Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

martinlutherbling posted:

Just got an email from comcast saying that my modem sucks so hard that it will no longer work as of 8/30/17. Is this bullshit, and if not, what's a good modem? Will be used for netflix and browsing the forums while pooping, mostly.

Did they say why it sucks or what you need? Are you currently renting your modem from Comcast? If so, they should just swap you to a new one and keep charging $5/month extra for it. If you own your modem and it's fairly old, maybe it's Docsis 2 and you need 3 or 3.1? Pick up an Arris Surfboard for about $100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Before you buy one at a store, give samart a chance. Someone might have an unused one just lying around after having upgraded or moved

But, yes, you 100% want surfboard and at least docsis 3

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Before you buy one at a store, give samart a chance. Someone might have an unused one just lying around after having upgraded or moved

But, yes, you 100% want surfboard and at least docsis 3

Just don't get the sb6190, there's a bug in its SoC. Not sure if it's been fixed. Also, there is a home networking thread if you want more help.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any decent power bar for an entertainment system you can recommend? Something that isn't grossly overpriced.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

m.hache posted:

Any decent power bar for an entertainment system you can recommend? Something that isn't grossly overpriced.

Like, a surge protector that you can plug a bunch of poo poo into? Just buy a $20-ish dollar one with good ratings; $20 means it's not Chinese fire hazard garbage and more expensive ones are just marketing hype.

Wirecutter recommendation

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

m.hache posted:

I like Tripp-Lite power strips for entertainment systems, particularly the Right Angle style. The Right Angle outlets allows you to use wall wart plugs without crowding the strip, and Tripp Lite has a pretty cool mounting system too. I just mount it to the back of the entertainment system. They are a bit more expensive but you won't run out of outlets and they're a good quality product.

They also have perhaps the most important thing of all in power strips: a goddamn cover for the goddamn switch

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Does anyone have recommendations for a living room couch?

I'm buying a home, and I'm planning to put my current 20-year-old couch in the second bedroom. I'm looking for a new one that's at least 82 inches wide. I'd like to get one that can come in a grey or charcoal color. This is my current pick, but I'd really prefer something that's not online-only so that I could go into a store and try it out before buying. I live in a decently large city, so I should have one of most chains nearby. I'm hoping to spend $1,200 or less on it.

Off-hand, I know I have these furniture chains nearby:

- La-Z-Boy
- Ashley Furniture HomeStore
- Weekends Only
- American Freight
- Simply Amish
- IKEA

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We got our current sectional from LA Z Boy. It's fantastic and been durable enough to put up with our 2 dogs without showing any signs of damage. It is also comfortable enough that we regularly pass out on it. I enjoyed the customization that they offered which allowed us to sort through the fabric and add-ons. The 0% financing was nice as well.

I think my only problem was the delivery time was something like 8 weeks but I guess due to the size and the ability to customize the order, this is necessary.

That said, I really like the couch you linked above and I doubt they would carry something in that style as they are a lot more traditional.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
We have a sectional from Macy's and really like it. It was around your budget number if you wait for one of the like five month-long sales thay have. Its held up well for the year we have had it and a friend has had her's with no complains for like 5 years.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Can anyone recommend drinking glasses that don't sweat? Double wall glasses I guess.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

colas posted:

Can anyone recommend drinking glasses that don't sweat? Double wall glasses I guess.

Tervis

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Can anyone recommend a sub-$100 desk chair? Ideally it'd be nice if it was at least a bit ergonomic, but I can deal with it if it isn't. Just need something to use for the next nine months.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

ishikabibble posted:

Can anyone recommend a sub-$100 desk chair? Ideally it'd be nice if it was at least a bit ergonomic, but I can deal with it if it isn't. Just need something to use for the next nine months.

They are all pretty much the same garbage that won't last. So really, pick your poison.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

black.lion posted:

I need a waterproof bluetooth speaker, it can be big and ugly but I need it to be loud and to last for 6 hours playing fully charged. And it needs to be really waterproof, as it'll be in a river. Any ideas?

For reference, about 20 of us are tying floaties together and floating down a river for 5-6 hours for my gfs birthday, and I want to tie a big speaker to a stick and bring it.

I just wanted to say that my friends and family hated your group with a fiery passion last time we went tubing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ishikabibble posted:

I had an ikea chair that was ~$100 that lasted for quite awhile considering the price, 5 years or so. That was a decade ago, no idea which model it was in particular. If you can jump your price to around $200, a used or surplus office furniture place should be able to set you up with a pretty nice chair that will last a long time. If you are really going to abandon the chair in 9 months, you can probably just use whatever from walmart.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Bluetooth speakers in places other than your backyard are quickly becoming the new current scourge.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My TV only has two HDMI ports, so I need a switcher (I think). I'd like one that's relatively inexpensive and can support at least 4 different devices, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

My TV only has two HDMI ports, so I need a switcher (I think). I'd like one that's relatively inexpensive and can support at least 4 different devices, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Buy a home theatre receiver with HDMI-CEC and build yourself a sweet surround system. There should be shittons of cheap full-HD receivers out there now that people are upgrading to 4K. I have a Sony STR-DH520 and love it to death because it just works after setup and I never have to tinker with it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Goons are all about fancy men's underwear, which is great, but what I need are fancy men's dress socks (or at least just good-looking ones that'll last more than three or four washings). For my purposes, it would be ideal if they come in multiple colors, are on the thinner side, don't have crazy patterns, and are either quarter or crew-length. Thanks for any tips you may have!

surf rock has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Aug 12, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Darn Tough

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Darn tough are great but don’t have any that could be considered dress socks. You might find something that will work for you though.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I love Darn Tough socks and I have several pairs, but yeah, none of those really fit as dress socks that I can wear with a suit.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

surf rock posted:

I love Darn Tough socks and I have several pairs, but yeah, none of those really fit as dress socks that I can wear with a suit.

