Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I remember right our esteemed senior ranking naval officer said this of being a department head "there are two things I hate: ships and sailors"

It was actually: "A succinct list of things I hate: ships and sailors."

I have since lightened my opinion on one of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

No. The Navy pays SWO O3's $75k+ dollars to agree to do two department head tours on a ship.

Edit: It's called "Blood Money" colloquially because being a department head sucks pretty badly.

And even with that big SWOCP payout there is still a huge attrition rate.
Because being a SWO sucks pretty badly.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
It's gone up a considerable amount. They're at 105K now to keep SWOs in.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I make less than an Ensign yet there has never been a time where I wondered if I made a mistake getting out. SWO life is no life at all.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ManMythLegend posted:

It was actually: "A succinct list of things I hate: ships and sailors."

I have since lightened my opinion on one of those things.

What has a ship ever done for you?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I remember right our esteemed senior ranking naval officer said this of being a department head "there are two things I hate: ships and sailors"

At least somebody's honest.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
One night on the midwatch when it was quiet I chatted with the 0-4 TAO. Freshly back on a ship from shore duty I asked why there were so many damned Ensigns running around these days. He told me that it now takes 500 Ensigns to make one CDR, where in the 90's, it only took 200. When I asked why he though that was, he yelled "LOOK AT MY LIFE, CHIEF!" with the most crazed eyes I had ever seen. CIC got REAL quiet after that.

He's out now, flipping houses somewhere. Too bad for Uncle Sam, because he was fantastic.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Oddly enough in the Danish navy it seems it's the other way around, with not even barely enough CIC POs, and almost enough SWOs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They need around 20% of swos to become department heads. They have to pay people an additional 100k and a free graduate degree while receiving full pay and benefits in school to get people to stick around.

I probably would have because i'm a moron and loved driving ships.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I probably would have because i'm a moron and loved driving ships.

Then you would have hated being a department head.

That said, I actually really enjoyed standing TAO. It was one of the very few things about the job I enjoyed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Got a speech today from a three star. He started talking about bananas.
He failed to mention he was some big wig at Walmart and the memo didn't get out to the junior sailors.
Bananas indeed.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
All this SWO bonus talk just made something apparent to me: for all the poo poo talking about swo-life, it might suck more to be an aviator now.

I don't know poo poo about the non VFA world, but the strike aviation Navy is paying people an extra $150k+ to be fighter pilots and people are still saying nope. We haven't had enough DHs two years running now.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Then you would have hated being a department head.

That said, I actually really enjoyed standing TAO. It was one of the very few things about the job I enjoyed.

Doesn't surprise me. I've been told I need to work on EOOW before TAO. I don't think they understand my priorities.

Edit:
But Re: any career advice; I'm a DH-selected O-2. It's a full six years before anybody looks at whether I'm one of the elite 80 percent that makes LCDR and about five years until I'm looked at for Early Command. I need to remember to tell people to gently caress off with advice that might improve my FITREP and stick to my guns of doing what is right, doing what I want, and doing it well.

piL fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 13, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

Doesn't surprise me. I've been told I need to work on EOOW before TAO. I don't think they understand my priorities.

Edit:
But Re: any career advice; I'm a DH-selected O-2. It's a full six years before anybody looks at whether I'm one of the elite 80 percent that makes LCDR and about five years until I'm looked at for Early Command. I need to remember to tell people to gently caress off with advice that might improve my FITREP and stick to my guns of doing what is right, doing what I want, and doing it well.

While I agree with most of the sentiment in your post, if you are even remotely interested in Early Command then you 100% need to get your EOOW now while you're a DIVO before you spend time qualing TAO.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Geizkragen posted:

All this SWO bonus talk just made something apparent to me: for all the poo poo talking about swo-life, it might suck more to be an aviator now.

I don't know poo poo about the non VFA world, but the strike aviation Navy is paying people an extra $150k+ to be fighter pilots and people are still saying nope. We haven't had enough DHs two years running now.

I don't think it sucks more. I think whats driving it is the much lower O4 selection rates combined with the borderline insane rate at which airlines are hiring right now. If those two things weren't a thing, I think VFA aviators would find their lives much more palatable.

