Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
So I've been doing this:

kinkouin posted:

It's been a few pages, just reminding goons if they want to get in on Iron Clay chips:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687728&pagenumber=1523&perpage=40#post475021048

Probably only going to post about this once or twice more before I commit in the pledge manager; no point in holding out for stragglers that aren't showing up.

Again, the more people we get, the more it's shared across for a cheaper price.

Would anyone else be interested in piggybacking on some KS pledges I'm on when pledge managers open?

Right now status looks like:

Maximum Apocalypse - Pledge Manager Open (No Lock-In Date Given/Found)
Fantasy Defense - Pledge Manager Open (No Lock-In Date Given/Found)
Brass: Lancashire & Birmingham - Pledge Manager Open Until 9/1
Lords of Hellas - Pledge Manager Coming Soon
Star Realms Frontiers - KS Just Ended
Epoch: The Awakening - KS Just Ended

I'm not in for many, but I'd be willing to do some late pledge stuff for people who've been on the fence for some but still want to get in late.

I know there's a guy (Game Steward) that does it, but I've been mostly giving Goons the bro discount (of no cut to me) for those interested. Obviously the downside is you wait for it to arrive to me, before paying shipping to get it to you, for whatever you want.

kinkouin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood but you keep saying you're gonna stop shilling immediately before shameless shilling. gently caress off and roll a 1

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sleekly posted:

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood but you keep saying you're gonna stop shilling immediately before shameless shilling. gently caress off and roll a 1

Yeah, you are just in a bad mood and you should know better than to post if you think you are. He's not shilling, he's offering to let people buy in to Kickstarters they missed at no personal profit.

Honestly it wouldn't be the worst idea to have a Group Buy coordination thread somewhere, but I doubt it would get much traffic.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

Yeah, you are just in a bad mood and you should know better than to post if you think you are. He's not shilling, he's offering to let people buy in to Kickstarters they missed at no personal profit.

Honestly it wouldn't be the worst idea to have a Group Buy coordination thread somewhere, but I doubt it would get much traffic.

True. My bad.
No offense meant.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm interested in the Brass chips, but is there a breakdown of denominations and amounts?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Some Numbers posted:

I'm interested in the Brass chips, but is there a breakdown of denominations and amounts?

40 X 1s, 20 X 5s,10 X 10s, 20 X 20s, 10 X 100s.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Sleekly posted:

They are just offering someone to join their pledge after the deadline, chill.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Jabor posted:

40 X 1s, 20 X 5s,10 X 10s, 20 X 20s, 10 X 100s.

Yeah, they just announced an update to say that this is accurate.

Jedit posted:

I'd do it if I could, but these are the last few KS I'm doing for a bit unless there's more interest. I skipped Founders of Gloomhaven cause I've not heard many good things about it. I had a few others I was into but waiting on my next paycheck before I go spend heavy again.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Alright, put me down for two chip sets.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Alright, put me down for two chip sets.

Sounds good, PM'd you to continue the conversation.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well, I did it. I found the guy who takes Cards Against Humanity extremely serious.

He wanted to play it, and he wanted to use a house rule that the judge could play a card too. When people pointed out that's dumb, he argued that people would pick what is objectively the funniest card and not just their own, we explained that humor is not an objective thing.

Then he got mad at people who chose answers that he didn't think were amusing and tried to argue there should be a way to institute a group veto against an unfunny pick.

:shepicide:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Skypie posted:

Well, I did it. I found the guy who takes Cards Against Humanity extremely serious.

He wanted to play it, and he wanted to use a house rule that the judge could play a card too. When people pointed out that's dumb, he argued that people would pick what is objectively the funniest card and not just their own, we explained that humor is not an objective thing.

Then he got mad at people who chose answers that he didn't think were amusing and tried to argue there should be a way to institute a group veto against an unfunny pick.

I'm glad, the more agent provocateurs attempting to dismantle Cards Against Humanity and sap all joy from it, the better.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I once had a guy insist on playing a tiebreaker round in CAH. He made the guy I was tied with give me one of his remaining cards, then I won with the card I got, which upset the guy who was tied with me. Then I made fun of them both for taking it seriously. All of which is, of course, part of a greater self-own for participating in a game of CAH.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Skypie posted:

That's just straight up pathological. :stonk:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

I'm glad, the more agent provocateurs attempting to dismantle Cards Against Humanity and sap all joy from it, the better.

I liked it when we were all early 20 somethings and broke it out after dinner.

Now, it's kinda lost the glamor. Maybe because I'm over 30 and thus all my opinions are boring and lame, but the """humor""" just doesn't strike me anymore.

