Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.

Your Computer posted:

What I really don't get is why they decided to make Navirou an eldritch abomination when there are perfectly adorable and normal cattes in the same game.

Yeah, that's a weird thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Isn't he just supposed to look like Doraemon?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ziddar posted:

It doesn't even have a Japanese voice track, so you'll take your Monster Hunter gibberish and like it! :v:

Wait, it's not even Japanese? It sure sounded Japanese...ish? I don't speak a lick of it so I couldn't tell. That's even more baffling.

Point stands. Please say there's an option to turn the voices off in the full game...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AttackBacon posted:

Isn't he just supposed to look like Doraemon?

he looks like poo poo.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Silver Falcon posted:

Wait, it's not even Japanese? It sure sounded Japanese...ish? I don't speak a lick of it so I couldn't tell. That's even more baffling.

Point stands. Please say there's an option to turn the voices off in the full game...

MH-speak is pretty much designed to sound kinda Japanese, but still be gibberish. I know that at least for the Diva's songs throughout the series, the lyrics were written in Japanese, translated to French, and THEN transliterated back to Japanese. All to make it sound both similar and different at the same time. I don't think the same process is done for normal speaking. This also means that the Meowtress's amazing song at the end of Generations is entirely in gibberish. The official soundtrack does have an actual Japanese version of the song, and it sounds rather different.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Gaijinhunter got to play with Dauntless for like 12 hours. His impression are pretty positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_stNXL8rZ0

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

7c Nickel posted:

Gaijinhunter got to play with Dauntless for like 12 hours. His impression are pretty positive.

If there's anyone whose opinions I trust on stuff like this it's Gaijinhunter so this game's back on my radar. It's free to play so at least I won't be out anything but time if it turns out bad.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
From what I've seen my interest is gonna depend on the release window and how much more polished it is from the alpha. Right now, not a big draw for me.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

If there's anyone whose opinions I trust on stuff like this it's Gaijinhunter

i hope youre being sarcastic

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Dauntless felt pretty poo poo when I played it a few weekends ago. The characters are also really ugly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dragon enthusiast posted:

Gaijinhunter will lead us to a new age of prosperity.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i got a blue kut-ku in the stories demo :vince:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

dragon enthusiast posted:

Well he likes the Lance a lot and thinks the bugstick was OP in 4U (it is with a good player) so he resonates a lot with Goons :v:

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

What's your beef with gaijin hunter?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

7c Nickel posted:

I'll try it since it's free.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

My impression of Dauntless is that the weapons are boring, the monsters have two or three moves, and the art style is ugly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

My impression of Dauntless is that the weapons are boring, the monsters have two or three moves, and the art style is ugly.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'll try it since it's free.

:same: to both.

Though to be fair, it does look like it has improved since the first gameplay we saw.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

The art looks like it's inspired from Wildstar, people have been saying that the dodging is more forgiving than traditional MH games. We have for sure seen the early game and not much else, which gives the challenge aspect of the game room to grow. I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If this ends up like a Diablo 3 to PoE version of Monster Hunter, I will be more than satisfied.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've picked up like 5 Aptanoth eggs in the Stories demo. Game, please. Give me something besides Aptanoth. I'm running out of names to give the little buggers!

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

I've been revisiting HH in G and though the arts are poo poo the double note system is really good. I think the worst part of horn all around is that it prolongs what should be quick triple carts. On high lvl deviants or even some of the meaner elders +100 defense will keep a lot of people who would otherwise get blown the gently caress up instantly alive and flailing around for much longer than they normally would. Good players will take HH buffs and demolish a quest but those who aren't attacking, just eating charges and tails then chugging potions when aggro is off them a quest that would normally be failed in like 5 minutes takes 25.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Camel Camus posted:

The art looks like it's inspired from Wildstar, people have been saying that the dodging is more forgiving than traditional MH games. We have for sure seen the early game and not much else, which gives the challenge aspect of the game room to grow. I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If this ends up like a Diablo 3 to PoE version of Monster Hunter, I will be more than satisfied.

it doesn't even have carving :(

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

it doesn't even have carving :(

In my bullshit "If I ran the Zoo" american monster hunter game, my idea was that you have to buy tags from the Carver's Guild before the hunt and have to choose to attach them to things during play. After the hunt is over you they give you a random selection of parts as your percentage but you can haggle for specific bits instead or just pay extra cash to outbid their buyers.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Im so excited for everything here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqY6yXn2S4

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Only problem with that trailer is that It confirms a Diablos is in the game... gently caress that guy :(

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Lots of teases of new and returning monsters aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Holy poo poo, why wasn't this the E3 trailer??

FiftySeven posted:

Only problem with that trailer is that It confirms a Diablos is in the game... gently caress that guy :(

Is that a Plesioth eating a Barroth near the end? :stare:

Minera fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 18, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Minrad posted:

Is that a Pleisoth eating a Barroth near the end? :stare:

It's definitely not Plesioth and probably a mud-swimming species of Lavasioth which is just as trauma-inducing :argh: it makes a bunch of appearances in this trailer.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 18, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX2eK3mmIVI&t=91s

In-game weapon trees. Take all option for loot at the end.

:vince:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I wonder if our Elder Dragon friend is a Lao-Shan Lung reboot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FiftySeven posted:

Despite fighting him over and over since Freedom Unite, Diablos is one monster I never got comfortable fighting and I still hate facing him to this day.

That video about the gameplay loop is incredible though. Look at all those high-resolution armors. It's night and day with the old visuals.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Are we quite sure that XX won't be coming to the west on Switch?

I don't know a lick of Japanese but I really wanna play that bloody game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I dunno man my sense of whether this is the best or worst timeline barely functions anymore.

Best assume it's the latter tho.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX2eK3mmIVI&t=91s

In-game weapon trees. Take all option for loot at the end.

:vince:

so it turns out this game actually looks amazing :stwoon: how did they botch the E3 trailer so incredibly badly

King Crab posted:

Are we quite sure that XX won't be coming to the west on Switch?

I don't know a lick of Japanese but I really wanna play that bloody game.
they've made it abundantly clear on multiple occasions that they're not working on it, it's not a priority, and we should stop asking for it

mhxx isn't coming to the west :rip:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That trailer and the TW: WH2 Skaven release trailer have completely burnt out my joy circuits. I am currently unable to express my excitement in any mode other than flat speech. I am so excited I could vomit.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

FiftySeven posted:

counterpoint: diablos is good

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Oh poo poo it's BARROTH!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

so it turns out this game actually looks amazing :stwoon: how did they botch the E3 trailer so incredibly badly

They probably wanted to show an area you can play in at E3, I'm guessing this area wasnt/isnt ready

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Reveal Nerscylla

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yoooo my boy Barroth is back baby!

Game looks sick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriveth