Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Here's a thing about the late 90s rpgs in particular but it applies generally. There's this thing where using an exotic setup makes the game trivial because you exploited the game mechanics so that you just fart in the general direction and armies die. You get less of that in modern games because devs try to balance things out. The little thing is finding the op configuration, the thing dragging it down is the internet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I bought Smash and Hyrule Warriors for 3DS because I'm probably not getting a Switch or Wii-U this decade. Just started up HW about two hours ago, put it down to do other things, booted it up just now and the game just gave me like 6,000,000 Rupees thanks to spotpass. I'm sure I'll eventually need to generate some income on my own later on in the game, but well, drat. That's amazing since I only beat the first level and haven't even gone farther than that yet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vic posted:

Here's a thing about the late 90s rpgs in particular but it applies generally. There's this thing where using an exotic setup makes the game trivial because you exploited the game mechanics so that you just fart in the general direction and armies die. You get less of that in modern games because devs try to balance things out. The little thing is finding the op configuration, the thing dragging it down is the internet :(

I liked this about South Park the Stick of Truth. You could work out a lot of different fun ways to become OP as gently caress, like giving the bouncy ball the strap-on to apply three stacks of bleed, and maxing out bleed on every enemy on the screen in the first turn.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Vic posted:

Game strategies can't even call themselves "overpowered" ever since Morrowind's alchemy stacking ruined it for everyone

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The main problem with Gwent being i don't think you even get enough cards for a full deck of anything other than Northern Realms for a long, long time

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Game strategies can't even call themselves "overpowered" ever since Morrowind's alchemy stacking ruined it for everyone
Alchemy was so intensely tedious to break that you were better off just editing your stats in the console.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game because you can drink enough booze to One Punch Man the final boss and kill him despite the fact that he's supposed to be invincible

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game because you can drink enough booze to One Punch Man the final boss and kill him despite the fact that he's supposed to be invincible

More like Morrowind is the best because you can snort so much fantasy cocaine that you can move so fast the game literally can't keep up with you, and then die from running into the ground at mach 200.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

RareAcumen posted:

I bought Smash and Hyrule Warriors for 3DS because I'm probably not getting a Switch or Wii-U this decade. Just started up HW about two hours ago, put it down to do other things, booted it up just now and the game just gave me like 6,000,000 Rupees thanks to spotpass. I'm sure I'll eventually need to generate some income on my own later on in the game, but well, drat. That's amazing since I only beat the first level and haven't even gone farther than that yet.

I picked up HW on black Friday last year. I played for a while without ever connecting to the internet. I think I had saved up about 1mil before I finally updated and was surprised that the game just gave me all that money for nothing. Even when trying to burn rupees, I'm pretty sure I never fell under 6mil again.

On topic: Lana humming the Zelda theme when she uses her third weapon is the best thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing through the original Megaman as I've never beaten a Megaman game before and figured "gently caress it, start from the top", currently only got Fireman and Bombman to go before the castle stages begin. The biggest roadblocks at first were Gutsman's stage's platforming as it isn't very responsive and the little trollies at the beginning are really annoying with how badly Megaman slides, but after getting a few weapons it seems to have "Clicked". I like how the weapons aren't elemental, Iceman isn't weak against Fireman's weapon because "Fire", it's weak to Elecman because of how the weapons behave. Iceman jumps when firing, so firemans weapon would have a chance of missing, but Elecman's weapon is an enormous hitbox so jumping can't save him. Gutsman's weapon is garbage though, made Cutman annoying to fight trying to exploit it for a couple of hits although when switching to the blaster he died fairly quickly to it.

It feels like the bosses aren't the real challenge, I'm having more trouble with the stages which makes the weapon progression, again, interesting as Elecman being weak to Cutman is a but weird, although you can say cutting elecrical cables maybe is the logic? But the real trick to figuring it out is that the enemies right at the start can (as far as I know) only be killed by Cutman's weapon - the important thing to note is that Elecman himself may be weak to Cutman, but so is the stage he inhabits itself.

It's kind of like how later games will expand upon the idea, with weapons weaknesses actively disabling enemy attacks or strategies, like Penguinman freezing Mammothman's lava stage in X1, or a boss that jumps a lot being weak to homing rockets. There is a logic, but it's not Pokemon-logic, it's spacial logic.

Also while initially it feels kind of bullshit that bosses take so much of your health in one hit, when you start using the weaknesses properly they die just as quickly as you do, and have just as much difficulty dodging your poo poo - the weaknesses aren't a breaking thing, they're a balancing thing.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Aug 13, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

Also while initially it feels kind of bullshit that bosses take so much of your health in one hit, when you start using the weaknesses properly they die just as quickly as you do, and have just as much difficulty dodging your poo poo - the weaknesses aren't a breaking thing, they're a balancing thing.

Or you can just use the elecman weapon glitch and break the whole game.

Also Gutsman and Iceman's platforming bits are the entire basis for really frustrating, hard segments in platforming games for generations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nuebot posted:

Or you can just use the elecman weapon glitch and break the whole game.

Also Gutsman and Iceman's platforming bits are the entire basis for really frustrating, hard segments in platforming games for generations.

