Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Papa John Misty posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can/should have my Citi AAdvantage card downgraded to that's no-fee?

+1 I don't use mine anymore but it's my oldest card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Amara posted:

What's the highest the Amazon 5% card goes in terms of sign-up bonus (I have Prime). I've finished a cycle of card sign-ups, bonuses, and cancelations and I'm looking for another card. Since I spend a bunch of money on Amazon I figure I should pick that one up but want to wait for a nice sign-up bonus. What have people seen? $75, $100?

I got a $70 sign up bonus in July.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dick Nipples posted:

I think simplicity is the standard one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Same.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

angryrobots posted:

It seems to be $40 right now so maybe I'll wait a bit.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Dick Nipples posted:

Double Cash.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I think simplicity is the standard one.

Barry posted:

Double Cash.

Thanks!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Oh yeah I always forget that's an option because I already have a double cash.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I was approved for the Amazon card on Saturday and had $70 immediately applied to my account.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I have 150k chase sapphire reserve points and 150k Marriott rewards points. I want to take a loving amazing vacation next June for my anniversary . Must be tropical, not interested in Mexico. 6-7 days preferably. I'll also continually accrue more of both points steadily for the foreseeable future. Where should we go?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ixo posted:

I have 150k chase sapphire reserve points and 150k Marriott rewards points. I want to take a loving amazing vacation next June for my anniversary . Must be tropical, not interested in Mexico. 6-7 days preferably. I'll also continually accrue more of both points steadily for the foreseeable future. Where should we go?

Costa Rica.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Animal posted:

Costa Rica.

The points from Ultimate Rewards are really good for transferring to Hyatt, and they have a pretty nice Costa Rica property: https://papagayo.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel.html

Alternately, they have a few nice Maui properties that are affordable for you points wise, and you can use Ultimate Rewards points for flights from the continental US to Hawaii.

Sorry, can't help with the Marriott points though, no experience there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ixo posted:

Where should we go?
Bali. I dunno how feasible it is to do with points but my friends who have been a few times love it. :haw:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Bali. I dunno how feasible it is to do with points but my friends who have been a few times love it. :haw:

Bali is a 24h+ journey from most of CUSA. I'd love to visit some day but if you're going on a 6 day trip, you're going to spend the entire time traveling or jet lagged.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
The Grand Hyatt on Kauai is pretty great

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I got a target offer today for the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card. 50,000 points after $2000 spend in the first 3 months, AF waived the first year and then $195 a year after that.

Is this worth it? I $2000 might be a bit of a stretch but I figure I can buy some plane tickets to see my GFs family for Christmas and get some Christmas shopping in on it.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
It's a pretty standard offer-you can often find the 50k one with $1k second requirement if $2k is going to be a stretch

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Chase cancelled my Amazon card due to disuse days before it was announced they were bumping their cash back to 5%. I never used the card because the Amazon Prime card gave 5% since the beginning. Oh well. I'm just miffed that I lose the account and it might have a diminutive negative effect on my credit score.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Heads up for those with Chase ultimate rewards/ Chase sapphire reserve: I booked a hotel with point through ultimate rewards and the reservation got canceled after it had been booked without any notification to me. Showed up at the hotel, who didn't have the reservation and was on the phone with Chase over an hour trying to get it resolved. I had to find an airbnb for the second night as they could not find me anything. Very disappointed and thinking of getting rid of my CSR as they couldn't explain why the booking was canceled without notifying me. Be careful and get confirmation with the vendor if you book anything through ultimate rewards.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Vikings posted:

Heads up for those with Chase ultimate rewards/ Chase sapphire reserve: I booked a hotel with point through ultimate rewards and the reservation got canceled after it had been booked without any notification to me. Showed up at the hotel, who didn't have the reservation and was on the phone with Chase over an hour trying to get it resolved. I had to find an airbnb for the second night as they could not find me anything. Very disappointed and thinking of getting rid of my CSR as they couldn't explain why the booking was canceled without notifying me. Be careful and get confirmation with the vendor if you book anything through ultimate rewards.

That's scary. I've never had that problem but that must have been infuriating. Keep us on the loop on how it all pans out. I think the Chase Portal is outsourced and basically is a shell for Expedia or Travelocity so they were probably the ones who hosed up which is why the Chase Rep couldn't do much about it.

