Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

glowing-fish posted:

Mason, Ohio is an exurb of Cincinnati, about 25 miles from downtown Cincinnati. It has a median family income of over 100,000 dollars a year, and has less than 3% of the population living below the poverty line. It is in Warren County, which has voted Republican in every election since 1872. Its a posh suburb with many corporate headquarters and the one of the world's largest centers of tennis courts.

I mean, I don't know if this guy was actually that rich, but there seems to be a lot of evidence to question that these people are acting from economic anxiety because the midwest is so destitute.

fascism is a petit bourgeois ideology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

a foolish pianist posted:

If we can get a specific anti-nazi law, Germany-style, I'm all in. Absent that, cops are going to use this as an excuse to brutalize left-wing marches. The anti-ACLU position is fundamentally authoritarian and places a lot of trust in cops.

Are you for or against counter protesting? Should counter protestors just stay home?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

pkay posted:

They just openly murdered and injured innocents.

I'm sorry could you clarify your statement Mr. Trump?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Your mistake is thinking that the reasoning the left wing uses remotely affects the reasoning the right wing uses, as if their logic system is on the same planet of each other. It's a failure of imagination you're experiencing that doesn't let you picture an authoritarian mind vs. a functioning one. People with better imaginations are embarrassed for you because they have seen the same fallacy so often it's super clear to them, but not at all clear to you.
Leave my uncle alone!

I'm sorry Thomas okay, I'll make sure your lawn doesn't have any crosses burned on it until it's too late

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 14, 2017

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

pkay posted:

They just openly murdered and injured innocents.

Yes. That was this weekend. We're still in this weekend. Are you okay? Would you like us to call you a doctor?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

evilweasel posted:

there are countless sources that refute your idiotic stalinist apoligia but its so dumb its not worth more than just the first wikipedia link for a subject we all know about

lysenkoism was corrected and in spite of it the soviet union managed to have the most educated population in the history of the world. cheers

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Crain posted:

You know, maybe Pkay has a point. There's a lot more to think about when it comes to Nazi Punching than just "Fist meets Face".

This thread has a good bunch of points:

https://twitter.com/gaileyfrey/status/826147507176497152

And by more to think about I mean: Square up and wrap your knuckles.

Yeah, if you don't know what you are doing you can easily break your hands. There's a reason why everyone has hand wraps under their gloves in boxing and MMA. Before you punch a nazi, practice.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

It'd probably be easy because as the thread continues the dude had displayed his driver's permit (not even a license) on social media.

Once again a midget at 5'4" and 140.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfyS-S-IJs&t=28s

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 14, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

pkay posted:

they have been here and will continue to be here.

Their presence is a constant but their level of influence, organization and aggression is a variable. Your thinking seems like it takes the latter as a constant as well.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Nazi punching is okay because the number of nazis should be effectively zero at all times in a functional society. It should be a thing that never comes up.

If it's a policy that is going to lead to widespread violence that means that there is a widespread infestation of NAZIS at which point a country needs to have a civil war if that is what it takes to end an internal nazi uprising.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Google Butt posted:

Are you for or against counter protesting? Should counter protestors just stay home?

I don't understand where this question is coming from, but I want left-wing protests to happen, and not be prempted by right-wing cops who now have authority to arrest people for gathering.

Are you a pro-police fascist? Because it kinda sounds like you are.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Red Baron posted:

You should go to as many protests as you can, and you should counter-protest them. You don't need to instigate, these assholes will do it for you, because they're loving NAZIS.

Wake up and hear the klaxons, dude.

This is my opinion. Don't offer them a fight. They don't need it. They'll find one on their own. Be willing to protect yourself now though. Otherwise you'll be like those poor protesters who got maced an beat down by those tiki torch fascists. If you're not willing to protect yourself but still want to peacefully protest knowing you could be assaulted or killed? Well that's a drat brave thing to do. But for the rest of us it's time to gird our loins in response.

Be prepared to fight or chill. Don't instigate, but do respond.

Except for the talking heads. They could do with more black eyes and less teeth. Words are their weapons and they're using it to attempt to destroy you. They have the right to free speech, but not the freedom from consequences. If someone gets angry enough that they want to punch you despite knowing it could end up with you in jail or with a record then you deal with it.

Punch Nazis.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I mean, Elijah Muhammad was basically a father figure to him. It says something about who Malcolm was that he was able to recognize the bullshit eventually (largely due to going on hajj and talking to actual-Muslim nerds, at least as the book tells it).

oh i get it and i am glad he finaly did. it's just tragic.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

a foolish pianist posted:

I don't understand where this question is coming from, but I want left-wing protests to happen, and not be prempted by right-wing cops who now have authority to arrest people for gathering.

Are you a pro-police fascist? Because it kinda sounds like you are.

Exactly

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus, the tone of this thread since Saturday is frightening.

How fast y'all went from a free and open forum to restricting free speech.

There is not law you will be able to pass to muzzle any one group, no matter how heinous they are, or are believed to be. It is a slippery slope.

For those that have expressed concerns that allowing these views to be aired will recruit more fascists and racists - well. maybe you should take a good look at how they wind up being receptive to such crap. Muzzling speech will not change that.

