Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Such good stuff, everyone. I like these three in particular.

I think seabirds, like Pelicans, are some of my favorite birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
some more old stuff, was going through my stuff from 2015 this morning

White-winged Crossbill by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Merlin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

American Crow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The phone remote is a nice feature for this kind of shooting. I can sit inside, not scaring them away, and they'll just come right up to the feeder. This is a short video.

DSCF3374 by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Granlibakkan Male Western Tanager-2511 on Flickr

Granlibakkan Female Western Tanager-2525 on Flickr

This one more because it's a badass bird that I've only seen one other time than necessarily a great photo
Paige Meadows Goshawk-2378 on Flickr

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Well, hello there Birding thread.

I was shooting with a 7D and 70-300/L about five years ago when I sold my gear. Needed a break but now I'm coming back into the hobby. I wanted something lighter weight and more portable so it wouldn't interfere with the time spent with my kids outdoors. I opted for a G3X this time around for the 600mm f/5.6 equivalency and I hope that it's a reasonable option. Another SLR is likely in my future but at least a few years out.

Anyhow, I thought I would share some of my favourite shots from the 7D days in the meantime:

Fighting for Fishy Flesh by Dave, on Flickr

Mallard Shake by Dave, on Flickr

Crowned Pigeon by Dave, on Flickr

Peacock Fan by Dave, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Eastern Phoebe by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Eastern Phoebe by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
American Coot by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Killdeer by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Messy Sparrow

DSC_3590.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_3592.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
A couple photos of the hummingbird that visits the feeder outside our kitchen video.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wow. Very nice.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Unreal!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Yeah that's pretty rad.

I went to a local shorebird park that has had an asian rarity hanging out for like a week. of course I missed it by 15 minutes, but got some photos of the regulars while I waited in vain for it to return.

Alameda B&W Plover Crookleg-2738 on Flickr

Alameda Preening Curlew-2881 on Flickr

Alameda SemiPalm Plover-2868 on Flickr

Western Sandpipers on the mudflat-2672 on Flickr

Western Sandpipers In flight-2629 on Flickr

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Do Zoo trips count?

IMG_0437 by Dave, on Flickr

Untitled by Dave, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Grey Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Harris Hawk by Colin Chardavoyne, on Flickr

Javan Green Peafowl by Colin Chardavoyne, on Flickr

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 20, 2017

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

American Dipper by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Spotted Sandpiper by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went to Kruger National Park in South Africa for vacation. I highly recommend it, the bird and animal life was absolutely amazing, as was the scenery.
You also don't necessarily need a monster lens, the hornbills were shot on my 15mm (30mm FF equiv) as that was what I had attached when we came upon them! The rest were all with my 60mm (120mm FF equiv).

Shelley's francolin by King Dugga, on Flickr

Kori bustard by King Dugga, on Flickr

ostriches by King Dugga, on Flickr

juvie bataleur by King Dugga, on Flickr

Kori bustard by King Dugga, on Flickr

crested francolin by King Dugga, on Flickr

ground hornbills by King Dugga, on Flickr

ground hornbill parade by King Dugga, on Flickr

The Ground Hornbills were my favourite. Pretty amazing birds, they live for many decades, and communally raise one chick every few years. On their parade, the one in front would call out "honk, honk honk" and the one behind would reply "hoo hoo, hoo hoo", rhythmically like a marching song.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I made a thing. Watch it at 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcZYao3kU0

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Saw lots of interesting birds at the park today; bald eagle, pair of pileated woodpeckers, cooper's hawk, and probably at least 5 different types of warblers, but actually getting a shot of them just wasn't happening today

American Redstart by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

American Crow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Hawaiian birbs! I only took the Olympus 40-150, but thankfully a few got pretty close.

Super stoked to see the rare native Hawaiian Hawk. (The one about to take its tired dove friend for a flight.)

Hang loose brah.

Un-chill mainlander couple loudly arguing at high-end resort puddle:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Nice (thread) title shot at 3:26

You didn't ask for critique but I have some if you want it. If you don't, just ignore me I guess.

You say "nearby" to introduce birds repeatedly. I'm not familiar with the area at all, could you give a little introduction? Maybe something about the different parts, you talk about an Eco Centre "nearby" but some idea of the layout of the place would be nice. Do the paths have names? Could you talk about things like the entrance to the area, the direction water flows, if there are obvious landmarks like mudflats or a grassy lawn or something?
You talk about animals sunning themselves a couple of time, and for the pair of multi-coloured herons you state they shine "brilliantly". In both cases what I'm looking at when you say "sun" or "brilliant" is not particularly bright. Were the animals actually in direct sunlight in those shots? Could you up the exposure (or gamma, or contrast) for those segments to make it clear that these are birds in direct, bright sunshine?

Kimiwan Birdwalk Female RWBB by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Here's a female Red-Winged Black Bird at Kimiwan Birdwalk in northern Alberta. If you ever find yourself near Peace River, it's definitely worth the 10-km drive off of the highway.

