Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Ishin posted:

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/896221007740100608 This seems like a completely dickbag, if not unsurprising, move by White.

That punch 9 secs in is pretty satisfying tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This would be great if mcg could last to the 12th round against may, then he might be able to land that shot.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That punch 9 secs in is pretty satisfying tbh

All the punches after that seemed way too casual. Like he was just goofing around.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah conor will land a punch.

On the most evasive boxer of our generation? Nah.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

On the most evasive boxer of our generation? Nah.

It's wierd how Malinaggi gets hit. He's kind of just standing there in the Philly crab not doing anything. And then just gets nailed.

I also think that it's kind of ridiculous for the McGreggor camp to be releasing photos of sparring sessions. For one, if they really cared about winning they would keep it all under wraps and not let anybody know if McGreggor is progressing or not. Then at the real fight he can catch Mayweather by surprise.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tesilential posted:

I've been a mcgregor supporter for years and I think mayweather is dreadful but I've coming around to wanting money to win....like I think he may be the better person lol.

I dunno about Floyd being the better person...

Vladimir Putin posted:

not let anybody know if McGreggor is progressing or not. Then at the real fight he can catch Mayweather by surprise.
Everyone Mayweather has faced has boxed for years. There's nothing that Conor can do in a few months that will significantly elevate or enhance his game.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Everyone Mayweather has faced has boxed for years. There's nothing that Conor can do in a few months that will significantly elevate or enhance his game.

You don't think at least eight hours a day and having a dedicated team of people work towards studying film developing techniques and daydreaming poo poo in general like it's their only job in the world because it literally is, you don't think those thousands of hours of accumulated manpower won't significantly elevate or enhance your game?

If you'd asked me a year ago what the odds of Conor getting a fight with Floyd Mayweather were and then his odds of winning that hypothetical fight, I'd give it to be much more likelie r that he doesn't get that fight in the first place. But now that fight js here, and we're forced to confront ourselves with the fact that the impossible, is merely highly unlikely.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Paulie Malinaggi's the dude who can't punch hard at all because his hands are basically breadsticks held together with skin, right?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Disgusting Coward posted:

Paulie Malinaggi's the dude who can't punch hard at all because his hands are basically breadsticks held together with skin, right?

I mean Floyd isn't really known for his power either. Most of the time he punches you in the face 500 times with stunning accuracy and in that way rearranges his opponent's face. I think the last KO he got by punching Hatton into the ring structure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

You don't think at least eight hours a day and having a dedicated team of people work towards studying film developing techniques and daydreaming poo poo in general like it's their only job in the world because it literally is, you don't think those thousands of hours of accumulated manpower won't significantly elevate or enhance your game?

It will make Conor a better boxer, but it won't really make a difference against someone who has spent ages training at a different level.

Floyd's style is not one that really allows the possibility of getting caught with an unorthodox wild punch. He did get decked by Mosley, and tied him up real good to wait it out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gay Horney posted:

What do you think Floyd's other opponents, all professional boxers, were doing with their time?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Vladimir Putin posted:

I mean Floyd isn't really known for his power either. Most of the time he punches you in the face 500 times with stunning accuracy and in that way rearranges his opponent's face. I think the last KO he got by punching Hatton into the ring structure.

He knocked out Victor Ortiz in 2011 in a bizarre fight where Ortiz was penalized for an intentional headbutt, the referee restarted the fight and Ortiz tried to apologize but had his hands down so Mayweather clocked him and knocked him silly.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
FloydMayweather is 40 years old

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Floyd is also doing this, but has been at it for longer

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Floyd is also doing this, but has been at it for longer

Show me the twenty years worth of tape on Mac.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They show Floyd's fight tapes to all the pro boxers he's faced. PBF does the same thing in every fight -- plays it safe and defensive until he figures out the openings. For Conor, the openings will be not being able to read low-telegraph boxing punches.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

kimbo305 posted:

It will make Conor a better boxer, but it won't really make a difference against someone who has spent ages training at a different level.

Floyd's style is not one that really allows the possibility of getting caught with an unorthodox wild punch. He did get decked by Mosley, and tied him up real good to wait it out.

I think if you spend a lifetime training against conventional boxers it does make you succeptible to unorthodox styles.

Mayweather can definitely take a shot and stay in the fight. He's been hit pretty hard before and he can take it and knows how to recover.

I remember when Mayweather wore a sombrero and poncho into his fight with de la Hoya. I wonder if he will dress like a leprechaun or something.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Ah yes, how could i forget, the tapes of mayweather that show him winking and shaking his had before each punch like one of the punch out opponents, its a wonder nobody else has tried to memorize these patterns like our very own little mac will be

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think if you spend a lifetime training against conventional boxers it does make you succeptible to unorthodox styles.

In the spectrum of boxing styles, Conor will have neither unusual punch choice nor unexpected or hard to read timing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gay Horney posted:

Not when your game's goal is defeating Mayweather, no.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ah yes, how could i forget, the tapes of mayweather that show him winking and shaking his had before each punch like one of the punch out opponents, its a wonder nobody else has tried to memorize these patterns like our very own little mac will be

That would be a fantastic nickname going forward if he miraculously knocks out Mayweather. He should be chasing a bicycling coach Kavanagh wearing pink sweats with the statue of liberty in the background.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gay Horney posted:

Ah yes, his real advantage is that he's never actually done this before, good call.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Floyd needs to lose so that dipshit that put down an $880k bet on him loses his money.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Turns out all you have to do is watch tape, game plan, and train full-time to beat your opponent in boxing, I wonder if anybody else has tried this yet

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
*watches 20 years of tape on floyd mayweather jr* i've got it. the trick is to punch him without being punched. do that.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

chaleski posted:

Turns out all you have to do is watch tape, game plan, and train full-time to beat your opponent in boxing, I wonder if anybody else has tried this yet

Don't forget wait til they qualify for retirement benefits

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

*watches 20 years of tape on floyd mayweather jr* i've got it. the trick is to punch him without being punched. do that.

I've noticed that nobdody has ever really hit him really hard before, try that

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

Floyd Mayweather wasn't terminally old two years ago when he fought an actual professional boxer and won easily, but now he is decrepit and faded.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gay Horney posted:

Benefit me by retiring from posting.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

big money big clit posted:

Floyd Mayweather wasn't terminally old two years ago when he fought an actual professional boxer and won easily, but now he is decrepit and faded.

When you're that age two years actually is a bit of a long time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Vladimir Putin posted:

When you're that age two years actually is a bit of a long time.

*looks at Bernard Hopkins*

ehh

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm pretty sure Mayweather could fight for several more years and go on a horrible Gary Goodridge-esque KO losing spree and he would still run right through Conor

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

I remember when Mayweather wore a sombrero and poncho into his fight with de la Hoya. I wonder if he will dress like a leprechaun or something.

Definitely one of the greatest ringwalks of all time. I hope and pray he matches it

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Marching Powder posted:

it owrked for nate diaz

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've noticed that nobdody has ever really hit him really hard before, try that

Everyone else lost, maybe try winning?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The secret, right? I figured it out. Be better at fighting than him. No one else has thought of that.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I mean, Floyd is probably gonna school Conor. But...

What if he doesn't?

I'd rather live in the world where Conor somehow manages to pull it off. That world is really fuckin' funny.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Has Paulie turned into a corncob yet?

He had nothing to gain by attending that training camp so a hearty rip to him.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Floyd manletweather has bit off more than he can chew in this one, Connor McGregor is too young, skilled, and powerful. And much bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Has Floyd fought anyone Conor's size?

• Locked thread