Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope the next Battlogue is Fa vs. Noredo

In a shocking twist they're both defeated by Sochie in a Kapool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chiasaur11 posted:

In a shocking twist they're both defeated by Sochie in a Kapool.

Make this the shocking twist in every episode pls and thank you.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

I liked the ending. The characters reject war and then they go do different things that make sense for their character arcs.

except Noredo. Poor Noredo.

I'd personally argue that Aida's ending doesn't make a huge amount of sense for her arc either. It does make some sense, but I don't think it's properly capped. Much of the show is her trying to take action as a pilot while others scold her before the final 5 or 6 episodes have people pushing her twice to take command (her father and Donel both do), with her breaking in to tears with Steer that she can't do it when Donel urges her to and then she never confronts this responsibility and comes to terms with it one way or another in the finale, but is just chilling on the bridge of the Megafauna in the epilogue. She presumably decided she not only couldn't take that responsibility but didn't want to, which is fine, but she never does it on screen. And then she's presumably some kind of ambassador or something in the epilogue. It's okay, but it'd have been much stronger if she realized she wasn't a good fit for command (or as a front line soldier) and that she preferred being an ambassador or whatever, before taking that place in the epilogue.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I found anyone besides Bellri's particularly satisfying. Luin's makes sense, but just doesn't feel cathartic, Klims is funny but not particularly satisfying and I don't even remember what Raraiya's was.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
you gotta remember that characters in G-Reco are not the most reliable source of information about themselves. Aida might turn down command when it's offered, but it's offered because she's basically already in command. Aida just unilaterally declares the final battle over and orders everyone to start helping survivors. She just kinda naturally takes control of situations, it's who she is. At the beginning Aida is very influenced by her boyfriend who gets fridged, she wants to be a tough frontline soldier fighting against the corrupt Capital like him. But the world isn't like that, Aida isn't really soldier material, and her natural personality as a leader comes to the forefront.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I liked the ending. The characters reject war and then they go do different things that make sense for their character arcs.

except Noredo. Poor Noredo.

I didn't think it felt earned, though. Bellri in particular seemed to regress more than he matured over the course of the show, and Aida didn't really give enough evidence of her leadership abilities to make it plausible that she might be able to pull the world back from the brink. Compare, say, IBO, where the Dort miracle meant that when Kudelia disappeared into a boardroom in the finale, you could be confident that she would indeed save Mars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I didn't think it felt earned, though. Bellri in particular seemed to regress more than he matured over the course of the show, and Aida didn't really give enough evidence of her leadership abilities to make it plausible that she might be able to pull the world back from the brink. Compare, say, IBO, where the Dort miracle meant that when Kudelia disappeared into a boardroom in the finale, you could be confident that she would indeed save Mars.

I wouldn't use IBO as an example there where you have to go back to a single pretty forced scene in the first season to find an example of Kudelia feeling meaningful. I absolutely never felt they managed to sell the character they way they wanted, especially after Season 2 basically wanted to pretend she didn't exist.

Edit: Aida has issues too but honestly this is part of Gundam's long-rear end recent trend to "this character is incredibly important because of their political abilities buuuut we're not really interested in selling that" issues.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 7, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't use IBO as an example there where you have to go back to a single pretty forced scene in the first season to find an example of Kudelia feeling meaningful.

I was referring to the first season finale in Edmonton, when she strolled off with Makanai. Dort led into that pretty smoothly.

In the second season finale, meanwhile, it specifically wasn't earned, which was why she was presented as a puppet of Rustal, complete with a nod to the infamous handshake between MacArthur and Hirohito. I suppose you could see a bit of that in the G-Reco finale, with Aida trying on a coat that's literally too big for her, but the general tone of that ending didn't lean anywhere near as cynical.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

you gotta remember that characters in G-Reco are not the most reliable source of information about themselves. Aida might turn down command when it's offered, but it's offered because she's basically already in command. Aida just unilaterally declares the final battle over and orders everyone to start helping survivors. She just kinda naturally takes control of situations, it's who she is. At the beginning Aida is very influenced by her boyfriend who gets fridged, she wants to be a tough frontline soldier fighting against the corrupt Capital like him. But the world isn't like that, Aida isn't really soldier material, and her natural personality as a leader comes to the forefront.

Is that a command though? My recollection is that Bellri and Luin basically take each other's suits out, most of the ships and all the high command of each side is already taken out, there's few forces left in any faction and all the fighting has already stopped; at which point she steps in and goes "okay guys, the fighting is done, let's help each other out". It seems more of a political statement than a command to me. Which makes sense, because she seems more a politician than a commander, but again, I feel leaves her arc kind of flapping loose and never quite coming together properly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I was referring to the first season finale in Edmonton, when she strolled off with Makanai. Dort led into that pretty smoothly.

