Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Have I missed something in the new Chaos codex or can World Eaters no longer take Berserkers as troops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
No more Chaos characters on bikes, apparently. :(

:rip: Nurgle Biker Lord

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

No ridiculous 90s trenchcoats, no sale :colbert:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PierreTheMime posted:

No more Chaos characters on bikes, apparently. :(

:rip: Nurgle Biker Lord

If there were rules in the Index, you can still use 'em.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Im not really very au fait with 40k, am new to the scene, having sort of dabbled many moons ago. Is dakka dakka still the place for rumours? Basically I was just wondering when the Skitarii codex was coming out but I gather we don't know? Any info? Thanks dudes.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

We know to expect 10 Codexes by Christmas, but past the first 4 (Space Marines, Chaos, Grey Knights & Death Guard) we don't know which Codexes are coming out, or exactly when.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Necromunda proper is coming back! :hellyeah:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

!Klams posted:

Im not really very au fait with 40k, am new to the scene, having sort of dabbled many moons ago. Is dakka dakka still the place for rumours? Basically I was just wondering when the Skitarii codex was coming out but I gather we don't know? Any info? Thanks dudes.

No info on admech yet that I've seen.

As clickbaity as it can be Bell of Lost Souls is usually pretty good but it's generally decent for rumors. The news and rumors section of Bolter and Chainsword is generally pretty good too. Both seem preferable to dakka to me, which I personally can't stand.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Pendent posted:

No info on admech yet that I've seen.

As clickbaity as it can be Bell of Lost Souls is usually pretty good but it's generally decent for rumors. The news and rumors section of Bolter and Chainsword is generally pretty good too. Both seem preferable to dakka to me, which I personally can't stand.

Ok, cool, thanks! Yeah, I never got on with dakka, feels like a geocities site and it's like trying to read Craigslist or something.

It's good in a way that it's probably not this year, means I've got time to really learn my army so I can actually appreciate any changes.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

WhiteWolf123 posted:

If there were rules in the Index, you can still use 'em.

Ah that is true, forgot about that. Still seems odd to remove that as an option going forward.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

Ah that is true, forgot about that. Still seems odd to remove that as an option going forward.

Again, it's because the Codexes are only meant to represent the current range you can go in and buy off the shelf. The vast majority of the kitbashed stuff is gone. I hate having to flip between multiple books, but at least they didn't axe the options altogether.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I think someone is trying to tell me something. 1 week ago I discovered a new Warhammer store 5 minutes from my house, it gets me interested in the hobby after almost 15 years and then my favorite game of all time, Necromunda, is announced as being released soon.

Also, I bought the First Strike box set and the latest White Dwarf and the awesome guy at the store gave me 5 other back copies of the mag for free! Already subscribed for a year!

Does everyone petty much just use citadel paints these days or should I check out some other brands to save some money? Would like to paint the models in First Strike but don't necessarily want to collect either army. Leaning more towards continuing my old Eldar force, switching to Tau or Tzeentch.

Finally Warhammer Quest is really interesting me. Could I use the Chaos models in that for 40k as well?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Some more details on Necromunda (via Bolter & Chainsword)

quote:

Been speaking to Andy Hoare:

No new terrain in box
4 Gangs done already
Based on 8th edition but detailed up
Alternate activation not UGOIGO
Leaders and heavies can group activate, frostgrave style
Juves on their own may bottle it
Intelligence, willpower and cool stats from RT return!
Full campaign and skills

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Rhaegar posted:

I think someone is trying to tell me something. 1 week ago I discovered a new Warhammer store 5 minutes from my house, it gets me interested in the hobby after almost 15 years and then my favorite game of all time, Necromunda, is announced as being released soon.

Also, I bought the First Strike box set and the latest White Dwarf and the awesome guy at the store gave me 5 other back copies of the mag for free! Already subscribed for a year!

