Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there any good place to keep updated about what is going on in Boston in response to countering any unite the right bullshit that might be going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

This thread is terribly amenable to "unconditional free speech rights" at the moment.

Except they aren't unconditional. There are clear statutes - set by the supreme court not the ACLU - that outline what is appropriate speech. There's an argument that the legal definition of inciting violence is too narrow, but the case that defined the test (I can't remember the name) was decades ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mister Adequate posted:

The ACLU is absolute in their belief that the 1A is important, probably the most important aspect of the entirety of American constitutional law. Defending Nazis in their right to 1A protections doesn't just defend Nazis - it sets a powerful precedent for everyone else because if those pricks can say what they want then, well, there aren't really any worse beliefs out there. It's a very effective use of their resources in pursuit of their objectives.

I totally disagree with it and think that once you're at the point of calling for genocide, ethnic cleansing, etc., that you're in the "Shouting Fire in a crowded theater" region at best, but it's not like they're pissing their money away for no reason or just sticking their dicks in a hornet's nest for shits and giggles; they've got a meaningful and long-established policy here.

You don't think there are other people who's first amendment rights are under attack who they can use those resources to help?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/896828113698643968

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

evilweasel posted:

we can take some open land in like oklahoma and make the Official Park for Statutes of Traitors and Racists

no thanks we already have enough of those assholes. don't need more sov cits, militias, nazis, or klanners in oklahoma thanks keep em to yourself

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

mcmagic posted:

You don't think there are other people who's first amendment rights are under attack who they can use those resources to help?

Whose first amendment rights are under attack that the ACLU isn't defending? Joining a suit about TPM restrictions is hardly a use of resources.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cannot wait to see this guy punched

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

That's a bold strategy. Let's see how it works out for him.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Exactly. The issue isn't the cops can't stop Nazis because of "free speech." The issue is they choose to loving let the Nazis do almost anything yet strangely seem to remember each arcane law to bust any actual protest.

The issue is the cops support the Nazis more than their communities.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

7c Nickel posted:

QUESTION FOR THE THREAD!

When has a slope ever actually been slippery? Cause I'm getting pretty sick of hearing about the supposed danger.

It's never been as dramatic as anyone makes it out to be. There are definitely times when a misstep leads to unintended problems but off the top of my head I'm not remembering anything that was a complete and total failure due to a slip.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

I really doubt it. Its not like we have a massive epidemic of protest and rally requests being denied by the government and we need to triage which groups to help and which to let go. You have to be literal nazis before you start to get pushback on permits and approvals.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

This man is a bunch of buzzwords made flesh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The hosed up part is he might win because this world is a racist hellhole where no justice is served.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

evilweasel posted:

we can take some open land in like oklahoma and make the Official Park for Statutes of Traitors and Racists
Nah, put it in a nuclear waste disposal site. This place is not a place of honor.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Remember how the Israelis sough out and killed the people who aided in Munich in other countries with bombs and other poo poo afterwards?

I think we need to do the same thing with nazi scum.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

i think its because everyone can agree that even though it doesnt belong in a public square its a rather nice statue and should probably just be relocated to a museum fully intact, IMHO

It belongs in a landfill

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Up until he is listed as one of Mueller's key witnesses, yes.

Otherwise, yes, his reputation is shot.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Rigel posted:

I really doubt it. Its not like we have a massive epidemic of protest and rally requests being denied by the government and we need to triage which groups to help and which to let go. You have to be literal nazis before you start to get pushback on permits and approvals.

peeps have their first amendment rights violated all the time. like this guy https://www.courthousenews.com/inmate-loses-claim-over-black-panther-literature/

he didn't receive help from the ACLU. not everyone can. nazis don't have to be part of the lucky few the ACLU spends their resources on

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

What organization should I donate to now that I know the ACLU is bad. NAACP?

Edit: I patreoned that yes you're racist dude but that only goes so far.