If it were me I would raise hell and make them pay for your AirBNB plus compensate you with a poo poo-ton of UR points for the headache.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Animal posted:

I think the Chase Portal is outsourced and basically is a shell for Expedia or Travelocity so they were probably the ones who hosed up which is why the Chase Rep couldn't do much about it.
Yeah when I checked out of a hotel on Thursday that I had booked through Chase, they mentioned “we’ll send your receipt to Expedia” which left me confused.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

That's scary. I've never had that problem but that must have been infuriating. Keep us on the loop on how it all pans out. I think the Chase Portal is outsourced and basically is a shell for Expedia or Travelocity so they were probably the ones who hosed up which is why the Chase Rep couldn't do much about it.

If it were me I would raise hell and make them pay for your AirBNB plus compensate you with a poo poo-ton of UR points for the headache.

Will do. Probably next week as I'm camping after the airbnb (thankfully booked through the campground).

I got the sense that ultimate rewards is just a shell from my call last night, as they said their vendor canceled the booking. I don't like booking through 3rd parties as your first to get bumped so probably won't be booking through them again regardless. May keep the card if I can find enough flight /hotels to transfer points to and they can resolve this fuckup.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Vikings posted:

Will do. Probably next week as I'm camping after the airbnb (thankfully booked through the campground).

I got the sense that ultimate rewards is just a shell from my call last night, as they said their vendor canceled the booking. I don't like booking through 3rd parties as your first to get bumped so probably won't be booking through them again regardless. May keep the card if I can find enough flight /hotels to transfer points to and they can resolve this fuckup.

Yeah the card is definitely still worth it even if you don't use the travel portal, just transfer the points to Hyatt and United.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

On the topic of the CSR: my annual fee is coming up in late September, and I’m considering cancelling it before that. I assume if I book travel before cancellation that will take place after cancellation, those trips remain valid? I’d want to burn all the remaining points before cancellation.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Speaking of the Reserve, does anyone know what the travel credit deal is now that they have changed it to being on your card anniversary rather than calendar year? I already used the credit in 2016 and 2017, is it going to reset again next month at my anniversary?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thufir posted:

Speaking of the Reserve, does anyone know what the travel credit deal is now that they have changed it to being on your card anniversary rather than calendar year? I already used the credit in 2016 and 2017, is it going to reset again next month at my anniversary?

If you applied before it changed, you're subject to the old terms. Your next one's available after your Dec '17 statement date.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

On the topic of the CSR: my annual fee is coming up in late September, and I’m considering cancelling it before that. I assume if I book travel before cancellation that will take place after cancellation, those trips remain valid? I’d want to burn all the remaining points before cancellation.

Not entirely on point as I moved to the CSR, but the folks at Wells Fargo rewards (I had the By Invitation as a WF PB client, left it when I left WF PB and the card was no longer free) confirmed that yes, previously-booked but yet-to-occur rewards travel do remain booked.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I got a target offer today for the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card. 50,000 points after $2000 spend in the first 3 months, AF waived the first year and then $195 a year after that.

Is this worth it? I $2000 might be a bit of a stretch but I figure I can buy some plane tickets to see my GFs family for Christmas and get some Christmas shopping in on it.

That's the "good" version of the Gold offer, I believe. One of the better AMEX deals--the other good one is the big Platinum offer. If you have some time left in the offer period you can delay sign up until you're about to do some significant spending.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm looking to spend about 4-5k to install some central air in my house. I have the money in the bank to cover it cash, but I'd like to maybe put it on a 0% APR credit card for a year to spread out the payments so I can make some sweet interest on money and score a nice signup bonus on the card I end up going with. I talked to supplier and vendor and I can save a couple % if I pay them cash, but 3% on 5000 is only like what, $150 figure I can get a card with a sign on bonus and 0%APR and do better/break even but have the money still.

I have a couple credit cards already open, and my credit is really good (740 last I checked). What's a good one? The Blue Amex Cash seems pretty good.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm looking to spend about 4-5k to install some central air in my house. I have the money in the bank to cover it cash, but I'd like to maybe put it on a 0% APR credit card for a year to spread out the payments so I can make some sweet interest on money and score a nice signup bonus on the card I end up going with. I talked to supplier and vendor and I can save a couple % if I pay them cash, but 3% on 5000 is only like what, $150 figure I can get a card with a sign on bonus and 0%APR and do better/break even but have the money still.

I have a couple credit cards already open, and my credit is really good (740 last I checked). What's a good one? The Blue Amex Cash seems pretty good.
The Amex Cards with 0% APR are fine, nothing too exciting being offered at the moment though.
The cards that offer 0% APR usually have pretty modest sign up bonuses, I think the best one currently available is probably the Barclay Arrival+. I don't think the card is worth keeping though so have a travel plan on how to use the miles it earns.

