Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The latest Wrestlecircus show had a crowd that I was actually certain existed for the main event, which is a massive improvement from the past twitch ones.

I really loving wanted to stay for the main event where Strickland cashed in because I assumed it was going to happen, but it was such a long god drat night. Super frustrating. It's much easier to hang for a 4-hour show and still enjoy yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I was at the Wrestlerama show with Foley and the Dick Spot.

It was a really fun show.

Jordan Devlin b. Matt Cross

Good tight match. Jordan said he was jerking the curtain and that wasn't right, so he wanted a title match.

2Unlimited b. Jody Fleisch and Johhny Storm. One of 2Unlimited did a standing SSP off the back of the other unlimited, onto Johhny Storm and botched, and hit him in the side of the head. Johnny was loving pissed. This is like the third match 2 Unlimited have tried something (or more than 1 thing) and botched it.

Martina b. Katey Harvey for the Women's belt - Katey tried suplexing Martina onto my chairs, then Martina reversed it. Pretty incredible up close.

BSS defeated War Machine and Jeff Cobb- Really fun match. Kind of done with water spitting/WWE references although it's great when you are there. Kind of takes away from the match 'competition' feeling though.

Kings of the North beat CCK, retaining tag titles- Amazing match, love KOTN, and first time seeing Lykos. Unfortunately, Lykos hurt his arm in the home stretch. He seemed blase about it after, but he carried the injury into Revpro the next night. Still flipped off the top to the outside there.

Zack Gibson and Charlie Sterling def. The Lads from the Flats, another great match. Gibson was able to speak even with all the heat he got, in the normal 500 seat venue, it's a wall of noise booing him. He's got to be champ soon.

Candace LeRae and Joey Ryan vs. Angel Cruz and B. Cool. This morphed into Candace and B. Cool vs. Joey and Angel, except it kept changing. Good comedy match. Angel Cruz had an 'I'M A JIM CORNETTE GUY' tshirt, and tried hitting Joey in the dick with a tennis racket with Jim Cornettes face on it. So yeah. They were fully expecting Jim Cornette to chime in. I'd bet Mick asked him to say something personally.I have no idea who won.

Jimmy Havoc beat Paul Tracey. Jimmy's second appearance, after losing to Sha Samuels on his debut. I gave him two beers, one of which ended up on Paul Tracey. It was a good fun hardcore match m nothing too extreme, except Jimmy gave Paul paper cuts to the fingers, which got the biggest reaction of the match.

Haskins vs. Smile vs. Scurll, elimination rules:
Great match, Scurll got eliminated first (which I wasn't expecting. Scurll was incredibly over, and I thought Haskins was brought into the match late in order to stop Scurll losing clean. But lose clean he did. Then Haskins won. Great match I thought.

The show kicked off a 7pm, and went on to about 12:30, crowd was alive for everything. Great fun. If you're in the UK it's definitely worth going for one of the big shows like that. It's a molten crowd and makes everything come alive.

Just on the production: We had flames streamers, glowsticks and all sorts of stuff that made teh event feel special

Next big show will be Being the Elite with Cody, The Young Bucks, Fenix, Ospreay in December 9. They haven't announced a double header with Belfast but its possible I suppose.

Von Linus fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 8, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The only dig I have against Wrestlecircus is that their owner can come off as obnoxious sometimes, especially when paired by the fact he literally moderates the wrestling board on Reddit and panders incredibly hard to them

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
When did Lynam die?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

a year ago within the last month i think

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
WrestleCircus puts on fun shows that anyone can watch for free, so that's pretty cool. They do a better job mixing in the women into the matches more than most indies. They use mostly good talent.

If they keep the shows under 4 hours, don't overbook, and stop saying the occasional dumb thing on Twitter, I think they can be pretty good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I've only seen one of their shows but the work was good.

The commentary was horrific, it was way too long and the hard cam was the back of people's heads, which is why that's really the only one I've bothered with.

Other than the length, are the other two things now fixed?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yes

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What ever happened to Scoot Andrews?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
noted local NY wrestling jerk Darius Carter busted Pete Dunne's head open last night, requiring like 15 stitches, so Dunne's off the PROGRESS NYC & Boston cards this weekend :smith:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

noted local NY wrestling jerk Darius Carter busted Pete Dunne's head open last night, requiring like 15 stitches, so Dunne's off the PROGRESS NYC & Boston cards this weekend :smith:

Woke up to lots of DMs about this. Super annoying on a number of levels. Don't discount the idea that he may have a concussion. He was rumoured to wrestle at NXT Takeover.

