Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Wild one was playing on the radio at the shops and I was struck by a vision of Abbott dancing to it in his leather jacket and white v-neck shirt. I think we're all going to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/13/new-coal-plants-have-a-role-in-australias-energy-future-josh-frydenberg-says

"We will intervene in the market if the market decides not to build coal plants"

What do the Libs even stand for anymore? Is the only principle they can stick to that they hate gays and browns now?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

That is how the free market works though

you throw a lot of money at your friends and they sort of kind of maybe do what you want, then you leave government, join your friends, and the next guy in government throws you money to sort of kind of maybe do what they want

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/twiggy-snaps-branding-greens-the-party-for-paedophiles-20170811-gxucee.html
The extraordinary attack came after Mr Forrest took a confronting video to Canberra midweek, which showed numerous incidents caught on CCTV cameras of brawls, one-punch assaults, unconscious children being assaulted, and drunken melees.

Incensed by what he views as the "principled distance" of the Greens, the long-term advocate of the cashless debit card for welfare recipients, presented the video to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten, as well as crossbench parliamentarians, insisting that the period of examination should give way to the roll out of the card wherever it is requested by community leaders.

But he said the Greens declined his invitation to attend the viewing and associated talks.

:qq: The Greens wouldn't watch my Indigenous exploitation video :qq:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

norp posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/13/new-coal-plants-have-a-role-in-australias-energy-future-josh-frydenberg-says

[quote]Frydenberg said the three causes of higher electricity bills were higher gas prices, investment uncertainty and closure of coal power plants.

This is pretty hilarious considering that investment uncertainty is almost entirely due to the government's failure to lead the market through the transition to clean energy.

Renewable prices are plummeting and nobody wants to be stuck with stranded assets in the coal sector.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Mad Katter posted:

Renewable prices are plummeting and nobody wants to be stuck with stranded assets in the coal sector.

The funny thing is that it's already too late to build a coal plant, they don't stack up against renewable+backup anymore but the government isn't listening.
The only way they are cheaper is when your capital cost was paid off years ago and even then there's a reason all those old plants are closing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

:qq: The Greens wouldn't watch my Indigenous exploitation video :qq:

"Children are dying because my welfare card isn't being used" said a privileged old white man.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

MikeJF posted:

I just want to see him pushed in an interview on why he's not representing his constituency, or even the liberal voters of his, by someone who'll force their way past his prevarication.

Then again I want to see him pushed by a no-bullshit interviewer on a lot of things.

something something Burke something speech to the electors of Bristol

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

norp posted:

The funny thing is that it's already too late to build a coal plant, they don't stack up against renewable+backup anymore but the government isn't listening.
The only way they are cheaper is when your capital cost was paid off years ago and even then there's a reason all those old plants are closing.

If the Free Market, that bastion of social justice and high morals is saying "yeah nah pass on coal" maybe just maybe coal is a bad idea

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Scarecow posted:

If the Free Market, that bastion of social justice and high morals is saying "yeah nah pass on coal" maybe just maybe coal is a bad idea

*munches on a chunk of coal wrapped in onion skins while living in denial*

To be fair since when did reality, the national good or indeed anything other than lining their own pockets ever matter to the LNP?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DancingShade posted:

*munches on a chunk of coal wrapped in onion skins while living in denial*

To be fair since when did reality, the national good or indeed anything other than lining their own pockets ever matter to the LNP?

They're fighting tooth and nail against marriage equality for no good reason.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're fighting tooth and nail against marriage equality for no good reason.

Bigotry and hating that they get funny in the pants when thinking of two men or two women loving is their reason.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Recoome posted:

I'm really glad that the whole ultranationalist thing isn't as bad as the US, at least regarding street activism. There are a lot of unabashed nazis relishing in the fact that a car rammed a bunch of antifascists today (almost like a terrorist attack)

Yeah it's not like there was a really high profile case here recently where a racist fuckhead ran someone down for virulently lovely race related reasons and people applauding the racist murderers acquittal on social media

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-12/pm-attacks-sas-renewable-energy-policy/8800782?pfmredir=sm

:fork:

He's basically as empty a suit as blob shortbread now

quote:

"If you want it to replace coal-fired power with lots of renewables, it would dawn on you, you would think, with a moment's thought, that the sun doesn't shine all the time. And the wind doesn't blow all the time.

I wonder if people said the same thing about damming rivers in the olden days... "it doesn't rain all the time"

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

norp posted:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-12/pm-attacks-sas-renewable-energy-policy/8800782?pfmredir=sm

:fork:

He's basically as empty a suit as blob shortbread now

I wonder if people said the same thing about damming rivers in the olden days... "it doesn't rain all the time"

If you want it to replace renewables with lots of coal-fired power, it would dawn on you, you would think, with a moment's thought, that there is only so much coal. Eventually it will run out, and then what do we do?

If you want it to replace renewable with lots of coal-fired power, it would dawn on you, you would think, with a moment's thought, that burning coal is poisonous. Coal will smother you in your sleep and shorten your children's lifespans.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Speaking at the state Liberal Party's Annual General Meeting at the Adelaide Convention Centre, Malcolm Turnbull said South Australia had been subjected to an energy "experiment".

