Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Iretep posted:

9s probably has a long history of being a delinquent who breaks expencive flyers and wastes energy talking too much so command assigned two hard asses to tell him to shut up and follow protocol.

The entire current command structure of Yorha is designed around keeping the latest 9S model on task and actually doing his job. It's been questionably effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Beekeeping and You posted:

Thanks so much for this LP. It actually inspired me to get off my rear end and play the game, and lo and behold, this is me and my brother today!

see if you can spot my cat photobombing

You two got those costumes together in less than 3 months? That's impressive! Do y'all cosplay normally?

(Looking back on it, I realize 3 months is more than enough time, I'm just slow as poo poo getting my own costumes together)

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Solitair posted:

Yoko Taro is an old man in a wheelchair who is always just off camera and is never directly acknowledged but who's totally been there the whole time.

So how long until Yoko Taro and Kotaro Uchikoshi collab on a game?

...I'm not sure the world is ready for a Zero Escape game with those two working together.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010

Those boots, on the other hand, make me want to take a plane to japan solely to shake yoko taro until he designs female characters with sensible shoes
:eng101: Anemone, Jackass, Devola and Popola wear combat boots.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Donkringel posted:

You two got those costumes together in less than 3 months? That's impressive! Do y'all cosplay normally?

(Looking back on it, I realize 3 months is more than enough time, I'm just slow as poo poo getting my own costumes together)

Hah, Don't be too impressed. The big pieces-The dress and coat-Were from this ebay dude. ebay.com/itm/Anime-NieR-Automata-2b-Uniforms-Dress-Cosplay-Costume-S-XL-/122360436693
The masks and gloves were made, and the boots were from the thrift store.

blankd posted:

:eng101: Anemone, Jackass, Devola and Popola wear combat boots.

:saddowns: but the cover character...!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Thanks so much for this LP. It actually inspired me to get off my rear end and play the game, and lo and behold, this is me and my brother today!

see if you can spot my cat photobombing

is this the first time tdi inspired someone to do a cosplay

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kurtofan posted:

Depends on whether Yoko Taro ever heard about the previous LPs (and given the writing for Drakengard 3, it's likely).

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 12, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Paradroid was pretty decent I thought.

gently caress yeah. Get 999, then get wrecked

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

one more pic from anime convention, because its the best shirt ever made

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I want that shirt.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

The Dark Id posted:

Don’t be sure about that. Once we eradicate the machine lifeforms, us soldiers won’t have anything left to do. We’ll enter a new age of peace. And when that happens, we should go shopping together! I could buy you... I dunno. A T-shirt, maybe? Something that looks good on you.

one more pic from anime convention, because its the best shirt ever made

Umister
Dec 24, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Considering his LP introduced me to original nier, and I'll have some Devola + Popola photos to share with y'all in about 3 weeks, there's at least 2 of us out there.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I want that shirt.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I want that shirt.

white version: https://teespring.com/kill-em-all11945#pid=2&cid=2122&sid=front
black version: https://teespring.com/kill-em-all11945dark#pid=2&cid=2397&sid=front

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What does the Japanese text say?

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

What does the Japanese text say?

It's the same as it was on the original bootleg shirt. 鬼神 or guǐshén, translates to "spirits" or "supernatural beings" according to google.

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Seshoho Cian posted:

It's the same as it was on the original bootleg shirt. 鬼神 or guǐshén, translates to "spirits" or "supernatural beings" according to google.

The Japanese reading of the same kanji is kishin, which can translate to "fierce god" or "monster". The Fierce Deity mask in Majora's Mask, for example, was 鬼神の仮面 (kishin no kamen) in the original.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awwwww, the pods are so precious :3:

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I own that shirt I am in fact wearing it now. 100% recommend

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Know Such Peace posted:

21O dunks on 9S harder than 2B does.
I know 210 is a lot less popular than 6O but I gotta say I have a soft spot for her. Her VA does such a good job of clipped professionalism to a fault that 9S keeps trying (and failing) to break through. It's a good character dynamic and I think I like it a lot more than 6O's gushing about flowers and 2B's utter indifference.

Zerilan posted:

The entire current command structure of Yorha is designed around keeping the latest 9S model on task and actually doing his job. It's been questionably effective.

I see what you're doing there.

Bless you sir/madam.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

nope!!!!!! This is me back in 2014 (before Yoko Taro schooled me on the Emil head construction) on the way to Anime Central in Chicago. Here I am drunk on the CTA at 2AM in full regalia. My pal went as Kaine with me but I dont really feel comfortable uploading duo pics without asking her first because... that is certainly a costume--you can see a bit of her train appropriate edit reflected in the window though, haha.