The problem we seem to be having is that the hostess invites as many people as possible and then everyone wants to play the same game. There's very few games that'll seat 9+ people, and the last few months I have been trying to make the case that if so many people continue to show up, folks are gonna have to split into smaller groups to play games.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Cards Against Humanity:still dumb and bad, check.

Which of the Las Vegas games is the good one? Is it Las Vegas, or Lords of Vegas?

Or, you know, other.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just finished Pandemic Legacy. We buzzed through 7 games to wrap it this weekend, because who knows if we can see these friends again this year.

Only one of us had played a Pandemic game before starting, and it was once many years ago. Even so, over the course of the games we started to understand the strategy of how to play. Whether the game is made to challenge Pandemic lifers or encourage new players, I can't say, but we enjoyed the changing challenges and almost always felt like we had a chance to succeed.

There is a ton I would like to talk about from a game design standpoint. I'm curious about the choices they made, and both how things are different for each group, but also the way they game might be coaxing players to make certain decisions. But I don't really want to spoil things for anyone who hasn't finished it.

Well, maybe one thing: Pandemic Legacy Super-Duper Serious End Game Spoilers: .................. 11-5 .................. 731 ..................

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

El Fideo posted:

Cards Against Humanity:still dumb and bad, check.

Which of the Las Vegas games is the good one? Is it Las Vegas, or Lords of Vegas?

Or, you know, other.

They're both very good. LV is a very good filler game that everyone on earth will love.

Lords is basically monopoly without anything that makes monopoly bad.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Did the cheese and tomato sauce extensions in Tuscany that got phased out really wreck the game as much as the designers seemed to think it did? I just got my copy of Tuscany in the mail forgetting that those modules were removed from the essential edition upon re-release, and now I'm all sad because I love tomato sauce and cheese.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just finished a game of triumph and tragedy and it is immensely satisfying. There's so many ways to stop opponents and prevent runaway leads that we didn't even realize it took six hours. I needed a great 3P game and that delivered. About to eat dinner and cap off with a game of time of crisis.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Jewmanji posted:

Did the cheese and tomato sauce extensions in Tuscany that got phased out really wreck the game as much as the designers seemed to think it did? I just got my copy of Tuscany in the mail forgetting that those modules were removed from the essential edition upon re-release, and now I'm all sad because I love tomato sauce and cheese.

Having played with them, it wasn't that they wrecked the game, it's that they didn't add anything fun. It was almost tedious getting any of that poo poo going, and it really only benefit you if you were selling wine, and since you can make a good chunk of points without even doing that, it was superfluous.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do people here have any particularly strong feelings about Istanbul?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Countblanc posted:

I think it's a great light and friendly euro that's easy to learn but isn't super shallow. Definite recommend from me.

Did my second swamp mission in Gloomhaven today, so I should be retiring and unlocking the moon class soon! :toot:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Countblanc posted:

I like it a lot. With experienced people, the base game can last less than a couple of hours with almost all the players neck to neck with different strategies. The expansions are pretty good too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao gimme them fukken rubies

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Countblanc posted:

Istanbul is great! It's a pick up and deliver with some puzzles in how you move and optimize movement. There are plenty of options for how to proceed, and there's just enough randomness to make the game interesting every time. I'm also a big fan of the expansions; they're done pretty well and add some neat dimensions to the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing that keeps catching me out is 'Wait, I forgot to leave an assistant! Or wait, did I?!"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sagrada is pretty well liked as a light dice drafting game which is fine and okay but I need some slightly meatier and less abstract. Then I played Roll Player, a dice drafting game where you're min/maxing the perfect D&D character and it's the sweet spot I need for a light filler plus it's funny in a way that anyone who has played a tabletop RPG would enjoy. Everyone gets a race, character class, alignment, and background. Your race gives bonuses/penalties to attributes, your class has ideal attributes (e.g. a ranger wants 18 constitution exactly and 14-15 strength), your alignment wants to be in a certain range (e.g. truthseeker wants lawful and good), and your background has a distribution of colored dice in specific rows. Assigning a die to an attribute will do different things like moving dice around or letting you reroll. At first I thought the game was a little too simple: draft a die, assign a die, buy a card from the market, repeat. But the market cards really open up the puzzle-like nature that Sagrada lacked. The idea of the game is basically the origin of the term "munchkin" and I think it would go over better with the nerdier gamers than making stained glass windows.

I also played Ethnos and hmmm no thank you! It's a weird hybrid of set collection and area control where you're making books of matching races or like-colored areas which let you drop an influence down. Each race has a different ability, like wizards let you draw card based on book size, and there's an interesting scoring system that's randomly distributed so the value of an area could go up or down in later rounds. But ultimately the game is pretty boring. You can only do one thing, draw or attack, with your options being a market row that never refills or a blind draw off the top. After you attack you discard any unused cards to the market row. This leads to ridiculous scenarios where everyone is building up to hand size because the market row is empty for 30 turns and nobody wants their unused cards to be available to their opponents.