Other choices without an annual fee are the Chase Freedom Unlimited ($150 sign up bonus, 15 month 0% APR) or Discover It ($50 bonus, 5% rotating cashback categories but all cashback is doubled for the first year).

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
I applied for the SW Premier Chase and got accepted and applied for the SW Plus Chase and received a notice that they were going to notify me via mail. I'm just trying to the Companion Pass, any idea if it's a denial? How many apply for both and get approved immediately?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How does the rental car insurance payout work with the Chase sapphire preferred card? I was under the assumption that chase card services would pay the cost of the deductible and my primary insurance would pay everything else?

I had a small accident in a rental car a couple months ago. Shortly after, I notified my insurance (USAA) and chase since I used the CSP to pay for it.

I submitted my claim a couple months ago and recently I was notified that chase card services paid the "auto damage collision waiver" or something like that for a total of ~$1600. I asked hertz if that was a full payoff and they said that there's still a balance of ~$367. My USAA insurance deductible is $250. If the remaining balance is only $367, I'll just pay it, but will my insurance rate increase if they don't pay anything? Why is there $367 left over?

I can ask hertz of course, but I want to know what I'm talking about when I ask.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

kys posted:

I applied for the SW Premier Chase and got accepted and applied for the SW Plus Chase and received a notice that they were going to notify me via mail. I'm just trying to the Companion Pass, any idea if it's a denial? How many apply for both and get approved immediately?

Reddit has made a convoluted but accurate flowchart to figure that out.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
Very helpful, thanks. I called the automated number Wednesday evening after I applied Monday morning and it still says two weeks so I should be good.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

How does the rental car insurance payout work with the Chase sapphire preferred card? I was under the assumption that chase card services would pay the cost of the deductible and my primary insurance would pay everything else?

I had a small accident in a rental car a couple months ago. Shortly after, I notified my insurance (USAA) and chase since I used the CSP to pay for it.

I submitted my claim a couple months ago and recently I was notified that chase card services paid the "auto damage collision waiver" or something like that for a total of ~$1600. I asked hertz if that was a full payoff and they said that there's still a balance of ~$367. My USAA insurance deductible is $250. If the remaining balance is only $367, I'll just pay it, but will my insurance rate increase if they don't pay anything? Why is there $367 left over?

I can ask hertz of course, but I want to know what I'm talking about when I ask.

Edit: rewriting because this was phone posting gibberish

Was there a liability issue or just damage to the car?

Don't have the language in front of me but personally I wouldn't file a claim over 400 bucks if you have a clean record otherwise. The accident free discount is probably larger than that.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 31, 2017

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

THF13 posted:

I really recommend not using 0% app cards this way, you can but it's very easy to have something unexpected come up that keeps you from paying it off and ends with you stuck in credit card debt.

Some credit cards will retroactively charge you based on the original balance for the entire interest free period if you don't pay it off in full before it ends, this is mostly found in store cards though.

The blue cash everyday is fine, just not particularly useful for most people since its only advantage over 2% everywhere cards is 3% at grocery stores. Nerdwallet keeps an updated list of what they consider the be the best 0% cards you should take a look at though.

Hi, I'm reporting back to say I decided to follow your advice and not do this. Thank you!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just received a targeted credit card offer in the mail for a Fifth Third Bank 'TRIO' card (https://apply53.com/), which advertises $350 bonus after spending $1500 in 90 days. Is there anything better out there right now for cash back?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sirotan posted:

Just received a targeted credit card offer in the mail for a Fifth Third Bank 'TRIO' card (https://apply53.com/), which advertises $350 bonus after spending $1500 in 90 days. Is there anything better out there right now for cash back?

There's a lot of $150 cash back on $500 spend cards

Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited both have that signup bonus

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

There's a lot of $150 cash back on $500 spend cards

Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited both have that signup bonus

And yet they're chase, so 5/24 ensures almost nobody who churns can take advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm trying to figure out what credit card(s) I want to have longterm.

I currently just have a bank of america platinum plus visa and get 3.75% gas / 2.5% groceries (including warehouse stores) / 1.25% cash back. It's pretty solid for no yearly fee, and I spend at most $500/mo on gas+groceries combined so something like AmEx Blue Cash Preferred is probably not worth it.

I'm looking at Citi Double Cash for general use and possibly a third card for specialty purchases. Something like Discover IT, Chase Freedom, or the Amazon card. I'm open to AmEx also. The only problem with the amazon card is that I don't have prime and probably spend under $1k per year on amazon so it will only recoup cost of the edu prime.

I'd prefer something with no yearly fee because I don't spend all that much. Is there any interesting bonus% card I'm overlooking?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 9, 2017