I was only recognized by three people at the con at the time but they were all super thrilled to see Nier getting love, I feel like it might get a more bombastic reception now due to the wondrous and totally inexplicable recent mainstream success of Yoko Taro.

Lopside fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 13, 2017

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

It's a good thing I just woke up, because sir that is some quality nightmare fuel.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I know 210 is a lot less popular than 6O but I gotta say I have a soft spot for her. Her VA does such a good job of clipped professionalism to a fault that 9S keeps trying (and failing) to break through. It's a good character dynamic and I think I like it a lot more than 6O's gushing about flowers and 2B's utter indifference.

I kind of want there to be a version where the operators are switched and there's just long calls of 9S and 6O small talk about random poo poo constantly.

Umister
Dec 24, 2007

Holy poo poo, this is incredible.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lopside posted:

nope!!!!!! This is me back in 2014 (before Yoko Taro schooled me on the Emil head construction) on the way to Anime Central in Chicago. Here I am drunk on the CTA at 2AM in full regalia. My pal went as Kaine with me but I dont really feel comfortable uploading duo pics without asking her first because... that is certainly a costume--you can see a bit of her train appropriate edit reflected in the window though, haha.

I was only recognized by three people at the con at the time but they were all super thrilled to see Nier getting love, I feel like it might get a more bombastic reception now due to the wondrous and totally inexplicable recent mainstream success of Yoko Taro.

I'm so glad I saw this picture now, hungover, rather then when it was posted and drunk.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Lopside posted:

Awwww!

I feel like people who are not familiar with Nier have a hilariously different reaction to Emil than people who've played the games. Emil is the greatest and I will hear nothing against him. :3:

Yeah, I saw a surprising amount of Nier cosplay going on at Otakon this year. I hadn't realized how popular Nier Automata was; couldn't find a good prop version of Virtuous contract/treaty, though :argh:

I also saw a Kaine cosplayer who was really good. That is a ballsy cosplay.

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 13, 2017

AielloA
Dec 3, 2014
So, because I have absolutely no knowledge of N:A at all - are all future routes now playing as non-2B characters? Or do we get to go back to the flashy over-the-top combo action eventually?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

AielloA posted:

So, because I have absolutely no knowledge of N:A at all - are all future routes now playing as non-2B characters? Or do we get to go back to the flashy over-the-top combo action eventually?
Pretty sure discussing that would be a spoiler.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kamiya, founder and director of Platinum Games, tweeted that Nier Automata basically saved the studio:

quote:

Nier's success has to this point given Platinum a new fanbase, a growing staff, a brilliant success story, an increase in qualified job applicants, and a great favour. Normally, I can't help but do everything by myself... it's a pitiful story, but to say that Yoko-san saved Platinum would not be an exaggeration. I cannot thank him enough.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TurnipFritter posted:

Kamiya, founder and director of Platinum Games, tweeted that Nier Automata basically saved the studio:

:bisonyes:
And people say that Yoko Taro's stories are depressing :v:

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Maybe if they stop making nintendo exclusive games they would be doing better. I still want to try me some wonderful 101.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

idiotmeat posted:

Maybe if they stop making nintendo exclusive games they would be doing better. I still want to try me some wonderful 101.

Im pretty sure they are more of a small studio that does jobs as they are hired. So its not really their choice they make nintendo exclusives if its nintendo that hired them to do it. :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

idiotmeat posted:

Every year they've released a Nintendo-exclusive game they've also released a game on the normal consoles. 2009 had Mad World and Infinite Space released alongside Bayonetta, 2013 had The Wonderful 101 and Metal Gear Rising, 2014 had Bayonetta and The Legend of Korra, and 2016 had Star Fox Zero and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 13, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
They don't work on a basis of having a game and looking for a publisher. They're on a set contract most of the time

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TurnipFritter posted:

Aww! That settles it, I'm buying a PS4 and a brand new copy of Nier Automata. I have always loved Platinum and Yoko Taro is a wonderful person, but to see how well everything got together warms my frigid, black heart.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Holy gently caress, Platinum did Infinite Space? That game was my off-duty life for a 6 month underway and I've always wanted more of everything that game did.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012

Omobono posted:

:bisonyes:
And people say that Yoko Taro's stories are depressing :v:

We're only on sentence two of a depressing Weapon Story. We've yet to get to sentence three.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

idiotmeat posted:

That's not how that works. They're given a contract to make a game on nintendo's console, or they do no work.

Bayonetta 2 literally doesn't exist without Nintendo's funding.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

TurnipFritter posted:

Yoko Taro, famed director of Drakengard, saves Platinum Games from disapearing into obscurity. :psyduck: I don't even know anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Welcome to the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Seventeen.

• Locked thread