Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I would love it to be backlit but otherwise I love the Smart Cover keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My only gripe about the keyboard is how much weight it adds to the iPad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And that the fuzzy part gets filthy if you put the thing on anything but spotless surfaces

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you guys keep your Apple Pencil around? My iPad has a very thin case (only to protect scratches), so getting another with a slot is out of the question. I don't want to lose this thing only a few days after having it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i love my smart keyboard just so i can hulkamaniac rip it off in every meeting before i start writing using my apple pencil

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah, I really don't understand the hate for the 12.9 and the Smart Keyboard.

Before this, I used to use the iPad 3 with a plastic clam case style keyboard, so having a bigger screen/keyboard for essentially the same weight but less bulk is amazing.

I also like the viewing angle of the smart case when the keyboard is tucked behind the iPad. Perfect for putting on background TV when I'm working.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“buglord”" post="“475098676”"]
How do you guys keep your Apple Pencil around? My iPad has a very thin case (only to protect scratches), so getting another with a slot is out of the question. I don’t want to lose this thing only a few days after having it.
[/quote]

The answer is an Logitech Logi keyboard.

There isn’t a good answer. The lack of places to put your Pencil ranks just behind charging a Magic Mouse upside down in stupid Johnny Ives examples.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

buglord posted:

How do you guys keep your Apple Pencil around? My iPad has a very thin case (only to protect scratches), so getting another with a slot is out of the question. I don't want to lose this thing only a few days after having it.

I got a tablet sleeve and just keep the pencil in the outer pocket.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

if you take the cap off an apple pencil can smoothly insert into the rectum or urthera for easy carrying with no missing parts

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

or you could put it behind your ear like an old timey newsboy

i just use the apple leather sleeve that has the pencil holder

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I really missed the option for back protection for the 10.5 and found the Khomo back cover case that matches the official keyboard and was all of $18 on Amazon. And they have a full back and Smart Cover case with pen holder. For when you don't want to lug the keyboard around.

The 10.5 is awesome. I kind of don't want to take my touch less mac boom pro anywhere any more.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I seem to suck at Googling today, and could use a little help. If you have an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil, can you do something like handwrite a bullet list in Notes and then easily grab one of the lines and move it around? Or basically rearrange handwritten sentences?

If not, and the limitation is the Notes app, are there other good alternatives that let you do that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes you can do that in notes*. Both OneNote and Notability are good alternatives for note taking even though I’ve never committed to either.

*on iOS 11 at least you can.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks. In that case getting a pencil will simplify my wife’s work life a lot.

One more pencil question, I would guess that for the non-artist the tips should usually last for at least half a year. Am I in for an unpleasant surprise?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks. In that case getting a pencil will simplify my wife’s work life a lot.

One more pencil question, I would guess that for the non-artist the tips should usually last for at least half a year. Am I in for an unpleasant surprise?

Bought mine used and I just use it for writing notes and diagrams and its still perfect.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They give you an extra tip, but I've seen no wear on mine in the 18 or so months I've owned it.

Notability lets you lasso around text and rearrange it. It's a neat app.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I love my Apple Pencil but christ almighty I still can't get over the charging method. But also charging is hilariously fast so like 5 minutes every 2-3 days makes it a weird thing to gripe about. The Pencil makes me sorta wish I got the 12.9 inch but that makes it a bit too cumbersome for bed or car travel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nah the 12.9 is the perfect pad. Note taking and working on it is a joy.

My only gripe is that Bluebeam makes some poo poo software for it so I’m forced to only do some of my plan review/annotations on the iPad and the rest on a PC.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On beta 5 spotlight won't show the app you're searching for until you type a full exact match of the name

Cool

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Regular Nintendo posted:

On beta 5 spotlight won't show the app you're searching for until you type a full exact match of the name

Cool

A beta with a bug? Stop the presses.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Regular Nintendo posted:

Cool

You should probably put your reporting skills somewhere it can be useful

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrBond posted:

You should probably put your reporting skills somewhere it can be useful

Actually i tried this but the feedback app only will let me file reports for the 9 and 10 betas

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
My new iPad pro seems to have some small rough patches when I use my pencil. Most of the screen is really smooth and it's annoying to hit these patches. Would it be worth returning to get a new one? Paid $650 for this thing and it doesn't seem to be a common problem, so I want it perfect if possible.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You need to distribute a nice even layer of finger grease on the screen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Would it be worth returning to get a new one? Paid $650 for this thing ?

