Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JailTrump posted:

If your son is this bad you're responsible.

I get it, there probably were signs. I have a lot more sympathy for a case like the parents of one of the Columbine shooters (I forget which one), they realized early on their kid had serious issues and they did everything reasonably possible to get him help. Lots of therapy, drugs, etc.

Unfortunately for them their kid was a sociopath, and all therapy did was teach him how to convincingly act normal, and he faked getting better. The parents thought he was getting better up until the shooting. I really feel sorry for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Dogwood Fleet posted:

At the same time, we're reminiscing about GBS' greatest hits. There were some amazing threads, but there was always a ton of garbage that came with it.

These days I don't even bother to look there.

Pretty sure I once saw a chart showing a major decline in visits to SA right after the rule change in GBS (October 2013 I think?). I think a decent number of people went even further than you and just stopped coming to SA altogether after GBS went to poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
People are complicated and parents don't get to design their children or simply decide what kind of person they'll become and what their influences will be.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of political murders, how is Steve Scalise doing?

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

People are complicated and parents don't get to design their children or simply decide what kind of person they are and what their influences will be.

If my child becomes a Nazi I will literally loving end him.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Like tulsi gabbard

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Did anyone find out if there was some kind of precipitating event for this? I can just as easily buy that the is not stable and just snapped because those goddamn libs wrecked their protest.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Pakled posted:

Yup. Plus once it became clear that the Michigan guy wasn't the one, they did this

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/896533144714833920

I personally feel like the Michigan guy has a lot of potential libel lawsuits he could be pursuing right now.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JailTrump posted:

If my child becomes a Nazi I will literally loving end him.

You will rationalize and deny and use any other number of defense mechanisms to protect yourself from believing something horrible about someone you love, just like everyone else does.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
epic internet bro: hey, remember all those times we got the wrong people by doing internet detective work? Well, you won't BELIEVE who we found to be the driver!!!

[2 seconds later]

haha whoops, how even. lol. ahhhh.... the internet is so weird lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FourLeaf posted:

Pretty sure I once saw a chart showing a major decline in visits to SA right after the rule change in GBS (October 2013 I think?). I think a decent number of people went even further than you and just stopped coming to SA altogether after GBS went to poo poo.

GBS was mostly ultra serious mega threads impossible to penetrate if you weren't in on the ground floor. Occasionally there were threads totally worth just the read but mostly not.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ive exterminated one of my spawn for such behavior and i likely will again. to be a good parent is to be merciless

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You will rationalize and deny and use any other number of defense mechanisms to protect yourself from believing something horrible about someone you love, just like everyone else does.

I do not love monsters.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I personally feel like the Michigan guy has a lot of potential libel lawsuits he could be pursuing right now.

Threads come across poorly, but:
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/896565538423427072
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/896565986907652096
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/896566363333967873
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/896566674765238272
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/896566978235711488

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Speculating as to the quanta of blame a parent has when their kids turn south is one of the more useless things you can do with your brain.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
A another good GBS thread.

Trolling that one regressive facebook ripoff, The Tea Party Community into dust.

The site's son even regged here multiple times to defend it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Red Baron posted:

Did anyone find out if there was some kind of precipitating event for this? I can just as easily buy that the is not stable and just snapped because those goddamn libs wrecked their protest.

i read somewhere that someone threw a rock at his car which, though not in any way an acceptable excuse for attempted mass murder, is a plausible event which could cause someone already seething to snap

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rigel posted:

I get it, there probably were signs. I have a lot more sympathy for a case like the parents of one of the Columbine shooters (I forget which one), they realized early on their kid had serious issues and they did everything reasonably possible to get him help. Lots of therapy, drugs, etc.

Unfortunately for them their kid was a sociopath, and all therapy did was teach him how to convincingly act normal, and he faked getting better. The parents thought he was getting better up until the shooting. I really feel sorry for them.

It's also easy to forget that this stuff really is a form of political radicalization and the causes of that are complex. It's entirely possible that this guy had nothing at all to do with far right politics even just a couple of years ago.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WampaLord posted:

:agreed:

I'm checking the Book of Nod.

:drac::hf::drac:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

JailTrump posted:

I do not love monsters.

You don't make decisions about who you love, that's like...what makes it love. If you raise a child who gets brainwashed by internet nazis or commits murder you can't just decide to stop loving them...I can't believe I'm even explaining this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PhazonLink posted:

A another good GBS thread.

Trolling that one regressive facebook ripoff, The Tea Party Community into dust.

The site's son even regged here multiple times to defend it.

That was my favorite.

It also gave us Hegel's piece of art where she carefully crafted a chillingly plausible fascist and got the locals to like him. :allears:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

FourLeaf posted:

I would've ditched SA then if I knew of a better alternative. The main reason I'm still here is that I never found one.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Randbrick posted:

Speculating as to the quanta of blame a parent has when their kids turn south is one of the more useless things you can do with your brain.

Hmmm.... no. No, I don't agree. I think its a very interesting and complicated topic, but we don't get to discuss it very often because we don't often have horrible front-page murderers under 21.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rigel posted:

Hmmm.... no. No, I don't agree. I think its a very interesting and complicated topic, but we don't get to discuss it very often because we don't often have horrible front-page murderers under 21.

