Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sniep posted:

ah yes the classic never-ending battle between "The people who use something and know" and "The but-the-spec-sheet-says contrarians"

finally merging the apple and android threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

wrong. fusion is the best of both worlds.

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fusion drive owns. corestorage lv basically does an lru cache on the ssd much like megaraid cachecade. windows dolts unsurprisingly cant comprehend because its simply not possible with antiquated microsoft technology

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Agile Vector posted:

finally merging the apple and android threads

fusion whine

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows cant encrypt my hard drive, or make logical volumes, or caching, or even backups. therefore theyre all bad

ufarn
May 30, 2009
sshds are pretty cool for videogame consoles for caching frequently used maps and such, but i don't know how much 8gb of flash nand memory on a 2tb drive (seagate firecuda) does for macos users. i'm sure it has its uses

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ufarn posted:

sshds are pretty cool for videogame consoles for caching frequently used maps and such, but i don't know how much 8gb of flash nand memory on a 2tb drive (seagate firecuda) does for macos users. i'm sure it has its uses

what are you talking about? its 128gb ssd + a 1tb spinny drive on my several years old imac

code:
James-iMac:~ James$ diskutil list |grep 0:
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   0:                  Apple_HFS Funny Macintosh HD     +1.1 TB     disk2
i've never once detected that i had the limitations of a spinny disk, but again, that's experience talking, not wikipedia figures (which are obviously more correct since its totally 8gb or w/e)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
*windows crowd frantically piling into apple thred to try and Own apple-tards with completely made up figure disinformation that make things sound bad*

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ufarn posted:

as stated earlier, the smallest ssd in fusion drives are now 32gb, down from 128gb a few years ago. the /Applications folder is prioritized pretty heavily IIRC, but i actually dont know much about that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sniep posted:

*windows crowd frantically piling into apple thred to try and Own apple-tards with completely made up figure disinformation that make things sound bad*
i use a macbook and ios, sorry about your strawman

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
are the HDs in fusion drives still 5400RPM?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Doc Block posted:

are the HDs in fusion drives still 5400RPM?
isn't there a valid argument to be made that 7200 can be too noisy for some purists? i think they're p popular for nas still

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

wrong. fusion is the best of both worlds.

there's nothing good about the world of spinning hard disks so this statement doesn't make any sense

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

do you still have to defrag your fusion drives?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

do you still have to defrag your fusion drives?

petty sure macos does this automagically well enough, though if its mostly low use then the writes would be easier to store sequentially and the ssd can be rando af and still efficient for normal use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it as good as a huge gently caress off ssd

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
maybe today SSDs are cheap enough where that's the smartest option idk

back in 2014 when i got this imac, the fusion drive was a sick 2 nasty compromise that still holds up today tho and saved a poo poo ton of money vs. 1.12 tb worth of ssd

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my ~*needs*~ these days are pretty non-technical woman and/or childish when it come to storage so the 256 GB PCIe ssd in my mbp is perfectly adequate for me

i dont play video games anymore and i make enough money to pay for content that i can stream instead of hoarding anime mkvs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have 7tb of platters in my pc as god intended

and a lil sammy 256r ssd

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
got a non-fusion 512GB SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HD in my old rear end iMac and it's very needs suiting.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have an ssd boot drive and an m2 nvme drive in my Hackintosh its very needs suiting :smug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

i have an ssd boot drive and an m2 nvme drive in my Hackintosh its very needs suiting :smug:

seriously. hackintosh is the way to go for desktop hardware

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

:awesome:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fusion is really great at moving your working set to the ssd and caching your writes so that you're never waiting on the hdd but still having the fat storage volume.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

fusion is really great at moving your working set to the ssd and caching your writes so that you're never waiting on the hdd but still having the fat storage volume.

yeah, but I have fat storage volume in the form of a large ssd anyways. so who cares?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
ssd all the way. rule 36 motherfuckers!!!!!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

akadajet posted:

seriously. hackintosh is the way to go for desktop hardware

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

my ~*needs*~ these days are pretty non-technical woman and/or childish when it come to storage so the 256 GB PCIe ssd in my mbp is perfectly adequate for me

i dont play video games anymore and i make enough money to pay for content that i can stream instead of hoarding anime mkvs

im in the most lol of all futures where my aging mba is 128gb ssd and i have a drive holder for a micro sd 128gb crd in the side for slow stuff

its like fusion but the parts dont move at all

also theyre two separate drives

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Ban poors w/o at least 1TB SSDs.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

emoji posted:

Ban poors w/o at least 1TB SSDs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

streaming video is bad. streaming video is so bad

the other night we were watching a Bridge Too Far remux over wifi, but were having problems w/ subtitles so we loaded it on amazon prime. the drop in quality was absurd. it was blocky as hell and like someone had smeared vaseline all over the screen

if u arent streaming remuxes uncompressed from a nas get the gently caress out

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Agile Vector posted:

im in the most lol of all futures where my aging mba is 128gb ssd and i have a drive holder for a micro sd 128gb crd in the side for slow stuff

its like fusion but the parts dont move at all

also theyre two separate drives

wasn't there a feature of windows 7 that would turn your external flash memory into a crappy cache and every time you plugged in a usb stick it would ask you to use it?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

wasn't there a feature of windows 7 that would turn your external flash memory into a crappy cache and every time you plugged in a usb stick it would ask you to use it?

i think that started in vista, yeah. it was a weird pre ssd idea that sounded good but every cheap thumbdrive then was super slow so those files would have to be really tiny and unusually spread on the hdd to make it useful

ufarn
May 30, 2009
netflix tends to work pretty fine, except their auto buffering takes like three minutes to adjust when you start playing

apple tv has been tolerable, but godzilla was absurdly dark and undetailed, tv calibrated and all

i've tested out plex and i always end up with an infinitesimal audio desync for some reason

ideally, we'll buy 4k versions of movies and stream them, but it's definitely still a mess, especially when movies seem to get out weeks in advance in places like itunes for some reason

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i felt like most of the netflix buffering issues had been worked out, but I might be lucky with tv shows recently since theyre old and standard def originally

prime video is laffo about buffering, but i use a sony device for it so i cant tell who is the shittier part of the experience

ufarn
May 30, 2009
it seems that netflix really does it with voltron for some reason, i don't really notice it anywhere else either

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ufarn posted:

it seems that netflix really does it with voltron for some reason, i don't really notice it anywhere else either

trap sprung

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doc Block posted:

I think they got rid of it because DisplayPort or w/e doesn't support 5K @ 60hz yet or something like that. once the interconnect speeds catch up it'll hopefully come back.

they've caught up and not brought it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd be cool with lower resolution input like it maxes out at 1080p or 1600x2560 or something I'd just like to be able to plug my lovely work laptop in and use it as a monitor instead of having a whole monitor just for every other friday

• Locked thread