Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hey building/upgrading thread. Last time I was in this subforum, I got an excellent recommendation for a refurbished Lenovo T440 that has served me supremely well for school in the US in the last 34 months. Trackpad seems to be dying a slow death now, but excellent value for money over the time.

Now that I'm back in Germany, I'm looking to buy a new desktop rig for the first time since 2009. I'm looking to get the base setup with no monitor or other peripherals, a decent SSD (have good experience with an 850 Evo 250GB so far), and CPU/GPU to play the most current gaming titles in good quality. Doesn't have to be ultra-high quality, looking good at high fps on my 1.920 x 1.080 is fine for me. I'm using the second HDMI connection to hook up my television, but since I can easily play World of Tanks while watching Game of Thrones on the secondary screen, I doubt that's an issue 8 years later.
As a new feature for me, I'd love to have an option for low-effort gaming recording/uploading if that's not expensive or complicated.

My budget is in the 800-900 Euro area, and since it looks like hardware is quite a bit cheaper in the US, I think that'd leave me somewhere under a 1,000 dollar equivalent.

I used the Parts Picker in the OP, and went with a selection process that saw me pick something in my price range if it had a ton of high ratings, that's pretty much it.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

How does this look? (Not sure about a 6 core CPU, or whether the motherboard is overkill, they both seemed popular, but I'd be happy to downsize them if instead spending an extra 60 bucks on the GPU gets me better performance)
I also don't plan on overclocking, so if I should downgrade the CPU, that's fine.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.64 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($219.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $860.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-13 14:06 EDT-0400

/edit:

I guess the suggested 'moderate build' for gaming also looks pretty comparable if I switch out the HDD for an SSD
https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/wMgXsY/modest-gaming-build
Doesn't your motherboard support something better than 2400 MHz RAM? Would probably give you a decent bump without a major price hike. E: Looks like it does. Bumping RAM frequency is probably one of the best value-for-money decisions up until a certain point; $20-50 is usually all it takes.

Volta (GeForce 20x0) is also getting announced in September, so literally waiting one month could do wonders for your GPU options and price.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
You can change the country setting on pcpartpicker to get local prices~

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ufarn posted:

Doesn't your motherboard support something better than 2400 MHz RAM? Would probably give you a decent bump without a major price hike. E: Looks like it does. Bumping RAM frequency is probably one of the best value-for-money decisions up until a certain point; $20-50 is usually all it takes.

Volta (GeForce 20x0) is also getting announced in September, so literally waiting one month could do wonders for your GPU options and price.

Regarding the RAM, I've picked a 3200 variant of the same manufacturer/model in roughly the same price class, plus a similar 1060 GTX card. What's the benefit of having a 6GB version of that model vs. a 3GB one? are 90 bucks extra worth that kind of performance?

Since I'm moving, I kinda need to assemble this within the week, and I don't really mind too much that I wouldn't be getting the BEST value for money.

This is what I've found at one of my previous online shops so far.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it normal for the contacts on DDR4 RAM sticks to stick out more in the middle than at the edges? What's that about?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fleshweasel posted:

Is it normal for the contacts on DDR4 RAM sticks to stick out more in the middle than at the edges? What's that about?

Yeah, that's normal. According to wikipedia:

quote:

DDR4 DIMM modules have a slightly curved edge connector so not all of the pins are engaged at the same time during module insertion, lowering the insertion force.[12]

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Regarding the RAM, I've picked a 3200 variant of the same manufacturer/model in roughly the same price class, plus a similar 1060 GTX card. What's the benefit of having a 6GB version of that model vs. a 3GB one? are 90 bucks extra worth that kind of performance?

Since I'm moving, I kinda need to assemble this within the week, and I don't really mind too much that I wouldn't be getting the BEST value for money.

This is what I've found at one of my previous online shops so far.

Couple notes: You don't need to buy another cooler. Ryzen 5 1600 comes with a reasonable one in box that should do you fine.
Getting a 6GB 1060 is very much worth it. The 6GB refers to the video memory on the card. Having more VRAM allows for better looking games now and much better compatibility in future. There are already games that can max out 6GB VRAM. In addition, the 6GB model has some additional processing power, which helps games run better too.
Ryzen is very picky about memory. A quick google turned up a lot of people having problems with G.skill Ripjaws kits on the Tomahawk motherboard. Google for the QVL for the motherboard and pick something off that list. There should be an affordable 16GB 3200 speed kit on there (although I've heard mixed results actually getting to 3200 on Ryzen boards, might want to try 3000 instead).