Actually we have young adult mass murders like all the goddamn time :smug:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its been what, a few hours since they arrested this dude and the media already talked to his mom?

That was fast

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually we have young adult mass murders like all the goddamn time :smug:

lol, true.

OK, murders not sanctioned by the US government.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its been what, a few hours since they arrested this dude and the media already talked to his mom?

That was fast

young adults, being so recently children, tend to have a lot of easily discoverable attachments to their parents in public records

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

boner confessor posted:

i read somewhere that someone threw a rock at his car which, though not in any way an acceptable excuse for attempted mass murder, is a plausible event which could cause someone already seething to snap

This is 100% going to be the mainstream conservative attempt to dismiss this, that he was "provoked" or that he "feared for his life," a la the standard how to get cops off for murder defense.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
^ Jfc whites are giant loving pussies.

LOL master race is scared by a liddle pebble.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That was fast

Donnie has changed media soooo much that they now have full staffs for the weekend crew.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You don't make decisions about who you love, that's like...what makes it love. If you raise a child who gets brainwashed by internet nazis or commits murder you can't just decide to stop loving them...I can't believe I'm even explaining this

"You're dead to me can opener."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lightning Knight posted:

This is 100% going to be the mainstream conservative attempt to dismiss this, that he was "provoked" or that he "feared for his life," a la the standard how to get cops off for murder defense.

Luckily there's tons of video and photographic evidence showing this rear end in a top hat charging towards the protesters, even when he very clearly had a path away from them.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

bright side: subjectively, this is prolonging our lives

Bright side, if Mueller brings the dirt, there might be enough votes in congress to impeach now that he's gone 'too far' and good god it took them long enough to decide he crossed the line. Most people saw his first announcement where he called mexicans rapists and knew he was ebola incarnate.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 13, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Its literally going to be how his lawyer gets him out of the death penalty and LWOP. He'll probably also regale the jury with stories about how he was a good, kind kid 4 years ago, and those damned nazis on stormfront got to him, such a shame.

Its the obvious move for his defense, and his lawyer should be dismissed if he tries anything else. He isn't getting off, the goal on his side should be avoiding the needle and getting him out of prison before he turns 60.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ArfJason posted:

epic internet bro: hey, remember all those times we got the wrong people by doing internet detective work?

https://twitter.com/leftgear/status/896551455208988672

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

no i mean i dont subscribe because of this sort of thing

I think they have a lot of good journalism, far from perfect but *shrug*

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Paradoxish posted:

Luckily there's tons of video and photographic evidence showing this rear end in a top hat charging towards the protesters, even when he very clearly had a path away from them.

Oh I don't think he'll get away with it legally, but I think he'll be excused for it morally and politically by the public on the basis of "the mean protestors shouldn't have blocked the street/thrown rocks/made loud noise/existed."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Randbrick posted:

Not true. Look at Omar Khadr for example -- I'd argue the circumstances of his upbringing were 100% to blame for whatever actions he took. This guy? Who knows.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh I don't think he'll get away with it legally, but I think he'll be excused for it morally and politically by the public on the basis of "the mean protestors shouldn't have blocked the street/thrown rocks/made loud noise/existed."

Nah, it's going to be more like "history of mental troubles", "divorced parents", "impressionable youth", etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Grapplejack posted:

gently caress I totally forgot about that line from Ghorka too, and you've got the Bannon accusation Trump made earlier too. Monday's presser (if they have one) is going to be wild.

Monday is going to be far too late as all the Sunday think shows are going to be about nazis, Trump, and the GOP. It's ok though, SHuckS is going to read 2 letters from young white children and get very indignant about being asked why everyone is walking around with their right hand raised at 45 degrees.

empty whippet box posted:

Sadly it's just as likely to energize their base and help them win elections as it is to hurt them. It's not like republicans who supposedly aren't nazis haven't been aware of how incredibly racist and bigoted the party they vote for is and always has been. Not one person who votes republican is against racism, they might rather people be quieter about it than these nazis have been, but that's not the same as being against it.

No, most of the Republican base are convinced that they're totally not racist. They're not for it at all. Why Jerry at the office is a black guy and they're totally cool with him.

They're in total denial about being racist, and align with the Republican party for all the wonderful platform planks that they think will make them richer and let them feel safe. They live in a well insulated bubble that lets them continue to believe that they're good people working to make the world better. Overt racism is very troubling to them, even if the levels of racism it takes to be accepted as Overt are truly staggering.

Nazis though, that's textbook racist. Like, bubble bursting, totally not something nice people support, racist. Becoming the party of Nazis drives those people off, as a very important aspect of politics to them is being able to still be good, decent, nice people in the community. You can't gin up nice, fluffy, facades for horrible policies put forth by Nazis.

There just aren't enough Nazis and soulless money grubbing capitalists who don't care who they align with as long as it makes them a buck to win national elections. You need the nice, friendly, cultural Republicans who tell themselves they're doing god's work, or at least not offending him, if you want to win elections. I mean, you can't have Nazis on the PTA board or teaching Sunday School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Florida Betty posted:

Nah, it's going to be more like "history of mental troubles", "divorced parents", "impressionable youth", etc.

The actual take from the Nazis seems to be that he's (((not one of them))).

• Locked thread