Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Groovelord Neato posted:

ignore that the stormtroopers were ever jango fett clones.

Ok.

They're using a jazz jizz guitarist named Django Reinhardt to create a clone army!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Can you refresh my memory on this one?

Boba Fett and the Empire working together so that the Empire could get Leia and Jabba could get Han Solo was like a major plot point the Empire Strikes Back.
Also:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 12, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vince MechMahon posted:

He and Fett are in on the Han poo poo in Empire and Jedi.

Alhazred posted:

Boba Fett and the Empire working together so that the Empire could get Leia and Jabba could get Han Solo was like a major plot point the Empire Strikes Back.

I never thought Boba Fett actually worked for Jabba or was part of his organization beyond him being a bounty hunter that gets hired with the others to kill/bring someone in now and then. This makes it sounds like Vader phoned Jabba and was like "yeah I'm gonna stop by and pick up four of your guys to help me capture these rebel scum, be ready."

Tatooine is so way out there even in the OT, like wasn't it a huge deal that the empire was even there at all in ANH?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

I never thought Boba Fett actually worked for Jabba or was part of his organization beyond him being a bounty hunter that gets hired with the others to kill/bring someone in now and then.

Doesn't really explain why, 6 months after the end of ESB, he's still hanging around Jabba's palace in ROTJ. He might be a badass lone wolf bounty hunter, but he's probably working on retainer for Jabba for something at this point.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Tatooine is so way out there even in the OT, like wasn't it a huge deal that the empire was even there at all in ANH?

Storm Troopers were in Mos Eisley and nobody cared.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Doesn't really explain why, 6 months after the end of ESB, he's still hanging around Jabba's palace in ROTJ. He might be a badass lone wolf bounty hunter, but he's probably working on retainer for Jabba for something at this point.

Free beer and chicks?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Inescapable Duck posted:

Free beer and chicks?

In the special edition this actually is the case.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Fett probably had special privileges at Jabba's due to bringing back Han and just being a hired goon Jabba would use when intimidating smugglers (also seen in the special edition), Dengar and Bossk are both part of the crowd of aliens so that place was probably a good place to network for bounties. Keep in mind the awesome Zuckuss and 4-LOM were too cool to hang out with a slug.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Gott dam, the estimates for Friday's box office are out and The Dark Tower has already fallen to fourth place, pushed out of the top three by The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature and Annabelle: Creation. It only made $2.3 million, almost as low as Girl's Trip made the same day even though The Dark Tower has only been out a week and Girl's Trip opened 3 weeks ago.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Isn't Fett already with Jabba in the Special Edition of A New Hope? he might be doing freelance mercenary work in comics and whatnot, but in the movies we only ever see him work for Jabba The Hutt, directly or indirectly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Boba Fett go around calling all the stormtroopers Dad for a few years?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did Boba Fett go around calling all the stormtroopers Dad for a few years?

They should make one of the spinoff movies a Boba Fett movie where he has to fight clonetroopers, working title Boba Fett: Oedipus Complex.

It wouldn't quite fit because Boba doesn't actually have a mother he could bang.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Simplex posted:

And the rebellion in the original Star Wars includes a diverse cast of non-white characters including...

Since James Earl Jones is his dad, Luke is half black. But if you don't count ESB, Luke's mom is Jewish a Druish princess.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grendels Dad posted:

They should make one of the spinoff movies a Boba Fett movie where he has to fight clonetroopers, working title Boba Fett: Oedipus Complex.

It wouldn't quite fit because Boba doesn't actually have a mother he could bang.

He could get freaky with some lab equipment.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

Since James Earl Jones is his dad, Luke is half black. But if you don't count ESB, Luke's mom is Jewish a Druish princess.

Damnit, now I want to know if Carrie Fisher was Jewish, so to complete the joke.

(Debbie Reynolds was a Nazarene, but I can't tell if she converted when she married Eddie Fisher)

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Ape Agitator posted:

Funny, she doesn't look Druish.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Damnit, now I want to know if Carrie Fisher was Jewish, so to complete the joke.

(Debbie Reynolds was a Nazarene, but I can't tell if she converted when she married Eddie Fisher)

I thought that post was referring to Luke's mum, who would be Natalie Portman.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Or those long-necked aliens.

Aw yeah.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I thought that post was referring to Luke's mum, who would be Natalie Portman.

He is, but that would still work on so many levels.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Young Freud posted:

He is, but that would still work on so many levels.

Oh and now I got the joke too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's what his daddy did.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Next friday there are actually maybe a couple good movies coming out: hitman's bodyguard and Logan Lucky

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature

I love the title of this movie.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Phylodox posted:

He's gonna say Chewie and the droids don't count, either because they're played by white actors or because, if we're looking only at A New Hope (which I'm beginning to think is what he means when he says Star Wars), neither Chewie nor the droids are technically members of the Rebellion, but a mercenary and servants, respectively.

Yes, my original opinion restated is that in Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope: Original Theatrical Version, George Lucas made a movie in which the Empire are the good guys and the Rebellion are the bad guys. Each successive movie that he made was a clumsy attempt to try to demonstrate that no, the empire are really the bad guys.