There is one thing on which SWOS have an advantage on in the detailing of officers and that is the fact that woe unto any aviator that steps as much as a toe off "the path." I did and and it screwed me. SWOs don't seem to be nearly as rigid about what you do on your shore tour as long you don't completely fong it away. Granted their career timing is slightly different than ours since we spend a 2-3 years getting trained before we set foot in a fleet squadron and that does matter.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

vulturesrow posted:

I don't think it sucks more. I think whats driving it is the much lower O4 selection rates combined with the borderline insane rate at which airlines are hiring right now. If those two things weren't a thing, I think VFA aviators would find their lives much more palatable.

There is one thing on which SWOS have an advantage on in the detailing of officers and that is the fact that woe unto any aviator that steps as much as a toe off "the path." I did and and it screwed me. SWOs don't seem to be nearly as rigid about what you do on your shore tour as long you don't completely fong it away. Granted their career timing is slightly different than ours since we spend a 2-3 years getting trained before we set foot in a fleet squadron and that does matter.

Another thing I hear too from some of my instructors here at the squadron is that for strike, it can be pretty hard to balance work/family life. With long deployment times and then the usual extensions that can get placed on them, some guys can go almost a year without seeing their families. Work ups and training can also play a pretty big role too, especially if you're on a Growler ( I have a family friend whose a Growler pilot and I think he's getting out since he keeps getting put on extra work and his wife just had a baby a year ago).

All the married guys keep telling my class that if you go strike, its usually good to stay single (jokingly, but still some truth). I still need to ask around some more but after hearing that from a lot of strike guys, I'm feeling more and more happy putting strike as my last choice for selections (still hoping to get P-8 :pray:).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Geizkragen posted:

See if you can jump to the AF. They're paying $432k if you do the full 9 year re-up. It's not helping retention

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uh.... just got done watching a 9 month old for 30 minutes. A senior chief got stuck with someone's crotchspawn while they were testing and she pawned it off to me so she could do some work.
Whole bunch of CPO selects running around no idea why they didn't have them do it as hazing.

Not sure if this is a new low or a new high. At least I didn't have to change his nappy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Uh.... just got done watching a 9 month old for 30 minutes. A senior chief got stuck with someone's crotchspawn while they were testing and she pawned it off to me so she could do some work.
Whole bunch of CPO selects running around no idea why they didn't have them do it as hazing.

Not sure if this is a new low or a new high. At least I didn't have to change his nappy.

Lmao

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

You got paid to be a babysitter for a human that actually needs babysitting. Be happy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

You got paid to be a babysitter for a human that actually needs babysitting. Be happy.

I enjoy every minute of this really. Two CPOS got sent to me to borrow my line so they they tie themselves together in some bondage poo poo I think. I had to refresh their knot skills.

Apparently I'm the only source of spare line in this whole building. On a navy base.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I enjoy every minute of this really. Two CPOS got sent to me to borrow my line so they they tie themselves together in some bondage poo poo I think. I had to refresh their knot skills.

Apparently I'm the only source of spare line in this whole building. On a navy base.

In 2012 there was a wind storm in Everett that caused a ship under "pierside yard period" to part lines and almost hit the pier on opposite side of the harbor.

My tug responded, and they had no extra mooring lines on the ship, or on station, so we "lent" them our spare, unused, brand-new $50k plasma lines that were set to replace our old towing lines to be used for said purpose. In the meantime they had to send for lines from Brem to be trucked around...

When we got them back they were greasy and chafed as gently caress...

Tidbit, the one line hanging off the stern stbd quarter was sent over by the fed fire guys who responded first... the ship had parted all of its lines, fortunately fire arrived and saved the day... also funny were the smoking, hands in pockets guys doing nothing on the ship while things going bad.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Chief selects suck. I'd rather go to mast.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

but tradition

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Chief selects suck. I'd rather go to mast.

You won't got to mast for refusing to go through selection. You can absolutely opt the gently caress out of it and still pin on E7 and wear the exact same uniform. The other chiefs will poo poo on you forever and you won't be allowed in the treefort and will probably not make it past any retention board, but you can absolutely say gently caress it and coast as an E7 till you're out.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Mr. Nice! posted:

You won't got to mast for refusing to go through selection. You can absolutely opt the gently caress out of it and still pin on E7 and wear the exact same uniform. The other chiefs will poo poo on you forever and you won't be allowed in the treefort and will probably not make it past any retention board, but you can absolutely say gently caress it and coast as an E7 till you're out.