"People should really conduct these experiments as dangerous as that privately somewhere in expert company, rather than inflicting it on a whole state," he told party members.

We need validation from experts before we can trust renewables :thunk:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

norp posted:

"We will intervene in the market if the market decides not to build coal plants"

What do the Libs even stand for anymore? Is the only principle they can stick to that they hate gays and browns now?

norp posted:

IMO they've all been offered sweetheart deals by the mining companies to sit on the boards of their companies post politics and now they're all scared shitless that the cushy jobs they've been promised won't be around by the time they've retired.

I'd say the coal miners know the writing is on the wall and are just trying to squeeze out an extra decade or so of profit from their mines before they're rendered obsolete

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
BHP had an internal struggle in the last year about whether they start to phase in closures of geo coal and double down on coking coal. It didn't happen this time but it will begin sooner rather than later because it's amazing they even had the conversation.

Business knows what's up, but the government are too dumb to keep up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh no greens what are you doing

greens no

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Airing their dirty laundry on Four Corners is a good strategy, right?

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
On ABC breakfast this morning Virginia was talking about the Charlottesville stuff in the US and before crossing to the correspondent said "violence on both sides". She was crossing to the correspondent for an explanation as to why Trump's words has sparked outrage, which of course were "violence on many sides". She's such an idiot, and on a regular basis too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How many people have commie terrorists killed in the west in the last five years? I can't think of any, but I can think of a shitload of Breviks, this car guy, the UK stabbing of an MP, the thing in Cal, ugh others as well. Like who is the real loving enemy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This is America after 911

94 killed in jihadist terrorist attacks, 50 killed in far-right attacks, and 5 killed in far-left attacks.

I don't give a gently caress about jihadist attacks, everyone knows that's a problem, but the government should be doing something about Nazis given they're a popular enemy to start with and an actual quantifiable problem.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Barnaby Joyce is referring himself to the High Court on concerns he's a dual citizen

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Hahaha this is too good.

CAAAAARP

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

:allears:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

JBP posted:

This is America after 911

94 killed in jihadist terrorist attacks, 50 killed in far-right attacks, and 5 killed in far-left attacks.

I don't give a gently caress about jihadist attacks, everyone knows that's a problem, but the government should be doing something about Nazis given they're a popular enemy to start with and an actual quantifiable problem.

Are you talking about the American or the Australian government? Either way I think they're both pretty keen to keep the Nazis on side.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Barnaby Joyce is referring himself to the High Court on concerns he's a dual citizen

Of course he doesn't have to step down, it's not like he's a member of the Greens or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

open24hours posted:

Are you talking about the American or the Australian government? Either way I think they're both pretty keen to keep the Nazis on side.

America and I know. I am annoyed that a 32 year old woman is murdered by an identifiable outfit and nothing happens as usual.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I may be a long bow but will this cause an early election

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Of course he doesn't have to step down, it's not like he's a member of the Greens or something.

I'm a member of the Greens, and I'm not sure resigning on the spot was the greatest idea. In hindsight it is making the actions of those to come after look really lovely but it's also making some things difficult. I think Scott wanted to use it to step away but that then tied Larissa's hands.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barnaby... No

starkebn posted:

a member of the Greens, and I'm not sure resigning on the spot was the greatest idea. In hindsight it is making the actions of those to come after look really lovely but it's also making some things difficult. I think Scott wanted to use it to step away but that then tied Larissa's hands.

:same:

Who knows if Waters could have made a case at the high court over the manner in which she was made a citizen as well.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/rharris334/status/896892348017197056

Surely this will have to go to a referendum?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barnaby Joyce will probably be fine.

He wouldn't have been an NZ citizen prior to 2001, when an NZ law retroactively re-added citizenship to a bunch of people, so he can legitimately claim he did due diligence and confirmed with confidence he was a single citizen at a point in time prior to him taking office.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Barnaby Joyce will probably be fine.

He wouldn't have been an NZ citizen prior to 2001, when an NZ law retroactively re-added citizenship to a bunch of people, so he can legitimately claim he did due diligence and confirmed with confidence he was a single citizen at a point in time prior to him taking office.

It's not relevant whether he did due diligence, the constitution flat out forbids dual citizens from being MPs. (Which I still think is loving retarded.)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

One thing this saga is making me think about is how loose and lackadaisical citizenship laws are. How long has citizenship (and passports, and visas) even been a thing? Couldn't shitloads of Europeans just move to America or Australia or South America in the 19th century just because they felt like making a go of it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

freebooter posted:

It's not relevant whether he did due diligence, the constitution flat out forbids dual citizens from being MPs. (Which I still think is loving retarded.)

If you don't love it, leave it mate.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Australians let us all rejoyce.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 14, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

freebooter posted:

One thing this saga is making me think about is how loose and lackadaisical citizenship laws are. How long has citizenship (and passports, and visas) even been a thing? Couldn't shitloads of Europeans just move to America or Australia or South America in the 19th century just because they felt like making a go of it?

That was because America and Australia wanted lots of Europeans to move there at the time, rather than because of a lack of immigration regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

freebooter posted:

That's true, but the High Court is apparently likely to be forgiving in cases where due diligence is followed?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 14, 2017

• Locked thread