Is that the old NES chestnut of "Pause the game while the shot is onscreen and overlapping with the boss to do forever-damage"? I'm trying to play relatively fair, drawing the line at using savestates. I do that for all my nes games though due to no battery for saving..

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
If you wanted to finally beat a Megaman game fairly, 1 is the worst choice to start with.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm not being entirely fair, savestates come into regular use. I'm currently at the first Wily's castle level. Also the way I see it playing the better games first would just mean I'd have even harder times with the OG games later on. If I started later and got used to better level design it would just make it harder to go back, and honestly with each game having a fairly unique set of weapons it's the one series that I feel it is worth going back to the start for.

It's like with Assassins Creed, if you've played 2 then going back to the first one is miserable as it seems like a total chore in comparison, while it was pretty neat when it first came out. The improvements the series made made it retroactively terrible, instead of interesting with some flaws.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Aug 13, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Is that the old NES chestnut of "Pause the game while the shot is onscreen and overlapping with the boss to do forever-damage"? I'm trying to play relatively fair, drawing the line at using savestates. I do that for all my nes games though due to no battery for saving..

Yeah you just hit the pause button over and over again while it passes through the hitbox. It's an in-game thing you don't need to cheat to do it or anything. I highly recommend doing it for the yellow devil because gently caress the yellow devil.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

It's like with Assassins Creed, if you've played 2 then going back to the first one is miserable as it seems like a total chore in comparison, while it was pretty neat when it first came out. The improvements the series made made it retroactively terrible, instead of interesting with some flaws.

That's pretty much true for every game though. Even for the first Uncharted game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, I've beaten the Yellow Devil. Needed the trick of course, and I'll be using it for the mirror match too as he has killed me a bunch, although the trick isn't the be-all end-all that the thread made it sound. Yellow Devil was still hard, I just killed him in 4 rounds instead of 6-8. I'd got pretty good at dodging his bits by the end, although still getting hit sometimes due to the random factor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alhazred posted:

That's pretty much true for every game though. Even for the first Uncharted game.

I'd say it's only really a thing in the early/mid 00's, when studios were starting to latch onto the idea of franchises after Halo just crushed sales at-large on name recognition alone.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Well, I've beaten the Yellow Devil. Needed the trick of course, and I'll be using it for the mirror match too as he has killed me a bunch, although the trick isn't the be-all end-all that the thread made it sound. Yellow Devil was still hard, I just killed him in 4 rounds instead of 6-8. I'd got pretty good at dodging his bits by the end, although still getting hit sometimes due to the random factor.

Yellow devil is a monster and deserves the pause spam every time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say it's only really a thing in the early/mid 00's, when studios were starting to latch onto the idea of franchises after Halo just crushed sales at-large on name recognition alone.

I remember reading an opinion piece in EGM published on the eve of the Gamecube's launch pining for the days when games were original and weren't all sequels and franchises. I love that we've come full circle and now that era is the idyllic past we long for.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've never minded sequels, they're a good way to flesh out a world in a way that the original property didn't have time to go into. A good franchise can keep things interesting without retconning everything that came before by introducing more and more parts of a world, or even connected worlds in the same setting.

Rachet and Clank they were going to whole new galaxies to have adventured because people outside of the first galaxy heard about how awesome they were and were like "Can you help us out? You're apparently really good at this" and the characterisation of Quark was amusing too seeing his fall from grace after working with the Genocidal Drek in the first game, to impersonating an inventor in order to make a quick buck in the second, to collapsing into madness as a space-hobo in the third (Haven't played that one yet so I don't know what happens to him after that, but I'll get around to it.).

Spyro had the titular character get kidnapped by Hunter and the other characters from Avalar due to them needing a dragon, establishing that Dragons are a known entity in the Spyro universe even in places that haven't had them for centuries, also expanding the core cast in an interesting way - then Spyro 3 took Spyro to the other side of his own world, lands that had simply been forgotten by the dragons, but that hadn't forgotten them, which also allowed them to play with the storytelling by having Bianca, the first villain in the series who wasn't actually evil, but mislead.

Sure a lot of sequels do poorly as they make mistakes, either rendering former plot points irrelevant or completely undoing them, or just retreading the same formula over and over again without a significant change until it gets stale, but I don't mind them on principle. I always await sequels with a kind of tempered curiosity, whether game or movie - I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda 1-3, I thought they were all solid movies with some small flaws to each, but honestly if they thought a 4th one was warranted I'd at least keep an eye on it unless it looked particularly lovely.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Aug 13, 2017

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nuebot posted:

Yellow devil is a monster and deserves the pause spam every time.

I got Mega Man 1 back when it first released and it took me something like 14 years to beat. I had to beat Yellow Demon legit as I'd never heard of the electrical glitch.

I feel like after the platforms in Guts Man's stage, Yellow Demon is kind of a breeze.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Polaron posted:

I got Mega Man 1 back when it first released and it took me something like 14 years to beat. I had to beat Yellow Demon legit as I'd never heard of the electrical glitch.

I feel like after the platforms in Guts Man's stage, Yellow Demon is kind of a breeze.

And then Megaman 2 shows up with a boss you have to have a full crash bomb ammo supply for or you're hosed and have to game over to try again. :negative:

You know what my favorite classic Megaman game is? Megaman and Bass. Half of it is like a stripped down Megaman 8 and the other half is original, and cool, content. Playing as Bass is really fun and something I'd wanted since Megaman 7 and it's just a neat game overall. But the thing I like best about it, is that Bass is basically just a combination of the X/Zero playstyles from the X series with a rapid fire gun instead of a charge shot. He can't move while shooting either. It's a fun contrast and the stages are built around the character differences as well so there are side paths and secrets to grab that require the double-jump or the slide to reach. It's a shame it never reached state side until the bad GBA port.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got through the third Wiley stage - wow that boss that was just 8 rotating cubes that spawn one at a time was dumb, and I had a lot of trouble avoiding them too due to the massive hitbox. The levels themselves have were not too bad, it's just the bosses are so ludicrous.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

AAA developers don't like to take risks anymore, sequels to established francises are almost always a safe bet. Not that sequels are bad or anything, some of the best games ever made are sequels.

That being said, I do miss originality but I'm glad indie developers have taken up the slack of making original and unique games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wafflemoose posted:

AAA developers don't like to take risks anymore, sequels to established francises are almost always a safe bet. Not that sequels are bad or anything, some of the best games ever made are sequels.

That being said, I do miss originality but I'm glad indie developers have taken up the slack of making original and unique games.

It's more that AAA games are expensive. The reason you saw so many titles on the PS2/GCN/Xbox was because it was relatively cheap to build games for them, so every was jumping on the bandwagon. Hell, it's part of why the PS2 hung in for so goddamn long. That crowd mostly dispersed across the Wii, DS/3DS and PSP/Vita after that, if not fall under/get bought out, and it's only with the Nintendo Switch and an actual interest in PC gaming in Japan (or hell, just indie PC games in general) that studios like the ones in the early-00's really once again have a decent in with the home-console market where it isn't obscenely expensive to make something that looks competitive with bigger mainstream titles.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I think more game series need to do the Final Fantasy/Atelier/Nier/Silent Hill 2 thing, where the only things that carry between games is a few basic concepts and mechanics, and everything else is completely different in each one. Far Cry kinda does that, but Ubisoft does it in exactly the wrong way.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Aug 13, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Last I heard they're overhauling a lot of the Far Cry mechanics for 5.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Last I heard they're overhauling a lot of the Far Cry mechanics for 5.

If they gently caress up the fascist murder sim that I'm very much looking forward to then I'll be pissed. Especially after yesterday.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Timotheous Venture posted:

If they gently caress up the fascist murder sim that I'm very much looking forward to then I'll be pissed. Especially after yesterday.

Wolfenstein II, my dude.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wolfenstein II, my dude.

Oh definitely, that goes without saying. But you can never have too many options when it comes to nazi genocide.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, I've beaten the original Megaman. I kinda liked the ending, it works cause of how simple it is, warns of upcoming evils but with time to chill out at home until the sequel :3:. Also I had no idea that Megaman could remove his armour. I thought it was grafted on. Final boss was a little BS, used the fire weapon to block first forms attacks while hurting it, then finished it off with the electric gun glitch.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Almost done with Breath of the Wild (for now), one thing I really appreciated was the bright moon when venturing at night, so that you could see as well as during the day. Makes exploration much more enjoyable to me.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Last year I felt bored and decided to get into megaman. Ended up buying the collection for 3ds and had a blast, getting up to the 4-5th game. Very keen to move onto X one of these days. Megaman with more story sounds dope.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guavatin posted:

Last year I felt bored and decided to get into megaman. Ended up buying the collection for 3ds and had a blast, getting up to the 4-5th game. Very keen to move onto X one of these days. Megaman with more story sounds dope.

The story isn't amazing, but X1-3 are legit great games. And when you're ready, the Megaman Zero stuff is solid too - I spent way too many hours in the first one. Enjoy!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guavatin posted:

There's barely more story until you get to X4 where it suddenly turns into a crazy melodrama. But the X series is very good overall (6-8 aren't great honestly, but 1 through 5 each have their strong points and manage to be a treat in their own ways, especially the first three) and play very tight, the addition of a dash and the wall jumps to the X series make it feel so much smoother than the classic series ever did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I love when DS/3DS titles recognize the fact that there's physical separation between the two screens. Some games treat the dual screens like one large display and it looks awkward as hell...but the you get gems like Metroid Prime Pinball where the gap between the two screens is valid playspace (there's just not any obstacles or anything in there)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Breakers Bow in Bastion feels incredibly satisfying to use.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

My favourite little thing in Pyre is Ti'zo :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jivjov posted:

I love when DS/3DS titles recognize the fact that there's physical separation between the two screens. Some games treat the dual screens like one large display and it looks awkward as hell...but the you get gems like Metroid Prime Pinball where the gap between the two screens is valid playspace (there's just not any obstacles or anything in there)

Metroid Prime Pinball was pretty good for what it was. It needed more 'regular' tables though.