My Chief told me about the special table in the tree fort for non-chiefs. I just can't believe that is in my career path if I wanted to stay in. They will will never trick me again. E-6 for lyf.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

My Chief told me about the special table in the tree fort for non-chiefs. I just can't believe that is in my career path if I wanted to stay in. They will will never trick me again. E-6 for lyf.

You mean you get a private table in the private club! Bottle service

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Applying for a recruiter billet tomorrow.

I can't wait to destroy dreams and hate life.

Just kidding! I'm gonna make a difference and do what's best for the future sailors!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Applying for a recruiter billet tomorrow.

I can't wait to destroy dreams and hate life.

Just kidding! I'm gonna make a difference and do what's best for the future sailors!

blood for the blood god
More nukes for the power plant!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

blood for the blood god
More nukes for the power plant!

Jesus Christ I'm not a monster.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

Jesus Christ I'm not a monster.

Ehh being a nuke after getting out is more finding ways to tastefully turn down all the extra lucrative job offers

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

While I agree with most of the sentiment in your post, if you are even remotely interested in Early Command then you 100% need to get your EOOW now while you're a DIVO before you spend time qualing TAO.

You're right, but I don't have any designs on Command at all. I guess it's worth it to keep my options open, but based on my experience this second tour, if I stay in that length of time, something has either drastically changed about me or about the Navy (or there was a war). Or they gave me an amazing shore tour that required a signature and probably pushed my DH school start out a year.

I left my first tour feeling empowered and capable of making real change and that I had the tools available to do good things, but LCS has convinced me that none of that is true, and that the whole structure is structured to generate apathy, neuter initiative, and twist the ethics of its participants.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

I left my first tour feeling empowered and capable of making real change and that I had the tools available to do good things, but LCS has convinced me that none of that is true, and that the whole structure is structured to generate apathy, neuter initiative, and twist the ethics of its participants.

Yep, this checks out. It's good to see the LCS program hasn't changed.

That all said, your initial point about keeping your options open is true. You may hate everything second of it, but your options are exponentially better if you have it before you finish your DIVO tours. Unless you are like 110% convinced you are getting out you should be spending your time on it just in case. You'd be surprised how quickly plans change during your shore tour.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

That all said, your initial point about keeping your options open is true. You may hate everything second of it, but your options are exponentially better if you have it before you finish your DIVO tours. Unless you are like 110% convinced you are getting out you should be spending your time on it just in case. You'd be surprised how quickly plans change during your shore tour.

Seconding all this. Not a SWO but its good general advice. Leave yourself as many options as possible. Futureproofing yourself makes a lot of sense.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, I know. And I am, if only to keep my guys motivated and be better at training ensigns. But I'm still going to be pissed that I have to do this other watch instead of the one that interfaces with all of my gear.

Also, just stumbled my old DLCPO so now I'm all warm and gushy about the Navy. I'm fickle, which is all the more reason to future proof myself.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Officers sure do complain a lot about how hard their lives are. What's the hardest part: the extra pay, the private room on ship? Seriously though, how is being a dept head worse than something like LPO?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hang all nobles

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
"He killed a hooker and snorted a pound of coke and couldn't just die? Now he's going to mast and I'm going to look bad. :saddowns:"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

Officers sure do complain a lot about how hard their lives are. What's the hardest part: the extra pay, the private room on ship? Seriously though, how is being a dept head worse than something like LPO?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Sir Lucius posted:

You know those specialized skills you have or the "fun" of doing your specific in-rate job?
Imagine that those aren't there and your job consists of updating excel spreadsheets and being poo poo on by people who cannot function anywhere else and are also landwhales who scream and throw poo poo.

I also generally don't like bitching as an officer but that's the most general way I can describe it.

Also second most despised thing for me is many/most officers I have met have absolutely no personality. A deployment with them as liberty buddies can feel like solitary.

Edit:
Also preponderance of "work harder not smarter. Always appear to be doing work and make it clear that you're not <some shitbag> because of how much work you're doing"

Someone please tell me if this hits the mark at all, I want to know if my experience was unusual.

DinosaurWarfare fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 15, 2017