Yes

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
It appears that a 12.9 Pro is on its way to me. Is ther a best way to remote into a Mac from it? Is there a different best way to remote into other platforms?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I use Splashtop and it can remote into anything. Really great at streaming video from it, too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Regular Nintendo posted:

Cool

Works on mine just fine.

My new iPad pro seems to have some small rough patches when I use my pencil. Most of the screen is really smooth and it's annoying to hit these patches. Would it be worth returning to get a new one? Paid $650 for this thing and it doesn't seem to be a common problem, so I want it perfect if possible.

Those are places you touched it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know where the app Wishlist is in the iOS 11 App Store? Because I can’t find it. Or ways to add to it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Does anyone know where the app Wishlist is in the iOS 11 App Store? Because I can’t find it. Or ways to add to it.

It's been removed. Use Appshopper.com instead.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Regular Nintendo posted:

Actually i tried this but the feedback app only will let me file reports for the 9 and 10 betas

lol that's pretty great

Does the feedback app let you feedback on itself?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Grassy Knowles posted:

It appears that a 12.9 Pro is on its way to me. Is ther a best way to remote into a Mac from it? Is there a different best way to remote into other platforms?

I'm a fan of Screens for VNC/Mac and Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection app for RDC on Windows. And Prompt if you need ssh.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrBond posted:

lol that's pretty great

Does the feedback app let you feedback on itself?

Sort of, i can leave feedback on the ios 9 and 10 versions of it

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hmm, do you have some kind of screen protector on it? The screen is glass, so unless you've got diamond tipped sharpened nails, or have been poking it with something metal, doubt you'd scratch it.

Alternatively maybe the oleophobic coating gmhas been rubbed off or chemically damaged somehow - have you used any cleaning products on it?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

jackhunter64 posted:

I use nPlayer for MKVs and other videos, you can drag and drop the files over in iTunes and it'll Just Work™.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/nplayer-plus-the-best-media-player/id539397400?mt=8

Fantastic, this is just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I see that in iOS 11 the recently opened apps portion of the app bar also includes things you've been opening on your iPhone, with a little icon showing your currently open iPhone app. I assume this will eventually support hand-off from iPhone to iPad, but doesn't seem to currently - at least not with the Apple News test I've done with opening a story on iPhone then opening the app on iPad.

edit: Okay so I guess it does support Handoff since it tried to do a Handoff (which admittedly failed) for Awful.app. Weird that Apple's own News app doesn't support it.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 18, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Gotta say, the one thing that bugs me on my iPad Pro 12.9 is that this little grey bar appears at the bottom with shortcuts...that I never use...and it often blocks actual things in apps that I need. Like right now I'm split screening with awful app taking up 3/4 and Messenger taking up 1/4 and the shortcut thing is cover-- OK, actually I guess it just pushes the apps up but still I dont need it and it's a pain to to hide it because every time you type it comes back.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GoldfishStew posted:

Gotta say, the one thing that bugs me on my iPad Pro 12.9 is that this little grey bar appears at the bottom with shortcuts...that I never use...and it often blocks actual things in apps that I need. Like right now I'm split screening with awful app taking up 3/4 and Messenger taking up 1/4 and the shortcut thing is cover-- OK, actually I guess it just pushes the apps up but still I dont need it and it's a pain to to hide it because every time you type it comes back.
I'm guessing you're on a hardware keyboard? Try bringing the software keyboard up, holding the keyboard switch button (...not sure if you don't have multiple keyboards) and turning off the shortcuts and predictive typing options. Not sure if that'll work cause I don't have my keyboard on me, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I am on the Smart Keyboard (WHICH I LOVE) but will try that. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I also love the 12.9 keyboard combo. It allows me to travel light and still be able to handle work issues that need immediate response without taking my laptop wherever I go.