In the second season finale, meanwhile, it specifically wasn't earned, which was why she was presented as a puppet of Rustal, complete with a nod to the infamous handshake between MacArthur and Hirohito. I suppose you could see a bit of that in the G-Reco finale, with Aida trying on a coat that's literally too big for her, but the general tone of that ending didn't lean anywhere near as cynical.

I'd say the Rustal bit was also pretty well set up.

Whole season makes a point of showing that Kudelia is both an accepted part of the political system (unlike the first season) and willing to make deals with people she finds morally repellent to achieve her ends. Poor setup for Kudelia as revolutionary leader shaking off Gjallarhorn on her own, but a pretty logical lead-in for her as an acceptable compromise between Gjallarhorn's interests and those of Mars.

(I'm also not sure I'd quite call her a puppet, although that imagery definitely isn't for show. I guess if I had to put it in metaphorical terms, I'd say she's someone who, while she won't always make the moves Rustal wants, can be trusted not to upset the board. But then, we've disagreed before on just how cynical the show is within the agreed on "pretty loving cynical" range.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPEmneAJbIk

Ten minute preview of Origin Episode 5.

Only the Federation would blast your truck apart with a gatling gun BEFORE demanding you surrender.

Also, Eve of Destiny is being run on Gundaminfo, dubbed or otherwise.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 11, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/896108362709966848

REDUUUUUUUB

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/896105180340473856

Thread with cast

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

redo the whole show so it isn't so incredibly ugly

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jeeze who wants another dub of SEED and Desti...wait Cherami Leigh as Cagalli? Can't wait to hear the new SEED and Destiny dub.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

Jeeze who wants another dub of SEED and Desti...wait Cherami Leigh as Cagalli? Can't wait to hear the new SEED and Destiny dub.

Please let Mark Oliver still be Rau La Creuset :ohdear:.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

redo the whole show so it isn't so incredibly ugly

Yeah, the dub isn't the worst part of Seed

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
...Why? Did I miss something?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I have no idea why they're doing this, though I guess SEED HD Remaster has no dub. However, this is a loving phenomenal cast so far from what's been announced so I'm pretty hype.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well it looks like the IBO crew, so then I ask, how was the IBO dub?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do actual dubs of other shows while you're at it. Let this seed redub give you the cash to do a turn A or build fighters dub

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The IBO dub is excellent and all on Youtube. While some of the casting was a little weird the actual performances are excellent.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please let Mark Oliver still be Rau La Creuset :ohdear:.

Replacing dub Rau is a crime.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Replacing dub Rau is a crime.
:agreed:

Also, I have to chuckle at Dearka going from Brad Swaile to Johnny Yong Bosch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

...Why? Did I miss something?

This is for the HD remaster, which had new/changed/edited/redone scenes and thus can't use the old dub.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

This is for the HD remaster, which had new/changed/edited/redone scenes and thus can't use the old dub.

Not to mention the Blitz Gundam accidentally falling on a sword instead of it being a tragic defensive reflex on Kira's part.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tae posted:

Well it looks like the IBO crew, so then I ask, how was the IBO dub?

I only listened to a couple of episodes to see how it was (because yuck, dubs) but from those two episodes it was actually really good, surprisingly so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the weakest dub for a Gundam show is 0083, and even that has a pretty good overall cast. Really, Gundam dubs are really, really good even when ocean dumps the job onto their budget Blue Water studio. These new NYAV dubs have all been excellent so I don't see the trend ending anytime soon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think the weakest dub for a Gundam show is 0083, and even that has a pretty good overall cast. Really, Gundam dubs are really, really good even when ocean dumps the job onto their budget Blue Water studio. These new NYAV dubs have all been excellent so I don't see the trend ending anytime soon.

00 wasn't fantastic. They really needed a better adaptive script. Scott McNeill's Ali was pretty great, though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ali AL Sanchez single handedly makes the 00 dub a must for me, tbh

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
0083 was released in the states way back before even the VHS movie trilogy right? I remember seeing VHS tapes if it long ago but they might have just been subbed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I still have the 0083 VHS tapes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
0083 is a very old dub based on the pronunciation of Kycillia alone.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I still have the 0083 VHS tapes

I have the first one, a pack in from Bandai USA's first incarnation Anime Village with a Wing DVD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/896518759845908480

THIS HAND OF MINE BURNS IN 1080P!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh hell yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/896517598128603141

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For some reason I'm having flashbacks of browsing through Suncoast as I pick up yet another DVD volume of Gundam wing

3 episodes for 30 dollars each

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Does it come with a stick of dynamite to blow the box up? This is important.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The box comes pre-equipped with a self-detonate button. All it does is set off a big flash and fray the edges off the box in an aesthetically pleasing manner though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ohshit, might be worth it just for Frozen Teardrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ohshit, might be worth it just for Frozen Teardrop.

Isn't that just a ten minute audio drama?