That will be my first non-naked boobies Patreon.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"Fascist Anti-fascist riots." :thunk:

Edit: Reminds me of this jewel-

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 13, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

For example: no loving way that torch mob had an approved safety plan, it was clearly a risk of injury or property damage to have a fire wielding mob, but yet it wasn't disrupted with 3 states worth of riot cops like a candlelight vigil would if people blocked a road.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

nah i dont like robert elee but i like equestrian statues. i think a big 'ol confederate monument/statue park in bumfuck, oklarkansaw is an unironically good idea

or they can give it to me and i will put it in my backyard

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Red Baron posted:

It's never been as dramatic as anyone makes it out to be. There are definitely times when a misstep leads to unintended problems but off the top of my head I'm not remembering anything that was a complete and total failure due to a slip.

If you want a fun example of a slippery slope, Antonin Scalia's dire warning in Lawrence v. Texas that declaring anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional was only the first step of a slippery slope leading inevitably to the legalization of same-sex marriage ended up being so prophetic that it was repeatedly and gleefully cited by judges ruling against him for over a decade.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I really dont know why the ACLU bothers to defend Nazis, its not like they will win over any Republicans since they all view the ACLU as just a big left wing organization anyway.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's amazing how much more popular Obama is on twitter than Trump. Trumps bullshit" violence on many sides" tweet got 100k likes, meanwhile Obama's tweet with the little kids has 2 million likes. It must drive little Donny crazy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

If you want a fun example of a slippery slope, Antonin Scalia's dire warning in Lawrence v. Texas that declaring anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional was only the first step of a slippery slope leading inevitably to the legalization of same-sex marriage ended up being so prophetic that it was repeatedly and gleefully cited by judges ruling against him for over a decade.

yeah that owned

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I just got 3 Bingo's.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
Death to Nazis anywhere anyhow.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://mobile.twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/896828988328476675

Man Trump keeps promising to shoot people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I really dont know why the ACLU bothers to defend Nazis, its not like they will win over any Republicans since they all view the ACLU as just a big left wing organization anyway.

Because the ACLU is ideologically pro freedom of speech and they're not doing it to try to make anyone like them.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Condiv posted:

peeps have their first amendment rights violated all the time. like this guy https://www.courthousenews.com/inmate-loses-claim-over-black-panther-literature/

he didn't receive help from the ACLU. not everyone can. nazis don't have to be part of the lucky few the ACLU spends their resources on

You keep saying resources. The ACLU came out supporting the rally, like, two days before it happened. They didn't need lawyers or money - they came out and said the city was violating the law and that's about it.

Prisoner's first amendment rights are pretty hosed up. The ACLU has defended them before and they typically lose. The government has decided many times that prisoners don't have the same rights. It's wrong but it happens a thousand times everyday.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I really would like to punch a Nazi right now

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Well sign me the gently caress up for this slip and slide then.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Remember that Stewart was the guy the Trump campaign fired during the primaries for being too unhinged.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So there was a rally in Greenville SC in protest of the nazis in VA and of course this being South Carolina you can guess who showed up:

https://twitter.com/LaurenPetracca/status/896802486492770304

These were some shining examples of the white "race". Some even managed to have all of their bottom teeth
https://twitter.com/LaurenPetracca/status/896808571861651456

https://twitter.com/gwdcountydems/status/896809889481314304

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"If the President of the United States started summarily executing prisoners without a trial people would complain like snowflake liberal babies."

I hope his daughter takes notes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/bakedalaska/status/896831632564510721

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait, is Tim Kaine's kid antifa or is the alt right rear end in a top hat just conflating antifa with general protestors?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

So there was a rally in Greenville SC in protest of the nazis in VA and of course this being South Carolina you can guess who showed up:

https://twitter.com/LaurenPetracca/status/896802486492770304

These were some shining examples of the white "race". Some even managed to have all of their bottom teeth
https://twitter.com/LaurenPetracca/status/896808571861651456

https://twitter.com/gwdcountydems/status/896809889481314304

Christ, you could drive a truck through the gap in that guy's teeth. What is it with assholes with lovely opinions and missing teeth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BadOptics posted:

"Fascist Anti-fascist riots." :thunk:

Edit: Reminds me of this jewel-

According to these people, fascism is "I can't say and do what I want" instead of torches, boots on necks, nationalism, racism, militias and barbarism.

• Locked thread