Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

They're saying you can use the expanded power set in the Codex if you like, rather than limit yourself to the three in the Index.

They didn't remove any powers, they added three more generic ones and one each for Tzeentch, Nurgle, and Slaanesh.

Then why did they explicitly say the discipline isn't being replaced? If its the same but bigger... it is a replacement? So its bigger but it must be missing one of the powers or something right?

GW confusing wording as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Painted up with a friend the new objective markers - they turned out pretty rad! We're giving them away as part of a raffle for our gaming group :hellyeah:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I like those new objectives a lot, but it's a bit to spend on a set which won't always be cohesive or appropriate to the army/mission/table.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I posted it a few pages back but there was a Warhammer Community (7/22 maybe?) post implying that Astra Militarum and Ad Mech would be after Grey Knights.

God drat I hope this is the case. Would love a full codex for IG, even if there are no new models. Just looking at all those cool stratagems the Space Marines got . . . nothing to spend my 12CPs on in a brigade-detachment army!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Then why did they explicitly say the discipline isn't being replaced? If its the same but bigger... it is a replacement? So its bigger but it must be missing one of the powers or something right?

GW confusing wording as always.
It is not missing anything. What they are saying is that if you're playing Thousand Sons, you should feel free to use the new powers, trying to imply that they should also buy the new codex because that's what the community team does. No one is going to do that and they'll just find the powers online; some were already shown on the Warhammer Community page itself. Alternatively, Thousand Sons players can keep using the limited psychic options in the Index if they don't buy the codex, can't find the powers online, or are just plain dumb.

This isn't hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

It is not missing anything. What they are saying is that if you're playing Thousand Sons, you should feel free to use the new powers, trying to imply that they should also buy the new codex because that's what the community team does. No one is going to do that and they'll just find the powers online; some were already shown on the Warhammer Community page itself. Alternatively, Thousand Sons players can keep using the limited psychic options in the Index if they don't buy the codex, can't find the powers online, or are just plain dumb.

This isn't hard.

If the existing powers are included then why would you have to say that though? Index has powers A, B and C and codex has powers A, B, C, D, etc. that inherently means A, B and C are still legal from the index, no?

It shouldn't be hard but they always find a way to use confusing and/or ambiguous language when being very crystal clear wouldn't be hard.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

If the existing powers are included then why would you have to say that though? Index has powers A, B and C and codex has powers A, B, C, D, etc. that inherently means A, B and C are still legal from the index, no?

It shouldn't be hard but they always find a way to use confusing and/or ambiguous language when being very crystal clear wouldn't be hard.
:cripes:

Index:

Codex:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hard to get excited about codexes when you still ave to use the indexes. What a cluster.

Buuuuut holy poo poo are they knocking it out the park with the new gangers.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Secondly, if you’re a Thousand Sons player, you may have noticed that the Dark Hereticus discipline in the new codex is larger than the one in the Index. Don’t worry – the discipline isn’t being replaced and you won’t need to get Codex: Chaos Space Marines to keep using it. Similarly, if you have Codex: Chaos Space Marines, you’re welcome to use the expanded Dark Hereticus powers with your Thousand Sons Psykers. If you’re a Daemons player, this change also applies to Be’lakor.

All they are saying is if you want to spend the money one the new book/cards you can use it, but if you don't want to you can just use the old ones

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zaphod42 posted:

It is not confusing or ambiguous in the least.

There's two use cases for 1k Sons:

You own index but no codex. The powers in the index are still valid, you are not forced to buy the codex.

You own index and codex. You can use the powers in the codex freely.

This allows people who don't want to buy C:CSM to continue as they are but if they do buy it then they get to use the new toys. Same as Deathwatch in Index Imperium.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
It's about not invalidating little Johnny's purchase within 3 months, whilst Grognard Dave can spend 25 quid to fix the issues with Psyker heavy Chaos armies. It's a little confusingly worded, but you have to read most of the community stuff like that - they don't want to piss off people, but they obviously want to encourage you to buy it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
you are not allowed to use these rules unless you can furnish a hardcopy of the codex and a proof of purchase to your opponent

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

you are not allowed to use these rules unless you can furnish a hardcopy of the codex and a proof of purchase to your opponent

Depending on the opponent I'd prefer they have a physical copy, yes. I've had opponents turn up and summon Daemons without having the rules and stats for them, which is just bullshit. He was also running both Magnus and Ahriman in a 1750pt game, which was a little "Really? Two of the most powerful Psykers, one of which is a loving Primarch is showing up to fight my aspiring Nurgle lord for some objectives in a slightly underwhelmingly laid out battlefield, and you didn't mention this when we arranged our game?"

Always be having conversations. I was mostly miffed as I was expecting him to bring Magnus without warning, but both annoyed me as it's so unfluffy for anything but the biggest battles as they hate each other's guts.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
what about a greyscale printout of a pdf of an obviously scanned book?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Why is this post necessary?

Like I said, if the index powers are re-printed in the codex, why is saying that necessary?

Then you posted a picture of the index powers and how they're re-printed in the codex. Cool. That's what I said. That's the loving point.

Black_Nexus posted:

Secondly, if you’re a Thousand Sons player, you may have noticed that the Dark Hereticus discipline in the new codex is larger than the one in the Index. Don’t worry – the discipline isn’t being replaced and you won’t need to get Codex: Chaos Space Marines to keep using it. Similarly, if you have Codex: Chaos Space Marines, you’re welcome to use the expanded Dark Hereticus powers with your Thousand Sons Psykers. If you’re a Daemons player, this change also applies to Be’lakor.