Maybe the outright best example of this is the infamous Han shot first. In the original Han shoots first, but that also means that Han just outright murdered Greedo, and how is he any different from any other mafia thug? Lucas realized the implications and wanted to soften the edges, not have one of the principal cast members be a cold-blooded killer, so he changed it. Yeah people hate the change, but Han is no longer an outright villain, which I imagine is much closer to what Lucas envisioned.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

because he knew greedo was going to kill or kidnap him.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm curious to know what the Empire is portrayed as doing in ESB and ROTJ that is intended to portray them as evil when Lucas "realized" he had failed to indicate they were evil in Star Wars.

Edit: I don't care if it's a troll, I'm having fun imagining a viewer saying "the hero Darth is c making a bargain with this Lando fellow, who seems kind of shifty. I don't know how I feel about this.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 13, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Simplex posted:

Maybe the outright best example of this is the infamous Han shot first. In the original Han shoots first, but that also means that Han just outright murdered Greedo, and how is he any different from any other mafia thug?

I don't think it quite counts as murder to shoot a literal mafia thug that is pointing a gun at you because he wants to kidnap you and bring you to his boss who will most likely have you killed. Even if it is murder its the cool and good sort of murder.

One of the first things we see the empire do in the films is blow up an entire planet killing at very least a few hundred million people. I think shooting one dude in self defence doesn't quite compare to wiping out an entire world with your mega WMD.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
His theory is based purely on the fact that the hero wishes to bring about the pasts' glory, and the empire just something that might be better. It hinges on if you think going back is "good".

Cause Vader kills his subordinates, which is obvious I am a bad guy move. The heroes display selflessness and loyalty.

But at the end of the day, the Emperor is the best space wizard, so the past is still in charge.

Femur fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 13, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Simplex posted:

Yes, my original opinion restated is that in Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope: Original Theatrical Version, George Lucas made a movie in which the Empire are the good guys and the Rebellion are the bad guys. Each successive movie that he made was a clumsy attempt to try to demonstrate that no, the empire are really the bad guys.

Maybe the outright best example of this is the infamous Han shot first. In the original Han shoots first, but that also means that Han just outright murdered Greedo, and how is he any different from any other mafia thug? Lucas realized the implications and wanted to soften the edges, not have one of the principal cast members be a cold-blooded killer, so he changed it. Yeah people hate the change, but Han is no longer an outright villain, which I imagine is much closer to what Lucas envisioned.

Original theatrical release of Star Wars, the Empire murders an entire god damned planet. They flat out kill billions of people to look tough.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Furthermore Sauron and his horde of rampaging Orcs are actually the true heroes of Lord of the Rings since they represent industrialization and the Industrial Revolution was purely a force of good because it was progress and progress is good. Meanwhile the supposed "heroes" are a bunch of monarchists who believe in the divine right of kings.

The Martians are also the good guys in War of the Worlds because they are more technologically advanced than the barbaric subhuman humans and are simply taking up the Green Man's Burden to civilize such savages.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

Furthermore Sauron and his horde of rampaging Orcs are actually the true heroes of Lord of the Rings since they represent industrialization and the Industrial Revolution was purely a force of good because it was progress and progress is good. Meanwhile the supposed "heroes" are a bunch of monarchists who believe in the divine right of kings.

The Martians are also the good guys in War of the Worlds because they are more technologically advanced than the barbaric subhuman humans and are simply taking up the Green Man's Burden to civilize such savages.

This but unironically

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Russian author actually wrote a book about this. Although he goes a little too far in the other direction by making the Elves crazy evil.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The destruction of Alderaan is important event in the film, but ultimately subservient to the major themes of the movie. Star Wars is fundamentally a movie about the conflict of the old vs. the new. The agricultural vs. the industrial. The rural vs. the urban.

Obi-Wan and Vader are both relics of a bygone era. In the old days the two of them would be the most important figures on the battlefield, but war changed. War ceased to be a romantic conflict between a jedi and a handful of blaster equipped soldiers, or a lone pilot against a gaggle of enemy ships. Such as in the real world, how war ceased to be a duel between two knights, a dogfight between two fighters, or a lone privateer displaying guile and audacity to win acclaim and honors. War instead became the construction unfathomable military power. War is now legions of blaster equipped shock troops. War is star destroyers. Confronted with this new reality, Obi-Wan decided to live a life of exile, while Vader betrayed his own kind and joined the new order. There is a tragic irony in his decision as shown early in the movie. In the old days, one can imagine that Vader would never have to tolerate an officer giving him lip. That Vader choking him to death would be a light punishment. But in the new order, Vader holds no rank that any military officer has to respect. He is the Emperor's right hand man which carries power, but in the new order he does have to tolerate the military's barbs. He must follow orders the same as everyone else.

Which brings us to the death star. The death star represents the ultimate victory of the new order. It is the new reality of war, the musket, the machine gun, the battleship, the atomic bomb which will end the war in two shots. The destruction of Alderaan is not some unforgivable crime, but the new reality of war. It represents the ultimate culmination of military power. Against such a weapon, even the fabled jedi are utterly helpless. But wait, there's a critical design flaw. A mistake in the construction that is only exploitable by the elite soldiers of the old epoch. Perhaps there is indeed still value in the old ways.