Dunne was advised against wrestling Darius privately in the run up to the booking. Was a weird pick of an opponent as Carter is essentially blacklisted by WWE. As so many ex-indie WWE wrestlers have warned talent relations/management about him.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

https://twitter.com/judekilgour/status/896231102523863040

This is the state of Dunne at the end of the match. The injury was off a really loving sloppy and unsafe belt shot.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I've never seen him as unsafe but Darius should be a manager and it's very weird he was booked in a match with a top indie name.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Speaking of unsafe, I heard on Twitter that today’s Progress show in Queens was so overbooked that people were leaving early from the heat? Even Gabe got caught stepping out for a breather.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/896562576884207616

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i thought bix was just being bix but another person on my tl left the show too and somebody else passed out. all's well that ends well but every once in a blue moon you have a great white concert or grenfell tower

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/MrJacobCohen/status/896566617580154881

His ankle is bent the wrong way.

Add that to the Pete Dunne last night and people passing out at the show.

Great US tour so far.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You'd think with that Fed and Floslam money that Gabe would be better with spending money so poo poo like this wouldn't happen

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

You'd think with that Fed and Floslam money that Gabe would be better with spending money so poo poo like this wouldn't happen

:lol: if you think Gabe isn't pocketing a majority of the money while still crying poor

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Who booked the venue? Gabe?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

:lol: if you think Gabe isn't pocketing a majority of the money while still crying poor
How cheap is Gabe compared to Paul back in the heyday of ECW?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

How cheap is Gabe compared to Paul back in the heyday of ECW?

paul heyman is his mentor

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

oatgan posted:

paul heyman is his mentor
I know I just wanted to see if there was a comparison between the two

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

earlier this year they used a cheapass ring they got for free that kept breaking and almost paralyzed pete kasaa, and could have severely injured keith lee and chris hero

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Saaalllvvvyyy/status/896568224678105088

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/896579859392200704

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

drat that Maven Bentley!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Three people on the outside, locked shoulder-to-shoulder, and nobody caught the guy :psyduck:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

trip report from the ground:

show was hot as balls. we had reserved seats but they were turning people away at the door for GA who had tickets. no AC or fans in the building; luckily it was "only" 75F out because NYC is regularly 90-95F in the summer and people would have died. loving Gabe.

when we got there, they were out of water at the concession stand. there was no booze (which probably literally saved some lives tonight) and we got ginger ale, and lasted through the first four matches okay. the venue had only one mens bathroom with one stall and one urinal so I went once at the start after a 25 minute line and held it for the rest, always fun.

first set was great with no troubles really; they opened a lot of standing room on the floor that seemed to not block many people in the first bleachers. really no problems. I heard at this point they had restocked water bottles (only $2 for one, at least, but still jeez)

when I went to the concessions during intermission, the pipes above the concession stand were leaking hard, and made the entire floor slippery. I heard from someone on Twitter that they slipped and twisted their ankle, which, yikes. got more water and things seemed okay.

after a great opener to the second set, in the second match of the set (SPPT vs BSB as Seven & Bate), TK did a top rope dive onto BSB and landed straight on his feet. it was on the other side of the ring from me, and I thought that it looked kinda bad from the corner of my eye, but figured at worst it'd just be a rolled ankle and he'd walk it off. people on the other side didn't seem concerned at the time, until, after 15-30 seconds of brawling on the outside, the ref went to TK (on the ground) and threw up the X.

this is when things unraveled in a really, really weird way. so first, they stop the match. BSB and Banks are on the side near me, ref is giving them instructions. I can't see TK, but at one point, the entire crowd on the bleacher goes EWWWW at once, which I first heard as a boo and wondered if they had called off the match or something. Turns out TK had dislocated his ankle (according to the ring announcer) and it was gross. no one is panicking en masse - the people Tweeting about that are assholes, IMO, though I do understand why lots of individuals might panic there, but the crowd mood was generally tense but safe. They were constantly shushing us (like after we cheered when TK sat up) because of the medic situation.

about the same time, a dude setting the row in front of me and a few seats to the left falls out of his seat. there's a giant puddle of poo poo on his chair and it's clear dude passed out. we shouted for medical, solid 20 seconds later the ref comes over and is clearly confused. at this point, they were still trying to find the NYSAC-mandated paramedic backstage (this part the ring announcer clearly said into the mic; this is not speculation). they got some water, dude is sitting and talking at least, but can't walk, so Seven and Dunne pick him up and carry him out to a side exit. no one ever cleans up the puddle of poo poo.

me and my friend move to stand on the side (away from the poo poo). TK gets picked up by Dijak, Lee, a few others and brought behind the curtain (they had found the medic but had no stretcher, I guess; thank god there wasn't a neck injury).