Like Llamadeus said, putting this in German PCPartPicker to get a handle on it would be a good idea.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Arivia posted:

Couple notes: You don't need to buy another cooler. Ryzen 5 1600 comes with a reasonable one in box that should do you fine.
Getting a 6GB 1060 is very much worth it. The 6GB refers to the video memory on the card. Having more VRAM allows for better looking games now and much better compatibility in future. There are already games that can max out 6GB VRAM. In addition, the 6GB model has some additional processing power, which helps games run better too.
Ryzen is very picky about memory. A quick google turned up a lot of people having problems with G.skill Ripjaws kits on the Tomahawk motherboard. Google for the QVL for the motherboard and pick something off that list. There should be an affordable 16GB 3200 speed kit on there (although I've heard mixed results actually getting to 3200 on Ryzen boards, might want to try 3000 instead).

Like Llamadeus said, putting this in German PCPartPicker to get a handle on it would be a good idea.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be switching to a KFA2 1060 GTX with 6GB, and a 2x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX 3000 kit, as per the compatibility release

https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en.pdf

Parts Picker wouldn't find my specific card in the shop, but my selection should look roughly like this at the moment. Probably shopping for a case in person tomorrow, thinking about getting another Antec, if they're still around and make decent cases. Never heard of "KFA2" for graphics cards, but a bit of googling seems that they're a decent brand.

This look alright? Price estimate is off by 0.4 cents in the shop where I'm ordering, that's pretty impressive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard (€90.74 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€146.49 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€93.86 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card (€289.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€70.20 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €891.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-13 23:24 CEST+0200

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I checked the QVL for the motherboard and that memory kit should hopefully be fine.

Only other thing you might want to add if you can is a small hard disk. 250GB doesn't go very far these days, now that games are north of 50GB.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arivia posted:

I checked the QVL for the motherboard and that memory kit should hopefully be fine.

Only other thing you might want to add if you can is a small hard disk. 250GB doesn't go very far these days, now that games are north of 50GB.

Yeah, definitely. It's super easy to fill up 250GB with just the OS and a couple of modern games, especially if you want to record video. poo poo adds up quick. You can grab a 1TB HDD for a pretty decent price now, so I'd definitely toss one in there just for storage of music/documents/video/etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm honestly partial to the Air series: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-air-240-high-airflow-micro-atx-and-mini-itx-pc-case

Turn it on its side and never have to worry about GPU or HSF sag. It even comes with the rubber feet to do it.

Newegg has the black version for $79.99 after a $10 rebate and the white version for $69.99 after a $20 rebate.

I've always seen this case in builds on reddit, but I've never realized you could flip it over. That's awesome. Gonna use this one for my next build.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Khizan posted:

Yeah, definitely. It's super easy to fill up 250GB with just the OS and a couple of modern games, especially if you want to record video. poo poo adds up quick. You can grab a 1TB HDD for a pretty decent price now, so I'd definitely toss one in there just for storage of music/documents/video/etc.

Win 10 takes up like half of it right?

Picked up a 1TB for like $55. It wasn't solid state, but 1TB is 1TB...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hagie posted:

Windows 10 doesn't take up that much space. I have it on a mini PC with 32gb of storage. It's getting a little full but I have 5gb or so after I installed some software.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

My mistake. I must have some whale of a mystery program some where taking up a poo poo ton of space.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Can anyone recommend a case that supports an ATX motherboard and has a fan in front of the hard drive bay to provide extra cooling for the drives? There's too many options and I cannot find a site that lets me search by fan placement.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 14, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

khy posted:

Can anyone recommend a case that supports an ATX motherboard and has a fan in front of the hard drive bay to provide extra cooling for the drives? There's too many options and I cannot find a site that lets me search by fan placement.

Just get a Fractal Design Define R5. Fan slots and dust filters everywhere, plus it's nice and quiet to boot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

teagone posted:

I've always seen this case in builds on reddit, but I've never realized you could flip it over. That's awesome. Gonna use this one for my next build.

Yeah, I use these on my Air 540 to ensure the PSU still has plenty of space to suck in ambient air from the underside: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-4-Inch-Self-Adhesive-Rubber-RUBBERFEET/dp/B00032Q30Q

I don't know how large/tall the ones Corsair includes with the 240, since the 540 didn't come with them at all. It's nice not having to worry about HSF/GPU sag.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just get a Fractal Design Define R5. Fan slots and dust filters everywhere, plus it's nice and quiet to boot.

And it includes space for fans in front of the 3.5" drive bays, with the intake fan there by default.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Arivia posted:

Oh, that's fine, i still have two Western Digital drives with 500GB each that I'm taking out of my old desktop PC while leaving in the 250GB HDD.

