Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Indy is easily the best large city in the Midwest after Chicago and MSP. Now, I realize that "better than Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, and St. Louis" is the lowest of bars, but worst place in the country it is not. It's 800 miles from Florida!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theris posted:

Indy is easily the best large city in the Midwest after Chicago and MSP. Now, I realize that "better than Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, and St. Louis" is the lowest of bars, but worst place in the country it is not. It's 800 miles from Florida!

All of those cities are better than Indy, not just because some of them are legitimately good, but because Indianapolis is less a city and more a loosely affiliated collection of suburbs.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Indianapolis has the LA problem. Sprawl

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Indianapolis makes Cleveland look like Paris.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theris posted:

Of course, everyone forgets Milwaukee.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Theris posted:

Besides Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul I'd probably rather live in a college town like Madison or Ann Arbor than any of the other midwestern cities.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Best city in the Midwest is easily Grand Rapids

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

gret posted:

Besides Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul I'd probably rather live in a college town like Madison or Ann Arbor than any of the other midwestern cities.

Oh, no doubt, that's why I specified large cities.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theris posted:

Oh, no doubt, that's why I specified large cities.

I object to both this opinion and classifying Indianapolis as a "city." Bedford feels more urban than Indy.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Reynold posted:

There are plenty of places in Indy that are packed with good food, craft beer/cocktails, and fun stuff to do. Other than Main St. Speedway there's Fountain Square, Irvington, Massachusetts Ave., Broad Ripple, and that's just the more popular concentrated areas. There are a lot of places around town hidden away that are worth checking out. I mean, I'm not that big of a proponent of city livin, but if your complaint about Indy is that it sucks except for that one halfway developed street that has some beer and sandwiches, you don't know what you're talking about.

I mean there's like 100s of other cities that have the same thing and you don't need to be in loving Indiana when you do them.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

wicka posted:

I can't really speak for West Lafayette, I've only been there twice and not for a minute sober, but putting peanut butter on a cheeseburger is a god drat masterstroke.

There's a food truck here in L.A. that has a PB&J Burger. Peanut butter, grape jelly, and bacon.

:master: indeed.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

I can't really speak for West Lafayette, I've only been there twice and not for a minute sober, but putting peanut butter on a cheeseburger is a god drat masterstroke.

It's solid/good.

Also all the food is named after Purdue athletes so that's an added bonus.

gret posted:

Kent Ohio is solid as hell in that area. Kinda like a miniature version of a Big Ten town.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FuzzySkinner posted:

Kent Ohio is solid as hell in that area. Kinda like a miniature version of a Big Ten town.

Uhhh. What?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
All these people talking about their shithole midwest towns who have never experienced the horror of Atlanta.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Peanut President posted:

All these people talking about their shithole midwest towns who have never experienced the horror of Atlanta.

I pray for Sherman to rise from the dead every time I have to go thru Atlanta. :sherman:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hotlanta y'all.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My aunt lives near Atlanta, and she sucks, so I'll take y'all's word for it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

My aunt lives near Atlanta, and she sucks, so I'll take y'all's word for it.

Imagine Indiana if there was no farmland/forest between Indy, Fort Wayne, and the Louisville Suburbs. Just like small collection of skyscrapers, some mid size, then houses for a mile and then another smaller downtown, and then another, and then another, and then another, and the

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I got stupidly jealous about Cup racing at MIS today.

Kyle had a helluva race, and it was actually worth a watch.

Man I wish IndyCar could actually sell tix to ovals.

also, I guess the Mile is still standing and they have no interest in tearing it down. I guess it's used 40 weekend out of the year per the president of the Wisconsin state fairgrounds. Need to find the link, but that'a good thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Kyle had a helluva race, and it was actually worth a watch.

also, I guess the Mile is still standing and they have no interest in tearing it down. I guess it's used 40 weekend out of the year per the president of the Wisconsin state fairgrounds. Need to find the link, but that'a good thing.

They also use it for concerts during the State Fair. Hell, the race used to be State Fair weekend.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

They also use it for concerts during the State Fair. Hell, the race used to be State Fair weekend.

I still think you can make the Mile work as a race, but ...they need to give it it's old "week after Indy" date back.

For some reason that really worked out well for the sport in the past. It seems like you can sell a TV audience on an oval track after your marquee oval weekend, and the fans will want a 2nd serving of that sort of racing.

Also yeah, It's really weird how Texas World, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Ontario (Fontana's ancester), Michigan and Trenton all used to host two weekends on the old USAC calendar.

e2: In order for the Mile to work? They'd need an actual "Not poo poo" promoter like the last one. IMS, Green-Savoree, Road America (who's shown interest) could all pull it off.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 14, 2017

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

IndyCar at MIS would be the most boring race imaginable. It's flat out all the way around and incredibly easy to drive. Only way it might work is with 33 cars and it would be super pack racing.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still think you can make the Mile work as a race, but ...they need to give it it's old "week after Indy" date back.

e2: In order for the Mile to work? They'd need an actual "Not poo poo" promoter like the last one. IMS, Green-Savoree, Road America (who's shown interest) could all pull it off.

