Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I'm all for doxxing in the form of identifying the marchers, spreading their image around social networks and sending a polite letter to their employers. If we're told that in a Capitalist society, consumers have the power to advance social policy only through their purchasing power, then this seems like the only way to go.

Doesn't that just legitimize the tactic of the alt-right to doxx Antifa and BLM marchers?

I mean, I guess a society where "when everyone is doxxed, no one will be doxxed" is one way to deal with the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

where will Trump get his next wife, then?

Meet Hope Hicks:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

How did they get away with anything? The guy who drove the car is getting charged with murder, Richard Spencer got arrested, and people are rightfully calling them Nazis all over the place.

the president is openly supporting them and normalizing them

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neo_Crimson posted:

How did they get away with anything? The guy who drove the car is getting charged with murder, Richard Spencer got arrested, and people are rightfully calling them Nazis all over the place.

covok is a huge quivering moron, that's how

evilweasel posted:

luckily the president is also widely unpopular

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Covok posted:

So, if we're going to be honest, they won yesterday, didn't they? They got carte blanc from the presidency, they got to kill someone and get away with it, they already control the narrative, everyone now fully believes the left was bad and worse than Nazis, and they're going to do it again and have full endorsement by the university to do it again in Florida?

So this is America's Reinstag fire.

I hate to admit it because I think Prester Jane chickenlittles, but she was absolutely correct. Which is horrifying when you consider all the predictions.

No, I'm pretty sure that none of these things are true and the biggest political takeaway from yesterday is that Trump hosed up an easy opportunity to make himself look good.

Trump's base isn't people who literally and openly identify as nazis or white supremacists because that is a vanishingly small group. The reason the alt-right needs to bus people in from other states for their rallies is because there aren't actually very many of them. It's pretty likely that someone is whispering in Trump's ear that he needs to give a poo poo about what these assholes think, but he doesn't. Failing to condemn white supremacists is a loss for Trump from every angle.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 13, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Doesn't that just legitimize the tactic of the alt-right to doxx Antifa and BLM marchers?

I mean, I guess a society where "when everyone is doxxed, no one will be doxxed" is one way to deal with the issue.

the threat with doxxing nazis is that their hatred will be exposed to social scorn

the threat they make doxxing antifa and blm marchers is that one of them will violently attack those marchers

that's what the difference is

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's cool that I am the biggest anti-trump person ever but if you had told me 6 months ago that 200 days into trump's presidency that a story about us drawing close to a nuclear war would get put on the back burner by a story about nazis literally killing people in the street I'd have said that was over dramatic.

I'm going to be honest, but I think I called that.

Neo_Crimson posted:

While one conservative I know in real life was willing to condemn all this, all the rest just fall into the both sides narrative that Trump gave them. It's all over right Twitter, Facebook and other social media. It's becoming the most common online narrative among voters and individuals. Reporters and say whatever they want, but if that control the narrative it doesn't matter.

I've already seen one person that I know take it to the next step and start blaming the counter-protesters. It's only a matter of time before they're the only one the right blames.

Covok fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 13, 2017

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

evilweasel posted:

A president with a 32% approval rating right now?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

It's pretty likely that someone is whispering in Trump's ear that he needs to give a poo poo about what these assholes think

its bannon

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

32% is a lot higher approval than nazis had before

because republicans are abhorrent garbage, but strongly tribal abhorrent garbage, his support boosts the support of open nazis

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Covok posted:

I'm going to be honest, but I think I called that.

Like I think we all said it, but I'm not sure we really thought it'd be so soon or so literally actually nazis killing people in the street or an actual nuclear war right away.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You didn't call anything Covok.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Why do people keep saying "Fights broke out" or "violence errupted"

thats not the truth

"Nazi's assaulted black people"

or "racists assaulted peace protesters "

is

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Covok posted:

I've already seen one person that I know take it to the next step and start blaming the counter-protesters. It's only a matter of time before they're the only one the right blames.

By "only a matter of time" you mean it'd be months ago, right?

https://www.google.com/search?q=all+lives+splatter&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcxZHV4dTVAhXowVQKHQJJBJAQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=950

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's cool that I am the biggest anti-trump person ever but if you had told me 6 months ago that 200 days into trump's presidency that a story about us drawing close to a nuclear war would get put on the back burner by a story about nazis literally killing people in the street I'd have said that was over dramatic.

