Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Ironic" racism is great training wheels for just becoming an actual racist. Sad to say I participated in that until I recognized that I was becoming an actual racist as my mind does not distinguish between "ironic" racism and actual racism.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What is up with those silly homemade shields that the altright protestors are carrying around, is that a new thing?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martian posted:

What is up with those silly homemade shields that the altright protestors are carrying around, is that a new thing?

Part cosplay, part cargo-culting police riot shields.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Part cosplay, part cargo-culting police riot shields.

They saw Antifa employing them in prior skirmishes like the inauguration or Berkeley, so they ended up following suit.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Young Freud posted:

They saw Antifa employing them in prior skirmishes like the inauguration or Berkeley, so they ended up following suit.

Pepe shields usually appear to be made out of cardboard. Its cosplay to look scary.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Carrying a shield without holding a weapon in the other hand seems a little passive agressive

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Withnail posted:

Carrying a shield without holding a weapon in the other hand seems a little passive agressive

Well, from when I've seen Antifa use them, they were mostly to keep cops or skirmishers from continuing to arrest or hurt injured or gassed people. It was one of those tactics they developed from years of protesting.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I would argue curtailing speech can be dangerous. I think a lot failure lies with social and cultural norms allowing nazi types to exist openly rather than as more fringe groups living off the grid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sylink posted:

I would argue curtailing speech can be dangerous. I think a lot failure lies with social and cultural norms allowing nazi types to exist openly rather than as more fringe groups living off the grid.

Problem is seemingly the entire internet is 'off the grid' now

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Young Freud posted:

Well, from when I've seen Antifa use them, they were mostly to keep cops or skirmishers from continuing to arrest or hurt injured or gassed people. It was one of those tactics they developed from years of protesting.

Kinda weird that this apparently isn't grounds to immediately classify the protest as non-peaceful for the police.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Randler posted:

Kinda weird that this apparently isn't grounds to immediately classify the protest as non-peaceful for the police.

If you put a tiny flag on a club or a logo on the shield they become protest signs and protected by the free speech

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

If only there was some mechanism to judge the difference in speech between "I read Mein Kampf once" and, "I want to physically hurt and bully people because my worldview literally cannot include them in my community, up to and including murder". Ah well I guess we just have to allow all speech then.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Count Roland posted:

eugh, yeah I'm one that (often) likes wikileaks, and I'm not huge on BLM, but comparing them to the KKK, christ that is just not on.

what pray tell is wrong with blm my man.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sylink posted:

I mean, the problem is that "addressing the cultural and economic causes of fascism" is a good idea and should be done, but there are Nazis here and now and that isn't gonna do a drat thing about them.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Gyges posted:

Wait, are people just now learning that the ACLU works with Nazis to get them permits to march? They've always done that, it's like their signature bona fides for being neutral advocates for the first amendment.
I've never understood that impulse of theirs. Voltaire had that quote about dying for the freedom of blah blah blah, but that was just some poo poo he said when he was drunk.

In practice, enabling Nazis to perform a march at Skokie, something they did strictly because a lot of holocaust survivors live there, did not ennoble our society and did not help non awful people in any sense I can see.

And they'll waste massive resources chasing down cases for like repeat lifer bad actors who pretend to be jewish because the kosher meal is preferable to them.

They should be out policing court orders for psych transfers to state psychiatric hospitals, and rendering pro bono appearances on forfeiture cases. But I guess that's just too parochial and unsexy.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Mendrian posted:

If only there was some mechanism to judge the difference in speech between "I read Mein Kampf once" and, "I want to physically hurt and bully people because my worldview literally cannot include them in my community, up to and including murder". Ah well I guess we just have to allow all speech then.

Slippery slope to Obama replacing all churches with Mosques.

Edit: That's not even hyperbole. It's how people think.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/waldojaquith/status/896566113974317058

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Thank Christ at least one person at ACLU realized that "having a reputation for defending Nazis" isn't good for the organization.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, the problem is that "addressing the cultural and economic causes of fascism" is a good idea and should be done, but there are Nazis here and now and that isn't gonna do a drat thing about them.

They should be dealing with both and they should be doing it now.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Thank Christ at least one person at ACLU realized that "having a reputation for defending Nazis" isn't good for the organization.

Agreed.

edit: I'm not gonna lay out my full argument but when you'll go to bat for nazis but not black people reading books, it's not the first amendment you're protecting anymore.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 13, 2017

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

They should be dealing with both and they should be doing it now.

Problem is, without the southern strategy they are literally incapable of addressing anything their base wants.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lightning Knight posted:

Also agreed.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Randbrick posted:

I've never understood that impulse of theirs. Voltaire had that quote about dying for the freedom of blah blah blah, but that was just some poo poo he said when he was drunk.