This is one of those games where you can customize your initial setup like you only use 5 out of 10 included monsters or something. Some are clearly better than others, in particular I wouldn't play with centaurs who have a pretty important ability that you always want to collect. I've seen people compare this favorably to small world but I would play that any day over Ethnos. The overall lack of autonomy and pacing issues don't do it any favors.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
What's the playtime difference between sagarda and roll player

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

What's the playtime difference between sagarda and roll player

4 player game of Roll Player took us an hour even with one pretty AP prone player so I'd say 15 minutes per player. Sagrada is like 5-10 minutes per player.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

al-azad posted:

4 player game of Roll Player took us an hour even with one pretty AP prone player so I'd say 15 minutes per player. Sagrada is like 5-10 minutes per player.

The first game might go a bit slower cause everyone has to read every market card and figure out how to use them and what their impact is. After that it's a breeze and alot of fun. The only downside is the prize.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

I also played Ethnos and hmmm no thank you! It's a weird hybrid of set collection and area control where you're making books of matching races or like-colored areas which let you drop an influence down. Each race has a different ability, like wizards let you draw card based on book size, and there's an interesting scoring system that's randomly distributed so the value of an area could go up or down in later rounds. But ultimately the game is pretty boring. You can only do one thing, draw or attack, with your options being a market row that never refills or a blind draw off the top. After you attack you discard any unused cards to the market row. This leads to ridiculous scenarios where everyone is building up to hand size because the market row is empty for 30 turns and nobody wants their unused cards to be available to their opponents.

This is one of those games where you can customize your initial setup like you only use 5 out of 10 included monsters or something. Some are clearly better than others, in particular I wouldn't play with centaurs who have a pretty important ability that you always want to collect. I've seen people compare this favorably to small world but I would play that any day over Ethnos. The overall lack of autonomy and pacing issues don't do it any favors.
You know about the hand limit, right? That, and the fact that you only need small sets to get your early influences onto the board, is what's supposed to make people play theirs cards instead of hoarding them.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

lockdar posted:

The first game might go a bit slower cause everyone has to read every market card and figure out how to use them and what their impact is. After that it's a breeze and alot of fun. The only downside is the prize.

God you weren't kidding about the price - $25 USD for shipping on top of 89$ for the game and expansion is eyewaterring.

I added the broken token insert initially but that wants another 50 dollars of shipping!

Will be cheaper to wait for local retail.

My other petty complaint would be the lack of translucent dice - I think they would add a ton to visuals at no real cost.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
How is Small World anyway? It's one of these games that I see everywhere and I've always wanted to play but literally no one I know has a copy and no one ever brings it up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FulsomFrank posted:

How is Small World anyway? It's one of these games that I see everywhere and I've always wanted to play but literally no one I know has a copy and no one ever brings it up.

Dull and tedious. I don't know what it really offers aside from good production values and pretty simplistic rules. But it's also one of those games where about 25% of it is spent doing nothing, since retiring your civilization takes a turn and that is all you do.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

I personally hate it. The hidden VPs mean the entire game is just "no don't attack me, THAT person is winning" like Risk, and then someone wins and the person telling everyone they were winning says "I told you so".

Note that I was the winner in one game, my wife was the one trying to convince everyone that I was winning, and I've never played a game of it since.

It's awful.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

FulsomFrank posted:

Counter to everyone else's complaints I like it a lot. It's kind of like Risk without the dice rolling. Then again it is like Risk. If you do decide to get it I kind of recommend the Underworld standalone expansion over the normal base game literally just because Underworld has better trays for the units. The base game has flat bottom trays that they'll fall flat into and be impossible to get back out again, but underworld has curved bottom ones that they'll slide nicely out of.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

The good things about Small World are (1) the variable race + attribute combos as a market row; (2) working to force opponents to put a race in decline sooner, and at worse timing; and (3) the art's fun.

The bad things are pretty much everything else. Lazily-designed hidden VP. Highly, highly political no, you need to attack Jeff, look how powerful his Trolls are gameplay that renders most race + attribute combos meaningless. Near-powerlessness to control your game destiny by your in-game choices. Turns where you do literally nothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Small World actually reminds me more of Britannia, but much shorter and without the balance. Easier to play it with a variable skill pool, though - Britannia really needs everyone to have some experience of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Small World is pretty bad in retrospect, the only reason it was ever popular is that its easy to teach and kind of sold itself as the game that would get your friends to stop playing Risk, kind of like how Catan caught on with people partly because it had the negotiation of Monopoly in a 'better' game. but board game design has advanced so much in the past decade that we no longer need mediocre replacements for bad games since we have good replacements instead.