Once he actually won, I think I would have believed anything. After that video of the rally where those little girls sang some kind of fascist anthem to the tune of "Over There," I understood that any world in which Trump was the President was some kind of bizarre comic book world. If tomorrow, he said "Destruction will rain from the heavens on Kim Jong... which one is it now? Il? Un? Destruction will rain on him. He's very bad, for many years now," while draped in the confederate flag, I'd just say "Well, I didn't see it coming, but I' not surprised."

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I'm all for doxxing in the form of identifying the marchers, spreading their image around social networks and sending a polite letter to their employers. If we're told that in a Capitalist society, consumers have the power to advance social policy only through their purchasing power, then this seems like the only way to go.

My only problem with this is that an innocent person who just looks like or has the same name as the nazi gets doxxed and harassed.

"I keep telling you guys you have the wrong Kirk Johnson, please look closely at my photo and see for yourself"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/896788919336919041

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

His hair is looking pretty white these days.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/SheriffClarke/status/896561258002092033

:thunk:

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

My only problem with this is that an innocent person who just looks like or has the same name as the nazi gets doxxed and harassed.

You mean exactly what they did yesterday?
https://twitter.com/MsGordo/status/896488738116714496

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Once he actually won, I think I would have believed anything. After that video of the rally where those little girls sang some kind of fascist anthem to the tune of "Over There," I understood that any world in which Trump was the President was some kind of bizarre comic book world. If tomorrow, he said "Destruction will rain from the heavens on Kim Jong... which one is it now? Il? Un? Destruction will rain on him. He's very bad, for many years now," while draped in the confederate flag, I'd just say "Well, I didn't see it coming, but I' not surprised."

"I didn't see it coming, but I'm not surprised" accurately describes just about everything I've felt since the day after the election honestly.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

When the sides are "Nazis' and "Not Nazis', not taking a side is a really loving bad thing. Arghhhhhh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

When the sides are "Nazis' and "Not Nazis', not taking a side is a really loving bad thing. Arghhhhhh.

It's David Clarke. He was rooting for the Nazis.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

The next time you think about hate speech and bathroom bills, visit a public restroom and check out the swastikas and hate slogans in every stall.

Bathrooms are safe spaces for *whom*, now?

When I was a youth we only had the Stussy sign or swastika to choose from if we were going to deface property.

The world is terrible. :argh:

Were there actually ANY enforced regulations still in place after all that poo poo?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Withnail posted:

Carrying a shield without holding a weapon in the other hand seems a little passive agressive
From what I could see most of the shields were either riot shield style, or they were 3/4" or 1" plywood, and more than a handful had metal bosses and poo poo stuck onto the front as well.

Have you ever been spear-punched or shoulder checked by someone using a 30'x30' (or often 30"x48) piece of plywood? I saw one video of a guy with one of those "tower shields" using the edge to slam it down onto a fallen counter-protestor, I think it was near the time that guy tossed the newspaper box.

I know it's really fun to say "kek look at the dork with the sheild it looks like a video game," but police use shields for a reason, and shields have been historically useful for a reason. Rubber bullets? That shield is going to turn it into a much much smaller threat than otherwise. Tear Gas? You can form a half-assed turtle and prevent it from landing underfoot within your crowd. Someone punches you? Hold up that piece of wood and they could very likely break a bone in their hand.

The difference I see when antifi use shields, is that they have specific emeergency-response people who tend to use clear signage, and then they tend to respond to emergencies to help others. There are of course going to be front line people who decide to bring a shield but it tends to be individuals rather than some organized tactic to protect the main body of the group.

When the alt-right use shields, it's no coincidence that they use roman eagles and other symbols, and roman legion tactics in order to force any opposing groups out of their space. It's entirely offensive in nature, but disguised as a defense - just like the militia who show up with guns, then stan around talking about "keeping the peace" in vague, broad terms, but you know that if they saw an antifa being curb stomped they'd ignore it, but they'd potentially respond with force to antifa or police.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Covok posted:

So, if we're going to be honest, they won yesterday, didn't they? They got carte blanc from the presidency, they got to kill someone and get away with it, they already control the narrative, everyone now fully believes the left was bad and worse than Nazis, and they're going to do it again and have full endorsement by the university to do it again in Florida?

So this is America's Reinstag fire.

I hate to admit it because I think Prester Jane chickenlittles, but she was absolutely correct. Which is horrifying when you consider all the predictions.

