modding is decent, workshops are not really my thing, but they're well done. Not having skill points was good, though I find a lot of the perks to be boring. The setting is okay, though I much prefer the desert settings of 1/2/New Vegas. They were so, so close to a really great game.

Fallout New Vegas in this engine would be amazing.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bethesda for the gameplay, Obsidian for the story and setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Reality Winner posted:

Why is everything so bland? Why voice the main character when he is the most boring person imaginable? Why do all my companions get mad when i pick anything other than the goody two shoes line? Why do the radio stations have so few songs? Why is Preston Garvey making me the boss of the minutemen after knowing me for thirty seconds? Why tie everything in to my son who I personally do not give a poo poo about?

The engine is really good. Combat is pretty good, modding is decent, workshops are not really my thing, but they're well done. Not having skill points was good, though I find a lot of the perks to be boring. The setting is okay, though I much prefer the desert settings of 1/2/New Vegas. They were so, so close to a really great game.

Fallout New Vegas in this engine would be amazing.

Honestly I don't think they were all that close to greatness. The engine felt super dated to me, even if the graphics have improved over the years as they've updated/renamed Gamebryo,. I think with the protagonist and plot they were kind of stuck with the worst of both worlds in terms of not being generic enough to just be an open world sandbox with no rails but also not having enough personality to justify much else. I even got sick of exploring, since all the buildings ended up feeling irritating to me because of convoluted maze-like designs. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the setting on an aesthetic level overall, but not being able to create anything that didn't look like total poo poo even in the workshop seemed to kind of defeat the purpose of having it present a world that's rebuilding. This isn't a hate review, because I did have fun with the game (or I wouldn't have played it all the way through); it's just not something I remember all that fondly.

Overall, I think the biggest problem the game had was probably that it was a follow up to both their version of the setting in 3 and Obsidian's more interesting (to me, by far) version of it in New Vegas. Obviously they tried to fuse the parts together, I think it's also clear that they weren't really able to do it. I do appreciate their aspirations,, I guess? I will say that I was feeling pretty burned out by the time I played Far Harbor, but I still thought it was a better experience overall. I kind of think that's another point in the favor of New Vegas being the better Fallout though, since it was also smaller and more focused, and there's probably a limit on how far Bethesda's going to be willing to go with that for one of their major open world releases. I don't think the next Elder Scrolls or Fallout games will be automatic plays for me going forward, because at this point I do think I want that narrative focus.

• Locked thread