BSB and Banks finish the match as a 2v1 handicap which I'm told was great; big heat for Dunne getting thrown out, etc. I say "told" cuz I could not concentrate at all after all that just happened, and left after grabbing some water for the road. There's no way I would have been able to watch WALTER v Riddle after that; I've been to shows where people passed out but after all that and people tweeting about how unsafe it was I decided to just bail.

As we waited for our Lyft, there were two ambulances and a fire truck with lights on outside. Two cops came up to us and asked what had happened, and we told him there was a wrestling show, a wrestler was injured, and people had passed out (the latter is why these two had been called; I assume they arrived to see there was already another ambulance and were justifiably worried). Someone got wheeled onto one ambulance, but if it was TK, he must have been in the back for 25+ minutes before they got him out (pleeeease do not take this as anything other than speculation; it could have been someone else who passed out).

that was uh... really surreal. It could have gone so much worse. The sad truth is that the first half of the card was so awesome, and I cannot imagine any of this was PROGRESS's fault. My two main concerns are (a) whether there is an apology for booking and overselling the venue and (b) whether there is an explanation of why they had no stretcher.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Maybe it's not so silly for PWG to just stay in their one small venue after all. Good trip report btw

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

to be clear, so that I don't come off as too overly dramatic (I just like typing lots of words), I'm guessing like 9/10 people coming away from that show will be "that was a great show with an unfortunate injury and it was oversold and too hot," and not, like, a tale of hell on earth or anything? I think I just mentally nope'd out after that dude poo poo himself near me, which like, feels like a reasonable thing to do. but I do think it was a total safety clusterfuck and people should be accountable for that

will be an interesting VOD release, to say the least. there were some legit HMs there! I kinda just wish the fire department had actually shut it down after the first match back from intermission

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

deadkiller615 posted:

Maybe it's not so silly for PWG to just stay in their one small venue after all. Good trip report btw
i mean while we're having this conversation pwg fill that dingy sweatbox past the point of safety all the time

there's enough doors along the wall to get out and catch your breath easy enough but those summer time shows are hell

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
There was a woman who passed out at PWG last year during the summer, but even though they overfill the venue it's not to the same degree as putting 1500 people in a building meant for 600

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Jesus I was there and had no idea about the person fainting (or not cleaning up poo poo). TBH I thought the venue at Battle Club Pro (where Dunne wrestled last night) was hotter, but i guess there were a lot less people there. The AC was fine for the Evolve show before but even with that many people it shouldn't have been the dripping mess it ended up being. I was pretty shocked that they had to go find an EMT; usually the athletic commission guys are really close by.

I definitely had a shitload of fun (and it says something about the show that they could get people invested again after TK got injured), but it's really a shame that all this happened.

Edit: does it says something about New York indies that this wasn't the hottest venue I've ever seen wrestling at?

Vertigo Ambrosia fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 13, 2017

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i just realized the poo poo seat is totally going to be visible in the VOD at some point, because it was first row. maybe they cleaned it later, obviously there were lots of other people not happy to be sitting near it

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

abraham linksys posted:

to be clear, so that I don't come off as too overly dramatic (I just like typing lots of words), I'm guessing like 9/10 people coming away from that show will be "that was a great show with an unfortunate injury and it was oversold and too hot," and not, like, a tale of hell on earth or anything? I think I just mentally nope'd out after that dude poo poo himself near me, which like, feels like a reasonable thing to do. but I do think it was a total safety clusterfuck and people should be accountable for that

will be an interesting VOD release, to say the least. there were some legit HMs there! I kinda just wish the fire department had actually shut it down after the first match back from intermission

I'm in that 9/10, I had a good time overall although someone fainted and then had a seizure on my side during intermission (side of the ring where TK hosed his ankle up) and by the end of the show it was practically raining from the condensation on the ceiling. It was really hot in there. Judging by all the people milling around it was definitely overbooked. I had fun but was mentally exhausted after that injury.

On the plus side the matches were all excellent and I got video of this spot.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Went to a pro wrestling show (CWF Mid-Atlantic) tonight in rural NC. The main event was a tag team title match between champions The Dawson Brothers, a couple of rednecks, and The Vanguard, two black guys with a black power gimmick. The rural mostly white audience was solidly behind and cheering for The Vanguard.