Does everyone petty much just use citadel paints these days or should I check out some other brands to save some money? Would like to paint the models in First Strike but don't necessarily want to collect either army. Leaning more towards continuing my old Eldar force, switching to Tau or Tzeentch.

Finally Warhammer Quest is really interesting me. Could I use the Chaos models in that for 40k as well?

Citadel paints are good, more pricey than other ranges but the washes, metallics and technical paints are all very good.

It wouldn't be very hard to convert the dudes from Silver Tower into some Tzeentchian 40k stuff. Tzaangors are already in 40k, Acoyltes make for good cultists, Sorcerer dude for a Heralds etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does anyone have the data sheet for the Primaris Captain with PF? Also is there any way to find out a store's anniversary date outside of calling them?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

I'm liking all of this.

Using a 25 year old ruleset creaked a bit in Shadow War, particularly because GW ceded the territory of skirmish games for so many years.

But I'm liking everything. I got shadow war so I have some terrain. Looks like my autumn project is enough terrain for Necromunda.

I'm also going to see if my daughter will be interested in Space Barbies when they are also female. She pointed out there aren't female models the first time I took her into my local GW.

On the other hand I have the most diverse local GW I've ever come across, they even have a female member of staff. They had to get a blue shirt specially made for her as no one has ever needed one in a small before.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm extremely chuffed that not only is Necromunda coming back but the starter doesn't have Orlocks in it, meaning they'll both be fresh gangs to me. And I really appreciate that GW have put the Eschers in the starter as, presumably, a genuine effort to be more inclusive towards women and girls.
And as I said elsewhere, the worst case scenario here is that we end up with more cheap terrain, and new gangs to use with the old rules.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 13, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hex Platformer makes for great Necromunda terrain.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Only problem with Hex Platformer is that the ramps with railings are too narrow for 32mm bases.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

I'm also going to see if my daughter will be interested in Space Barbies when they are also female. She pointed out there aren't female models the first time I took her into my local GW.

On the other hand I have the most diverse local GW I've ever come across, they even have a female member of staff. They had to get a blue shirt specially made for her as no one has ever needed one in a small before.

Awesome! How old is your daughter? I'm debating when to introduce my son to Warhammer. We already played through the first mission book of my old copy of Hero Quest. He loved it. He's only 5 so I think it's too early for Warhammer though.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Last night I had a game with the Dark Imperium Death Guard against my friend's mid-zilla Tyranids and he had a flying hive tyrant up against me and some of my poxwalkers managed to charge and kill it because it only had one wound left and I totally forgot that only infantry can be turned into a poxwalker so we had a hilarious moment where his hive tyrant dies and I place one of my poxwalkers where it was and I'm shouting out GOOAAAAAAAAAAL and it's midnight

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

New Necromunda is extremely cool. Good work GW.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Rhaegar posted:

Awesome! How old is your daughter? I'm debating when to introduce my son to Warhammer. We already played through the first mission book of my old copy of Hero Quest. He loved it. He's only 5 so I think it's too early for Warhammer though.

My 4yr old son understands the move x inches and charge 2D6 inches (he likes counting and tape measures). Granted this was with a plastic minion (thanks happy meal) and not a dreadnought and one of those rugs that has roads printed on it, but heck it's the closest I've had to a game of 40k/Fantasy/Sigmar in about 6-7yrs, so I'll take it.

He wants me to paint some dinosaur lizards (Seraphon) for him to move around so I'm definitely going to have to start varnishing my stuff soon, even though the great Cheshire weather (:britain:) hosed up my first attempt at varnishing many, many years ago and I swore never again to spray varnish.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Please, GW. Plastic Cawdor. Do it for both me and every single Inquisition player.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Didn't see this posted yet, useful for our Chaos players:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/13/daemons-and-thousand-sons-in-codex-chaos-space-marines-aug-13gw-homepage-post-2/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Floppychop posted:

Only problem with Hex Platformer is that the ramps with railings are too narrow for 32mm bases.