Are there any crucial tips for cases these days, or should I be fine with pretty much anything that has decent ratings? I recall a modding-freak friend of mine telling me everything needs to be tool-free and modular, and and and, but I was happy with both of my previous Antec cases under 100 bucks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll check that out. Also IIRC from earlier in the thread, I want more exhaust fans than intake ones (negative pressure) to reduce dust, correct?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

khy posted:

I'll check that out. Also IIRC from earlier in the thread, I want more exhaust fans than intake ones (negative pressure) to reduce dust, correct?

No, the other way round.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, that's fine, i still have two Western Digital drives with 500GB each that I'm taking out of my old desktop PC while leaving in the 250GB HDD.

Are there any crucial tips for cases these days, or should I be fine with pretty much anything that has decent ratings? I recall a modding-freak friend of mine telling me everything needs to be tool-free and modular, and and and, but I was happy with both of my previous Antec cases under 100 bucks.

Make sure it fits your motherboard and any drives you're putting in it. If you're transplanting an optical drive too, 5.25" bays are becoming much rarer. Try to get a case with at least two fans - one intake and one exhaust - or buy an additional fan to go with. The one other thing you want to check is that it has good front panel connectors for your use - audio jacks, USB ports, etc.

Beyond that it does largely come down to personal choice and aesthetics. Anything that isn't a €20 cheapie should be okay to work with. Toolless and modular just make it easier, and are to some degree perks that just start showing up on cases at a particular point. Some cases have integrated dust filters, some are quieter, etc etc.

Edit: And Antec still sells fine cases, from what I understand.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 14, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
e: actually, nevermind

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I have a friend who made a frankly baffling decision to me a few years back and set up a system with dual SLI GeForce GTX 660's. They're looking for an upgrade for $400 or less if they can get a significant one, asked me for advice, and I'm both hampered by not really being a GPU guy (my desktop has an AMD RX 460, for crying out loud, and only because the i7 6800k doesn't have an iGPU). Is this possible? (I'm personally inclined torwards AMDs, but that's solely for Linux driver reasons and not really relevant for this friend.)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hagie posted:

hagie posted:

My mistake. I must have some whale of a mystery program some where taking up a poo poo ton of space.

IIRC, if you upgrade to W10 there is an option to backup up all your old stuff into one big file, maybe that's it. My W10 takes up about 25GB.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

hagie posted:

Run WinDirStat or similar to figure out where the space goes.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do small discrepancies between motherboard standoffs matter? I scavenged up some posts from a bucket at a computer store and am feeling paranoid about damaging anything if I install a motherboard on top of these.

edit: gently caress it, just bought a new case instead--I was overdue for one.

brap fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 15, 2017

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Two (semi-related) questions.

I got a couple of 140mm fans for intake after opening my machine for the first time and finding more dust than I was happy with. Get that positive pressure on. Any guidelines for setting a fan speed profile, or is it just "turn up until I'm bothered by the noise?"

With the additional airflow, I guess I'll go ahead and overclock my 6600k. I actually am completely okay with the frame rates I'm getting in everything I play, though, so I'm not concerned with ekeing every bit of juice out of the processor right this second. If I just run the asus AI overclocker, it won't set my rig on fire, right?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fleshweasel posted:

Do small discrepancies between motherboard standoffs matter?
Yes.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

I have a friend who made a frankly baffling decision to me a few years back and set up a system with dual SLI GeForce GTX 660's. They're looking for an upgrade for $400 or less if they can get a significant one, asked me for advice, and I'm both hampered by not really being a GPU guy (my desktop has an AMD RX 460, for crying out loud, and only because the i7 6800k doesn't have an iGPU). Is this possible? (I'm personally inclined torwards AMDs, but that's solely for Linux driver reasons and not really relevant for this friend.)

A GTX 1070 would be a huge upgrade for ~$450 in games where SLI is not supported. In SLI supported games it would be maybe 2ish times quicker.
It is however a good time to be waiting. That price should still come down over the next month or so, and early 2018 sees nVidia release Volta, at current rumours.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boxman posted:

Two (semi-related) questions.

I got a couple of 140mm fans for intake after opening my machine for the first time and finding more dust than I was happy with. Get that positive pressure on. Any guidelines for setting a fan speed profile, or is it just "turn up until I'm bothered by the noise?"

With the additional airflow, I guess I'll go ahead and overclock my 6600k. I actually am completely okay with the frame rates I'm getting in everything I play, though, so I'm not concerned with ekeing every bit of juice out of the processor right this second. If I just run the asus AI overclocker, it won't set my rig on fire, right?