A whole bunch of politicians have come out openly saying this is a white separatist terrorist attack, and there been more then a few republicans calling for the sacking of Bannon, et al from the White House. It was a tragic weekend to be sure, and the nazi's may feel more empowered, but also there is a hell of a backlash to it all going on.

So far it's talk, but it's far to early to just dismiss it as all just talk. The Alt-right just 100% proved they are just straight up Nazi, which you know anyone who was paying attention already knew, but being so public a bout it, hopefully they have over played their hand.

Atwater quote and all that. While Trump may have brought back bigotry into being acceptable, for most people Nazis are still known as straight up evil.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

It's David Clarke. He was rooting for the Nazis.

yeah, he'd have been marching in that parade if he could, despite the, uh, obvious

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Boston bombing is a better example.

They specifically picked Joel because he has the same last name, similar license plate and was a progressive. He's the "false flag" oh poo poo excuse they started peddling when they didn't want to be attached to the crime.

JV was smeared by a legitimate misinformation campaign.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jippa posted:

This needs some sort of trump branding. "MAGA"
Like this?

JawKnee posted:

just need to juxtapose it with that flagpole wielding nazi from the 50's or whenever taking a swing at a guy
Honestly, I kind of feel that the guy in storm trooper armor (including a spine guard) with his back to the scuffle, apparently keeping watch for them, is plenty already. He looks like loving robocop the way that poo poo is set up. That photographer may get an award.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

I'm sensitive to public disclosure because as a government worker almost all details of my life are public record so I have an above average exposure to vigilante attack from coordinated internet mobs, unless I decline to make waves, my life could be ruined by a place like Reddit. Gov workers basically give up their first amendment, but I think there's a difference between marching for genocide and having a political opinion. If there was recourse for people when a random internet mob came after them id be ok with it but as it currently stands there's nothing to prevent the mob from photoshopping you somewhere you weren't and ruining your life. I think I will maintain my stance for privacy even if Nazis on this one. I hope that doesn't make me hypocritical.

I fully understand your concern. Even with the best intentions, the problem with doxxing is that false positives (not to mention malicious photoshopping) can ruin a person's life forever. I'm not sure what an appropriate solution here is, however.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

His hair is looking pretty white these days.

Did you know™... Most 71 year old men are not blondes!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I fully understand your concern. Even with the best intentions, the problem with doxxing is that false positives (not to mention malicious photoshopping) can ruin a person's life forever. I'm not sure what an appropriate solution here is, however.

The issue is more with crowd based doxxing rather than traditional activist methods of exposing horrible people to the general public.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

"I keep telling you guys you have the wrong Kirk Johnson, please look closely at my photo and see for yourself"

Agreed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Moral relativism is a thing.

only to morons.

spencer is immoral so what he thinks is moral or not means nothing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Neo_Crimson posted:

In the crucial November 1932 elections, the nazi party got 33% of the vote.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dr_rat posted:

A whole bunch of politicians have come out openly saying this is a white separatist terrorist attack, and there been more then a few republicans calling for the sacking of Bannon, et al from the White House. It was a tragic weekend to be sure, and the nazi's may feel more empowered, but also there is a hell of a backlash to it all going on.

So far it's talk, but it's far to early to just dismiss it as all just talk. The Alt-right just 100% proved they are just straight up Nazi, which you know anyone who was paying attention already knew, but being so public a bout it, hopefully they have over played their hand.

Atwater quote and all that. While Trump may have brought back bigotry into being acceptable, for most people Nazis are still known as straight up evil.

Most people around where I live don't even know anything happened yesterday at all, it was just another ordinary Saturday to them. The few I talked to that do know either still don't care, or mumbled something about "well, this is what happens when people get pissed off and the politicians don't do anything about it..."

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If they wanted privacy at the white power march they should have worn hoods, straight up

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
A reminder that NK is 12-15 hours ahead in time zones. So Tuesday thier time...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

BarbarianElephant posted:

I imagine his sales went through the roof, so he's probably happy.

"Sales."

Regressive have wingnut welfare where regressive super PACs and orgs buy pallets of books then give them out for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Orange Devil posted:

In the crucial November 1932 elections, the nazi party got 33% of the vote.

Don't be disingenuous, that was a Parlimentary system which combined with the seats won by other far right parties gave the fascists a clear majority.

• Locked thread