RWBB adults eat cattail (Typha latifolia) seeds, I watched several pairs do so right in front of me. My boss doesn't like Typha, she says they release too much methane from wetlands and they choke out other plants (e.g. her favourites, Sphagnum mosses). I like to counter with the fact they tend to grow in the remnant ditches on the restored peatlands we work in, where water levels are too high for most other plants anyways, and the RWBB like them and I like RWBB.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

You didn't ask for critique but I have some if you want it. If you don't, just ignore me I guess.

You say "nearby" to introduce birds repeatedly. I'm not familiar with the area at all, could you give a little introduction? Maybe something about the different parts, you talk about an Eco Centre "nearby" but some idea of the layout of the place would be nice. Do the paths have names? Could you talk about things like the entrance to the area, the direction water flows, if there are obvious landmarks like mudflats or a grassy lawn or something?
You talk about animals sunning themselves a couple of time, and for the pair of multi-coloured herons you state they shine "brilliantly". In both cases what I'm looking at when you say "sun" or "brilliant" is not particularly bright. Were the animals actually in direct sunlight in those shots? Could you up the exposure (or gamma, or contrast) for those segments to make it clear that these are birds in direct, bright sunshine?

No worries, I don't mind critique.

This particular video was something of an experiment to see if I could make anything cohesive out of ~2 hours of shooting I did one morning at a resort while I was there for a wedding. Unfortunately this means I didn't take any establishing footage of the area I was in, which is where I'd have liked to put exactly that sort of introduction! Those are good notes though, and I'll keep in mind how valuable it'll be to talk about the local environment and the ecological niche(s) of that environment in the future.

Now that I think I have a bit better handle on the filming bits and I'm starting to get better at using Premier with color grading and sound editing, the next one I make (hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll see how my schedule goes) should have those bits.

And yeah, you're right about the wording about the green herons. They did seem a bit more bright and colorful in person and I might have been able to bring that out better with some more color grading.

ExecuDork posted:

Nice (thread) title shot at 3:26
:D

that was on purpose, I had about 2 full minutes of that flamingo preening itself and I couldn't resist the temptation to put that bit in and not say a word about it happening

This thread is one of the reasons I've kept doing bird photography and has been a major driver behind me getting better at it, now I hope you all don't mind as I do a similar development of my videography skills. :)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 24, 2017

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I had a rare visitor to our irrigation pond: a great egret!

Egret Landing by Ron Lee, on Flickr

Egret Spear Fishing by Ron Lee, on Flickr

Egret Flying Pose by Ron Lee, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Couple from this week

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What's that first bird? He's so fancy!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_5111.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 26, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon yellow warbler-3078 on Flickr

Red-tail Landing-2955 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon ACWOs-2913 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Couple of old penguin shots:

And a Grey Jay that is almost a clone of Neckbeard's earlier post

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Couple of old penguin shots:

This is loving dope.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
What he said.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Had a leucistic magpie across the street from my place when I got home from work today, first time I've had one around in a couple years

Leucistic Black-billed Magpie by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Wow, what a great find (and great pictures)! I keep seeing one show up in my facebook feed every so often -- now I'm really curious if we have two in our city or if he just gets around.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Thanks, I'm no longer in Millwoods, back downtown, saw this one on 108 ave between 115 and 116st

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Where in Antarctica were these taken, and why were you there? I'm jealous.

Here's a juvenile black-throated sparrow in Joshua Tree National Park.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 8, 2017

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Birding in Arizona.

Grace's Warbler

American Goldfinch

MacGillivray's Warbler

Steller's Jay (These Jays are a wonderful shade of dark blue. I'm hoping to see some closer ones.)

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 10, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pretty sure that one in your first pic is a Grace's Warbler but I could be wrong (easily).

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Pretty sure that one in your first pic is a Grace's Warbler but I could be wrong (easily).

Thanks. I couldn't figure it out at first because I was trying to narrow down my search using a small "Arizona Birds" folding pocket guide, which I now realize is far from complete.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's really not an American Goldfinch. I don't have the ID but it's not a goldfinch. Hmm...

Wilson's Warbler! That's it.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Oh yeah, you're right. Identifying birds can be tough.

More Arizona birds!

Great Blue Heron.

Lewis's Woodpecker and bug.

Lewis's Woodpeckers.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've never seen those woodpeckers before! :allears: The first photo is so lively.

And yeah, IDs are hard. I mostly know what isn't a goldfinch because my neighborhood is jam packed with them. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Got out for a little hike in the park near my house.

Wildcat Canyon BRCE-3229 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon BLPH-3384 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon HUVI-3224 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon CORA-3205 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon RTHA-3322 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon SOSP-3395 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon WAVI-3369 on Flickr

Wildcat Canyon CATO-3351 on Flickr