All they are saying is if you want to spend the money one the new book/cards you can use it, but if you don't want to you can just use the old ones

So its just saying "If you haven't seen the codex, it reprints those powers, so they're still legal"

Confusing way of saying it though. It only needs to be said for people who haven't read the codex, and like I said they didn't really make that clear so it almost seems to imply something else.

Rather than saying "expanded" and "replaced" they should have simply said "The Dark Hereticus Index powers are in the Codex Dark Hereticus and still legal". That's very clear, simple, and un-ambiguous. See how easy that is?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 13, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Friendly game yes, tournament no.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Milotic posted:

It's a little confusingly worded

This was literally my only complaint. GW is often confusingly worded when rules for tabletop games should be written in as specific a way as possible. Its just silly. D&D and Magic the Gathering and X-WING Minis and every other nerd hobby out there uses crazy specific legalese language to make everything crystal clear, and GW has no problem being confusing.

They need a proofreader.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does anyone have the data sheet for the Primaris Captain with PF? Also is there any way to find out a store's anniversary date outside of calling them?

Anyone?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I might have one for you by the end of the week.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Friend, that's fine. Down at the club or a tournament (not that I'd ever do a tournament), you'd better have the original rules. If you're playing to win, you should try to avoid all grounds for doubt. Obviously if you've discussed with your opponent before hand "Hey I'd like to try these rules and proxy this army/models as that one, that Ok?" that's fine. Experimenting before investing is fine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have been reading the new Codex Chaos Space Marines on and off today at work. Probably my favorite Chaos Codex yet, and I say this as a 15 year player of World Eaters and Emperor's Children. Literally it gave me every thing I want as a Chaos player.

Basically, if you don't like the new CSM book :getout:

Also, I wish other mini games could make faction books that are half this nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have been reading the new Codex Chaos Space Marines on and off today at work. Probably my favorite Chaos Codex yet, and I say this as a 15 year player of World Eaters and Emperor's Children. Literally it gave me every thing I want as a Chaos player.

Basically, if you don't like the new CSM book :getout:

Also, I wish other mini games could make faction books that are half this nice.

And half as expensive.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SteelMentor posted:

I might have one for you by the end of the week.

Awesome. I am hoping to get one once a local GW in the MD area has their anniversary, but I want to know what options are available.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Why is this post necessary?

Like I said, if the index powers are re-printed in the codex, why is saying that necessary?

Then you posted a picture of the index powers and how they're re-printed in the codex. Cool. That's what I said. That's the loving point.
Because you were asking if it was a replacement. It is not. The three Index powers are still there and the best way to demonstrate that was through pictures of the actual discipline. It is an expansion and GW said as much. I have been saying all along that GW's stance is "If you want to use the new powers from the codex, feel free (and please buy it). If not, the Index powers are still valid."

This is only an issue because Thousand Sons use the Dark Hereticus discipline and not a unique one. This was not an issue for Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves because their librarians and equivalents have access to their own tables. Deathwatch, however, are in a similar boat as the Thousand Sons. Their librarians use the basic space marine table which was expanded from three to six powers in the codex. GW is trying to tell people they are not forced people to buy a codex they don't really need for a relatively minor update. They have simply been saying that it's ok to keep using the ones available in the Index if that is all you have. The new powers are just further options and do not invalidate or replace the old ones.

The reality is that anyone can find the powers online and will either memorize them, print them out, or go with the budget option and buy the data cards rather than fork over the money for a codex they don't need.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genghis Cohen posted:

Glad to see Necromunda, although I had really hoped the teaser symbol was for Imperial Guard of some type.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was Steel Legion but I'm happy to be wrong here.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Rumors on Faeit say that there's an incoming Steel legion and Ork release. As a guy with a ton of old Steel Legion guys, this makes me very anxious.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They could be mistaken and it's a Delaque gang.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just how necessary are anti-psyker measures in a competitive sense? "Every army must include a librarian" necessary, or what? I've yet to field a psyker outside of Grey Knights this edition and feel the loss that hard

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Sex Cannon posted:

Rumors on Faeit say that there's an incoming Steel legion and Ork release. As a guy with a ton of old Steel Legion guys, this makes me very anxious.

You and me both brother.

Still, there will always be a place for the metals.

Right?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is it considered unfair if someone uses chapter/legion tactics/stratagems against an opponent whose army doesn't have a proper codex with those things yet?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Anybody still got a link to that old Necromunda comic that was going for a while? With the most beautiful baus?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

goose willis posted:

Is it considered unfair if someone uses chapter/legion tactics/stratagems against an opponent whose army doesn't have a proper codex with those things yet?

I've been refraining from doing so mostly because the Codex player has so many more options, and also because they have free access to Relics.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

goose willis posted:

I'd ask my opponent but honestly I think it's a little silly to expect anyone to not use their codex until everyone has one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Most of my friends let me use another legion's tactics on my thousand sons, so yeah I think it's gonna be a case by case basis.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I picked up some Delaques about a year ago, psyched to have a reason to paint them- probably won't be any plastics for a while looking at the rate of Blood Bowl teams.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Most of the special traits don't seem like they'd change the entire balance of a game so I figure it'd be OK because my Tyranid friend kicks my Chaos rear end most of the time

Some of the stratagems are pretty loving powerful but they're limited-use so it's not like I can just spam them all game

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm having a little trouble understanding the wording of the Forward Operatives stratagem for Alpha Legion:

quote:

At the beginning of the first battle round but before the first turn begins

What exactly are they saying because I'm looking at this multiple times and I still don't get it

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

What exactly are they saying because I'm looking at this multiple times and I still don't get it
At the beginning of the first battle round but before the first turn begins

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Don't thoughtsmith me bro

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Saw the new primaris transport up close and it's ooooook but the stubbers are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

goose willis posted:

Literally before you make your very first unit move, do this.