In practice, enabling Nazis to perform a march at Skokie, something they did strictly because a lot of holocaust survivors live there, did not ennoble our society and did not help non awful people in any sense I can see.

And they'll waste massive resources chasing down cases for like repeat lifer bad actors who pretend to be jewish because the kosher meal is preferable to them.

They should be out policing court orders for psych transfers to state psychiatric hospitals, and rendering pro bono appearances on forfeiture cases. But I guess that's just too parochial and unsexy.

Okay, it's because the laws that protect a nazi's right to peacefully protest are also protecting yours. So now you understand where they're coming from.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Problem is, without the southern strategy they are literally incapable of addressing anything their base wants.

Yeah this is a real Come To Jesus moment for the moderate (how many of those are event left?) GOP members. Not just the elected officials either, but their staff as well.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, they've defended hardcore communists, nazis, and i'm pretty sure they've got one isis flag display under their belt. As an organization they seem unconcerned with which way their clients swing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

awesmoe posted:

Okay, it's because the laws that protect a nazi's right to peacefully protest are also protecting yours. So now you understand where they're coming from.

much freer societies than ours don't defend nazis marching through the neighborhoods of holocaust survivors.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Check the video description. :cripes:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 13, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

awesmoe posted:

Problem is it's not working, the cops beat on progressive and minority protesters at the first opportunity, and let the nazis do whatever until the counter-protesters start fighting back or the nazis get emboldened enough to start actually murdering people.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

awesmoe posted:

Yeah I'm not a high school kid, nor am I running down my first semester of anything at this point in life.

If you think you can be the first person to explain to me, concretely, functionally, exactly how and why either nsa v skokie or the aclus pattern of targeted nazi advocacy has in fact translated to positive outcomes for anyone not nazi, then please do.

And if you really want some bonus points, the you'll take on the extra challenge of defending that litigation strategy in opportunity cost terms.

I've been waiting and I can wait longer.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Yeah this is a real Come To Jesus moment for the moderate (how many of those are event left?) GOP members. Not just the elected officials either, but their staff as well.

I got into it with someone yesterday about this, specifically some dingus going on about how this wasn't "The Party of Reagan," which gets trotted out by some milquetoast know-nothings from the burbs from time to time. It's like Lee Atwater never existed to these people.

In a weird sort of way the Republican party did the opposite of what the democratic party did. The centrist 3rd Way coalition, whether on purpose or inadvertently, worked overtime to decouple economic justice from social justice while the GOP tightly wound the two together. So now the GOP is literally incapable of pushing their economic agenda without the outright implication that it will hurt some out-group.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 13, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

awesmoe posted:

A protest with the primary goal of "exterminating people we don't like" exists solely to incite violence even if it's just a bake sale and not angry men carrying torches.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sadly there are people out there who genuinely believed their Grand Ol' Party was never racist, but the chickens are coming home to roost now.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

awesmoe posted:

They're nazis though. We don't really have plausible deniability about their end-game this time around, so maybe we shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

awesmoe posted:

I'm black, poor and I read books. I probably have a few ironic "kill whiteys" in my post history too. They ain't protecting me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Krowley posted:

They're nazis though. We don't really have plausible deniability about their end-game this time around, so maybe we shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, it might not meet the legal definition of "imminent threat of violence" or whatever, but it meets the factual definition of "threat of eventual genocide".

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

I probably have a few ironic "kill whiteys" in my post history too.

They were ironic? I'm white but I totally support that policy platform

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
I understand the impulse in like a 1950s Era understanding of American racial politics. If you can get good case law on protest rights from a nazi fact pattern, you would think that this would work for everybody else, because you've got solid viewpoint discrimination precedent for the worst viewpoint.

In practice, though, nazi's are not the worst viewpoint legally. They are in fact privileged above and beyond most black and lefty viewpoints.

Also ignores the fact that nazi's can get their own drat lawyers.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

They were ironic? I'm white but I totally support that policy platform

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I don't like this new Caddyshack reboot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOD0XCm57d8

Goffer posted:

robocops take on nazis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAVmiPyG3BY&feature=youtu.be

the whole 10 minutes is worth it

Police start moving at 5:45

7:45 - i'm not.... resisting! Ow Ow Ow! Clunk clunk! thud thud!

You really suck. You mentioned Robocop, I thought I was gonna see some dick shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

awesmoe posted:

The past history of this country shows that any 'slippery slope' argument about stuff like this is stupid because THEY ALREADY DID.

Nothing has terrified the powers that be in this country more than leftist organizations.

• Locked thread