We preserve free speech in this country. If we start conflating the horrible things people or groups say with what they might do, we'll wind up back here, again:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rigel posted:

Yeah, if you don't know what you are doing you can easily break your hands. There's a reason why everyone has hand wraps under their gloves in boxing and MMA. Before you punch a nazi, practice.
When I was little my high school age brother got in a fight and decided to uses the "charley horse" technique to peak his middle finger knuckle before punching. Broke it in two places AND dislocated his thumb since it was inside his fist. I never had to learn that one firsthand.

Weightlifting gloves are good for punching in a pinch. Strap them up tight, same with your boots - a blown ankle can takes months to regain full mobility, and you can rush through glass, heavy brish, etc, in a pinch or kettle..

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Alter Ego posted:

Christ, you could drive a truck through the gap in that guy's teeth. What is it with assholes with lovely opinions and missing teeth?

lovely opinions usually come from people with lovely thought processes that make lovely choices like smoking, chawing, drinking, and not brushing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
So how many deaths will it take until it's ok to punch a Nazi?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PainterofCrap posted:

There is not law you will be able to pass to muzzle any one group, no matter how heinous they are, or are believed to be. It is a slippery slope.

For those that have expressed concerns that allowing these views to be aired will recruit more fascists and racists - well. maybe you should take a good look at how they wind up being receptive to such crap. Muzzling speech will not change that.

We preserve free speech in this country. If we start conflating the horrible things people or groups say with what they might do, we'll wind up back here, again:

I'm gonna punch you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Push El Burrito posted:

We're including everything from the 1930s onwards, right?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if mccarthism was about ruining the lives of nazis he would be my hero

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you can afford it, you can also consider donating to groups that are helping to oppose them: http://www.refinery29.com/2017/08/167766/charlottesville-virginia-protest-support

I actually have money coming in for once, so I may do that instead of fantasizing about punching the Nazis that I would be too much of a chickenshit to actually punch.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Time to buy a bullhorn and learn the lyrics to Hava Nagila.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hey Johnny come lately and don't read the loving threads. No one is calling for change in laws because we generally agree that it's terrorism plain and simple.

We don't need you to come in here with your centrist luke warm takes about how oh no free speech.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PainterofCrap posted:

Free speech, sure.

Armed marches brandishing weapons and attacking innocent counterprotestors, all those things seem like a big NO to me.

I mean, maybe there's some abstract argument that can be made for open carry but on the other hand waving a gun at people is not nonviolent, even if you don't actually fire it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Shouldn't have to pass a new law to shut down an armed group marching with Nazi symbols and torches. That's not a peaceful gathering.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

You should probably consider the fact that this is a VERY American idea and not one that a large portion of the world subscribes to. Even in pretty pro free-speech countries, exceptions are made for hate speech.

And of course in Germany they specifically DO have "No Nazi poo poo" laws.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 14, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

Is there an equation for how many deaths? Is the value of the death variable to the individual's psychical, emotional and mental attributes?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

lol, this isn't a witch hunt, rear end in a top hat, they're wearing the loving Swastikas on their sleeve.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins. And at least one person has already gotten theirs bashed in.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, hate speech is not free speech.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Why do I get the feeling we are going to see lots of ground being successfully stood by nazis in the near future

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

PainterofCrap posted:

Saturday also happens to be the date of the most prolific Nazi killing of an American in decades.

It's not free speech that needs limiting, it's Nazi speech. Everyone has always been very specific about that point. It can be done, as other countries have done it. Nazi/white supremacist rhetoric is an open and obvious threat to anyone who isn't white and it's still pretty menacing to white women. That's not the kind of speech you want to preserve.

I'm sorry, I thought this was America.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

R. Guyovich posted:

lysenkoism was corrected and in spite of it the soviet union managed to have the most educated population in the history of the world. cheers

Your precious loving Soviet Union allied themselves with the OG Nazis to wipe neighboring countries off the map and literally reduce their populations to ashes.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

My problem with people who think this is -- there's no way to muzzle speech on the internet. You have to go the /pols and the 4chans and confront them but even that can only go so far. I prefer the Nazis can rally and show their faces. If you can't hear these people you can't silence them.

I've also noticed among my lefty friends who choose to ignore fascist or hell just classic conservatism -- they don't do it because they're afraid of confrontation. They ignore them because they can't vocalize their own argument. They know they're right but they don't know why they're right and they can't argue with the rightwingers and their pre-planned talking points.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

Speaking for myself and a few buddies of mine, this weekend pushed us over the line.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Free speech, sure.

Armed marches brandishing weapons and attacking innocent counterprotestors, all those things seem like a big NO to me.

I mean, maybe there's some abstract argument that can be made for open carry but on the other hand waving a gun at people is not nonviolent, even if you don't actually fire it.

So, the Black Panther Open Carrying at a protest gets a tut-tut from you?

Cause these days, it sounds like carrying around a weapon for self-defence and deterrence at any kind of protest is sounding more and more wise.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Phyein posted:

Why do I get the feeling we are going to see lots of ground being successfully stood by nazis in the near future

Maybe it has something to do with people who don't want to acknowledge the nazi and racist problem in the US.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nazis came to my home and killed someone that lives with me. gently caress 'em. Hope all the Nazis die horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

No, he personally isn't, this is true. But he's also not denouncing these fuckers and the violence they do. And this leads everyone, including those violent nazi fucks, to believe he supports them because denouncing only takes a few short words which he not only didn't say at the mic, but refused to say as he turned away while reporters asked.
And you are a loving poo poo bag for not understanding this.

• Locked thread