That's fair, you're probably a fancier dresser than I am. Their Solid Crew Light in Navy/Black/Chestnut/Charcoal are what I wear with suits, there's a little splash of color at the top and toe but neither are visible.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

evobatman posted:

Buy a home theatre receiver with HDMI-CEC and build yourself a sweet surround system. There should be shittons of cheap full-HD receivers out there now that people are upgrading to 4K. I have a Sony STR-DH520 and love it to death because it just works after setup and I never have to tinker with it.

When I finally moved from SD to HD a few years ago I made a Sony Blu-Ray receiver the center of my system and other than the occasional glitch it's made things easy.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lawen posted:

That's fair, you're probably a fancier dresser than I am. Their Solid Crew Light in Navy/Black/Chestnut/Charcoal are what I wear with suits, there's a little splash of color at the top and toe but neither are visible.

But won't it show when I wear my suit with my dress sandals?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My stock tv speakers are starting to piss me off with their inconsistency. I'm sitting here trying to watch something and I have to crank it up to hear anyone talk, which leads to a heart attack anytime a gun or explosion goes off. Plus I'm in an apartment so I'm going to end up pissing someone off at some point.

Can I fix this with just a pair of external speakers, or would I need a separate receiver? Current setup is Playstation 4 hdmi to tv only. I don't want anything fancy or expensive, just to be able to enjoy semi-decent movie sound quality.

Product recommendations?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

My stock tv speakers are starting to piss me off with their inconsistency. I'm sitting here trying to watch something and I have to crank it up to hear anyone talk, which leads to a heart attack anytime a gun or explosion goes off. Plus I'm in an apartment so I'm going to end up pissing someone off at some point.

Can I fix this with just a pair of external speakers, or would I need a separate receiver? Current setup is Playstation 4 hdmi to tv only. I don't want anything fancy or expensive, just to be able to enjoy semi-decent movie sound quality.

Product recommendations?

If I was you I would look around for good deals on soundbars. That's what I did when I was in your situation and ended up with a Sony one that isn't perfect thanks to a few random issues but is way better than tv speakers. I didn't feel like getting a 5.1 with wired everywhere so it was basically plug in and go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is it decent even at low volumes? That might be perfect, I don't want to deal with clutter.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

Is it decent even at low volumes? That might be perfect, I don't want to deal with clutter.

Yeah, most should be great for that. I almost always use mine quiet enough where you can't even hear it a room away.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just watch anime with subtitles. Problem solved.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Best bang for buck external recorder for a camera? 4K, 4:2:2, either SD or SSD write?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rolo posted:

Product recommendations?

Your problem is that voice is on the center channel only on a lot of mixes. Go into your player's settings and force it to use stereo instead of auto or dolby or whatever. If it's sent to your tv as actual left and right channels, it should solve your problem

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Sentient Data posted:

Your problem is that voice is on the center channel only on a lot of mixes. Go into your player's settings and force it to use stereo instead of auto or dolby or whatever. If it's sent to your tv as actual left and right channels, it should solve your problem

Holy poo poo thank you. This has driven me nuts for years

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Doing a sort of "quick"/soft remodel of my kitchen, just painting walls, swapping out handles on cabinets, etc...

I'm trying to find a decent light to go over my sink. It has to be wall-mount because there's no cabinet over the sink to do an under-cabinet mount, and there's already a pretty big hole in the drywall where the romex comes out and no easy way for me to re-do the wiring to come down out of the ceiling without removing a lot of drywall.

But it seems every wall-mount light/sconce I see is made more for bathrooms, or maybe a living room/office. None of them have a "kitchen"-y feel, if that makes sense? This is a sample of "wall mounted lamps" from Lowe's:

So it's either that, or bathroom vanity style.

The old light was just a fluorescent under cabinet light mounted on the wall, so it was ugly to look at and casting most of the light "out" instead of "down", if you catch my drift.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Something like this maybe (doesn't appear on the US site of Ikea for some reason):

http://www.ikea.com/at/de/catalog/products/60191365/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My parents are looking for a new refrigerator. Needs to be at least 69" H x 35" W x 30" D, side-by-side style, with an ice maker, one produce drawer, and one meat drawer. Also needs to work and be good, but doesn't need to be fancy. Budget is around $1000 or less if we can manage.

We just had a carton of milk go sour, so we may have to buy soon. Any help would be appreciated.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Aug 28, 2017

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
anyone know the best place to buy usb c cables? just upgraded to a phone that uses them and would like some extras

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

anyone know the best place to buy usb c cables? just upgraded to a phone that uses them and would like some extras

Monoprice?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Etrips posted:

Monoprice?

the reviews seem kind of inconsistent on whether or not they support quick charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

the reviews seem kind of inconsistent on whether or not they support quick charge

I've heard good things about Anker cables (on amazon) and I own one and it works but I don't really use any usb c devices enough to vouch for how good it actually is.