Kinda depends on your fans, and other sources of noise. Case fans don't usually drown out a GPU working hard, but YMMV.
If you're on an ASUS board, just play with them in AI suite and keep them where you want them. If you run fan tuning, it will work out a minimum RPM as well, which is nice to sit them on when you're watching a quiet film over speakers or are working.

AI overclocker is ok, but don't shoot for much with it. On a 6600k that's maybe 4.5Ghz as a safe limit where autovoltages are useful. Doing it properly with an offset is safer. HWinfo can record average and peak voltages. You want that under 1.35 and 1.40 respectively. You can go higher, within spec, but it's not particularly good for long term lifespan.

e: There's an overclocking thread if you want to get a higher clock from it.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Parts should be in Friday! Case shows up tomorrow, got the 1060 yesterday. Kind of excited to have a project.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hagie posted:

Parts should be in Friday! Case shows up tomorrow, got the 1060 yesterday. Kind of excited to have a project.

Did you end up getting a dual or quad-core CPU?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I went with this bundle, which was similar to the suggestion in the OP:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3591098

Saved some money and got more RAM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Should I be expecting much of a price drop on graphics cards on Labor Day? Looking at the price history it seems like they've gone up significantly recently and not dropped nearly as much for the last two big sale days.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Hello thread.

I'm trying to navigate building my own pc. For the most part, budget is no issue, and I really just have a few general questions on how to proceed.

According to this blurb in the OP,

"
SA Performance Gamer - A high-end gaming machine targeting 1080p, 60 FPS at High details on current titles
Intel Core i5-7600K
Z270 motherboard
A large quiet CPU cooler
16 GB of DDR4-3000+ RAM
GeForce GTX 1070
500 GB S-ATA SSD"

This is a standard setup of parts that fits closely with what I'd like to do, but I'm curious if anything has changed since June to make any newer parts more desirable for a similar price point.

The ultimate goal is to have a somewhat compact box that can run a 144z 1080p display on high settings for most games, specifically ones like LoL or counter strike. I am unsure of whether these recommended parts are still desirable for this, or if I may want some slightly better hardware for going up to 144 frames.

I'd also like to be able to stream in 1080p/60f on top of whatever game/program running, and I have no idea how much more power I need out of hardware for this.

I'd also love a brief list of total parts; this list in the op is missing a few things like the case and I don't want to miss anything. I'll have no problem coming back with a part picker link, I'd just like a bit more guidance so I know what to be looking at.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Should I be expecting much of a price drop on graphics cards on Labor Day? Looking at the price history it seems like they've gone up significantly recently and not dropped nearly as much for the last two big sale days.

GPU prices go up and down because of market forces and new product launches, not sales. Nobody can tell when GPU prices will drop, and if you could then you'd be better off trading cryptocurrency with that knowledge.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was always under the impression that the whole idea of sales was prices going down.

Let me explain my thought process. Prices on cards generally go down shortly after their release. Prices (specifically on the 1050ti and 1060) have gone up. Is there a reason for this, and is there any reason to expect that to change?

For example, 5 years or so ago there was a giant hurricane or tsunami or something in Thailand that wiped out the majority of hard drive production for months. Prices went up. Is there something similar going on with graphics cards now?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's always a *chance*, but seeing as Vega's pretty much a mining card first and a gaming card second, nVidia's CEO is in no hurry, and Volta's making them tons in the professional/mega-corporate space: http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-next-gen-volta-gaming-gpus-arent-arriving-anytime-soon/

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was always under the impression that the whole idea of sales was prices going down.

Let me explain my thought process. Prices on cards generally go down shortly after their release. Prices (specifically on the 1050ti and 1060) have gone up. Is there a reason for this, and is there any reason to expect that to change?

For example, 5 years or so ago there was a giant hurricane or tsunami or something in Thailand that wiped out the majority of hard drive production for months. Prices went up. Is there something similar going on with graphics cards now?

When Vega hits with its supposed 70-100MH mining rates, we're probably going to have another ballooning in price. Especially since BTC hit $4k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cryptocurrency mining is huge right now, people are buying dozens or hundreds of 470/480/570/580 and GTX 1070, and to a lesser extent 1060s and 1080s to mine.

Non-mining GPUs are getting some upwards pressure on pricing because people who would otherwise be buying a 570/580 are forced to look at 1060s or 1080s, which is pushing up prices of those too.

If you want an example of what people are doing with them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcBGX0E8ns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, so basically crypto currency is screwing over people other than investors now.