Sometimes wrestling is so much better than real life.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

abraham linksys posted:

trip report from the ground:

show was hot as balls. we had reserved seats but they were turning people away at the door for GA who had tickets. no AC or fans in the building; luckily it was "only" 75F out because NYC is regularly 90-95F in the summer and people would have died. loving Gabe.

when we got there, they were out of water at the concession stand. there was no booze (which probably literally saved some lives tonight) and we got ginger ale, and lasted through the first four matches okay. the venue had only one mens bathroom with one stall and one urinal so I went once at the start after a 25 minute line and held it for the rest, always fun.

first set was great with no troubles really; they opened a lot of standing room on the floor that seemed to not block many people in the first bleachers. really no problems. I heard at this point they had restocked water bottles (only $2 for one, at least, but still jeez)

when I went to the concessions during intermission, the pipes above the concession stand were leaking hard, and made the entire floor slippery. I heard from someone on Twitter that they slipped and twisted their ankle, which, yikes. got more water and things seemed okay.

after a great opener to the second set, in the second match of the set (SPPT vs BSB as Seven & Bate), TK did a top rope dive onto BSB and landed straight on his feet. it was on the other side of the ring from me, and I thought that it looked kinda bad from the corner of my eye, but figured at worst it'd just be a rolled ankle and he'd walk it off. people on the other side didn't seem concerned at the time, until, after 15-30 seconds of brawling on the outside, the ref went to TK (on the ground) and threw up the X.

this is when things unraveled in a really, really weird way. so first, they stop the match. BSB and Banks are on the side near me, ref is giving them instructions. I can't see TK, but at one point, the entire crowd on the bleacher goes EWWWW at once, which I first heard as a boo and wondered if they had called off the match or something. Turns out TK had dislocated his ankle (according to the ring announcer) and it was gross. no one is panicking en masse - the people Tweeting about that are assholes, IMO, though I do understand why lots of individuals might panic there, but the crowd mood was generally tense but safe. They were constantly shushing us (like after we cheered when TK sat up) because of the medic situation.

about the same time, a dude setting the row in front of me and a few seats to the left falls out of his seat. there's a giant puddle of poo poo on his chair and it's clear dude passed out. we shouted for medical, solid 20 seconds later the ref comes over and is clearly confused. at this point, they were still trying to find the NYSAC-mandated paramedic backstage (this part the ring announcer clearly said into the mic; this is not speculation). they got some water, dude is sitting and talking at least, but can't walk, so Seven and Dunne pick him up and carry him out to a side exit. no one ever cleans up the puddle of poo poo.

me and my friend move to stand on the side (away from the poo poo). TK gets picked up by Dijak, Lee, a few others and brought behind the curtain (they had found the medic but had no stretcher, I guess; thank god there wasn't a neck injury).

BSB and Banks finish the match as a 2v1 handicap which I'm told was great; big heat for Dunne getting thrown out, etc. I say "told" cuz I could not concentrate at all after all that just happened, and left after grabbing some water for the road. There's no way I would have been able to watch WALTER v Riddle after that; I've been to shows where people passed out but after all that and people tweeting about how unsafe it was I decided to just bail.

As we waited for our Lyft, there were two ambulances and a fire truck with lights on outside. Two cops came up to us and asked what had happened, and we told him there was a wrestling show, a wrestler was injured, and people had passed out (the latter is why these two had been called; I assume they arrived to see there was already another ambulance and were justifiably worried). Someone got wheeled onto one ambulance, but if it was TK, he must have been in the back for 25+ minutes before they got him out (pleeeease do not take this as anything other than speculation; it could have been someone else who passed out).

that was uh... really surreal. It could have gone so much worse. The sad truth is that the first half of the card was so awesome, and I cannot imagine any of this was PROGRESS's fault. My two main concerns are (a) whether there is an apology for booking and overselling the venue and (b) whether there is an explanation of why they had no stretcher.

#ProgressDeathRally

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
For what it's worth, the prevailing opinions in my DMs have been a mix of "gently caress Earl Cooter" (the local promoter that WWN uses), "this is not Progress's fault at all," and "LOL of course Gabe yelled at you, he yells at everyone."

I have no problem admitting that the initial tweet w/ the occupancy certificate read simultaneously too alarmist and snarky, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

abraham linksys posted:

i just realized the poo poo seat is totally going to be visible in the VOD at some point, because it was first row. maybe they cleaned it later, obviously there were lots of other people not happy to be sitting near it

Oh hey, I think I was sitting next to you. They did eventually clean up the poo poo during Banks/BSS.