Fortunately you can make a ramp double-wide fairly easily. If the bases are 25mm it's perfect.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

"Secondly, if you’re a Thousand Sons player, you may have noticed that the Dark Hereticus discipline in the new codex is larger than the one in the Index. Don’t worry – the discipline isn’t being replaced"

Nobody tell Goose, but I think this is confirming no Tzeentch Discipline.

Maybe if there is one it'll only be for certain units, sort of like how Plaguecasters were the only Nurgle units to get their special discipline.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

"Secondly, if you’re a Thousand Sons player, you may have noticed that the Dark Hereticus discipline in the new codex is larger than the one in the Index. Don’t worry – the discipline isn’t being replaced"

Maybe if there is one it'll only be for certain units, sort of like how Plaguecasters were the only Nurgle units to get their special discipline.

I thought it was confirmed that there were 6 dark hereticus powers and 1 each for tzeench nurgle and slaanesh anyway?

jadarx
May 25, 2012

The Bee posted:

I think all they are saying is that the 3 powers in Index Chaos are not replaced by the 6 DH powers (plus the 3 God specific powers) in Codex Chaos. So if you have Codex: Chaos Marines, you can use the full selection. But if you only have the index, you can use those. It's just a weird thing to say because I don't thing any of the Index powers changed going over to the codex. You just have less to pick from.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

panascope posted:

I'm about to start working on a Knight-Acheron today, post your Knights so I can steal your paint schemes.

:orks:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Glad to see Necromunda, although I had really hoped the teaser symbol was for Imperial Guard of some type.

I played my Imperial Guard against AdMech today. Actually the game shaped up very similarly to previous ones of this match up: his Onager Dunecrawlers, Kastelan Robots etc just absolutely mince me and my shots bounce back off them. Very very frustrating, and yet I still won. It was as if luck on both sides was just going towards granting him victory in terms of models killed, but keeping me ahead on objectives. I think it shows just how much army match-ups matter, because I can do good damage against my other opponents, but barely scratch the heavier admech units. Somewhat exacerbated by consistent bad luck in the heavy weapon shooting, but my basic tactic against his army is mob him and cling on. Need to try some new units. A win's a win though!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

The Bee posted:

:(

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

!Klams posted:

I posted it a few pages back but there was a Warhammer Community (7/22 maybe?) post implying that Astra Militarum and Ad Mech would be after Grey Knights.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Newcromunda is EXTREMELY my poo poo. Also cool that I'll have three different eras of Goliaths.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Rhaegar posted:

She's 13. The craft side of it will be a much easier sell.

On the other hand I got her listening to jazz today.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

panascope posted:

I'm about to start working on a Knight-Acheron today, post your Knights so I can steal your paint schemes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Bee posted:

I really do not think this is right. Not like in the "this is wrong!" sense but in the "that doesn't mean anything" sense.

Scarab Occult could cast like 40 spells in 7th. If they don't give us new Tzeentch spells AND these, it'd be horrible. Please GW don't be that horrible.

But they're making a whole TSons codex, no way do they not give us a few more powers.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
The tzeentch discipline will come in the tzeentch book, which will be coming for sure.

They are just saying that you can use the index powers if you don't want to buy the chaos marines codex

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Black_Nexus posted:

The tzeentch discipline will come in the tzeentch book, which will be coming for sure.

They are just saying that you can use the index powers if you don't want to buy the chaos marines codex

No you still have to buy the codex and they still want you to. This is GW.

They're just explicitly saying "you can still use the index powers that aren't in the codex". That's it. That's literally all it means. "One does not replace the other" its that simple.

It has no bearing on the TSons codex.

(Why didn't they reprint all the powers in the codex? Because they want you to buy both, ugh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're saying you can use the expanded power set in the Codex if you like, rather than limit yourself to the three in the Index.

They didn't remove any powers, they added three more generic ones and one each for Tzeentch, Nurgle, and Slaanesh.