If having Road America means no Milwaukee, I'll take Road America every time

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

late to city chat but I was terribly unimpressed the couple times I've been east of the Rockies (Denver is real cool). That includes Indianapolis, the outskirts of Philly (which I'll have to head to in got-drat November) and Cincy/Louisville. Actually I take that last one back - Louisville had a pretty cool downtown bar street. Hardly a murderer's row, but still. Y'all can keep the east coast. We just need to figure out how to get people to move back from Portland to wherever they came from.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

KingShibby posted:

IndyCar at MIS would be the most boring race imaginable. It's flat out all the way around and incredibly easy to drive. Only way it might work is with 33 cars and it would be super pack racing.

Yeah cause the Michigan 500 has always been lame and not good or anything.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The CART races at MIS owned.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

MIS used to be a race of attrition and I don't remember any memorable races unless they did the gimmicky Hansford leapfrogging.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

MIS used to be a race of attrition and I don't remember any memorable races unless they did the gimmicky Hansford leapfrogging.

the Hanford Device races were as scary as more recent Texas and Fontana races have been but through the use of barn-door aero devices.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Races of attrition own.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I guess I have no choice but to convince IndyCar and MIS to reunify. Gonna pitch it for the weekend between Watkins Glen and Sonoma. Make it double points like Sonoma, market it like a trip out west blah blah blah

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
put jumps on it imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best Michigan CART race was that 1994 one where so many people blew up that Scott Goodyear won in the Kenny Bernstein car.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I always felt the best exhibition for Indianapolis Car racing is...well...right in the name.

At venues that try to mimic Indianapolis/Super Speedways. While Road Courses are not always as good on television as they are to attend (Mid Ohio), Super Speedways often represent the sport on it's biggest phase.

It's also my insane belief the IndyCar, NASCAR, and IMSA should focus on promoting it's majors again. IMSA has already done that with that Patron Endurance Cup. It's time IndyCar try to find a way to get the "Triple Crown" (or even Grand Slam if you can't choose between California and Michigan) up and running again, and NASCAR to bring back the No Bull 5/Winston Million.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 14, 2017

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

If a Michigan race was like the fontana race where every car broke down I'm 100 percent down, and I'm sure with the new aero they could get a package that isn't pack race especially since the pavement there isn't new anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, here's a thought, lower downforce means less drag.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143186-200-mph-indycars-possible-on-road-courses-in-2018

So why not 200 mph on the straights at like RA and The Glen?

:getin:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hell yeah 200 miles a loving hour straight into MacDuffie's Curve can't wait to bury another!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut President posted:

Hell yeah 200 miles a loving hour straight into MacDuffie's Curve can't wait to bury another!

I think some of the final CART cars were hitting those speeds at RA.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/robertwickens/status/897506055730724864

Request? Someone put the 2018 Dallara in the old Team Player's colors with "ARROW" as the sponsor .

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Peanut President posted:

That's what the bus stop is for though.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ABC Supply 500 Fast Facts

Race Weekend: Saturday, August 19 - Sunday, August 20

Entry List: ABC Supply 500 (PDF)

Track: Pocono Raceway, a 2.5-mile triangular oval in Long Pond, PA
Race Distance: 200 laps / 500 miles
Firestone Tire Allotment: Thirteen sets for use throughout the weekend

Twitter: @PoconoRaceway, @IndyCar, #ABCSupply500, #IndyCar
Event Website: https://www.poconoraceway.com

2016 Race Winner: Will Power (No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet)
2016 Verizon P1 Award Winner: Mikhail Aleshin (No. 7 SMP Racing Honda), 1:21.6530, 220.445 mph
Qualifying Record (Two-Laps): Juan Pablo Montoya, 1:20.4034, 223.871 mph, July 5, 2014

NBCSN Broadcasts: Qualifying, 1 p.m. ET Saturday, Aug. 19 (live); Race, 2 p.m. ET Sunday, Aug. 20 (live)

quote:

Kevin Lee is the lead announcer for the NBCSN broadcasts this weekend alongside analysts Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. Pit reporters are Jon Beekhuis, Katie Hargitt, Anders Krohn and Robin Miller.

Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network Broadcasts: The Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network is led by chief announcer Mark Jaynes, with analyst Davey Hamilton. Turn reporters are Jake Query and Nick Yeoman, with Rob Howden and Michael Young reporting from the pits. All Verizon IndyCar Series races are broadcast live on the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network, Sirius 212, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and on the INDYCAR Mobile app.

Video Streaming: All practice sessions for the ABC Supply 500 will stream live on RaceControl.IndyCar.com and on the INDYCAR YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/indycar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
THE TRICKY TRIANGLE

• Locked thread