There was an article posted earlier about how we are only ever shown the periphery of the Empire, and we don't really have a good idea what makes it tick. It raises some good points, but ultimately we know how it works, a nation is a collection of its people. Quite frankly, the people of the Empire in Star Wars are a bunch of assholes. The problem though, is that the people of the Rebellion are far beyond just being assholes and are instead a collection of abhorrent institutions. Sure, there's probably no real difference between being ruled by a (future) Queen, and being ruled by an emperor, except the movie tells us who the Leia's allies are. The victory of the old way wouldn't just mean a return to our agricultural roots, but is inextricably linked to a return to slavery. The end of the imperial order means more power for the criminal class.

The opening crawl of Episode IV tells us the Empire is evil. It has built the ultimate which does not discriminate. It cares not if you are noble, poor, white, droid or alien. It kills all equally regardless of race, creed or class. But the opening crawl presents a false dichotomy. The Rebellion is not offering an end of war, or an end of struggling. Instead they just want a return to the good old days. The time when the right type of people died meaningless deaths.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
But the Emperor is a practitioner of the old arts, and only uses technology because he cannot trust training multiple people who can potentially replace him.

So you can't say the empire is built on hard work, you still need a space wizard at the top.

Vader undermines the generals, and gets them all killed; and is in command the following movies.

Space wizards always rule, its just a matter off how many.

The first movie did not do anything but glorify the power of the force.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why dont you move to the star wars thread

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature might not make $10 million this weekend, bad because it's opening in 4000+ theaters and is looking to be the worst opening ever for such a large premiere.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Whoever greenlit that is probably going...

Crazy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know why they thought it needed that when its not like the first one made a ton of money.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Simplex posted:

The destruction of Alderaan is important event in the film, but ultimately subservient to the major themes of the movie. Star Wars is fundamentally a movie about the conflict of the old vs. the new. The agricultural vs. the industrial. The rural vs. the urban.

Obi-Wan and Vader are both relics of a bygone era. In the old days the two of them would be the most important figures on the battlefield, but war changed. War ceased to be a romantic conflict between a jedi and a handful of blaster equipped soldiers, or a lone pilot against a gaggle of enemy ships. Such as in the real world, how war ceased to be a duel between two knights, a dogfight between two fighters, or a lone privateer displaying guile and audacity to win acclaim and honors. War instead became the construction unfathomable military power. War is now legions of blaster equipped shock troops. War is star destroyers. Confronted with this new reality, Obi-Wan decided to live a life of exile, while Vader betrayed his own kind and joined the new order. There is a tragic irony in his decision as shown early in the movie. In the old days, one can imagine that Vader would never have to tolerate an officer giving him lip. That Vader choking him to death would be a light punishment. But in the new order, Vader holds no rank that any military officer has to respect. He is the Emperor's right hand man which carries power, but in the new order he does have to tolerate the military's barbs. He must follow orders the same as everyone else.

Which brings us to the death star. The death star represents the ultimate victory of the new order. It is the new reality of war, the musket, the machine gun, the battleship, the atomic bomb which will end the war in two shots. The destruction of Alderaan is not some unforgivable crime, but the new reality of war. It represents the ultimate culmination of military power. Against such a weapon, even the fabled jedi are utterly helpless. But wait, there's a critical design flaw. A mistake in the construction that is only exploitable by the elite soldiers of the old epoch. Perhaps there is indeed still value in the old ways.

There was an article posted earlier about how we are only ever shown the periphery of the Empire, and we don't really have a good idea what makes it tick. It raises some good points, but ultimately we know how it works, a nation is a collection of its people. Quite frankly, the people of the Empire in Star Wars are a bunch of assholes. The problem though, is that the people of the Rebellion are far beyond just being assholes and are instead a collection of abhorrent institutions. Sure, there's probably no real difference between being ruled by a (future) Queen, and being ruled by an emperor, except the movie tells us who the Leia's allies are. The victory of the old way wouldn't just mean a return to our agricultural roots, but is inextricably linked to a return to slavery. The end of the imperial order means more power for the criminal class.

The opening crawl of Episode IV tells us the Empire is evil. It has built the ultimate which does not discriminate. It cares not if you are noble, poor, white, droid or alien. It kills all equally regardless of race, creed or class. But the opening crawl presents a false dichotomy. The Rebellion is not offering an end of war, or an end of struggling. Instead they just want a return to the good old days. The time when the right type of people died meaningless deaths.

It's cool that you're telling others to restrict their reading to the first film, while talking about mountains of stuff that isn't in any of the films.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The reason for Nut Job 2 is that animated movies make bank.

They thought since the first one did okay, the second was a trojan horse into Dispicable Me types of money.

But they aren't Illumination, they're Laika at best. Laika, except without the money, critical acclaim, and cult following.

There is not going to be a Nut Job 3. And it will be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Simplex posted:

Either way there was a loaded gun literally pointed at him, by us law standards it was justifiably self defense.

• Locked thread